Clockwise: YLighting Fabbian Sale, The Shade Store Site-Wide Summer Sale,
Cuddledown Annual Pillow Sale, Golden Triangle End-of-Season Sidewalk Sale
All month long we've been talking about setting up home. Whether you're setting up a new home or refreshing an old one, our sales and events list will help you save some dough while outfitting your space. From lighting and window shades to bedding and bath, there's something for every room in this week's list. Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Rejuvenation Bath Sale Save 20% on select bath items. Sale includes select bath hardware, lighting, clawfoot tubs, medicine cabinets and more.
Online and in stores
• Serena & Lily Annual Summer Sale Take up to 35% off select Serena & Lily bedding, crib bedding, gifts and decor at Polka Dot Peacock's Annual Summer Sale.
• Mortise & Tenon Summer Sale Save up to 35% off urban rustic and casual modern home furnishings online. Mortise & Tenon also specializes in reclaimed dining tables — with custom sizes available.
• Lightology Sale Take 10% off all Koncept Lighting when you spend $250 or more.
• The Shade Store Site-Wide Summer Sale New site-wide summer sale on all window treatment products. Enjoy 10% off all custom shades, blinds, drapery.
• BoConcept Semi-Annual Sale Terni and Quattro sofas in all leathers and fabrics will be discounted 20%, as well as other popular designs like extendable dining tables, dining chairs and more. In preparation for the new collection arriving this September, floor sample designs will be up to 60% off regular retail price too.
Online and in stores
• Messy Room Makeover Contest Has entering your kid’s cave suddenly turned into an Olympic event? Navigating the slopes of smelly socks that have piled up on the floor, leaping over the mountains of books and toys and dashing towards the exit as the stench of forgotten food overwhelms the senses. If so, g.u.s. wants to see it! Submit photos for a chance to win a $400 makeover of your kid's room.
• YLighting's Fabbian Lighting Sale Save 15% on all Fabbian Lighting + enjoy free shipping. Sale includes new designs available exclusively online at YLighting.
• Aero Summer Sale Aero's bi-annual sale features deep discounts on furniture and accessories, both vintage and from the Thomas O'Brien collections. Plus, take advantage of the first-time ever special promotion: spend $1,000 and receive a 20% discount certificate good through 9/15/11.
Online and in store
• Home Remedy Super Summer Clearance Sale Home Remedy is commemorating the almost-end-of-summer with a sale that includes new items marked to 30% off as well as previously marked home accessories from Jonathan Adler, Thomas Paul, Roost, and more now up to 75% off.
• Greentea Design's Summer Sale Greentea Design is holding its Summer Sale! Save up to 60% on clearance items, and up to 25% on all pieces in our collections.
• The Garden Conservancy’s Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Cuddledown Annual Pillow Sale Save 25% off on all pillows. Choose from the quality Maine-made down and down alternative pillows, in addition to specialty neck and back support pillows, latex, cotton, and silk fill pillows.
• Grand Street Gardens Yard Sale Check out this big blowout yard sale with huge markdowns in all departments.
Grand Street Gardens | 2200 West Grand, Chicago, Illinois 60612
8/19 - 8/21
• Chicago Summer Antiques Show & Sale The Chicago O'Hare Summer Antiques Show & Sale has returned to Rosemont. Shop from a large selection of vendors offering every style of antique and collectible.
Donald E. Stephens Convention Center | 5555 North River Road, Rosemont, Illinois 60018
8/19 - 8/21
• Golden Triangle's End-of-Season Sidewalk Sale Hundreds of antiques, home furnishings and accessories will be discounted by up to 70%. At this end-of-season sidewalk sale you'll find Chinese stone benches, vases and planters, Indian lamps and mirrors, Thai architectural fragments, boxes, industrial lamps, furniture prototypes, odd chunks of salvaged wood, and more.
Golden Triangle | 330 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• WE Heart Handmade Art West Elm and etsy invite you to come check out art, crafts and handmade goods from local etsy designers curated by Mgda Sayeg of Knitta.
