Check out our list of deals at national retailers, local floor sample and warehouse sales, not-to-be-missed museum exhibitions, showhouses and home & design-centric lectures and discussions. Our weekly list of carefully-curated sales and events can help you no matter where you live. Pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• FinnStyle iittala Clearance Sale Up to 60% off over 200 iittala designs including glassware, dinnerware, vases, candleholders, Toikka Birds, and kitchen utensils.
• French Bull Sale Celebrate the new year with big savings on French Bull favorites. Up to 50% off.
• M&M Design Warehouse Sale You will find a selection of one of a kind rugs that have been drastically reduced in price and which are either floor samples or discontinued items or client cancelations. Many of the rugs we have put on sale are the first editions that were made for top designers rug collections.
• Charlywoods CHD Awareness Sale February is Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Month and so Charlywoods is donating 30% of its profits on any orders taken in Febuary to a CHD Charity, to help the cause.
2/1 - 2/28
• Decorators Best Robert Allen Clearance Save 70% or more on over 100 first quality Robert Allen and Beacon Hill designer fabrics from the premier discount designer fabric and wallpaper e-tailer.
• Run to GG Sale 20-50% off housewares and fashion from iittala, Claus Porto, and more at Gilda Grace Collections.
Gilda Grace Collections | 1818 West 35th Street, Austin, Texas 78703
1/25 - 2/5
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Nemos Steampunk Art and Invention Gallery Opening Night Steampuffin and 5 Wits-Patriot Place have come to together to show you what kind of technology and art could have been on the Nautilus if Nemo was piloting his famous submarine today. Come join us as we showcase Steampunk artists, vendors, and live entertainment alongside 5 Wits new 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea interactive walk-through attraction.
Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Interactive Entertainment Experience | 2 Patriot Place, Foxborough, Massachusetts 02035
2/12: 6pm - 11pm
• Fort Pitt Furniture Tax Season Sale Liquidated furnishings from 4 and 5-star hotels — luxurious living for pennies on the dollar. Great bargains including 8-piece bedroom set from Embassy Suites for only $99; Hyatt leather club chair for only $49; stainless steel oval end table with frosted glass, on wheels from Hyatt Regency only $15.
Fort Pitt Hotel Furniture Liquidators | 4920 South Central Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60638
• Neighborhoods Go Green! Scaling Up Sustainability Designed to bring attention to the need for sustainable neighborhoods, the exhibition includes suggestions to select a "smart" site as well as creating livable neighborhoods, all while reducing energy consumption. Examples of sustainable neighborhoods in the United States and Canada describe neighborhoods that have good public transportation, affordable housing, and places where people can walk and bike without having to drive a car.
Chicago Architecture Foundation | 224 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60604
Through 2/15: 9:30am - 5pm daily
• Sawbridge Studios' Consolidation/Floor Sample Sale As part of Sawbridge Studios' scheduled plans to close its Chicago store and consolidate with its Winnetka location, a deep-discount Floor Sample/Consolidation Sale has kicked-off. With savings of 40%, 50%, and up to 60%, this special sale offers a rare opportunity to own Sawbridge's signature level of superior, handcrafted furniture and accessories, featuring select grain woods and premium materials, all expertly crafted by some of the top artisans in America.
Sawbridge Studios | 153 West Ohio Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Lightology Sale Up to 50% off bathroom wall sconces, bath bars, ceiling lights, pendants and chandeliers!
Lightology | 215 West Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Courtney's Big Sale Great time to shop for unusual antique and vintage furnishings. All the good stuff at discount prices.
Courtney's Antiques | 1437 Lincoln Boulevard, Santa Monica, California 90401
2/7 - 2/21: 11am - 6pm
• HGTV Casting Call What is your dream room décor? HGTV is looking for couples or singles in their 30s and early 40s living in the NYC area (no Manhattan) who'd like a room in their home redone – for free! Possible candidates must live either in outer boroughs of NYC (Queens, Brooklyn etc.) or within a one hour's drive of NYC (e.g. Long Island or New Jersey).
• D. Porthault's White Sale The luxury linen company will offer discounts from 40%-80% (and some higher than that!). They will also be having price point baskets with various categories (ie: $30 and under, $50, $100, etc.) so there will be some very aggressive markdowns. Any pattern that is being marked down for the first time is marked at either 40 or 50% off; various other items have higher discount up to 85%
D. Porthault | 470 Park Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• Patrick Jouin: From Kitchen to Table @ MAD The first solo exhibition at an American museum of the work of this prolific 42-year-old French designer.
Museum of Arts & Design | 2 Columbus Circle, New York, New York 10019
• Eat Drink Art Design @ MAD The artists and designers in this exhibition have created objects for the table — cups and plates, tea sets and silverware — that redefine the art of dining. Drawing from MAD's collection, the exhibition features 60 objects for eating and drinking.
Museum of Arts & Design | 2 Columbus Circle, New York, New York 10019
9/21 - 2/13
• Team 7 Sale at Karkula All items from the Team 7 solid wood furniture collection are 20% off – including dining tables, beds and storage units.
Karkula | 48-50 Walker Street, New York, New York 10013
• MoMa Art & Design Book Sale Take advantage of a rare opportunity to save at least 50% on more than 1,200 art and design book titles at the MoMA Design and Book Store. The sale includes selections from all categories, including painting, sculpture, photography, architecture, design, and fashion. Many of the titles are out of print and/or hard to find.
MoMa Design and Book Store | 11 West 53rd Street, New York, New York 10103
MoMA Design Store | 81 Spring Street, New York, New York 10012
• Metropolitan Window Fashions "Labor Sale" Metropolitan Window Fashions stores in Manhattan are offering a 20% discount on all custom-made draperies, bedding and furniture upholstery.
Metropolitan Window Fashions | 469 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10024
1/3 - 2/21
• Underground Gallery: London Transport Posters, 1920's-1940's
MoMA | 11 West 53 Street, New York, New York 10019
• Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen Counter Space explores the twentieth-century transformation of the kitchen and highlights MoMA's recent acquisition of an unusually complete example of the iconic "Frankfurt Kitchen," designed in 1926–27 by the architect Grete Schütte-Lihotzky.
MoMA | 11 West 53rd Street, New York, New York 10019
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• TrueModern Warehouse Sale TrueModern is offering a sample sale for Bay Area residents. Make an appointment to stop by the warehouse, meet designer Edgar Blazona and take home discounted sample pieces. There are several Luna sofas in various colors for as low as $999 ($500 off retail!), birch changing table dressers for $400 ($300 off) and discounted nightstands.
TrueModern | 3040 Chapman Street, Oakland, California 94601
• Seattle Gift Show The place to see new products and proven bestsellers that cater to the eclectic tastes of the discerning Pacific Northwest consumer. See all the new products coming to market and see what's current from old favorites.
Washington State Convention Center | 800 Convention Place, Seattle, Washington 98101
2/4: 9am - 8pm
2/5: 9am - 6pm
2/6: 9am - 6pm
2/7: 9am - 6pm
2/8: 9am - 4pm
• Philbrook Museum of Art's American Streamlined Design Exhibition Philbrook Museum of Art will open American Streamlined Design: The World of Tomorrow, focusing on a design era that emerged during the 1930s and 1940s, characterized by curving forms, and smooth, clean silhouettes. Over 185 objects in diverse new materials, from Bakelite to stainless steel, are organized thematically around the spheres of American life in the 1930s-50s: the office and workroom, the living room, kitchen, and bath, recreation and transportation. A final section, Streamlining Now, looks at how streamlining still affects design today.
Philbrook Musuem of Art | 2727 South Rockford Road, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74114
2/6 - 5/15
• Alexandria Boutique Warehouse Sale Deep discounts from Alexandria's finest boutiques. Find items from your favorite boutiques at up to 80% off! Shop The Shoe Hive, Hysteria, Treat, Red Barn Mercantile, Periwinkle, Fornash, Diva, La Cuisine, Apple Seed — all under one roof at the George Washington Masonic Memorial.
George Washington Masonic Memorial | 101 Callahan Drive, Alexandria, Virginia 22301
2/5: 9am - 4pm
• Valerianne's 3rd Annual White Sale Savings up to 65% off all luxury linens for the bed, bath and table top. Plus, any special orders will be 20% off.
Valerianne | 111 Church Street NW, Vienna, Virginia 22180
• Washington Color and Light @ Corcoran Showcasing significant works by artists associated with the Washington Color School of the 1950s-1970s and their contemporaries. Drawn exclusively from the Corcoran's collection, the works showcase the museum's extensive collection of Color School paintings and sculpture including galleries devoted to monumental paintings by Gene Davis and Thomas Downing.
Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design | 500 Seventeenth Street NW, Washington DC 20006
• Orchids: A View From the East Orchids have been a part of Chinese culture for many centuries, permeating Chinese history, legends, literature and art. Since ancient times, orchids have been celebrated in China for their beauty and fragrance, and appreciated as symbols of nobility, friendship and refinement. The exhibition reflects
these themes and introduces visitors to long-standing traditions and contemporary trends in Chinese orchid culture.
Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History | 10th Street and Constitution Avenue, Washington, DC 20560
1/29 - 4/4
• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world's fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum's upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
Send it to us. We publish every week: