December is a festive month full of holiday parties, decorating and, of course, gift giving. Luckily, there's no shortage of holiday sales and special events to help you deck the halls. From online sales to regional events, check them all out in the Weekend Guide. Then, pass it on and send us your own sale or event.
Martyn George Holiday Party, Nantucket Home Clearance Sale
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• DenHaus December Sale Take 15% off all stylish dog crates.
• FLOS Black D'E-light Sale FLOS, the renowned Italian lighting manufacturer has a special holiday sale, offering almost 50% off the Black D'E-light task lamp, designed by Philippe Starck.
• EcoSmart Fire Outlet Sale Up to 65% Off EcoSmart Fire Bioethanol Fireplaces, Burners, and Accessories. Including one-of-a-kind prototypes, showroom displays, lightly blemished stock, and brand new overstock.
• Print My Watercolor Holiday Sale Enjoy a 25 percent discount on all watercolor canvas prints: upload your photo on the website and it will be printed on watercolor canvas with a brush stoke Instagram/sepia tone effect, black and white or as is.
• Design Public Steelcase & Coalesse Sale 10% off all Steelcase and Coalesse.
• Deck the Halls with Studio North Design Find the perfect gift for someone on your list and save 30% on all our Home Accessories, including our new Chalk Blocks.
• My Sweet Muffin Holiday Sale Free shipping on all orders over $25.
• Judy Ross Textiles Christmas Stocking Sale All Christmas stockings are 50% off the retail price.
• Nantucket Home Clearance Sale Exclusively online save 20% on select products.
• Design Public/JEB Jones Sale Save 20% on all JEB Jones items including benches, tables and spools. Great design by award winning artist and designer John Eric Byers.
• Artemide Tolomeo Holiday Sale Artemide is hosting a national holiday sale this December. All Tolomeo fixtures are 25% off, including classics such as Tolomeo Table, Tolomeo Floor and many more.
• Bazaar Bizarre Boston 2012 Bazaar Bizarre Boston is a one-day shopping event of fresh, innovative products made by independent artists, designers and craftspeople. Since its inception in 2001, the Bazaar Bizarre has become a premier event within the New England craft community. Held during the peak of holiday shopping, this event presents over 100 local artists displaying a broad range of lovingly-designed and hand-produced products.
Cyclorama | 539 Tremont Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
12/16: 12pm - 6pm
• Craft O Rama at Ugly Gallery A yearly pop-up shop bringing you the best in local hand-made gifts.
Ugly Gallery | 246 Union Street, New Bedford, Massachusetts 02740
• Winter Wanderlust Holiday Poster Show International Poster Gallery presents "Winter Wanderlust," its 19th annual holiday show. The exhibit focuses on vintage travel posters advertising destinations both foreign and domestic, but also includes a striking selection of other works by renowned poster artists such as Jean d'Ylen, Leonetto Capiello, Herbert Leupin, Roger Broders, and many more.
International Poster Gallery | 205 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• Our Cups Runneth Over Our Cups Runneth Over is a biannual exhibition and sale of contemporary ceramic cups featuring the work of 33 artists from around the country. The exhibition attracts the attention of regional and national collectors and has become an important educational destination for students to learn about the various formal, conceptual and technical approaches that ceramics allows. For the exhibition, Sanam Emami, Head of the Pottery Department at Colorado State University, Fort Collins has conceived a site-specific installation that further explores her interest in the patterns of Iranian and Islamic art and architecture.
Society of Arts & Crafts | 175 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• WPA Chicago/Poltrona Frau Anniversary Celebration WPA Chicago is hosting a series of events to celebrate Poltrona Frau 100th Anniversary. Each weekend they'll be hosting a particular designer or product line for the holiday shopper; including a special discount promotion for that particular weekend and designer's goods.
WPA Chicago | 314 West Superior, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Martyn George Holiday Party Martyn George, the curated vintage kitchenware shop, is hosting a holiday party with an English accent. British ex-pat proprietress Johanna Brannan Lowe, a food and prop stylist who opened the shop in June after years of collecting vintage culinary objects for photo shoots, invites guests to join in an evening of shopping and merrymaking, with food, drink, and special holiday deals. While browsing the shop's wares, guests will enjoy royal pies from Pleasant House Bakery and mulled wine, and will have the opportunity to pull traditional English Christmas crackers, each containing dollar-amount discount cards, good for purchases through January 31, 2013.
Martyn George | 1855 West Grand Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
12/15: 4pm - 8pm
• Holiday Trade Fair at Transistor Chicago Transistor presents their second annual Holiday Trade Fair, an in-store holiday market, with several of their contributing artists on hand selling their wares, including items not usually in stock.
Transistor | 3819 North Lincoln Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60613
12/15: 2pm - 8pm
12/16: 1pm - 6pm
• Chicago Art Girls Holiday Pop Up Shop The Chicago Art Girls Holiday Pop Up Shop presents over 35 artists who create one-of-a-kind, handmade, high-quality yet affordable holiday gift items for all ages and genders, including jewelry of all types, clothing and t-shirts for adults and kids, bags and purses, stationery and paper products, housewares, ceramics, glassware and enamelware, fiber work and felted knitwear, photography, soaps, paintings, eco-friendly wood accessories, reclaimed wood furniture and body care products.
Helium | 4710 North Ravenswood Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60640
12/14 - 12/15: 11am - 5pm
• Broadway Antique Market Holiday Sale Save 10-50% off storewide.
Broadway Antique Market | 6130 North Broadway, Chicago, Illinois 60660
• Urban Craft Lab Fall Workshops Urban Craft Lab is a workshop and party company offering relaxing, communal crafting for anyone who wants to make something beautiful and cool. SCHEDULE & LOCATIONS
Weekends through 12/16
• Manifold/Accessibles Show and Sale Manifold is pleased to present its upcoming group show and sale, Accessibles, centered around offering work by Chicago designers and artists that is exclusively accessible (everything for sale at $150 and less).
Manifold | 4426 North Ravenswood Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60640
• Golden Triangle Holiday Perks Shop online or in-store to receive free gift wrap service and free delivery within the Chicagoland area.
Golden Triangle | 330 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Hawkins/Hawkins: One Saw Everything, One Saw Nothing This exhibition brings together two masters of self-taught art who share a name and a talent for using simple materials to create compelling images: William Hawkins and Hawkins Bolden. The creations of these two artists, one possessing a keen sense of touch and the other a unique vision of the world around him, have a powerful impact when viewed side by side in this exhibition.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
• Chicago Center for The Print "The Mad Men of the Airline Poster & The Golden Age of Graphic Design 1950'- 1960's," an ongoing exhibition online and in the gallery.
Chicago Center for The Print | 1509 West Fullerton Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• Thom Filicia Book Signing Calypso St. Barth's Home Store welcomes interior designer Thom Filicia, author of American Beauty: Renovating and Decorating a Beloved Retreat. Come sip, snap, get your copy signed and enjoy $25 off of every $100 spent.
Calypso St. Barth | 225 26th Street, Santa Monica, California 90402
• Beergarden Pop-Up at The Service Station A family fun event for the holiday season. Buy your Christmas tree and check out vendors The Motley, The Munchie Machine, Hang Ten Tacos and more. Plus, there will be snow!
The Service Station | 3160 Riverside Drive, Los Angeles, California 90027
12/14: 4pm - 11pm
12/15: 10am - 11pm
12/16: 10am - 11pm
• Haute House Home Grand Opening Sale A little over a year ago, the owners Casey Fisher and Harry Marshall received some dreadful news while vacationing in Maui. Their pride and joy, Haute House Home, a high-end furniture manufacturer in Los Angeles, was up in flames. The fire completely destroyed the company's production facility and they lost everything except for a few computers and customer orders. Since the warehouse fire, the team has been working double duty to make Haute House Home bigger and better than ever before. In celebration of the Grand Opening of the new retail showroom, they're having a sale both on the website and in the showroom.
