Spring seems to be taking its sweet time in getting started across much of the country. If you're feeling a little sluggish from this cold and rainy Spring, perhaps a little retail therapy is what you need. Check out all the sales and events in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and be sure to send us your own sale or event.
Shown above: Chicago Luxury Bed + Hastens' "Let Nature In" Event, Bauhaus in the Balance on artnet Auctions, Salvation Army - Noah's ARC Design Challenge Event, Out of Southeast Asia: Art That Sustains
NATIONAL & ONLINE
- Bauhaus in the Balance on artnet Auctions artnet Auctions is proud to present Bauhaus in the Balance, a sale of 45 works, including pieces by the colorists Josef Albers and Wassily Kandinsky, designs by Marcel Breuer, and photographs by Marianne Brandt. The principle purpose of the Bauhaus was to integrate different disciplines of art; this created a cross-media dialogue, established a forum for the exchange of ideas, and cultivated a community that supports the arts. The sale will include works on paper, prints, photographs, sculpture, and design.
- Beetles & Butterflies Sale Save 20% off all art prints. All marked prices include the 20% discount.
- Vermont Woods Studios' American Made Bedroom Sale Furnish your bedroom with 100% American made hardwood furniture! Save up to 20% off plus free shipping.
- EKLA Home Tax Relief Sale EKLA Home is excited to announce a Tax Relief Sale. This limited promotion allows consumers the chance to purchase one of the most popular sofas from the collection, the TOM sofa, at an unbelievable cost.
- Truly Swedish Designs' Pappelina Rug Event The entire Pappelina Rug collection is 10% off. If you haven't already discovered the Swedish plastic rugs by Pappelina you are in for a treat. These fun and practical rugs can be used in any room of your home and outside during warm weather. The rugs are long lasting, non-toxic and machine washable.
- Plywerk Mother's Day Sale Skip flowers and brunch this year. Get your mom an eco-conscious, personalized, and unique gift this Mother’s Day.
- IKEA Kitchen Sale Save up to 20% on an IKEA kitchens.
All IKEA Stores
- Au Lit Fine Linens Pillow & Duvet Sale All pillows, duvets, featherbeds, mattress pads and protectors are 25% off this month. Plus, enjoy free shipping to the US and Canada on all online orders over $250.
Online and in store
- Lightology Sale Save 10% - 30% on top lighting brands throughout the month of April. Take advantage of Spring sales on brands like Sonneman A Way of Light, ET2 Contemporary Lighting and Varaluz. Plus, select fixtures from the Lightology Collection are 30%
Online and in store
- C.S. Post & Co. Sale Save 40% on select tables, seating, lighting and mirrors during C.S. Post's Warehouse Sale.
- Art City Austin The celebration of art, culture and creativity takes place this weekend invigorating the streets, plazas and open spaces along Austin’s Cesar Chavez Street and 2ND Street District with art of all kinds. Part art festival, part block party, Art City Austin features an outdoor art fair of nationally recognized artists, the People’s Gallery at City Hall with more than 150 works of art by Austin artists, local food trailers, craft beer and cocktails, live music on the main stage and interactive projects for kids of all ages. Downtown’s art festival brings the community together block-party style to celebrate Austin’s vibrant creative culture in one of the most lively and beautiful areas of downtown.
Art City Austin | Cesar Chavez Street at Austin City Hall, Austin, Texas
4/13: 10am - 6pm
4/14: 11am - 6pm
- Lekker Home's 10 Year Anniversary Event + Sale Lekker is celebrating 10 Years and they’re kicking things off with a 10 Year Anniversary Event + Sale. Join them for celebratory toasts, tastes and treats. As a thank you to customers they’ll be holding a private sale with special deals, door prizes and gifts. There are also exclusive specials with up to 50% off in savings from such designs brands as Area Bedding, Blomus, Ethnicraft, Marie’s Corner, Menu, Modern Twist, Studio Patro and Teroforma. These Exclusive Specials will be announced each week through April.
Lekker Home | 1317 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
- Darger Days at Intuit Intuit is hosting a weekend of Henry Darger events to coincide with his birth date and to celebrate the Fifth Anniversary of the Henry Darger Room Collection at Intuit. Help support Intuit by enjoying music, a silent auction featuring rare Darger memorabilia, beer from Revolution Brewing and birthday cake. A portion of proceeds will go toward the preservation of the Henry Darger Room Collection. Limited edition prints of Portrait of Henry Darger by Michael Johnson will be available to purchase during the event.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinos 60642
4/12: 6pm - 8pm
- Interiors reDesigned Need some ideas for decorative touches inside your home? The Hinsdale Historical Society presents the final event in the Design Advice Series. Interiors reDesigned is a Free one-on-one consultation with a licensed professional. Registration required.
The Hinsdale Historical Society | 302 South Grant Street, Hinsdale, Illinois 60558
4/13: 10am - 12pm
- She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media - and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
- Chicago Luxury Bed + Hastens' "Let Nature In" Event Chicago Luxury Beds' popular Hästens trade up event is back. In celebration of spring and their all-natural materials, the theme of this year's promotion is "Let Nature In." Shoppers can trade in their old bed for and will receive a 10% credit on an all-natural handcrafted Hästens continental bed.
