We've been providing a lot of inspiration lately but you probably shouldn't spend every summer weekend on DIY projects and home repairs. So we've compiled this list of local and national events to get you out into the summer air! From the Rejuvenation Eat Real Festival in Los Angeles to the MacKenzie-Childs Barn Sale in New York, there's plenty to see and do from coast to coast. And, hey, we know how hard it is to leave the computer so there are a number of online sales, too. Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Graham & Brown Summer Sale 25% off all regularly priced products.
7/16 - 7/18
• YLiving's Kartell Sale Save 15% on all Kartell furnishings, lighting and accessories at YLiving. Also enjoy free shipping and no sales tax.
7/11 - 7/17
• Seltzer Studios Grillin' & Chillin' Event Featuring backyard accessories like oven mitts and wine totes from Built, aprons, ice buckets, melamine salad bowls and serving utensils from French Bull. Plus save 15 % on the new Item of the Week.
7/18 - 7/25
• Alessi "Complete Your Collection" Sale The renowned kitchen and housewares company is offering a promotional event they're calling the "Complete Your Collection" Sale. A 20% discount will apply to all items in the Michael Graves collection, the Cactus! collection, designed by Marta Sansoni, the Mediterraneo collection, designed by Emma Silvestris, and the Luis Clotet collection.
Online and in stores
• Eron Johnson Antiques Summer Storage Sale Save 20-35% off all storage case furniture. Save on all: trunks and blanket chests, chest of drawers, corner cupboards, linen and stepback cupboards, secretaire desks, sideboards and buffets, cabinets, and armoires. Organization never looked so stylish!
• Lightology's FDV Sale 30% off all FDV brands, including Murano Due, Aureliano Toso, Gallery and Alt Lucialternative.
• The Shade Store's Wood Blinds Sale All wood blinds at The Shade Store are discounted by 10%. The exclusive collections of wood blinds suit both modern and traditional decor. All orders ship free in 3 days.
• The CubeMarketplace.com Summer Clearance Sale Save up to 60% off top handcrafted brands for kitchen, home, and garden, including Bookhou, Caroline Swift, Girlscantell, Latini Pastas, Moretti Polentas, Nudo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Perch!, Plover Organic Textiles, Reynoldsware by Daniel Reynolds, Robert Lambert Fruit Syrups, and Whitney Smith!
• Garnet Hill Summer Sale Save 20-60% on home and fashion items during the Summer Sale and Clearance Event. Save 20-30% on all bedding basics, including Garnet Hill's bestselling comforters, pillows and mattress pads and Eileen Fisher Bedding Essentials.
• Gus* Modern Summer Upholstery Sale Gus* Modern is offering 20% off sofas, sectionals, chairs and ottomans at participating retailers across North America during the Summer Upholstery Sale.
• Mortise & Tenon Summer Sale Save up to 35% off urban rustic and casual modern home furnishings online. Mortise & Tenon also specializes in reclaimed dining tables — with custom sizes available.
• Messy Room Makeover Contest Has entering your kid's cave suddenly turned into an Olympic event? Navigating the slopes of smelly socks that have piled up on the floor, leaping over the mountains of books and toys and dashing towards the exit as the stench of forgotten food overwhelms the senses. If so, g.u.s. wants to see it! Submit photos for a chance to win a $400 makeover of your kid's room.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Circle Furniture's Summer Sale Save on select floor models and discontinued styles.
• Lekker Home Summer Warehouse Sale Enjoy discounts up to 75% off in-store.
Lekker Home | 1317 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
• Decorator Dave's Tag Sale Decorator Dave and building friends are holding a one-day pop up shop. Shop eclectic selection including vintage and mid-century furniture and accessories, professionally framed art, vintage porcelain glove mold, urban antiques, glassware, china, artisan pottery, other kitchen goods.
