As a decidedly pragmatic personality I would like to point out to you that, with this second weekend of August, summer is casually drawing to a close. Before it's time to settle into our autumn routines, we should take this chance to enjoy the last gasps of summer. From outdoor events like Chicago's Vintage Bazaar to Portland's Wave of Light event, there are plenty of one off sales and events to enjoy this weekend. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your own sale or event.
California's Designing Women, The Vintage Bazaar
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Marriott Summer Sale Get 20% of everything you need to transform your bedroom into the restful haven, including Marriott's signature mattresses, mattress toppers, fluffy down pillows, luxurious top-of-bed linens, duvet covers, euro pillow covers, accent pillows, bed skirts and crisp, 300-thread count sheets. That can translate to savings of more than $450 for the entire Marriott Bed, depending on size and mattress type.
• Exclusive Domitalia Sale at AllModern Save 10% on all Domitalia products.
• Gus Modern Summer Upholstery Sale Gus Modern is offering 20% off sectionals, sofas, chairs and ottomans. All upholstered seating is manufactured with 100% FSC-Certified wood, in support of responsible forest management.
• Lumens.com Back to School Desk Lamp Sale Save up to 40% off on some of our favorite desk lamps just in time for back to school. Find the D'E-Light by Philippe Starck for Flos and more.
• BoConcept Summer Sale BoConcept announces its end-of-season summer sale taking place in its 23 U.S. retail stores. Shoppers will save up to 70% off floor samples, rugs, lamps and other accessories, as well 20% off the following pieces from the 2012 collection.
• Pillowsforhope.com Summer Sale Super savings on entire outdoor pillow collection plus more discounts on trendy modern and ikat styles.
• Lightology Koncept Sale Save an additional 10% OFF retail price on all Koncept LED desk and floor lamps.
• Eskayel Summer Sale Brooklyn-based design studio Eskayel is having their first ever sale. Save 20% off All wallpaper, rugs, and decorative products, site wide – including the new Akimbo mix-n-match collection and the recently released Poolside Collection.
• Home Remedy Summer Sale The annual Home Remedy Summer Sale event includes home accessories from Kahler, Aid to Artisans, Jonathan Adler and more marked down from 30% to 75% off.
• Greentea Design's Summer Sale Everything is on sale. Save up to 30% on collections and up to 60% in the outlet section.
• My Urban Child End of Summer Sale Save 10%-20% on Nurseryworks for your little ones and Zuo Modern for you or your older ones.
• Cuddledown Annual Pillow Sale Check out this annual pillow sale and buy more to save more. 20% off 1 pillow, 25% off 2 pillows, 30% off 3 or more.
• Diseño Summer Clearance Annual Summer Clearance 20-50% off all in stock merchandise. Color, texture, warmth and style, imports from Buenos Aires, Lima, Sao Paulo and beyond.
Diseño Boston | 409 Harrison Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
• The Davis Flea An open-air market featuring vendors of vintage, antique, repurposed wares and produce all situated in the heart of Davis Square.
The Davis Flea | 52 Holland Street, Somerville, Massachusetts 02144
Every Sunday through 10/28
• Keiichi Tanaami Selected Filmworks Corbett vs. Dempsey is excited to present a selection of rarely seen short films and animations by Japanese artist Keiichi Tanaami, specially selected and introduced by film scholar Michelle Puetz. A complement to our current exhibition of his audacious late 1960s drawings, the Chicago debut on view in CvsD's West Wing, this screening offers a glimpse of Tanaami's unique fusion of popular culture, commercial design and avant-garde aesthetics. Ranging from the frenetic, flickering chaos of recent collaborations with Japanese noise musicians to highly personal reflections on the firebombing of Tokyo during the second World War, Tanaami's films move with an unparalleled electric intensity.