Haute House Home | 3501 San Fernando Road, Los Angeles, California 90065
• Duson Design Moving Sale Duson Design is closing their Silverlake store and just started their Moving Sale. Everything is marked down 30%.
Duson Design | 2522 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90026
• Walk On Tile 10th Anniversary Promotion Walk On Tile announces their 10th anniversary special promotion "We Love Our Neighbors @ WalkOn Tile" with 10% additional discount on In-stock tile.
Walk on Tile | 12353 Wilshire Boulevard, West Los Angeles, California 90025
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and international reputation for unrestrained creativity.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
• Brooklyn Visits Heath LA Heath is bringing the designs of Brooklyn to California for a show called Brooklyn Visits Heath. Co-curated by Heath Ceramics and Brooklyn stylist Pam Morris, this six-week show runs simultaneously in Heath's San Francisco and Los Angeles stores. Heath is highlighting exceptional craft products for the table and home by Brooklyn-based artisans and designers. A holiday-friendly show, this is the perfect opportunity to shop unique designs for holiday gifts.
Heath Ceramics | 7525 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
Opening Reception: 12/1: 5pm - 8pm
Show though 1/13
• David Weeks Studio Sample Sale Save on lighting samples, prototypes, special editions, including chandeliers, standing lamps, sconces, desk lamps and more.
David Weeks Studio | 68 Jay Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201
12/14 - 12/15: 12pm - 6pm
• Columbus Avenue Holiday Market In its 2nd year, the Columbus Avenue Holiday Market will again be held out of the historic, beautiful, and well known Church of St. Paul the Apostle. Check out the 60 plus vendors that will be featuring their unique handcrafted and vintage wares out of the spacious 9000 square foot auditorium. You're sure to find amazing holiday gifts such as art, jewelry, toys, chocolates, body care, handbags, clothing, stationery, scarves and hats, pottery, and more!
Church of St. Paul the Apostle | 405 West 59th Street, New York, New York 10023
12/15: 11am - 5:30pm
• byAMT Open House Holiday Sale You are invited to visit the byAMT New York studio for their very first friends and family open house sale, just in time for holiday shopping. They will be selling a selection of heavily discounted items, selection of never produced samples, a limited amount of the new Quilt Collection, discontinued items and more. Plus, enjoy 10% off all non-discounted items, including the popular Diamond Silver and Acrylic Rings.
byAMT Studio | 666 Broadway, Suite 410, New York, New York 10012
12/14 - 12/15
• Walking In A Winter Woodenland Holiday Event For the second year, the Fritz Hansen showroom is transformed into Santa's workshop; kids can make Christmas ornaments and try traditional Scandinavian goodies, while grown-ups sip mulled wine and browse contemporary furniture designs in the showroom.
Fritz Hansen | 22 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10013
12/15: 1pm - 4pm
• Ligne Roset Sample Sale Ligne Roset, the renowned French furniture and lifestyle brand, is offering a discount of up to 60% below retail price on floor samples, overstock and discontinued items at the brand's Midtown New York location. Discounted items include the Neo rocking chair, originally $3,315, now $1,445; Salam coffee tablem originally $1,985, now $995; Desa table lamp, originally $795, now $429 and many more.
Ligne Roset | 250 Park Avenue South, New York, New York 10003
12/14 - 12/16
• 20x200 "Gift With Art" Pop Up Shop 20x200, the online destination for limited edition, archival quality art prints, will be hosting "Gift With Art," an offline, art pop up shop at the Jen Bekman Gallery. The pop up will include many works from 20x200 including pieces by Jane Mount, Christian Chaize and Jessica Craig Martin. Also available will be the benefit editions, done in collaboration with TIME, to support Sandy relief efforts.
Jen Bekman Gallery | 6 Spring Street, New York, New York 10012
12/14 - 12/16: 11am - 7pm
• The Degenerate Craft Fair Created for artists, by artists, The Degenerate Craft Fair is not your average craft fair. The DCF transcends the line between art vs. craft and has created a place where not only can you get a wonderful knit scarf but a fine art painting as well. This year's fair will feature over 50 artists selling their work for generally under $50.
The DUMBO Loft | 155 Water Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201
12/15: 12pm - 9pm
12/16: 11am - 6pm
• Benetton: The Art of Knit - Silent Art Auction Closing Party United Colors of Benetton and Joann Pailey, ELLE Market Director, in partnership with Housing Works, invite you to celebrate the final night of The Art of Knit - a pop up experience. A portion of the evening's proceeds will benefit Housing Works. Purchase from the collection as well as the one-of-a-kind art installations created for the space by FABRICA. Find gifts that will delight even the most discerning loved one on your list.
United Colors of Benetton | 135 Crosby Street, New York, New York 10012
12/18: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
• The Shop at Cooper-Hewitt Pop Up Shop The Shop at Cooper-Hewitt is opening a special pop-up holiday shop. Located in the museum's townhouses, the shop will feature innovative design works that make perfect holiday gifts, as well as design-conscious holiday decor. Shop items will be marked down 10 percent, with additional savings on select products.
Townhouses at Cooper-Hewitt | 9 East 90th Street, New York, New York 10128
• Tufenkian Artisan Carpets Create Your Own Nook: One-of-a-Kind 2'x3' Carpet Sale
Tufenkian Artisan Carpets | 919 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• Brooklyn Night Bazaar Inspired by the night markets across Asia, Brooklyn Night Bazaar brings together more than 200 of the borough's most creative independent vendors, musicians, chefs, artists, breweries and wineries.
Brooklyn Night Bazaar | 45 North 5th Street, Brooklyn, New York 11211
Friday & Saturdays through 12/22
• Rico Clearance Event Great opportunities just in time for the holidays. Major markdowns on all showroom models: sofas, sleepers, media cabinets, hardwood dining tables and chairs, coffee and end tables, and occasional pieces. Large inventory of lighting, decorative pillows, large vases and art prints. Big variety of hand-knotted area rugs. Cherry pencil post single bed, upholstered single or day bed. Large collection of antique handcrafted industrial decorative patterns, and men's vintage/resale apparel and accessories.
Rico | 546 Third Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11215
• PEDINI's Display Kitchens For Sale PEDINI NY is making room for new displays. PEDINI NY has all new Italian Display Kitchens for Sale! Shop the PEDINI NY annual Display Kitchens Sale and save up to 70% on high-quality Italian designed, award-winning, contemporary kitchen cabinetry. Drop by our Tribeca showroom and let us show you around. Time is of the essence! If you stop in soon you can score a great deal on not only cabinetry, but also counter-tops, appliances and plumbing fixtures. Since we are making room for new collections, it is the most opportune time to buy one of our elite Contemporary Display Kitchens at half of the normal price.
PEDINI | 40 Lispenard Street, New York, New York 10013
• Kate's Diner at Rebecca Hossack Gallery UK artist Kate Jenkins will be exhibiting at Rebecca Hossack Gallery NYC. Throughout her exhibition, Kate's Diner, the gallery will be transformed into an American style diner. A crocheting genius and one of the UK's most original and innovative artists, Jenkins has crafted New York pizzas, burgers and fries, American doughnuts, pretzels and many iconic famous food and drink items usually associated with eateries in New York.
Rebecca Hossack Gallery | 262 Mott Street, New York, New York 10012
• Circa Dee: Holiday Hours Shop Circa Dee's holiday collection of vintage decor and gifts, refinished antique furniture and locally handmade wares. Find unique gifts for those on your list including upcycled license plate cuff bracelets for the trend setter, Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint for the DIYer, antique scales for the collector, paperwhite gardens for the hostess and vintage jewelry for you.
Circa Dee | 1814 Valley Forge Road, Collegeville, Pennsylvania 19426
• Mud, Sweat and Cheer Mudshark Studios has brought together the Portland art community with a month long holiday pop up shop
blending craft, clay and gallery work into one holiday shopping experience. Holiday shoppers can find Growlers from the Portland Growler Company, functional vessels of all kinds from well known clay artists like Victoria Christen, Chris Baskin, Kowkie Durst, Rabun Thompson, Jason Lee Starin, Puji Sheer, Barb Jenson, Brett Binford, Chris Pate, Joshua Kovarik, Zachary Wollert, Allie Bentley and many others, creating sculptural and decorative pieces, ornaments and more from local favorites and up and coming talent alike.
Mudshark Studios | 922 SW Yamhill Street, Portland, Oregon 97205
• This is My World by Lisa Congdon at Rare Device This is my World is a glimpse inside the brain of San Francisco artist and illustrator, Lisa Congdon. Congdon, long obsessed with the fusion of color, shape and pattern on unlikely surfaces, brings us a show of of small works, painted objects, zines and hand made books. Congdon has combined hand lettering, hand-drawn pattern, and her usual dose of bold color onto paper, vintage ephemera and wood to create an array of pieces that will dazzle even the most sullen observer.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, California 94117
Exhibit: Through 12/21
• Nantucket Home Holiday Sale Save up to 60% off all rugs and lamps during the huge holiday sale.
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway Street, Chico, California 95928
• Shana Astrachan Holiday Glamour Boutique Local designer and metalsmith, Shana Astrachan, presents A Holiday Glamour Boutique at Rare Device. Shana's love of vintage crafts and glamorous interiors have shaped the objects she created exclusively for this holiday seasons annual pop-up shop. She brings you unique collaborations and works of other designers along with her handcrafted line of jewelry, accessories, paper goods and beauty products. Come visit and experience Shana's crafty nod to eras gone by.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero St., San Francisco, California 94117
• Brooklyn Visits Heath SF Heath is bringing the designs of Brooklyn to California for a show called Brooklyn Visits Heath. Co-curated by Heath Ceramics and Brooklyn stylist Pam Morris, this six-week show runs simultaneously in Heath's San Francisco and Los Angeles stores. Heath is highlighting exceptional craft products for the table and home by Brooklyn-based artisans and designers. A holiday-friendly show, this is the perfect opportunity to shop unique designs for holiday gifts.
Heath Ceramics | 2900 18th Street, San Francisco, California 94110
Opening Reception: 11/30: 5pm - 8pm
Show though 1/13
• Ulysses Room Night Market Shop unique holiday gifts from local designers and boutiques while eating gourmet ice cream sandwiches.
Ulysses Room | 52 O Street NW, Washington DC 20001
12/15: 7pm - 11pm
• Ekster Antiques Holiday Barn Sale Enjoy holiday decor and end-of-year sale prices on a recently received European shipment.
Ekster Antiques & Uniques | 38532 Pheasant Hill Lane, Hamilton, Virginia 20158
12/14 - 12/16: 10am - 5pm
• Fenton Street Market Holiday Market Fenton Street Market is a local handmade, vintage and import crafts market in Downtown Silver Spring that runs weekly from April to October of each year. This year they are having their first ever holiday markets. There will be over 100 vendors selling everything from handmade clothing and jewelry, ceramics, wooden toys and books to vintage housewares, bath and body products, crafts and imports. You can easily knock off everyone on your list in one trip.
Veteran's Plaza | Fenton Street and Ellisworth Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910
12/22: 10am - 4pm
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
Send it to us. We publish every week:
(Images: Artemide Tolomeo Holiday Sale, EcoSmart Fire Outlet Sale, Martyn George Holiday Party, Nantucket Home Clearance Sale)