Decorator Dave's | 921 West Cornelia Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60657
7/16: 10am - 4pm
• Discount Classes at The Needle Shop All classes at The Needle Shop's DIY Sewing School and Fabric Shop are discounted by 20%. CLASS SCHEDULE
The Needle Shop | 2054 West Charleston Street, Chicago, Illinois 60647
• Granville Summer Market Days The empty storefronts on the corner of Granville and Broadway are getting a little boost with this weekends only pop up market. Vendors are setting up shop, offering everything from antiques to baked goods, very Saturday and Sunday.
Granville Summer Market Days | Broadway and Granville, Chicago, Illinois 60660
Through 7/31: 10am - 3pm
• Jayson Home & Garden Floor Model & More Sale Up to 50% off huge selection of new and vintage furniture and accessories, including sofas, chairs, tables, lighting, rugs, pillows and more.
Jayson Home & Garden | 1885 North Clybourn Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614
• 45 Three Modern Vintage Home Sale Over 60% savings on mid century treasures, including lamps, pairs of chairs, paintings, art work, side tables, sofas, desks, ottomans and lots of other goodies.
45 Three Modern Vintage | 1051 1/2 South Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90019
7/16: 9am - 5pm
• Rejuvenation/Eat Real Festival Rejuvenation is opening in LA in September, but this weekend they'll be hosting the Eat Real Festival in the store space. The Eat Real Festival celebrates all things tasty, fresh, and handmade with a focus on street food, local wines, handcrafted beers, and traditional food craft – all featuring sustainable, local ingredients. And no dish or drink costs more than $5. But eating is only part of the fun. They'll also show you how to make it and grow it. From home cheesemaking to backyard chickens, you can explore a DIY lifestyle with demos and activities galore.
Rejuvenation | 8780 Venice Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90034
7/16: 10:30 - 9
7/17: 10:30 - 5
• COME IN! 2: Surf.Skate.Bike. A+D Museum presents the 2011 installation of COME IN! The hottest of Los Angeles' young design talent take over the museum's galleries, offices, storage closets and bathrooms. COME IN! fuses this year with the L.A. themes of Surf, Skate and Bike. A pop-up shop will sell limited edition works created by the exhibit's designers.
Architecture and Design Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Cloud Noir Dining Table Sale Take 20% off all floor model dining tables.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Artspace Warehouse/CITY and SOCIETY Show Artist reception for new show CITY and SOCIETY, featuring European and US artists. Museum quality affordable art by Edith Konrad, Barbara Kolo, Brad Reyes, Clara Berta, Marco Pittori, Ashleigh Sumner. New works by LA artists Lucinda Luvaas, Hilary Bond, Ashleigh Sumner, Judy Zimbert, Courtney Raney plus new artworks from our European artists.
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Steuben Glass Sale Iconic American crystal company Steuben Glass announces an extremely rare sale at their Madison Avenue flagship boutique. An extensive selection of their superb tabletop collections, barware and decorative accessories will go on sale, for a limited time, for up to 30% off. Sale items include some of Steuben's classic glass pieces, like the "Bamboo Bud Vase", the "Heavy Cut Old Fashioned Glasses" and the "Petal Cut Ice Bucket." In addition, many of their iconic animal designs, such the "Bluebird" and the "Curious Cat" will be among the sale items.
Steuben Glass | 667 Madison Avenue, New York, New York 10065
• MacKenzie-Childs Barn Sale The annual MacKenzie-Childs Barn Sale will take place on the company's charming 65-acre farm in Aurora, New York. The highly anticipated three-day event is expected to draw thousands of visitors. Last year, the event attracted over 11,000 people. Guests will be able to enjoy music by The Blacklites and bites from Dinosaur BBQ while touring the MacKenzie-Childs studio and gardens and browsing the vast selection of ceramics, glassware, furniture, lighting and other items up to 80% off.
MacKenzie-Childs | 3260 State Route 90, Aurora, New York 13026
7/15 - 7/17: 8am - 6pm
• The Future Perfect's Summer Tabletop Shop at Cynthia Rowley Cynthia Rowley Montauk is excited to host stylish summer tabletop and homewares from Brooklyn's inimitable design store The Future Perfect. The "Shack in the Back" will be stocked with a collection of unique and charming tabletop products to suit every entertaining need.
Cynthia Rowley | 696 Montauk Highway, Montauk, New York 11954
• (Not A) Lemonade Stand Join (Not A) Gallery this weekend for (Not A) Lemonade Stand, a performance installation by Justin Belmont. Stop by to meet the artist and enjoy free lemon/vodka cocktails at our Summer 2011 pop-Up art space.
(Not A) Gallery | 91 Main Street, Southampton, New York 11968
Through 7/24: 2pm - 6pm
• Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World) This first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman features a selection spanning thirty years of 100 original paintings, drawings, and sketches shown along with the many ways Kalman's work has entered contemporary culture - in books and magazines, and on commercial products, from clothing to watches. Less widely seen works in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance are also included. Kalman illuminates contemporary life with a profound sense of joy and unique sense of humor. As a context for this survey, Kalman has created a special installation to reveal some source material she has gathered as collector, walker, traveler, reader and maker of lists. Furnished with chairs, ladders and "many tables of many things," this installation offers a view of how she sees the world, both in and outside the studio.
The Jewish Museum | 1109 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10128
• Sentimento Antiques Summer Sale After 30 great years, Sentimento Antiques, one of New York City's preeminent antiques showrooms, is closing its doors. Sentimento's founder and owner, Toby Landey, found fabulous art, furniture, lighting and home accessories in the most unexpected places. The showroom reflected her unparalleled style and eye for the extraordinary, and was a favorite resource for interior designers and architects. Sentimento is now offering one-of-a-kind vintage and antique furniture, art, lighting and home accessories at a discount: 20% off begins now; 30% off begins July 25; 40% off begins August 1; and 50% off begins August 8.
Sentimento Antiques | 306 East 61st Street, New York, New York 10021
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
• New Paintings by Ex-Weezer Bassist Mikey Welsh The Slingluff Gallery presents new paintings by Ex-Weezer Bassist, Mikey Welsh. Self-taught and influenced by playing in bands his entire adult life, Mikey Welsh started painting with his hands, which unconsciously lead to getting that aggressive and immediate feeling he had while playing. For him, this is a necessity. Welsh's new work perfectly combines his figurative work with his abstract into paintings that pop off of the canvas.
The Slingluff Gallery | 11 West Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
7/2 - 7/30
• Rejuvenation Attic Sale Save up to 75% on clearance and first quality seconds, including lighting, hardware and furniture. Sale is only at our Portland store location.
Rejuvenation | 1100 SE Grand Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97214
7/15 - 7/17
• Woonwinkel Grand Opening In celebration of Woonwinkel's grand opening, enjoy a 15% discount on your first purchase.
Woonwinkel | 935 SW Washington Street, Portland, Oregon 97205
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Gump's EQ Show The beauty of horses is undeniable. They are an amazing creature, a gift that has graced our world for thousands of years. They have inspired chariots, sewn fertile soils, served on ceremony, raced to every finish line and carried early San Franciscans through treacherous terrain safely to the shores of the Pacific. We celebrate the seductive and powerful character of horses through the many mediums that are available to our artisans. Fine oils, wood, bronze, glass, leather and clay all shape our desire to capture the essence of this most beautiful creature. Join us and explore an installation of equestrian delight.
Gump's | 135 Post Street, San Francisco, California 94108
• Home Design 101: Getting Started | AIA Seattle Dreaming about a project and not sure where to start? Trying to figure out how to make the most of your budget? Curious about green design or how to plan for your family's changing needs? AIA Seattle, a Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, is presenting an evening class on how to get started on the right foot with your home project.
All info here | SieMatic Studio, 2030 First Ave, Tuesday, July 19th, 6:30 - 8pm, $10 per person, $15 per couple
• Free Summer Saturdays at the Corcoran Join the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design for FREE Summer Saturdays – back by popular demand! This summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend, enjoy free admission to the Gallery, including special exhibitions Chris Martin: Painting Big and Washington Color and Light. Enjoy special programs, Gallery tours, workshops, demonstrations, and performances for all ages.
Corcoran Gallery of Art | 500 17th Street NW, Washington DC 20006
Send it to us. We publish every week: