Now that you've crawled out from under that turkey and stuffing hangover, it's time to start thinking about holiday shopping. While there may be four full weeks between now and Christmas, that time will get quickly gobbled up by parties and other festive frivolities. In other words, get started on holiday shopping now and spend the rest of the holiday season sipping egg nog and feeling superior to all the procrastinators. Check out the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your own sale or event.
Shown, clockwise from top left: Herman Miller Sale at Room & Board, Heath Ceramics November Sale, West Elm Tabletop Sale, "Work and Non Work" by Susie Ghahremani
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• CoolChairz.com Small Business Saturday Sale Save 10% on all orders with CoolChairz.com on Small Business Saturday. Plus, use your AMEX card and also receive a $25 credit back from American Express.
• Ligne Roset: Alcantara Sale Ligne Roset is offering a 15% discount on any product upholstered in Alcantara, an innovative, luxurious material that is the result of a unique and proprietary technology. Please note that this discount is only applicable to items upholstered in Alcantara® and is not applicable with any other promotion or sale.
• Curran Floor Thanksgiving Sale New York SynSisal Sale! Take 40% off the best synthetic sisal on the market.
• Rutherford Papers Holiday Sale Save 20% off all items site wide, including personalized gifts.
• Wexel Art Frames Black Friday Sale Ready. Set. Shop! Black Friday weekend get Free Shipping, and up to 20% off many popular items, including the Eva Zeisel Gift Set. Plus, 5% of all sales are being donated to the American Red Cross this month.
• Vermont Woods Studios Storewide Black Friday Furniture Sale 5 days to save 20% storewide on timeless stylish wood furniture for every room in your home (plus free shipping & lifetime guarantee).
• McGuire Furniture Clearance Event Take 10% off all clearance items.
• PillowThrowDecor Black Friday Sale As many as 100 decorative throw pillows and Christmas items, all clearance priced at $12 each. Plus, everything in the sale section will be between $2 and $20.
• Coyuchi Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale Coyuchi, the organic bedding and apparel company, is offering 20% off robes and sleepwear. Plus, enjoy free shipping.
• Dyson Black Friday Sale Dyson, the brand that never discounts, is having its largest promotion of the year for Black Friday. All Dyson technology is 25% off.
• Blik Thanksgiving Sale Blik's Thanksgiving Sale kicked-off earlier this week, with 25% off everything at. As an added inventive, a percentage of sales (from the Thanksgiving sale) will go towards helping Hurricane Sandy victims through The Red Cross.
• Crane & Canopy Cyber Monday Sale Receive 20% off your entire order.
• Aluminyze's Cyber Monday 35% off any Aluminyze photo and free shipping to anywhere in the U.S.
11/25 - 11/26
• Red Line Vintage Black Friday & Cyber Monday Sale The entire store is on sale! Beginning Black Friday through Cyber Monday, all vintage inventory is 15% off. Prices are already marked down.
• Urban Wood Goods November Sale Save 15 % on all modern eco-friendly and sustainable reclaimed wood furniture made in the US. One-of-a-kind industrial modern tables, desks, benches, wine racks, stools and more at the lowest prices of the year.
• reStyled by Valerie Thanksgiving Sale 15% off everything at this store wide Thanksgiving Sale.
• Heather Lins Home Sale 50% off select pillows and table linens, including Eye Chart Pillow collection, Science Project collection and Numbered Napkins and Coasters.
• Plywerk Procrastination Prevention Promotion Get your holiday gifts early and save! 11/9 - 11/15: 25% off; 11/16 - 11/22: 20% off; 11/23-11/29: 15% off
• Baker Annual Lighting & Accessories Event Shed new light on your interiors with 10% off all lighting and accessories.
• Green Depot Air Purifier Sale Free Shipping on online orders of Humidifiers and Austin Air Purifiers. Improve your indoor air quality this fall. An effective air filter will make your home feel fresh and clean - removing pet dander, dust, and other contaminants from your home's air! Humidifiers help keep your family healthy and comfortable during the winter by counteracting the drying effects that heat can have in a home.
• CoolChairz.com/Hurrican Sandy Relief Effort CoolChairz.com will donate $5 for every chair that is sold on its website during the month of November to the American Red Cross Hurricane Sandy Relief Effort.
