This week's edition of the Weekend Guide has a very Spring feeling. With a number of warehouse, sample and estate sales, it seems that folks are starting their Spring cleaning. There are also a number of special events that'll give you an excuse to get out and breathe in the Spring air. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and be sure to send us your own sale or event.
Shown Truly Swedish Designs' Pappelina Rug Event, Lucketts Design House Open House, Gigi Gatti. Il giardiniere at Affordable Art Fair, Au Lit Fine Linens Pillow & Duvet Sale
NATIONAL & ONLINE
- Mecox Gardens Website Launch Sale To celebrate the launch of their new website, Mecox Gardens is offering a 20% discount on all purchases in any of their eight locations or by contacting any store. Registration required.
- UrbanGreen Furniture Sale 20% off he High Line Collection.
- AllModern Exclusive Outdoor Dining Event Save up to 20% on top-selling outdoor dining furniture.
- Matthew Izzo Sping Is Coming Event Bold Colors. Clean lines. Vintage Modern looks. Always a great price. Matthew Izzo is getting ready for spring.
- Design Public Steelcase & Coalesse Sale Take 10% off Steelcase and Coalesse orders.
- Beetles & Butterflies Sale Save 20% off all art prints. All marked prices include the 20% discount.
- Truly Swedish Designs' Pappelina Rug Event The entire Pappelina Rug collection is 10% off. If you haven't already discovered the Swedish plastic rugs by Pappelina you are in for a treat. These fun and practical rugs can be used in any room of your home and outside during warm weather. The rugs are long lasting, non-toxic and machine washable.
- IKEA Kitchen Sale Save up to 20% on an IKEA kitchens.
All IKEA Stores
- Au Lit Fine Linens Pillow & Duvet Sale All pillows, duvets, featherbeds, mattress pads and protectors are 25% off this month. Plus, enjoy free shipping to the US and Canada on all online orders over $250.
Online and in store
- Lightology Sale Save 10% - 30% on top lighting brands throughout the month of April. Take advantage of Spring sales on brands like Sonneman A Way of Light, ET2 Contemporary Lighting and Varaluz. Plus, select fixtures from the Lightology Collection are 30%
Online and in store
- C.S. Post & Co. Sale Save 40% on select tables, seating, lighting and mirrors during C.S. Post's Warehouse Sale.
- Lekker Home's 10 Year Anniversary Event + Sale Lekker is celebrating 10 Years and they’re kicking things off with a 10 Year Anniversary Event + Sale. Join them for celebratory toasts, tastes and treats. As a thank you to customers they’ll be holding a private sale with special deals, door prizes and gifts. There are also exclusive specials with up to 50% off in savings from such designs brands as Area Bedding, Blomus, Ethnicraft, Marie’s Corner, Menu, Modern Twist, Studio Patro and Teroforma. These Exclusive Specials will be announced each week through April.
Lekker Home | 1317 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
- Fete Chicago This is a pop-up cultural festival celebrating the finest in Chicago’s food and design. A toast to the city’s creative, artistic pulse. Fête soft-launched with a holiday food and design market in December 2012, and returns this spring with a full schedule of programming: a night market followed by a weekend of tastings, discussions and tours that provide an intimate, behind-the-scenes look at the methodology, history and inner-workings of some of the most creative minds in Chicago. The goal: to create a dialogue; to discover; to learn; and to connect.
4/5 - 4/7
- Architectural Artifacts 25th Anniversary Auction 1500+ lots of architectural artifacts and antiques will be sold.
Architectural Artifacts | 4325 North Ravenswood, Chicago, Illinois 60613
Auction: 4/5 - 4/7
- Danish Modern: Design for Living Where can you see an Ant, Egg, Swan, Peacock, and Artichoke? In the new exhibition Danish Modern: Design for Living! Enjoy a celebration of the wonderful furniture designs that came out of Denmark in the 1950s and 1960s, and see why so many pieces are known by these descriptive names. See for yourself how a successful balance of form and function have kept these chairs in production for over 50 years.The Danish Immigrant Museum | 2212 Washington Street, Elk Horn, Iowa 51531Opening: 4/6
- She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media - and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
- Decorating Happy Hour Brainworks Home and other West Pico neighborhood stores are hosting a Decorating Happy Hour. Enjoy some cocktails, snacks, music and bit of shopping at 10 participating stores in Pico Neighborhood.
