All across the country, folks are trying to enjoy the waning lazy days of summer. Here at Apartment Therapy, we're keeping our eyes peeled for all the best sales and events to keep you occupied. From coast to coast (and online, too), we've compiled a comprehensive list to save you some scratch and keep you occupied. Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Gus* Modern Summer Upholstery Sale Gus* Modern is offering 20% off sofas, sectionals, chairs and ottomans at participating retailers across North America during the Summer Upholstery Sale.
• Serena & Lily Annual Summer Sale Take up to 35% off select Serena & Lily bedding, crib bedding, gifts and decor at Polka Dot Peacock's Annual Summer Sale.
• Mortise & Tenon Summer Sale Save up to 35% off urban rustic and casual modern home furnishings online. Mortise & Tenon also specializes in reclaimed dining tables — with custom sizes available.
• Lightology Sale Take 10% off all Koncept Lighting when you spend $250 or more.
• BoConcept Semi-Annual Sale Terni and Quattro sofas in all leathers and fabrics will be discounted 20%, as well as other popular designs like extendable dining tables, dining chairs and more. In preparation for the new collection arriving this September, floor sample designs will be up to 60% off regular retail price too.
Online and in stores
• Messy Room Makeover Contest Has entering your kid's cave suddenly turned into an Olympic event? Navigating the slopes of smelly socks that have piled up on the floor, leaping over the mountains of books and toys and dashing towards the exit as the stench of forgotten food overwhelms the senses. If so, g.u.s. wants to see it! Submit photos for a chance to win a $400 makeover of your kid's room.
• Aero Summer Sale Aero's bi-annual sale features deep discounts on furniture and accessories, both vintage and from the Thomas O'Brien collections. Plus, take advantage of the first-time ever special promotion: spend $1,000 and receive a 20% discount certificate good through 9/15/11.
Online and in store
• Home Remedy Super Summer Clearance Sale Home Remedy is commemorating the almost-end-of-summer with a sale that includes new items marked to 30% off as well as previously marked home accessories from Jonathan Adler, Thomas Paul, Roost, and more now up to 75% off.
• Greentea Design's Summer Sale Greentea Design is holding its Summer Sale! Save up to 60% on clearance items, and up to 25% on all pieces in our collections.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Mohr & McPherson Summer Sale Mohr & McPherson will host a Summer Sale for the first time at the flagship Harrison Avenue showroom in Boston's South End. The entire inventory will be discounted 25 to 70% off, including rugs.
Mohr & McPherson | 460 Harrison Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
• 54th Annual New Hampshire Antiques Show Nearly 70 dealers of high-quality American antiques — from folk art to fine porcelain, country and formal furniture to paintings and prints — set aside "fresh-to-market" merchandise in anticipation of this show, one of New England's largest. The show attracts thousands of buyers and enthusiasts from around the country seeking high-quality antiques at reasonable prices.
Radisson Hotel | 700 Elm Street, Manchester, New Hampshire 03101
8/11: 10am - 7pm
8/12: 10am - 7pm
8/13: 10am - 4pm
• Prairieland Warehouse Antiques Check out the Summer Clearance Sale with 20% off the entire inventory of antique furniture and furnishings, fine and decorative arts.
Prairieland Warehouse Antiques | 7505 North Waukegan Road, Niles, Illinois 60714
• Dose Market The monthly food and shopping gathering returns to the River East Art Center with 42 artisans and entrepreneurs — 22 of those are new to this month's market. One of our favorite Mid-C purveyors, Study, will be there. And be sure to check out Gentleman's Boombox's eye-catching display of vintage suitcases-cum-speakers.
River East Arts Center | 432 East Illinois Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611
8/14: 10am - 4pm
• Jayson Home & Garden Floor Model & More Sale Up to 50% off huge selection of new and vintage furniture and accessories, including sofas, chairs, tables, lighting, rugs, pillows and more.
Jayson Home & Garden | 1885 North Clybourn Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614
• Color & Fabric Trends Check out this exclusive design seminar, Color and Fabric Trends, hosted by style maven and fashion forecaster, Jana Burvikovs. One lucky participant will win a brand new chair from Thomasville.
Thomasville | 1910 North Clybourn Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614
• WE Heart Handmade Art West Elm and etsy invite you to come check out art, crafts and handmade goods from local etsy designers curated by Mgda Sayeg of Knitta.
West Elm | 3910 Westheimer Road, Houston, Texas 77027
8/20: 1pm - 6pm
• Sheherazade Summer Sale Summer is hot and so is the Sheherazade sale. Save up to 40% off all the items.
Sheherazade | 121 Orchard Street, New York, New York 10002
• NYDC Launch Party The New York Design Center hosts a launch party for Dwell Studio.