• Lightology November Sale Save 30% on the brand-new Eva Zeisel collection from Leucos, along with Sonneman, Hudson Valley and Many other brands, exclusively at Lightology.
• Spot On Square Fall Sale Save 15% off Spot On Square's Roh and Hiya Collections for the month of November. Modern furnishings for baby and the whole home – sustainable, eco-friendly and made in the USA.
• Studio North Small Business Saturday Sale Save 30% on the Block and Board Shelving and Chop Blocks.
• Greentea Design's Bedroom Sale Save 20% on Asian-inspired bedroom pieces.
• iittala Holiday Sale Huge iittala Holiday Sale. All iittala at 20% off: glassware, dinnerware, home decor, kitchen and more. Everything you need to entertain guest + great gift items.
• Modani Black Friday Sale Save up to 60% off modern furniture at Modani's sale of the year.
Online and in stores
• Viva Terra's Home for the Holidays On November 12, VivaTerra kicked off "Home for the Holidays," a 25-day/25-products half-off shopping spree featuring some of their top-selling items from 2012. Every week will feature a new theme, such as Seasonal Décor and Get Ready for Guests, highlighting a different product each day. From Moroccan Tea Glasses, and Giant Gold Temple Bells to Cashmere Ruffled Scarves, and Fleecy Silk Fringed Throws to shown below the Temple Bell and Quartz Crystal Ornaments and the Root of the Earth Bowls there is something sure to delight almost everyone!
• Herman Miller Sale at Room & Board Customers can save 15% off all designs by Herman Miller at any of Room & Board's locations.
Online & in stores
• FLOS Black D'E-light Sale FLOS, the renowned Italian lighting manufacturer has a special holiday sale, offering almost 50% off the Black D'E-light task lamp, designed by Philippe Starck.
• My Sweet Muffin Holiday Sale Free shipping on all orders over $25.
• Our Cups Runneth Over Our Cups Runneth Over is a biannual exhibition and sale of contemporary ceramic cups featuring the work of 33 artists from around the country. The exhibition attracts the attention of regional and national collectors and has become an important educational destination for students to learn about the various formal, conceptual and technical approaches that ceramics allows. For the exhibition, Sanam Emami, Head of the Pottery Department at Colorado State University, Fort Collins has conceived a site-specific installation that further explores her interest in the patterns of Iranian and Islamic art and architecture.
Society of Arts & Crafts | 175 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• Chiasso's Black Friday Sale Chiasso is holding its Black Friday Sale, offering 25% off everything at its Wilmette and Chicago stores. All product categories will be included: furniture, lighting, clocks, artwork, accent pieces, gifts, rugs, and more.
Chiasso Chicago | 2112 North Clybourn Avenue, Chicago, Illinoss 60614
Chiasso Wilmette | 108 Skokie Boulevard, Wilmette, Illinois 60091
11/23 - 11/25
• Judith Miller Book Launch Wright welcomes antiques author Judith Miller to Chicago. Celebrate 20th century design and Judith's new publication with wine and friends at Wright.
Wright | 1440 West Hubbard, Chicago, Illinois 60642
11/27: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
• Studio KL Open House Chicago interior and floral designer, Ramsey Jay Prince will partner with Studio KL to host "Holiday Spirits", a holiday shopping and floral arranging extravaganza with cocktails, nibbles, and gifts galore. Shoppers can learn from the resident pro on how to create a one of a kind wreath for the holidays that's theirs to keep. There will also be fresh and silk flower arrangements, trees, and wreaths available and entertaining tips from your host with the most, Kenneth Ludwig.
Studio KL | 444 North Orleans Street, 4th Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60654
11/29: 5:30pm - 9pm
• Anna Joelsdottir "Flying Through the Cuckoo's Nest" Originally from Iceland, Anna Jóelsdóttir now calls Chicago home. Drawing inspiration from nature and the landscape of both Iceland and the Midwest, Anna Jóelsdóttir uses various mixed media such as paint, ink, graphite, sticks, mylar and now three dimensional forms to translate her thoughts into what she calls "visual writing". Anna Jóelsdóttir's works have been collected and exhibited in museums and galleries internationally - in China, Iceland, New York City, and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago. She received her MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, this will be her third solo show at Zg Gallery.
Zg Gallery | 300 West Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Urban Craft Lab Fall Workshops Urban Craft Lab is a workshop and party company offering relaxing, communal crafting for anyone who wants to make something beautiful and cool. SCHEDULE & LOCATIONS
Weekends through 12/16
• Hawkins/Hawkins: One Saw Everything, One Saw Nothing This exhibition brings together two masters of self-taught art who share a name and a talent for using simple materials to create compelling images: William Hawkins and Hawkins Bolden. The creations of these two artists, one possessing a keen sense of touch and the other a unique vision of the world around him, have a powerful impact when viewed side by side in this exhibition.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• Heath Ceramics November Sale This is the traditional fall event at Heath Los Angeles with all in-store purchases at 20 percent off. Plus, during the weekend of 11/17, visitors can explore Adam Silverman's studio space and also experience the making process with a tile glazing activity. Food and coffee will be offered, as well as a Heath raffle.
Heath Ceramics | 7525 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• "Work and Non Work" by Susie Ghahremani Susie Ghahremani of Boygirlparty presents "Work and Non Work," a new art show with over 100 new paintings and a new mural installation. This exhibition emphasizes the experimentation and play of Ghahremani's miniatures and drawings that she'll be showing juxtaposed with the framed pieces.
Giant Robot | 2062 Sawtelle Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90025
Opening Reception: 11/17: 6:30pm - 10pm
Exhibit: Through 12/5
• WalkOn Tile10th Anniversary Promotion Walk on Tile announces their 10th anniversary special promotion "We Love Our Neighbors @ WalkOn Tile" with 10% additional discount on In-stock tile.
Walk on Tile | 12353 Wilshire Boulevard, West Los Angeles, California 90025
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and international reputation for unrestrained creativity.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
• Dinosaur Designs' Black Friday Sale Dinosaur Designs will be offering 25% off select items from their collection, including handmade resin homewares, at their NYC flagship store.
Dinosaur Designs | 211 Elizabeth Street, New York, New York 10012
11/23 - 11/25:
• Karen Nicol Solo Show: Imaginary Menagerie During the month of November, UK artist and well-known textile designer Karen Nichol will be exhibiting at Rebecca Hossack Gallery NYC. Her exhibition Imaginary Menagerie is an exploration of the hundreds of sewing techniques and vintage finds that influence Nicol's highly textured and tactile work.
Rebecca Hossack Gallery | 262 Mott Street, New York, New York 10012
Opening Reception: 11/7: 6:30 - 8:30
Exhibit: Through 11/30
• Jeffrey Maron: Devotion Affirmation Arts presents Jeffrey Maron: Devotion, a retrospective of Maron's sculptural work that spans 16 years (1976--2012). Jeffrey Maron's work is self-described as "contemporary animism," drawing on spiritual experiences to transform metals and other materials into works of art. His creative process comprises mind, body and spirit, producing pieces that have their own intrinsic energy and animistic themes. Maron's work is characterized by paradoxes; it is tough and beautiful, religious and sensual, reminiscent of familiar symbols, yet unique.
Affirmation Arts | 523 West 37th Street, New York, New York 10018
• Tufenkian Artisan Carpets Create Your Own Nook: One-of-a-Kind 2'x3' Carpet Sale
Tufenkian Artisan Carpets | 919 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• Brooklyn Night Bazaar Inspired by the night markets across Asia, Brooklyn Night Bazaar brings together more than 200 of the borough's most creative independent vendors, musicians, chefs, artists, breweries and wineries.
Brooklyn Night Bazaar | 45 North 5th Street, Brooklyn, New York 11211
Friday & Saturdays through 12/22
• PEDINI's Display Kitchens For Sale PEDINI NY is making room for new displays. PEDINI NY has all new Italian Display Kitchens for Sale! Shop the PEDINI NY annual Display Kitchens Sale and save up to 70% on high-quality Italian designed, award-winning, contemporary kitchen cabinetry. Drop by our Tribeca showroom and let us show you around. Time is of the essence! If you stop in soon you can score a great deal on not only cabinetry, but also counter-tops, appliances and plumbing fixtures. Since we are making room for new collections, it is the most opportune time to buy one of our elite Contemporary Display Kitchens at half of the normal price.
PEDINI | 40 Lispenard Street, New York, New York 10013
• Aqua Creations Sample Sale Aqua invites you to its showroom at the New York Design Center for its annual sample sale.