Brainworks Home | 5364 West Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90019
4/5: 4pm - 7pm
- Estate Sale in Brentwood Nuetra House Step inside a beautiful Nuetra designed Brentwood house for this weekend's Succor Estate Sale. Find mid-century furniture, brass decor, IIttala tabletop, fine and costume jewelry, bar and serve ware, quality kitchen items and more.
Succor Estate Sale | 1438 North Kenter Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90049
4/5 - 4/7: 9am - 3pm
- Randolph Duke Estate Sale Treasures from Randolph Dukes's collections in couture fashion, home and beauty couture originals, designer sample gowns, sportswear, dresses, jewelry, shoes accessories and many one-of-a kinds and more!
Randolph Duke Estate Sale | 5757 Virginia Ave. Los Angeles, California 90038
4/5 - 4/7: 9am - 5pm
- Thrive Furniture April Surplus Sale Thrive Furniture is selling their surplus inventory. Some pieces were showroom samples and others were just not a right fit for someone else's space. The good news is that this equals 40-60% savings for you. If you can overlook a ding or two, believe us, you are getting a steal of a deal on a comfortable, stylish, hand-crafted, and American made product. Choose from over 40 pieces of hand-crafted Mid Century Modern styled pieces!Thrive Factory Showroom | 14108 Towne Avenue, Los Angeles, California 900614/6: 8am - 3pm
- MASH Studios Sample Sale For 4 days only, take advantage of big savings on all furniture lines, as MASH Studios is clearing their warehouse for new shipments to arrive.MASH Studios | 12705 Venice Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90066
- George Hurrell: From Laguna to Hollywood Check out this exhibition of photographs from the permanent collection by noted Hollywood glamour photographer George Hurrell (1904-1992). By 1930 Hurrell was the head of the MGM portrait gallery and he was soon dubbed the "Grand Seigneur of the Hollywood Portrait." This exhibition presents a selection of about forty works.
Laguna Art Museum | 307 Cliff Drive, Laguna Beach, California 92651
- Affordable Art Fair A fun four-day event hosting over 80 galleries and a huge array of contemporary art. The concept is simple, yet unique: an inspiring and friendly atmosphere in which you can find thousands of original paintings, prints, sculptures and photographs all under one roof, ranging from $100 - $10,000, with more than half priced under $5,000. The work of young, emerging artists hangs alongside some of the biggest household names, while our Recent Graduates Exhibition provides a chance to snap up work by a future art world star.
The Metropolitan Pavilion | 125 West 18th Street, New York, New York 10011
4/5: 11am - 8pm
4/6: 11am - 8pm
4/7: 11am - 5pm
- Frette Platinum Collection Trunk Show Bloomingdale’s 59th Street is offering shoppers the opportunity to upgrade their bedding collection with the ultra-luxurious Frette Platinum Collection during a special trunk show. Available only during this trunk show, shoppers will be able to view and order this exclusive collection made from natural colored Linen and Silk and based on a pattern from Frette’s heritage designs in the designer’s archive.
Bloomingdale's 59th Street | 1000 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10022
4/6: 2pm - 5pm
- Weave a Rug Join Aelfie to weave your own 2'6" x 3'6" bathroom or bedside rugs from t-shirts. They're super soft, colorful and easy to clean. These rugs are currently sold at ABC Carpet and Aelfie is pleased to have the creator, Joe Dega, guide you through the upcycling process. Looms, t-shirts and tea will be provided. No previous weaving experience necessary. RSVP required.Aelfie | 41 Varick Avenue #401, Brooklyn, New York 112374/13: 2pm - 5pm
- Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers features a full-scale, 325-square-foot micro-unit with architecture by Amie Gross Architects. Organized in conjunction with Citizens Housing & Planning Council (CHPC), Making Room explores how New York City's changing social, economic, and cultural demographics—especially the rise of single adults—are dramatically changing urban households, and how architecture can help re-shape the city's housing stock for New Yorkers at all phases of their lives.
