Congratulations to us all! We have once again survived the longest month of winter. From here it's smooth sailing to spring. To celebrate, let's all go out and enjoy the weekend. We've rounded up the week's best design-centric sales and events, both online and coast to coast, to help you get started. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and be sure to send us your own sale or event
for future editions of the Guide.
Shown, clockwise from top left: DwellStudio Winter Furniture Event, Son & Dotter Sale,
Woonwinkel February Furniture Sale, LA Art Book Fair
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Élan Furniture Surfboard Coffee Table Launch Sale Save over 20% on the launch of Élan's new Surfboard Coffee Table.
• Cloud Noir Reclaimed Wood Table Sale 20% off all floor model reclaimed wood dining tables.
• Son & Dotter Sale The son & dotter shop is running a winter sale with up to 30% off all items + free shipping on all orders.
• DwellStudio Winter Furniture Event Save 20% on all furniture.
Online and in store
• House Couturier Limited Luxury quilt and eco cushions sale - 20% reduction on hand made silk quilts and eco quilts.
• Fatboy (PRODUCT)RED at AllModern Save 38% on Fatboy (PRODUCT)RED beanbags and Waynecoolers and for every Fatboy (PRODUCT)RED purchase, 10% will go to help deliver an AIDS free generatoin by 2015.
• Que Sera Lighting Sale The Que Sera lighting sale offers twenty-five percent off all lighting in-stock and best of all, special order! Custom lighting is included in the discount, so design your own or choose from the selection of chic, vintage-inspired lighting.
Online and in store
• Serenity Stumps Sale Bring the outdoors in with the rustic Natural Tree Stump Side Table. All wood stumps come from a responsible managed Forest (FSC- Certified Forest) in Perth, Ontario, Canada.
• Woonwinkel February Furniture Sale Woonwinkel is offering 15% off all custom and in-stock furniture by Hay and SCP and 20% off select home accessories. Sale items include woonwinkel favorites: the customizable Oscar Sofa and Peggy Table by SCP. Home accessory items will also be on sale, including award-winning Dutch designers Scholten & Baijings' colour cushions and France's YPLFL Perrette Containers.
Online and in store
• Design Public Steelcase Sale 15% off semi-annual Steelcase sale.
• Greentea Design Winter Sale Savings up to 30% on all collections and 60% in the outlet section.
• Art V Cancer Valentines Promotion Offer Valentines Day is fast approaching and Art V Cancer is offering everyone who purchases a limited edition print a copy of the highly sought after 'Building bridges, not Empires' print free. There are several cool prints available to buy on Art V Cancer that would warm your loved ones heart on Valentines Day and not only that you would be donating money to Cancer Charities in the process, spreading the love.
• M & M Design Floor Sample/Warehouse Sale Many one-of-a-kind, discontinued, cancelled order pieces – contemporary handmade area rugs including Tibetan wool & silk. Including select items from our designer collections such as Missoni, Dakota Jackson, Adam Tihany and Niba. All from 50-75% off.
Online and in store (by appointment)
• Home Remedy Annual Winter Sale The annual Home Remedy Winter Sale event includes home accessories from Pantone, Virginia Johnson, Patch NYC and more, marked down from 30% to 75% off.
• 6th Annual Austin Modern Home Tour View dream worthy homes and meet lead architects, builders and designers on the 6th Annual Austin Modern Home Tour. From honest materials to an embrace of new technologies, you'll see modern design with Texas flair. Discover how Austinites are blurring the line between indoors and out with glass walls, breezeways, and an open-to-sky shower. See interesting uses of repurposed materials like polycarbonate windows and tree stump tables. Ask questions, garner ideas and use them in your own home! TICKETS
Modern Austin Home Tour | Various locations
2/2: 11am - 6pm
• Golden Triangle Lamp Gallery Let the light in for 2013. The showing will include singles, pairs, re-purposed items, Art Deco, Chinese, and more. They'll will even let you design your own lamp with a variety of lamp shades, finials, harps, and bases to choose from in our hands-on lamp workshop station.
Golden Triangle | 330 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60610
• Molly Briggs' "Walking, Looking, Making" Zg Gallery is pleased to present Molly Briggs' fourth exhibition "Walking, Looking, Making: New Paintings". Briggs uses landscape and the built environment as a means to consider the nature of reality and the ways that desire and expectation, shape our perception of the world.
Zg Gallery | 300 West Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• Nickey Kehoe/NK Shop Annual Sale NK Shop has announced their inaugural annual sale with substantial markdowns of items in the shop. They're taking 40% off the original price on dozens of items including a vintage Alvar Aalto dining set, a polished chrome Laurel floor lamp, French art from the 1800's, and industrial stools.
Nickey Kehoe/NK Shop | 7221 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• LA Art Book Fair Check out the first ever LA Art Book Fair hosted by Printed Matter, the world's largest non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of publications made by artists. They've put together a very special collection of photo books - new titles and vintage - about plants. Topics include: ikebana, herbcraft, backyard wildflowers, community gardens in Ohio and Robert Mapplethorpe's stunning flower photography, among many others.
The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA | 125 North Central Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90012
2/1: 11am - 5pm
2/2: 11am - 6pm
2/3: 12pm - 6pm
• Surfing Cowboys Moving Sale The Surfing Cowboys Moving Sale is on until they close our Abbot Kinney location. 20%-50% off their world famous mix of furniture and decorative items.
Surfing Cowboy | 1624 Abbot Kinney Boulevard, Venice, California 90291
• Craftcation Conference 2013 Craftcation is a four-day indie business and DIY conference featuring panel discussions and DIY workshops with leading industry professionals on art, craft and food-centered small business. Craftcation features more than 50 workshops, panels, lectures and events. Workshops are led by over 30 presenters including Kathy Cano-Murillo (Crafty Chica), Cathy Callahan (Cathy of California), Kayte Terry (Applique Your Way), Kari Chapin (Handmade Marketplace), Aida Mollenkamp (The Food Network), Diane Gilleland (CraftyPod), Kelly Lynn Jones (Little Paper Planes), Evan Kleiman (KCRW), Melanie Falick (Abrams Press/STC Craft), Amy Tan (American Crafts) and Lisa Tauber (Chronicle Books).
Registration and workshop schedule
Registration Deadline: 3/1
• 52nd Annual Original Miami Beach Antique Show The Original Miami Beach Antique Show promises to offer the latest trends and collections from more than 900 established exhibitors. The Miami Beach Convention Center will be transformed into a treasure-trove to hold the latest home decor, antique jewelry and estate pieces.
Miami Beach Convention Center | 1901 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, Florida 33139
• MoMA Design Store Children's Author Series A Sesame Street alum, Mo Willems will be leading a puppet-making workshop in conjunction with Don't Let the Pigeon Finish the Activity Book. Willems is a three-time Caldecott Honor winner and two-time Geisel Medal winner. Attendees will create their own Pigeon and Mad Cow puppets with instruction from Mo Williems.
MoMA Design Store | 81 Spring St, New York, New York 10012
2/2: 11am - 12pm
• Fritz Hansen Sample Sale Republic of Fritz Hansen, premium Danish furniture brand, is pleased to announce its first ever sample sale where they will be offering reduced pricing on select samples and overstock items. Sample sale will include pieces such as the Egg Chair, Series 7 Chair & Swan Chair.
Fritz Hansen | 22 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10013
2/1: 9am - 6pm
2/2: 11am - 6pm
• Canstruction 20th Annual NYC Competition Originally slated to open two days after Sandy hit New York City, the 20th anniversary of Canstruction was delayed due to lack of power and transportation in Lower Manhattan. Determined to help hungry New Yorkers, especially those still impacted by Sandy, 25 architecture, engineering, and design firms re-enlisted in the competition where they will transform more than 100,000 unopened cans of food into larger-than-life pop art masterpieces. The 25 firms have spent months planning their entries and are allowed only one adrenaline-filled night (January 31st) to meticulously stack and color-coordinate their cans into ingenious feats of engineering. The massive structures will then be on view to the public until they are dismantled and donated to City Harvest to help feed hungry New Yorkers and people still recovering from Sandy.
Brookfield Place World Financial Center Complex | 220 Vesey Street, New York, New York 10080
2/1 - 2/11
• Plexi-Craft Sale Plexi-Craft is cleaning house from 2012. They are selling overstocked, discontinued, and slightly imperfect acrylic furniture at deeply discounted prices. All items are on display at their showroom in Long Island City and are available for immediate pick-up or delivery.
Plexi-Craft | 30-02 48th Avenue, Long Island City, New York 11101
• Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers features a full-scale, 325-square-foot micro-unit with architecture by Amie Gross Architects. Organized in conjunction with Citizens Housing & Planning Council (CHPC), Making Room explores how New York City's changing social, economic, and cultural demographics--especially the rise of single adults--are dramatically changing urban households, and how architecture can help re-shape the city's housing stock for New Yorkers at all phases of their lives.
Museum of the City of New York | 1220 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10029
• Paper: A Deckled Edge The Paper Artwork of Lesley Haas Lesley Haas, a native of Philadelphia, made her home in Heidelberg, Germany from 1988 until 1996 and again from 1999 to 2000. There she opened her first paper studio. She developed an interest in handmade paper after viewing a comprehensive New York exhibition in which the artworks were made with paper. Paper dresses, scrolls and recycled paper art can be found among her artworks. As an extension of her papermaking Haas has created numerous objects from vegetable papyrus.
Kamin Gallery, Van Pelt-Dietrich Library | 3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
• South Street Linen January Colorful White Sale All long and short hand block printed 100% linen table runners and napkins are discounted.
South Street Linen | 5 South Street, Portland, Maine 04021
• design:local at Fireclay Tile Fireclay Tile, one of the Bay Area's leading sustainable tile manufacturers, has officially opened the doors to its new designer showroom, located in the San Francisco's style-centric design district. In conjunction with the showroom opening and the San Francisco Design 2013 annual event, the showroom is starting off each morning of the three-day event with design:local - a company presentation by each founder, along with fresh new product introductions and announcements. With complementary eats from b.street waffles and a full coffee bar provided, stop by for some creative, eco-design inspiration.
Show Place East | 111 Rhode Island Street, Suite F, San Francisco, California 94103
2/6 - 2/8: 9am - 10am
• Design San Francisco The San Francisco Design Center invites you to Design San Francisco 2013, the premier annual event for design professionals, including SFDC's biennial Designers of Distinction Awards Luncheon that recognizes the best interior designers and/or design firms in six categories. In addition, the SFDC showrooms will host seminars and open houses - each conceived and developed to support your own creative potential and improve your marketing acumen.
Design Center San Francisco | Two Henry Adams Street, San Francisco, California 94103
Designers of Distinction Awards: 2/7: 12pm - 2pm
Design San Francisco 2013: 2/6 - 2/8
• Valerianne's 5th Annual White Sale Up to 75% off all in-stock linens and 20% off special orders. All down sleeping pillows, duvet inserts and wool mattress pads are 20% off as well as special pricing on sheeting, duvet and coverlet orders.
Valerianne | 211 Mill Street NE, Vienna, Virginia 22180
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
(Images: DwellStudio, Son & Dotter, Woonwinkel, LA Art Book Fair )