Aqua Creations | 200 Lexington Avenue, Suite 427, New York, New York 10016
• Mid-Century Furniture Warehouse Public Sale Over 4000 square feet of Mid-Century + Scandinavian furniture, art, and lighting. Open to the public once a month for 4 hours. Wholesale prices.
Mid-Century Furniture Warehouse | 1701 North 2nd Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122
11/25: 12pm - 4pm
• Curated Goods Holiday Sale 25% off original price the entire store and website. Mid Century Modern Furniture, Men's and Women's clothing , shoes and accessories, Home Decor and more.
Curated Goods | 421 Fairmount Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
• Mud, Sweat and Cheer Mudshark Studios has brought together the Portland art community with a month long holiday pop up shop
blending craft, clay and gallery work into one holiday shopping experience. Holiday shoppers can find Growlers from the Portland Growler Company, functional vessels of all kinds from well known clay artists like Victoria Christen, Chris Baskin, Kowkie Durst, Rabun Thompson, Jason Lee Starin, Puji Sheer, Barb Jenson, Brett Binford, Chris Pate, Joshua Kovarik, Zachary Wollert, Allie Bentley and many others, creating sculptural and decorative pieces, ornaments and more from local favorites and up and coming talent alike.
Mudshark Studios | 922 SW Yamhill Street, Portland, Oregon 97205
• Shop Local Holiday Flea The Portland Flea for All can help you fulfill your pledge to buy local, handmade and personal gifts. This Black Friday & Shop Small Business Saturday, there will be three floors of vendors selling new and antique art, bath and beauty products, handmade and vintage jewelry, housewares, furniture and collectibles.
Portland Flea for All | 125 Kennebec Street, Portland, Maine 04101
11/23 - 11/25: 10am - 5pm
• Premiere of Metal Workshop at Zinc Details the West Coast premiere of the Metal Workshop: Cranbrook for Alessi, an exhibition in material studies, product proposal and pre-production samples created by a mix of Cranbrook-based metal artists and designers. Paolo Cravedi, Managing Director of Alessi USA will be present and give a short presentation on the project with insight on its making. The exhibition is the result of a 2009 workshop initiated by Alessi, the Italian 'design factory' at Cranbrook Academy of Art, the renowned graduate school of architecture, fine art and design based in Bloomfield Hills, MI. RSVP
Zinc Details | 1905 Fillmore Street, San Francisco, California 94115
11/29: 6pm - 8pm
• Susan Goldstick Floor Sample Sale 30 - 50% off select merchandise including table lamp floor models and a fantastic selection of decorative knobs and pulls- irregulars and one of a kind prototypes.
Susan Goldstick | 465 Coloma Street, Sausalito, California 94965
• This is My World by Lisa Congdon at Rare Device This is my World is a glimpse inside the brain of San Francisco artist and illustrator, Lisa Congdon. Congdon, long obsessed with the fusion of color, shape and pattern on unlikely surfaces, brings us a show of of small works, painted objects, zines and hand made books. Congdon has combined hand lettering, hand-drawn pattern, and her usual dose of bold color onto paper, vintage ephemera and wood to create an array of pieces that will dazzle even the most sullen observer.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, California 94117
Exhibit: Through 12/21
• Shana Astrachan Holiday Glamour Boutique Local designer and metalsmith, Shana Astrachan, presents A Holiday Glamour Boutique at Rare Device. Shana's love of vintage crafts and glamorous interiors have shaped the objects she created exclusively for this holiday seasons annual pop-up shop. She brings you unique collaborations and works of other designers along with her handcrafted line of jewelry, accessories, paper goods and beauty products. Come visit and experience Shana's crafty nod to eras gone by.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero St., San Francisco, California 94117
• Fenton Street Market Holiday Market Fenton Street Market is a local handmade, vintage and import crafts market in Downtown Silver Spring that runs weekly from April to October of each year. This year they are having their first ever holiday markets. There will be over 100 vendors selling everything from handmade clothing and jewelry, ceramics, wooden toys and books to vintage housewares, bath and body products, crafts and imports. You can easily knock off everyone on your list in one trip.
Veteran's Plaza | Fenton Street and Ellisworth Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910
11/24: 10am - 4pm
12/22: 10am - 4pm
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
(Images: Herman Miller Sale at Room & Board, Heath Ceramics November Sale, West Elm Tabletop Sale, "Work and Non Work" by Susie Ghahremani