Corbett vs. Dempsey | 1120 North Ashland Avenue, 3rd Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60622
• The Dog Days of Summer Event at Modern Co-Op The Dog Days of Summer event will take place during the Chicago Arts District's 2nd Fridays Art Walk. Modern Co-Op serving 5 Rabbit's local brew and include opportunities to meet Kate and Craig from MODified Originals. In addition, Silver Tin Vintage featuring Dethrose Vintage and JenStyle Vintage will be parked outside selling their handpicked vintage clothing and accessories.
Modern Cooperative | 818 West 18th Street, Chicago Illinois 60608
8/10: 5pm - 11pm
• Annual Chiasso Warehouse Sale Chiasso is holding its annual warehouse sale this weekend. Savings will range from 25% to 70% on an abundance of overstocks, returns, samples, and slightly bruised items. All product categories will be represented, including furniture, lighting, clocks, artwork, accent pieces, gifts, and rugs.
Chiasso | 473 Woodcreek Drive, Bolingbrook, Illinois 60440
8/11 - 8/12
• The Vintage Bazaar The first two markets of The Vintage Bazaar's monthly summer schedule brought out more shoppers than ever before and featured a unique blend of high and low vintage decor, designer home goods, furniture, clothing, jewelry, and oddments. The addition of food trucks, along with local food booths, music, and cocktails has morphed the market into a destination for foodies as well as vintage pickers, decor fanatics, and the fashion forward. Check out the latest event this weekend at the historic Aragon Ballroom.
Aragon Ballroom | 1106 West Lawrence Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60640
8/12: 11am - 5pm
• The Golden Triangle Sidewalk Sale Once a year, The Golden Triangle likes to pitch a tent in their parking lot and attempt to recreate the fun and frenzy of the Paris Flea Market and Bangkok's Chatuchak in downtown Chicago. This year's sale will be our largest ever with over 200 items from 10 countries on display. Some pieces are very old and come from exotic cultures. Others are more practical. Still others are just fragments that may inspire a great DIY project.
The Golden Triangle | 330 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Karl Wirsum Eyeballs the Intuit Collection Curator Karl Wirsum has "eyeballed" Intuit's Permanent Collection to create an exhibition of his favorites. As a member of the Chicago Imagists group Hairy Who, he was instrumental in setting the tone for Chicago's art scene in the 1960s. As an artist, Wirsum has developed a style that combines vivid graphic imagery with a sense of humor, a style that is mirrored in his selections for this exhibition. Karl Wirsum Eyeballs the Intuit Collection celebrates those artists who create work that expand the imagination.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive & Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue,
Chicago, Illinois 60642
• Kenneth Ludwig Home Furnishings Moving Sale Kenneth Ludwig Home Furnishings is moving to Suite 1445 at The Merchandise Mart this Fall and is hosting a moving sale with deals on furniture, lighting, accessories and more. Enjoy up to 75% off contemporary and transitional offerings.
Kenneth Ludwig Home Furnishings | 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite 1510, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Vintage Garage Chicago With space for at least 100 dealers, Vintage Garage Chicago is the city's newest venue for buying and selling vintage and antique merchandise.
Vintage Garage Chicago | 5051 North Broadway, Chicago, Illinois 60640
8/19: 9am - 4pm
9/16: 9am - 4pm
10/21: 9am - 4pm
• Heath Ceramics Home Plate Dinnerware Exchange At the Home Plate Dinnerware Exchange customers may swap lightly used dinnerware for 25 percent off any corresponding, first-quality piece of Heath dinnerware. For example, they can bring in 10 of their own dinner plates and receive a 25% discount on 10 new Heath dinner plates; bring in 8 mugs, receive 25% off 8 new Heath mugs, and so on. Heath Ceramics will then donate the collected dinnerware to Skid Row Housing Trust, who will in turn place them within one of their community kitchens or with one of their newly housed individuals.
Heath Ceramics | 7525 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Haptor Barrett Floor Model Sale For 35 years Haptor Barrett has been the premier wholesale furniture showroom in Los Angeles, open only to professional designers and architects. For a limited time, showroom floor models are being discounted. Everything from upholstery and leather, dining room sets, bedrooms and bedding, lighting and unique accessories.
