Day Week, right? As if you haven't noticed. So I wanted to write a love letter to my Valentine: Evernote. Even though, at first, this cross-platform note-taking application seemed like a short-lived software fling, it's been there for me in the most unexpected ways. I think I'm in love.
How we met:
I'm sure I first heard of Evernote on one of the dozens of tech blogs in my reader. At first, it seemed like a good place to stash away all the notes I usually would put in a Sticky on my Mac or in the Notes App on my iPhone. At least I'd be able to access my boyfriend's pants size or my voice mail password where ever I needed it.
Why I'm falling in love:
Oh. Em. Gee. It's so much more than that. The cross-platform, notes in the cloud thing was great, for sure. But I'm finding a million other ways to use Evernote to make my life easier:
- Platform-syncing and file-sharing. At home, I'm on a Mac. At the office, I'm on a PC. Everywhere else, I'm on my iPhone. Previously, when I needed to be able to take anything back and forth, I'd stash it on my flash drive. Not anymore. Evernote is my go-to file sharing system.
- Bookmarks. Also, I never save bookmarks in my browser anymore. I just send the link to Evernote (with it's super-handy Firefox Extension) and all of my bookmarks are accessible anywhere.
- Coupons. I love subscribing to my favorite store's e-mail blasts (They're usually loaded with money-saving deals), but I hate having all that extra e-mail clutter. I started providing my Evernote email when I sign up (You're provided a unique address to sned notes to Evernote via e-mail). Now, when stores send me coupons, they're sent straight to my notebook so I can search for them when I'm shopping—so there's no motivation to spend as soon as I see deals hit my inbox.
- Receipts. As a full-timer and freelancer, taxes get tricky. But whenever I'm making a business expense, I make sure to take a pic of the receipt with my iPhone and send it to Evernote. Evernote can read the text in pictures and make it searchable.
- Menus. I love to snap menus of the delivery spots near my home and office. Now I can pull up the Chinese menu to order while I'm waiting for the train home and get a head start on dinner. And if I'm out at a new brunch spot eating the most amazing French Toast ever? I take a picture of the dish on the menu so I know what to get next time.
- Transportation Schedules. Speaking of the train, I love being able to keep a PDF of the train & bus schedules on my phone.
- Inspiration. Design inspiration strikes at the strangest times. I once saw a beer poster at the pub with the most amazing patterned border. I took a shot of it with Evernote's iPhone App, so now I can go back and re-create it on my walls or a party invitation.
Do you use Evernote? What surprising ways has it come through for you? In love with a different note organizer? Tell us in the comments!