Chicago Luxury Bed | 440 North Wells Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
- Salvation Army - Noah's ARC Design Challenge Event The Salvation Army’s Anaheim Adult Rehabilitation Center and the American Society of Interior Designers Orange County Chapter have combined their resources and talent for the last four years to create beautiful interior design with recycled items from Salvation Army Family Stores in Orange County, California. ASID student members from four local interior design colleges have taken on the challenge of designing 12’ X 12’ vignette rooms at four Salvation Army Family Stores in Orange County using only donated items from The Salvation Army and paint donated by Sherwin Williams. During the two week display period The Salvation Army will accept silent auction bids on all items inside the displays.
4/13 - 4/29
- George Hurrell: From Laguna to Hollywood Check out this exhibition of photographs from the permanent collection by noted Hollywood glamour photographer George Hurrell (1904-1992). By 1930 Hurrell was the head of the MGM portrait gallery and he was soon dubbed the "Grand Seigneur of the Hollywood Portrait." This exhibition presents a selection of about forty works.
Laguna Art Museum | 307 Cliff Drive, Laguna Beach, California 92651
- Hervé Tullet at MoMA Design Store Hervé Tullet presents favorites including I Am Blop, Game of Shadows, and more. Known as “The Prince of Pre-School Books,” Hervé Tullet makes a rare New York appearance with a presentation of his most beloved titles. His innovative books take the concept of reading to a new level, teaching young minds to think imaginatively, independently, and creatively.
MoMA Design Store | 81 Spring Street, New York, New York 10012
4/13: 11am - 12pm
- DwellStudio Warehouse Sale Up to 70% off baby, home, kids and more.
DwellStudio | 83 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10012
- Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers features a full-scale, 325-square-foot micro-unit with architecture by Amie Gross Architects. Organized in conjunction with Citizens Housing & Planning Council (CHPC), Making Room explores how New York City's changing social, economic, and cultural demographics—especially the rise of single adults—are dramatically changing urban households, and how architecture can help re-shape the city's housing stock for New Yorkers at all phases of their lives.
Museum of the City of New York | 1220 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10029
- Mentoring Courtney Love: David LaChapelle and Courtney Love The concept of mentoring is one not often associated with the contemporary art world. Yet artist Courtney Love, best known as a musician, credits artist and photographer David LaChapelle with mentoring her as a visual artist. Love's work, featured in this exhibition, are all works on paper. They are executed in a combination of pastel, watercolor, graphite, colored pencil, charcoal, acrylic, and marker. The works on view are all portraits, including some self-portraits, and this is where we see the relationship between her work and that of her mentor David LaChapelle.
Lyman Allen Art Museum | 625 Williams Street, New London, Connecticut 06320
Opening Reception: 4/12: 6pm - 8pm
Exhibit: Through 8/10
- Furniturea Tent Sale They won't actually have a tent, but they'll definitely have a sale! Furniturea, an original manufacturing partner for Maine Cottage Furniture, is selling all its remaining Maine Cottage inventory at 50% off retail prices, as well as many Furniturea floor samples and discontinued designs at significant savings.
Furniturea | 75 Market Street, Portland, Maine 04101
- Bill Walton at Adams and Ollman Amy Adams, in collaboration with John Ollman of Fleisher/Ollman Gallery in Philadelphia, is pleased to announce the opening of Adams and Ollman. The gallery will specialize in 20th century self-taught American artists and contemporary artists whose practices reflect an intuitive influence. Adams and Ollman's inaugural exhibition, a solo presentation of sculptures and drawings by Bill Walton.
Adams and Ollman | 811 East Burnside #213, Portland, Oregon 97214
Exhibit: Through 4/27
- Nantucket Home Spring Sale Stop by Nantucket Home and save up to 30% on all special order furniture, upholstery, area rugs, fabrics, window treatments & bedding.
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway, Chico, California 95928
- Nature's Perfect Pillow Launch Stop by Nest Bedding for the Nature's Perfect Pillow Launch. An all natural alternative to the fluffy down and feather pillow, Nature's Perfect Pillow is made with all natural tree-derived products to produce the perfect blend of soft and still supportive. Chemical-free, all natural and USA made, designed by and available only at Nest Bedding.
Nest Bedding | 283 9th Street, San Francisco, California 94103
- "Photographs" at March March presents "Photographs," an exhibition of Paulette Tavormina's still lifes - lush photographs of food and flora, reminiscent of 17th century Old Master paintings.
March | 3075 Sacramento Street, San Francisco, California 94115
- Opening Reception: Abstract Concrete Heiner Contemporary is pleased to announce Concrete Abstract, a group exhibition curated by Matthew Smith that explores the confluence of abstraction with the everyday, featuring work by Seth Adelsberger, Lisa Dillin, Jeremy Flick, Steven Frost, Sue Johnson, Becca Kallem, Patrick McDonough, Danielle Mysliwiec, and Matthew Smith.
Heiner Contemporary | 1675 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20007
Exhibit: Through 4/20
- Out of Southeast Asia: Art That Sustains Out of Southeast Asia: Art That Sustains — the last exhibition presented in The Textile Museum's historic location before the museum's 2014 reopening — promises to be a beautiful pairing of tradition and innovation. Out of Southeast Asia demonstrates how four artists are reinventing traditional Southeast Asian textile techniques, designs, and ideology in new and meaningful ways.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street NW, Washington, DC 20008
(Images: Chicago Luxury Bed, artnet Auctions, Salvation Army - Noah's ARC Design Challenge Event, The Textile Museum)