TGIF! Now it's time to start making those weekend plans. Maybe you're up for a little a project at CB2's DIY Saturday? Or if you're in Chicago, you could check out the Merchandise Mart Antiques Fair. These events and more, plus sales both local and online, are rounded up in our The Weekend Guide. Check it out, pass it on and send us your own sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Preservation Week at Your Library With spring cleaning underway, many Americans will struggle with how to protect keepsakes. Turn to libraries during Preservation Week @ your library, a time when public and academic libraries will provide information and expertise on how to preserve collectables, family documents, textiles, digital items and much more. Preservation Week @ your library is themed "Pass it on," and participating libraries will help connect library users with preservation tools; promote the importance of preservation; and will strive to enhance knowledge of preservation issues among the general public. During the week, libraries will focus on preservation themes including: Monday, LP (vinyl) records; Tuesday, quilts; Wednesday, comic books; Thursday, slides; Friday, digital photos; and Saturday, family letters.
Locations & Information
• 15% Off Ligne Roset Mixte Cabinetry Program A 15% discount will be offered on all orders of Mixte, Ligne Roset's new customizable cabinetry program designed for Ligne Roset by Mauro Lipparini.
• Greentea Design's Kitchen and Bath Sale Get 20% off on stunning Asian-inspired Kitchen Cabinets and Maru Dining Tables, and up to 25% off on Bathroom Vanities.
• Cuddledown 400 Thread Count Sateen Sheet Sale Cuddledown's most popular 400 Thread Count Sateen sheets are on sale now. Plus, a new weekly special available every week.
• My Urban Child Crib Sale My Urban Child, a modern home décor store dedicated to children, has a spring crib sale event. Save 10%-15% off on select modern cribs and crib sets.
• Studio North Design Spring Sale Save 25% off the popular Block and Board Shelving Collection and 30% off other home accessories.
• Beauty as Duty Exhibit This exhibition looks at ways that textiles were put into service on Britain's Home Front in the 1940s. Mass-produced "utility" clothes had to conform to strict government regulations, yet managed to be fashionable.
Beauty as Duty at The Museum of Fine Arts | 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 04101
• Saturday Audio Exchange 30th Anniversary Sale Chicagoland's preeminent retailer of high-quality new and used audio and home theatre components celebrate 30 years in business with a huge sale. Featured are 200 items at $30 each; additional items at $30 off and 30% off and floor models marked down to never before seen savings.
Saturday Audio Exchange | 1021 West Belmont, Chicago, Illinois 60657
• Merchandise Mart International Antiques Fair Showcasing more than 120 of the world's top dealers of antiques and fine art, the 15th annual Merchandise Mart International Antiques Fair is Chicago's ultimate treasure hunt. From the seasoned collector to anyone with an appreciation for timeless design, shoppers will find a wonderfully diverse array of art, antiques and jewelry from antiquities to 20th Century modernism.
Merchandise Mart | 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Veliero Event at WPA Chicago WPA Chicago will host a special, educational event and reception in honor of Fondazione Franco Albini's legendary bookcase, the "Veliero," which was originally created by the Italian designer in 1940 as a one-off piece for his house in Via De Togni, Milan. Albini's creation defied the conventions of balance and subsequently collapsed in his house in 1960; however, after six years of intense research and work, Italian furniture company Cassina has succeeded in creating a stable iteration of Albini's innovative piece, and has permanently added it to Cassina's I Maestri Collection. The public is invited to watch as Cassina's newly re-engineered version of the "Veliero" is constructed from scratch in WPA's showroom. In addition, Marco Albini, son of the architect and director of the Franco Albini Foundation, will discuss the history and evolution of the bookshelf. Light refreshments will be served. RSVP
WPA Chicago | 314 West Superior Street, Suite 110, Chicago, Illinois 60654
5/2: 6pm - 8pm
• Green Home Chicago Symposium: Sustainability 2012 The symposium features a panel presentation with audience question-and-answer. Diana Tychsen, senior editor, CS Interiors, will moderate the session, which is hosted by Karen Kalmek, president, Green Home Chicago Design Center. REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Green Home Chicago | 213 North Morgan Street #1D, Chicago, Illinois 60607
5/3: 5:30pm - 8pm
• Madera Home Annual Warehouse Parking Lot Sale Madera Home acquires old temple wood and unusable solid wood furniture pieces often 100 - 300 years old and re-commissions it into beautiful furniture utilizing old world craftsmanship with modern touches. Each unique piece is hand made and hand painted.