Global Views Showroom | 200 Lexington Avenue, New York, New York 10016
8/15: 5:30pm - 8pm
• Rico Yellow Dot Sale 50% average markdown on floor clearance, 30% off on all new upholstery orders (except for sleepers) and 15% off on all case goods, rugs, lighting, and artwork.
Rico | 384 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11217
• GreenHomeNYC'S Green Furniture Design Challenge GreenHomeNYC is searching for ten environmentally conscious design students to lead the design and construction of our Garden Lounge space at this fall's The New New York event. Winning entries will have access to a wealth of free materials from Build it Green, Icestone, and Film Biz Recycling, along with a host of design support from our panel of jurors. INFORMATION
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
• Lisa Nankivil: Lines of Inference A contemporary abstractionist, Lisa Nankivil creates distinctive and highly sensuous compositions in which she alternates areas of gestural brushwork with linear ribbons of richly variegated hues. Employing devices such as blades, rubber squeegees, T-squares, and pieces of cardboard and wood, she presses and scrapes her surfaces, imbuing the edges of her colored bands with lush textures that act as a counterpoint to the painted ground. Nankivil works intuitively, constructing abstract motifs directly on the canvas while emphasizing the tangible aspects of pure paint through innumerable applications of opaque and transparent color. With color as a metaphor, Nankivil's paintings explore a spiritual realm, eliciting feelings, associations, and meanings that allude to a concrete, visible reality. Ultimately, it is this meditative content and its emotional resonance that lies at the heart of her work.
Spanierman Modern | 53 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022
• The 2011 Hampton Designer Showhouse The Hampton Designer Showhouse, now in its eleventh year, is a showcase for America's premiere design talent. Approximately 25 top interior designers and decorative artists will turn a lavish shingle style home into a decorating masterpiece. TICKETS
Hampton Designer Showhouse | 1224 Scuttle Hole Road, Bridgehampton, New York 11976
• ABC Carpet Sale Furniture, rugs, lighting, tabletop items and decorative accessories will be up to 75 percent off during the Bronx Warehouse Sale at ABC Carpet & Home
ABC Carpet & Home | 1055 Bronx River Avenue, Bronx, New York 10472
• M&M Design International Sale Designer, one-of-a-kind, first edition and showroom sample rug sale. All rugs on sale, including many First Edition pieces from designers such as Missoni, Niba, Dakota Jackson and Adam Tihany. All Tibetan rugs are GoodWeave certified.
M&M Design International | 226 Westbury Avenue, Carle Place, New York 11514
8/15 - 9/15
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people's needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• FORM Contemporary Design Show FORM 2011 is the second installment of an annual contemporary furniture, functional object and architectural design show presented by The Luminary Center for the Arts as a platform to encourage interaction with contemporary design, support independent designers, and increase awareness of cutting-edge trends in the design field.
FORM Contemporary Design Show | 8125 Michigan Avenue, Saint Louis, Missouri 63111
8/12 - /13
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Gump's EQ Show The beauty of horses is undeniable. They are an amazing creature, a gift that has graced our world for thousands of years. They have inspired chariots, sewn fertile soils, served on ceremony, raced to every finish line and carried early San Franciscans through treacherous terrain safely to the shores of the Pacific. We celebrate the seductive and powerful character of horses through the many mediums that are available to our artisans. Fine oils, wood, bronze, glass, leather and clay all shape our desire to capture the essence of this most beautiful creature. Join us and explore an installation of equestrian delight.
Gump's | 135 Post Street, San Francisco, California 94108
• Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris The de Young hosts an extraordinary exhibition of more than 100 masterpieces by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881–1973) from the permanent collection of Paris's world-renowned Musée National Picasso. The once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, made possible only because of the temporary closure of the Musée Picasso until 2012 for extensive renovations, comprises paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints drawn from every phase of the artist's career.
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, California 94118
• The Feng Shui of Color Those who attend this class will receive their choice of one of the eight Dwelling Palettes as a gift. The Dwelling Palette will be used during the class as the tool for understanding how to manipulate the energy of architectural color. Feel free to bring home decor items that resonate with you deeply: art, textiles, and architectural finishes inform your color palette most effectively.
Breathe Books | 810 West 36th Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21211
8/14: 1pm - 3pm
• Red Barn Mercantile Semi-Annual Upholstery Sale Take 25% off all special order upholstery.
Red Barn Mercantile | 113 South Columbus Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314
• Free Summer Saturdays at the Corcoran Join the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design for FREE Summer Saturdays – back by popular demand! This summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend, enjoy free admission to the Gallery, including special exhibitions Chris Martin: Painting Big and Washington Color and Light. Enjoy special programs, Gallery tours, workshops, demonstrations, and performances for all ages.
Corcoran Gallery of Art | 500 17th Street NW, Washington DC 20006
Send it to us. We publish every week: