Now that we're almost two weeks into the new year (and away from the holiday frenzy), it's time to start getting out there and enjoying ourselves again. From the Gowanus Nite Market in New York to the Handmade Market in Chicago, we've got a list of sales and events to keep you occupied this weekend. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and be sure to send us your own sale or event for future editions of the Weekend Guide.
Shown, clockwise from top left: Molly Briggs' "Walking, Looking, Making" at Zg Gallery, AllModern Exclusive Designer Rug Sale, West Elm Bedding + Bath Sale, Furniturea January "Ice House" Sale
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Unison Winter White Weekend Sale Save 25% off white bedding and accessories.
• Vermont Woods Studios Winter Shaker Sale Save big on our 100% American made Shaker style furniture! 10% off one piece, 15% off two, 20% off three or more pieces of wood furniture. Free shipping & lifetime guarantee.
• Jayson Home Floor Model & More Sale Up to 70% off all floor models and brand new back stock furniture (as available), plus up to 70% off select holiday items, accessories, lighting, rugs, and vintage and antique furniture and accessories.
• AllModern Exclusive Designer Rug Sale Up to 30% off designer rugs by Gandia Blasco, Nanimarquina, nuLOOM, Linie Design and more.
• West Elm Bedding + Bath Sale 20% off select bedding and bath supplies.
Online & in stores
• The Blue Monkey: "Bisous" Down-Filled Baby Sleepsacks Promo Purchase a "Bisous" Baby Sleepsack, filled with Certified Canadian Duck Down, from the 2013 Winter Collection and receive a FREE Blue Monkey Snuggly Undershirt.
• Nantucket Home Green Tag Sale Save up to 60% off select clearance items. Plus, all holiday items now 50% off.
Online and in store
• Keep On Giving at Gus* Modern 15% off all Gus* Modern (includes upholstery, beds, dining, storage, accents, lighting and accessories) for consumers who bring 3 non-perishable food items to a Gus* retailer for donation to a local food bank.
All Gus* Retailers
• Au Lit Fine Linens White Sale Save up to 50% off online and in store on bed linens, duvets, pillows, and more. Free shipping on online orders over $250 (U.S. and Canada only).
• BoConcept Nationwide January Design Sale BoConcept's nationwide January Design Sale kicked off earlier this week. In addition to discounts on select accessories up to 40% off, BoConcept is introducing a new sofa -- the LAGONI -- available during the sale period only.
All BoConcept Stores
• Greentea Design Winter Sale Savings up to 30% on all collections and 60% in the outlet section.
• House Couturier Limited Luxury quilt and eco cushions sale - 20% reduction on hand made silk quilts and eco quilts.
• Our Cups Runneth Over Our Cups Runneth Over is a biannual exhibition and sale of contemporary ceramic cups featuring the work of 33 artists from around the country. The exhibition attracts the attention of regional and national collectors and has become an important educational destination for students to learn about the various formal, conceptual and technical approaches that ceramics allows. For the exhibition, Sanam Emami, Head of the Pottery Department at Colorado State University, Fort Collins has conceived a site-specific installation that further explores her interest in the patterns of Iranian and Islamic art and architecture.
Society of Arts & Crafts | 175 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• Handmade Market 30+ amazing sellers with jewelry, purses, knitted items, clothing, paper crafts, and more.
The Empty Bottle | 1035 Norht Western Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60622
1/12: 12pm - 4pm
• Chicago Center for The Print "The Mad Men of the Airline Poster & The Golden Age of Graphic Design 1950'- 1960's," an ongoing exhibition online and in the gallery.
Chicago Center for The Print | 1509 West Fullerton Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614
• Molly Briggs' "Walking, Looking, Making" Zg Gallery is pleased to present Molly Briggs' fourth exhibition "Walking, Looking, Making: New Paintings". Briggs uses landscape and the built environment as a means to consider the nature of reality and the ways that desire and expectation, shape our perception of the world.
Zg Gallery | 300 West Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
Artist Reception: 1/11: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Exhibit: Through 2/23
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• Brooklyn Visits Heath LA Heath is bringing the designs of Brooklyn to California for a show called Brooklyn Visits Heath. Co-curated by Heath Ceramics and Brooklyn stylist Pam Morris, this six-week show runs simultaneously in Heath's San Francisco and Los Angeles stores. Heath is highlighting exceptional craft products for the table and home by Brooklyn-based artisans and designers. A holiday-friendly show, this is the perfect opportunity to shop unique designs for holiday gifts.
Heath Ceramics | 7525 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
Opening Reception: 12/1: 5pm - 8pm
Show though 1/13
• Gowanus Nite Market Raw, fun, dark, industrial and delicious are just a few words that inspired the creative vision of the Gowanus Nite Market. What you can expect: Rotating film industry props changing the look of the venue each month, super cool vendors, creatively designed vendor stations utilizing furnishings from the prop shop, an occasional throw back video game battle (Atari anyone?), a wicked dj spinning and a long list of monthly happenings, GNM aims to be the first night market of its kind, guaranteed to offer both amazing, locally produced goods and an awesome sensory experience.
Film Biz Recycling | 540 President Street, Brooklyn, New York 11215
1/12: 7pm - 12am
• Robert Martin Designs January Showroom Sample Sale Furniture designer and craftsman, Robert Martin, is offering exclusive, handmade
furniture and sample pieces from their showroom at up to 50% off retail.
Brooklyn Navy Yard | 63 Flushing Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11205
• ABC Carpet & Home Winter Sale Everything in the store will be on sale, including furniture, rugs, lighting, decorative pillows and accessories reduced up to 60% off. The sale will include select product from Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Tom Dixon, Matteo, BluDot, Dwell, Cobble Hill, Barbara Barry and more, as well as an amazing selection of rugs, sectionals and sofas.
ABC Carpet & Home | 888 Broadway, New York, New York 10003
• Paper: A Deckled Edge The Paper Artwork of Lesley Haas Lesley Haas, a native of Philadelphia, made her home in Heidelberg, Germany from 1988 until 1996 and again from 1999 to 2000. There she opened her first paper studio. She developed an interest in handmade paper after viewing a comprehensive New York exhibition in which the artworks were made with paper. Paper dresses, scrolls and recycled paper art can be found among her artworks. As an extension of her papermaking Haas has created numerous objects from vegetable papyrus.
Kamin Gallery, Van Pelt-Dietrich Library | 3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
• Furniturea January "Ice House" Sale It's a tent sale in the winter. Gus* Modern upholstery is 15% off, plus selected showroom and warehouse items are 25%-40% off.
Furniturea | 75 Market Street, Portland, Maine 04101
• Brooklyn Visits Heath SF Heath is bringing the designs of Brooklyn to California for a show called Brooklyn Visits Heath. Co-curated by Heath Ceramics and Brooklyn stylist Pam Morris, this six-week show runs simultaneously in Heath's San Francisco and Los Angeles stores. Heath is highlighting exceptional craft products for the table and home by Brooklyn-based artisans and designers. A holiday-friendly show, this is the perfect opportunity to shop unique designs for holiday gifts.
Heath Ceramics | 2900 18th Street, San Francisco, California 94110
Opening Reception: 11/30: 5pm - 8pm
Show though 1/13
• Story Time & Craft Workshop Shop at Willow Fashion while your child enjoys a Story & Craft Workshop for elementary aged kids featuring Jan Brett's The Mitten. A certified art teacher will read The Mitten to your child and then teach an art/craft lesson that corresponds with the story with the theme of winter. Your child will enjoy interacting with other children their age and create a keepsake for you to cherish.
Willow Fashion | 843 Upshur Street NW, Washington, DC 20011
1/12: 10am - 11am
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
(Images: Molly Briggs' "Walking, Looking, Making" at Zg Gallery, AllModern Exclusive Designer Rug Sale, West Elm Bedding + Bath Sale, Furniturea January "Ice House" Sale