We don't know why more people don't have projectors. Watching movies, live sports or playing video games on a 92" screen or larger from the comforts of your own home make watching content on a regular HDTV feel like one of those screens offered during onboard flights: tiny. Oh yeah, it's usually because projectors run expensive and can be a pain to setup. But that's not the case with this portable all-in-one Epson MovieMate 62 projector. The built-in DVD player and dual Dolby 5.1 Digital DTS 10 W stereo speakers offers a true plug and play experience and we think it's an affordable excuse to invite your friends and neighbors for movie night!
The speakers aren't going to blow you away, but they would suffice for backyard movie nights in summer, and the 3LCD system offers a surprisingly bright and crisp 540p picture (standard DVD resolution) even when compared to our 720p model. And the best bonus feature? The carry-all handle, which makes handling and positioning the projector a breeze.
If you're prone to be more of a stickler for hi-def content and want to connect a HD source, you can bump up to the Epson MovieMate 85HD, which puts out a 720p picture, but is a few hundred dollars more expensive and sadly doesn't come equipped with a Blu-ray player to match the specs. We honestly think the MovieMate 62 hits the sweet spot compared to its big brother, providing a balance between features (occasional secondary use, portable entertainment, simple set-up) and cost (a few online retailers offer this unit for even less).
And the MovieMate 62 may especially appeal to those who have a healthy DVD collection, particularly for parents who want to take backyard camping with the kids to the next level. Just partner this projector up with a makeshift DIY screen, throw in some popcorn and soda pop, and you're now the coolest mom/dad on the block!
- Projection System: Epson 3LCD, 3-chip optical engine
- Driving Method: Epson Poly-silicon TFT Active Matrix
- White Light Output: 2000 lumens1 (ISO 21118 Standard)
- Color Light Ouput: 2000 lumens1
- Aspect Ratio: Native 16:9 widescreen (4:3 resize)
- Compatible with 4:3 and 2.35:1 video formats with Normal, Full or Zoom Modes
- Native Resolution: Native 540p (960 x 540)
- Lamp Type: E-TORL™ 200 W UHE
- Lamp Life: Up to 5000 hours2
- Size (projected distance): 30" – 300" wide: 2.9' – 29.9' (16:9 image)
- Keystone Correction: Vertical: ±30 degrees
- Contrast Ratio: Up to 3000:1