Madera Home | 18910 Teller Avenue, Irvine, California 92612
• Haute House Grand Opening Check out the grand opening of this furniture design and manufacturing company.
Haute House | 3501 North San Fernando Road, Los Angeles, California 90065
• Henry Road Sale Check out Henry Road's huge annual sale. 4 days; 40% off everything. Applies both online and in the Studio City shop. While stock lasts. Artwork excluded.
Henry Road | 3949 Laurelgrove Avenue, Studio City, California 91604
• Urban Discovery at Artspace Warehouse New art exhibition Urban Discovery celebrates unnoticed urban environments in contemporary art. New series of artworks debut from artists Colleen Sandland, Johnny Taylor, Carl Smith, Ashleigh Sumner, Steven M O'Connor and Clara Berta.
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Jeff ZImmerman at Duke & Duke Duke & Duke is pleased to announce the exhibition of master glass artist and lighting designer Jeff Zimmerman. The exhibition explores a variety of Zimmerman's glass sculpture along with new light works, all which convey organic details and natural forms.
Duke & Duke | 8527 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, California 90069
• Michael Boyd "PLANEFurniture - types + prototypes" Edward Cella Art + Architecture presents its first exhibition of contemporary furniture that advances the gallery's unique focus on 20th and 21st century architects and designers. The exhibition also represents the debut of PLANEfurniture, an innovative suite of modern furniture created by noted designer and collector Michael Boyd. Inspired by the pioneers of modern design, from Gerrit Rietveld and Rudolph Schindler to Jean Prouvé and Donald Judd, the PLANEfurniture collection attains perfect proportions and a simple, functional beauty.
Edward Cella Art+Architecture | 6018 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Niche Modern Sample Sale Save 50% - 80% off sample lighting fixtures at the Niche Modern sale being held in conjunction with Beacon Open Studios.
Niche Modern | 5 Hanna Lane, Beacon, New York 12508
4/28 - 4/29: 12pm - 6pm
• New New York: Interior Design on the Cutting Edge New York School of Interior Design and the Museum of the City of New York are co-presenting a panel discussion about the latest trends in interior design in New York City and the young, up-and-coming designers that are making it happen. The program will also include a tour of the new South Street Seaport Museum's galleries led by a principal of Cooper Joseph Studio, architects of the renovation. RSVP required.
South Street Seaport Museum | 12 Fulton Street, New York, New York 10038
4/28: 12pm - 5pm
• Housing Works Design on a Dime 2012 Public Sale Days Housing Works is hosting its eighth-annual Design on a Dime interior design shopping benefit at the Metropolitan Pavilion in New York City. Over 50 of the country's top designers will put together new home furnishings, artwork and accessories to create unforgettable room vignettes. All items will be sold for 40 to 60 percent off retail price with proceeds benefiting Housing Works, New York's largest community-based AIDS service organization.
Metropolitan Pavilion | 125 West 18th Street, New York, New York 10011
4/27 - 4/28: 10am - 6pm
• Astoria Market Pre-Mother's Day Shopping Event Shop at the Astoria Market for your Mother's Day gifts. You'll find talented artisans selling unique wares that you won't find anywhere else, like handmade greeting cards, chocolates, natural bath & body care, eco friendly art, unique handmade jewelry, and much more!
Astoria Market | 2919 24th Avenue, Astoria, New York 11102
4/29: 12pm - 6pm
• Jensen Lewis Spring Clearance Event To make room for Spring and Summer collections, save up to 70% off select items - from dining and living room furniture to bedroom and home office. Sale items are available on a first come first serve basis and only at the 7th Avenue showroom.
Jensen Lewis | 89 7th Avenue, New York, New York 10011
• Leftover Luxuries High end event consignment sale featuring a curated collection of furniture, antiques, design accessories, art and so much more.
Leftover Luxuries | 134 Orchard Street, New York, New York 10002
• Duncan Phyfe: Master Cabinetmaker in New York In the early 1800s, furniture from the workshop of New York City cabinetmaker Duncan Phyfe was in such demand that he was referred to as the "United States Rage." Organized chronologically, this exhibition presents the cabinetmaker's life and work through drawings, documents, personal possession, and furniture. Portraits of his clients and contemporary depictions of New York City street scenes and domestic interiors provide a glimpse into Phyfe's milieu.
Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10028
• Sky and Sea at Lux Archive Lux Archive is pleased to announce Sky and Sea, an exhibition of twelve fine-art photographs by artists Alessandro Puccinelli, Paul Nelson and Nenad Saljic. The exhibition features three series of images, each a portrayal of one element from the natural world. All twelve images are new additions to Lux Archive and are available for purchase as limited-edition prints. The first 25 guests will receive a $25 coupon for use on the Lux Archive website.
Lux Archive | 211 North 11th Street, Brooklyn, New York 11211
• BeeLine Pop-Up at Bunny Williams To celebrate BeeLine's complete collection all in one home, check out this pop-up shop at Bunny Williams.
Bunny Williams | 306 East 61st Street, New York, New York 10065
• The Designer Showhouse of New Jersey Now in its sixth year, the Designer Showhouse of New Jersey is a showcase for America's premier design talent. Approximately 25 top interior and landscape designers from New York and New Jersey will transform a luxurious New Jersey home into a decorating masterpiece. Additional attractions include the Showhouse Boutique and Personal Touch Caterers Café.
Designer Showhouse of New Jersey | 27 Denison Drive, Saddle River, New Jersey 07458
4/29 - 6/10
• Dwell + Marin Magazine Home Tour Marin Magazine, in partnership with Dwell Media, will host the second Dwell+Marin Magazine Home Tour, a modern home tour in Marin County. This home tour is the first of Dwell's 2012 five-city tour, which will follow with tours in Los Angeles, San Diego, Silicon Valley and New York City. Ten-percent of ticket proceeds for the Marin tour will benefit Architecture for Humanity. TICKETS
4/27 - 4/29
• 2012 Georgetown House Tour This year the Georgetown House Tour is marking its 81st anniversary by highlighting historical, interesting, unique and idea-filled homes. The tour, the oldest house tour in the country, will once again showcase many of Georgetown's finest historic homes. Since 1931, thousands of people have spent a Saturday afternoon in April inspecting, comparing, analyzing, critiquing, and generally delighting in a variety of homes whose owners have graciously opened them for the annual Georgetown House Tour. This year will be no exception with an anticipated 8 to 10 houses on the tour.
2012 Georgetown House Tour | 3240 O St NW, Washington, DC 20007
4/28: 11am - 5pm
• Thos. Moser and Valerianne of D.C. Trunk Show Thos. Moser and Valerianne of D.C. will be hosting a trunk show, showcasing the linens of Leitner, a premium bedding manufacturer from Austria. Refreshments will be served.
Thos. Moser Georgetown | 3300 M St. NW, Washington D.C. 20007
5/3: 11am - 3pm & 5pm - 8pm
• Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Special Order Plus Event Save 20% on all special order upholstery. Plus all rugs, lighting, accessories, tables & storage are 20% off.
Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams | 1526 14th Street NW, Washington DC 20005
• 2012 DC Design House The DC Design House is a unique design show house event for the DC Metro area where top designers showcase their talents to raise funds for Children's National Medical Center. Situated on a one-half-acre site, this year's home, also known as the Blue House, boasts 10,000 square feet, seven-bedrooms, and seven baths.
DC Design House | 4951 Rockwood Parkway, NW, Washington, DC 20016
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
Send it to us. We publish every week: