This is the last full weekend of August (goodbye summer!) so this is also your last chance to scoop up some of the deals in the sales and events list. There's a little bit of everything this week — from lighting and window blinds to furniture and accessories. Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Lightology Sale Take 10% off all Koncept Lighting when you spend $250 or more.
• Arhaus Store Wide Sale 20 to 40% off of seasonal accessories, upholstery, dining tables and chairs, bedroom and office furniture. Plus, take an additional 10% off lighting, relics, hides, rugs, and accessories.
Online and in stores
• BoConcept Semi-Annual Sale Terni and Quattro sofas in all leathers and fabrics will be discounted 20%, as well as other popular designs like extendable dining tables, dining chairs and more. In preparation for the new collection arriving this September, floor sample designs will be up to 60% off regular retail price too.
Online and in stores
• Messy Room Makeover Contest Has entering your kid's cave suddenly turned into an Olympic event? Navigating the slopes of smelly socks that have piled up on the floor, leaping over the mountains of books and toys and dashing towards the exit as the stench of forgotten food overwhelms the senses. If so, g.u.s. wants to see it! Submit photos for a chance to win a $400 makeover of your kid's room.
• YLighting's Fabbian Lighting Sale Save 15% on all Fabbian Lighting + enjoy free shipping. Sale includes new designs available exclusively online at YLighting.
• DwellStudio Sale at Polka Dot Peacock Polka Dot Peacock is offering up to 30% off select DwellStudio rugs, duvet sets, bedding and accessories. Plus, take advantage of free shipping on orders over $100!
• Aero Summer Sale Aero's bi-annual sale features deep discounts on furniture and accessories, both vintage and from the Thomas O'Brien collections. Plus, take advantage of the first-time ever special promotion: spend $1,000 and receive a 20% discount certificate good through 9/15/11.
Online and in store
• Home Remedy Super Summer Clearance Sale Home Remedy is commemorating the almost-end-of-summer with a sale that includes new items marked to 30% off as well as previously marked home accessories from Jonathan Adler, Thomas Paul, Roost, and more now up to 75% off.
• Vermont Woods Studios Fine Dining Furniture Sale All Vermont Handcrafted Wood Dining Furniture is on Sale with savings up to 15% plus Free Shipping!
• Greentea Design's Summer Sale Greentea Design is holding its Summer Sale! Save up to 60% on clearance items, and up to 25% on all pieces in our collections.
• Studio North Design Labor Day Sale Save 25% off all pieces of the Block and Board Shelving Collection, including the very cool Stuff Block which lets you clear the clutter and sort your stuff.
8/29 - 9/16
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Cuddledown Annual Pillow Sale Save 25% off on all pillows. Choose from the quality Maine-made down and down alternative pillows, in addition to specialty neck and back support pillows, latex, cotton, and silk fill pillows.
• Waterdream: The Art of Bathroom Design Duravit's partnership with design powerhouse Philippe Starck has been recognized with accolades and awards across the globe. Duravit Starck will be on display as part of a popular exhibit entitled WaterDream: the Art of Bathroom Design, mounted at the newly relocated Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA). Visitors will learn how Philippe Starck in collaboration with manufacturers Duravit, Axor and Hoesch, revolutionized the bathroom in the early nineties when he transformed the entire bathroom from a small obscure room into a relaxing retreat drenched in natural light, warm materials and uncompromising modernity. Starck's approach signaled a turning point in bathroom design in his creation of rooms that expressed a spectrum of moods, emotions and expressions, rather than just creating a rational and utilitarian space."
MODA | 1315 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30309
• American Craft Exposition Approximately 150 juried craftspeople from across the United States exhibit baskets, ceramics, fiber decorative, fiber wearable, furniture, glass, jewelry, leather, metal, mixed media, paper and wood crafts.
The Henry Crown Sports Pavilion Northwestern University | 2311 North Campus Drive, Evanston, Illinois 60208
8/26 - 8/28
• Bucktown Arts Fest Now in its 26th year, the Bucktown Arts fest has grown to become a neighborhood tradition and one of the city's – and the country's – premier arts festivals showcasing close to 200 participating artists, plus countless musicians, dancers, poets & performers and attracting more than 40,000 visitors annually.
Senior Citizens Memorial Park, 2300 N. Oakley, Chicago, Illinois 60647
8/27 - 8/28
• Golden Triangle's End-of-Season Sidewalk Sale Hundreds of antiques, home furnishings and accessories will be discounted by up to 70%. At this end-of-season sidewalk sale you'll find Chinese stone benches, vases and planters, Indian lamps and mirrors, Thai architectural fragments, boxes, industrial lamps, furniture prototypes, odd chunks of salvaged wood, and more.
Golden Triangle | 330 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Cloud Noir Dining Sale Take 25 % off all floor model dining tables.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Blu Dot Summer Sidewalk Sale Blu Dot is having their annual Sidewalk Sale. Gently worn products and floor samples are discounted at up to 75% off.
Blu Dot | 140 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10012
• Reflecting the Stars Sunset Launch Party 2 1/2 years ago Jon Morris, Creative Director of The Windmill Factory, dreamed of recreating a night sky with visible stars on the Hudson River. With no prior knowledge of electronics and no major funding, Jon rallied friends and new collaborators to invent one of the first wirelessly-controlled solar-powered LED lights in an effort to give New Yorkers the gift of star gazing. Last week, a team of volunteers rowed out from Pier 49 and installed 217 of these LED light capsules on top of raised posts that can be seen from the shore. Please join in the fun at a sunset picnic in celebration of this stellar spectacle. Remarks will be given by architect Charles Renfro of DS+R , Assembly Member Linda Rosenthal, Google and Project Software Engineer Adam Berenzweig, and artist Jon Morris. An afterparty will follow the opening with details provided on-site. RSVP
Pier 49 | Hudson River Park at Bank Street, New York, New York
• Lisa Nankivil: Lines of Inference A contemporary abstractionist, Lisa Nankivil creates distinctive and highly sensuous compositions in which she alternates areas of gestural brushwork with linear ribbons of richly variegated hues. Employing devices such as blades, rubber squeegees, T-squares, and pieces of cardboard and wood, she presses and scrapes her surfaces, imbuing the edges of her colored bands with lush textures that act as a counterpoint to the painted ground. Nankivil works intuitively, constructing abstract motifs directly on the canvas while emphasizing the tangible aspects of pure paint through innumerable applications of opaque and transparent color. With color as a metaphor, Nankivil's paintings explore a spiritual realm, eliciting feelings, associations, and meanings that allude to a concrete, visible reality. Ultimately, it is this meditative content and its emotional resonance that lies at the heart of her work.
Spanierman Modern | 53 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022
• The 2011 Hampton Designer Showhouse The Hampton Designer Showhouse, now in its eleventh year, is a showcase for America's premiere design talent. Approximately 25 top interior designers and decorative artists will turn a lavish shingle style home into a decorating masterpiece. TICKETS
Hampton Designer Showhouse | 1224 Scuttle Hole Road, Bridgehampton, New York 11976
• ABC Carpet Sale Furniture, rugs, lighting, tabletop items and decorative accessories will be up to 75 percent off during the Bronx Warehouse Sale at ABC Carpet & Home
ABC Carpet & Home | 1055 Bronx River Avenue, Bronx, New York 10472
• M&M Design International Sale Designer, one-of-a-kind, first edition and showroom sample rug sale. All rugs on sale, including many First Edition pieces from designers such as Missoni, Niba, Dakota Jackson and Adam Tihany. All Tibetan rugs are GoodWeave certified.
M&M Design International | 226 Westbury Avenue, Carle Place, New York 11514
• Point Pleasant Village Designer House Point Pleasant Village Designer House—the Ultimate Before and After. Tour this historic canal home and grounds to see how a team of talented designers, landscape designer, contractors, painters, and volunteers have transformed an 1850's parsonage into a charming, livable abode.
Point Pleasant Designer House | 34 River Road, Point Pleasant, Pennsylvania 18950
9/1 - 9/25
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people's needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• West Elm & Pinterest Shopping Event West Elm & Pinterest are hosting a shopping event. RSVPed guests will get 10% off all purchases during the event, including West Elm's latest Fall collection. There will also be food, drinks, a DJ, and a SmileBooth to snap some memories with your friends. RSVP
West Elm | 5602 Bay Street, Emeryville, California 94608
8/25: 6pm - 9pm
• Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris The de Young hosts an extraordinary exhibition of more than 100 masterpieces by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881–1973) from the permanent collection of Paris's world-renowned Musée National Picasso. The once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, made possible only because of the temporary closure of the Musée Picasso until 2012 for extensive renovations, comprises paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints drawn from every phase of the artist's career.
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, California 94118
• Sample Sale at Home on the Harbor 10-60% off all furniture, lighting and rugs in the showroom. Classic and modern pieces by Blu Dot, Gus Modern, Kartell, American Leather and more.
Home on the Harbor | 1414 Key Highway, Baltimore, Maryland 21230