Haptor Barrett | 110 East 9th Street, Suite C999, Los Angeles, California 90079
• Artspace Warehouse: Summer Skies The skies are limitless for the artists' works on display in this summer's exhibition. The exhibition showcases new works by Los Angeles artist Amber Goldhammer, Memphis artist Mark Acetelli, and Los Angeles artist Robert Lebsack, among many others.
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Duke & Duke Gallery Featuring Nancy Lorenz Duke & Duke presents the solo exhibition of artist Nancy Lorenz, a presentation of screens, paintings, and designs. Nancy Lorenz is known for her artisan creations which are influenced by Eastern art and translated abstract expressionism. Her use of rich materials and refined compositions create a harmonious balance.
Duke & Duke Gallery | 8527 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, California 90069
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and international reputation for unrestrained creativity.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
8/10 - 1/6/13
• Artemide Moving Sale Iconic lighting fixtures are up to 90% off.
Artemide | 277 Giralda Avenue, Coral Gables, Florida 33134
• Rico Moving Sale Check out this storewide moving sale.
Rico | 384 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11217
• Going Green II at Crossing Art Gallery Going Green II is an annual exhibition that supports not only an eco-friendly environment but raises issues about the current trends and future fate of urban landscapes.
Crossing Art Queens | 136-17 39th Avenue, Flushing, New York 11354
• Cite Floor Sample Sale Up to 70% off store wide floor sample sale.
Cite | 131 Greene Street, New York, New York 10012
• Tide Study at Charles Bank Gallery Charles Bank Gallery is pleased to present Tide Study, a new photography exhibition by Ryan James MacFarland. In MacFarland's newest body of work, the artist shows a concern for the seemingly intangible and transitory qualities of landscape.Through these photographs, MacFarland has attempted to interpret and reconcile his own experiences of nature and, consequently, of life.
Charles Bank Gallery | 196 Bowery, New York, New York 10012
Exhibit: Through 8/19
• The Age of Innocence: Prisoner Escapist Photos "The Age of Innocence: Prisoner Escapist Photos," as collected and documented by artist Dave Adler is on view at The Clocktower Gallery. The exhibition consists of 16 photographs of prisoners, by prisoners, using prisoner painted backdrops that feature fantasy scenes of life outside prisons.
The Clocktower Gallery | 108 Leonard Street, 13th floor, New York, New York 10013
• DecoratorsBest Design Room 5% Off Sale Shop the DecoratorsBest Design Room during the month of August and receive an additional 5% off all orders $300 or more!
DecoratorsBest Design Room | 767 Lexington Avenue, New York, New York 10065
• Pedini NY Showroom Display Sale Shop the Pedini annual Kitchen Display Sale and save up to 50% on high quality Italian designer, award winning contemporary kitchen cabinetry.
Pedini | 40 Lispenard Street, New York, New York 10013
• ABC Carpet & Home Bronx Outlet Summer Sale Just in time for fall, ABC Carpet & Home's annual Bronx Outlet Sale is here. This exciting event marks the reinvention of the Bronx location, including the introduction of many new products and the redesign of the store's interior. The sale includes up to 75% off furniture, rugs, lighting, linens, accessories and more. Theodore Alexander, Ralph Lauren and EJ Victor are all marked down by up to 50%, and Calvin Klein up to 60%.
ABC Carpet & Home Bronx Warehouse Outlet | 1055 Bronx River Avenue, Bronx, New York 10472
• Tiger Lily's Home Hamptons Pop Up Tiger Lily's Greenwich is bringing their full-service design studio to the Hamptons for the summer. With 1,500-square-feet of studio space on Highway 27, Tiger Lily's Home will offer beachside sophistication with custom creative ranging from pillows and bedding to furnishings and home accents. The studio boasts signature pieces approved by mother-daughter team, Betsy and Samantha Knapp. From antique to mid-century modern, each piece of furniture has been hand-touched and refinished.
Tiger Lily's Home | 103 Hayground Road, Water Mill, New York 11976
• Circa Dee: Camp Vintage Pop Up Shop Circa Dee will be opening up their brick and mortar location for 3 days only this month. Two floors will be stocked with campy home accessories and tons of ideas on how to bring the great outdoors in...without sleeping in a tent. Plus, prepare for fall because vintage cowboy boots will be on pre-sale at 20% off the fall season price.
Circa Dee | 1814 Valley Forge Road, Worcester, Pennsylvania 19403
8/10: 12pm - 8pm
8/11: 10am - 6pm
8/12: 10am - 6pm
• Digs Inside & Out Street Fair Sale Celebrating the Allberta Steet Fair for one day only. 20% off all in-stock furniture, pillows and rugs.
Digs Inside & Out | 1829 NE Alberta Street, Portland, Oregon 97211
8/11: 11am - 6pm
• Rejuvenation/ Wave of Light Benefit for Live Wire Radio Rejuvenation has teamed up with Live Wire! Radio to host Wave of Light, a benefit for the Portland premiere radio variety show. Live Wire! lights up the airwaves with music, comedy and inspired performances, while Rejuvenation brings classic American lighting that is made to last, made to love and made for you. This fun, festive event combines elements of light and life, laughter and thought-provoking performances.
Rejuvenation's Back Lot | 1100 SE Grand Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97214
8/16: 6pm - 9pm
• Summer Sale at Woonwinkel Woonwinkel is making room for new work by their favorite designers! Take up to 50% off floor models, home accessories, and gifts.
Woonwinkel | 935 SW Washington Street, Portland, Oregon 97205
• East Bay Living Home Tours The American Institute of Architects, East Bay announces the East Bay Living Home Tours 2012, a showcase of great design by local architects in Oakland, Berkeley, Albany and Lafayette. The self-guided tour features seven East Bay homes with both traditional and contemporary designs, as well as renovation, new construction and prefab projects. TICKETS
Doyle Street Cafe | 5515 Doyle Street #10, Emeryville, California 94608
8/11: 10am - 4:30pm
• Cole Gerst: Nature Designs Itself Nature Designs Itself: new paintings on paper and prints on wood by Cole Gerst. $1 will go towards The Nature Conservancy for planting trees for every wood print sold.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, California 94117
• The Great Summer Savings Event at California Carpet Save up to 75% off on select merchandise. A few sale highlights are 100% wool carpeting, colorful designer rugs, and a great selection of indoor/outdoor rugs too! Hurry in now for the best selection as quantities are limited.
California Carpet | 1197 Folsom Street, San Francisco, California 94103
• Akio Nukaga at New Heath Ceramics Showroom & Gallery After his 2009 and 2011 quickly sold-out exhibitions at Heath Ceramics Los Angeles, Japanese master potter Akio Nukaga returns to Heath, only this time in San Francisco. "Very New Work" marks the first show and celebration of the new Heath showroom and gallery in the city's Northeast Mission neighborhood.
Heath Ceramics | 550 Florida Street, San Francisco 94110
• Accent European Floor Model Sale Accent European, an Italian kitchen and bath cabinet store located in downtown Walnut Creek is moving and selling all of its showroom models. Products range between 40-70% off and are from the Italian Karol, Miton and Composit lines. The cabinetry is gorgeous, modern, sleek, smart and environmentally friendly. Appliances where present, are included, as well as countertops, interior drawer accessories, and faucets. Additional coordinating modules can be ordered, also at a greatly reduced cost.
Accent European | 1571 Botelho Drive, Walnut Creek, California 94596
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
Send it to us. We publish every week:
Images: Clockwise from top left: Eskayel Summer Sale, East Bay Living Home Tours, California's Designing Women, The Vintage Bazaar