Decorating the mantle or the tree might be a common activity for many of us right about now. But what about decorating the stair? Without a fireplace in my childhood home, we always hung the stockings from the stair rail. On Christmas morning, we'd all peek inside while sitting on the stairs. Here are a few other ideas for making the stairway into holiday-central in your home:
- Candles: Especially if you have a particularly wide stair or landing. We'd avoid it on our very narrow stair, but this sure is pretty.
- Candy: Place it in a container like these mugs or maybe paper cones for something more lightweight. It'll be there all season for a little sweet as you walk upstairs.
- Garland: Some real garland can even take the place of a Christmas tree, and it's really beautiful running up a stair.
- Banner: Hang a holiday message that runs right up the staircase.
- Lights: If you have an outlet handy, lights can really draw the eye up the railing, which can be striking. We love the festive string of lights and crystals pictured up top.