West Elm | 3910 Westheimer Road, Houston, Texas 77027
8/20: 1pm - 6pm
• Cause for Creativity: Tour da Arts Beat the pump, cycle the town, and enjoy Santa Monica's sights and sounds with SMMoA's third annual bike event Cause for Creativity: Tour da Arts.
Santa Monica Museum of Art | 2525 Michigan Avenue, Santa Monica, California 90404
8/21: 12pm - 7pm
• Ligne Roset Renovation Floor Sample Sale Save up to 50% off floor samples, overstock and discontinued items.
Ligne Roset | 155 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10012
• GreenHomeNYC'S Green Furniture Design Challenge GreenHomeNYC is searching for ten environmentally conscious design students to lead the design and construction of our Garden Lounge space at this fall's The New New York event. Winning entries will have access to a wealth of free materials from Build it Green, Icestone, and Film Biz Recycling, along with a host of design support from our panel of jurors. INFORMATION
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum’s Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
• Lisa Nankivil: Lines of Inference A contemporary abstractionist, Lisa Nankivil creates distinctive and highly sensuous compositions in which she alternates areas of gestural brushwork with linear ribbons of richly variegated hues. Employing devices such as blades, rubber squeegees, T-squares, and pieces of cardboard and wood, she presses and scrapes her surfaces, imbuing the edges of her colored bands with lush textures that act as a counterpoint to the painted ground. Nankivil works intuitively, constructing abstract motifs directly on the canvas while emphasizing the tangible aspects of pure paint through innumerable applications of opaque and transparent color. With color as a metaphor, Nankivil’s paintings explore a spiritual realm, eliciting feelings, associations, and meanings that allude to a concrete, visible reality. Ultimately, it is this meditative content and its emotional resonance that lies at the heart of her work.
Spanierman Modern | 53 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022
• The 2011 Hampton Designer Showhouse The Hampton Designer Showhouse, now in its eleventh year, is a showcase for America’s premiere design talent. Approximately 25 top interior designers and decorative artists will turn a lavish shingle style home into a decorating masterpiece. TICKETS
Hampton Designer Showhouse | 1224 Scuttle Hole Road, Bridgehampton, New York 11976
• ABC Carpet Sale Furniture, rugs, lighting, tabletop items and decorative accessories will be up to 75 percent off during the Bronx Warehouse Sale at ABC Carpet & Home
ABC Carpet & Home | 1055 Bronx River Avenue, Bronx, New York 10472
• M&M Design International Sale Designer, one-of-a-kind, first edition and showroom sample rug sale. All rugs on sale, including many First Edition pieces from designers such as Missoni, Niba, Dakota Jackson and Adam Tihany. All Tibetan rugs are GoodWeave certified.
M&M Design International | 226 Westbury Avenue, Carle Place, New York 11514
8/15 - 9/15
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people’s needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• West Elm & Pinterest Shopping Event West Elm & Pinterest are hosting a shopping event. RSVPed guests will get 10% off all purchases during the event, including West Elm's latest Fall collection. There will also be food, drinks, a DJ, and a SmileBooth to snap some memories with your friends. RSVP
West Elm | 5602 Bay Street, Emeryville, California 94608
8/25: 6pm - 9pm
• Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris The de Young hosts an extraordinary exhibition of more than 100 masterpieces by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881–1973) from the permanent collection of Paris’s world-renowned Musée National Picasso. The once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, made possible only because of the temporary closure of the Musée Picasso until 2012 for extensive renovations, comprises paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints drawn from every phase of the artist’s career.
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, California 94118
• Red Barn Mercantile Semi-Annual Upholstery Sale Take 25% off all special order upholstery.
Red Barn Mercantile | 113 South Columbus Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314
• Free Summer Saturdays at the Corcoran Join the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design for FREE Summer Saturdays – back by popular demand! This summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend, enjoy free admission to the Gallery, including special exhibitions Chris Martin: Painting Big and Washington Color and Light. Enjoy special programs, Gallery tours, workshops, demonstrations, and performances for all ages.
Corcoran Gallery of Art | 500 17th Street NW, Washington DC 20006
Images: YLighting, The Shade Store, Cuddledown, Golden Triangle