We were recently astonished to witness a friend who had their home unpacked and decorated within a week. Us? Not so much. We've been known to still be living out of boxes for the first month! So we've learned to pack up a few boxes with everything we'll need to keep us sane until we're all moved in. Here's what's in 'em.
- Cleaning Supplies: A bottle of glass cleaner, an all-purpose spray, a load of sponges, clean rags and rubber gloves. If the place we're moving into hasn't been cleaned before we move in, we'll also make sure to toss in a vacuum, a broom and a mop.
- Kitchen items: A skillet, a pot, coffee pot, a spatula, sharp knife, dishwashing liquid, dish towels, a set of silverware, a glass, a plate, a mug and a napkin for each person in our household.
- Basic food: Snacks to keep us going throughout the first few days, a bottle of wine or other celebratory beverage, a box of spaghetti and a jar of sauce for our first night, coffee and milk for our first few mornings.
- Clothing: A few changes of clothes; everything from underwear to socks, shoes to pajamas.
- Personal items: a basic bathroom bag including our toothbrush and razor, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, our contact lens solution and our glasses.
- Basic bedding. For our next move, we'll grab our friends trick of making our bed as soon as the frame and mattress have been put into place so we'll make sure all our bedding (and our alarm clock) is in our sanity boxes.
What have you learned to put in your boxes so you don't lose your mind those first few days?