Museum of the City of New York | 1220 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10029
- Mid-Century Furniture Warehouse Public Sale Open to the public for three hours only this Sunday. 4,000 square feet of Mid-Century and Scandinavian furniture, art, and lighting.
Mid-Century Furniture Warehouse | 1701 North 2nd Street, Philadelphia, Pennyslvania 19122
4/7: 12pm - 3pm
- Bill Walton at Adams and Ollman Amy Adams, in collaboration with John Ollman of Fleisher/Ollman Gallery in Philadelphia, is pleased to announce the opening of Adams and Ollman. The gallery will specialize in 20th century self-taught American artists and contemporary artists whose practices reflect an intuitive influence. Adams and Ollman's inaugural exhibition, a solo presentation of sculptures and drawings by Bill Walton.
Adams and Ollman | 811 East Burnside #213, Portland, Oregon 97214
Exhibit: Through 4/27
- Nantucket Home Warehouse Sale For 2 days only, Nantucket Home is having a warehouse flash sale! Mostly furniture, some decorative items, discontinued items, showroom samples and even new merchandise.
Nantucket Home | 1017 Willow, Chico, California 95928
4/5 - 4/6: 9am - 4pm
- Nature's Perfect Pillow Launch Stop by Nest Bedding for the Nature's Perfect Pillow Launch. An all natural alternative to the fluffy down and feather pillow, Nature's Perfect Pillow is made with all natural tree-derived products to produce the perfect blend of soft and still supportive. Chemical-free, all natural and USA made, designed by and available only at Nest Bedding.
Nest Bedding | 283 9th Street, San Francisco, California 94103
- "Photographs" at March March presents "Photographs," an exhibition of Paulette Tavormina's still lifes - lush photographs of food and flora, reminiscent of 17th century Old Master paintings.
March | 3075 Sacramento Street, San Francisco, California 94115
- Chartreuse & Co Market Days Chartreuse & Co is a once monthly vintage sale on an historic property consisting of 5 buildings, including a 1900's dairy barn. During Market Days, gourmet food truck and fresh produce will nourish your tummy, the vintage shopping will nourish your soul!
Chartreuse & Co | 4007 Buckeystown Pike, Frederick, Maryland 21713
4/6: 9 am - 4pm
4/7: 12pm - 4pm
- Lucketts Design House Open House Tour a century old farmhouse completely redecorated each month where everything is for sale. Tons of new finds, including furniture & new accessories for spring.
Lucketts Design House | 42350 Lucketts Road, Leesburg, Virginia 20176
4/5 - 4/7: 10am - 5pm
- Industry to Art: Revitalizing Cities through Culture Cities are using the arts to re-brand themselves as cultural hubs, attracting artists as well as young, upwardly mobile workers who value creative communities. Panelists explore cities across the United States that are transforming aging factories into art galleries, producing cultural events to draw outside visitors, and offering grants to help artists move to cultural districts. Moderated by Candace Damon, vice president of HR&A Advisors.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
4/10: 6:30pm - 8pm
- Opening Reception: Abstract Concrete Heiner Contemporary is pleased to announce Concrete Abstract, a group exhibition curated by Matthew Smith that explores the confluence of abstraction with the everyday, featuring work by Seth Adelsberger, Lisa Dillin, Jeremy Flick, Steven Frost, Sue Johnson, Becca Kallem, Patrick McDonough, Danielle Mysliwiec, and Matthew Smith.
Heiner Contemporary | 1675 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20007
Exhibit: Through 4/20
- The Enduring Designs of Josef Frank The Embassy of Sweden in DC is hosting an exhibit called "The Enduring Designs of Josef Frank," a textile and furniture showcase from iconic architect and designer Josef Frank. Designer and architect Josef Frank was a pioneer in modern Swedish design for his boldly patterned textiles and his striking and whimsical furniture. He donated his legacy of designs to interior decorating and design firm Svenskt Tenn, which he had collaborated with for decades. This exhibition allows guests to see some of his textile and furniture designs up close.
The Embassy of Sweden | 2900 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20007