A blanket of intense heat has been thrown over most of the country, but that's no excuse to barricade yourself inside all weekend. Let us tempt you with this weekend's guide, packed full of sales and events to keep you hopping and shopping. From Philadelphia's Freeman's Auction House's upcoming estate sales in the East, to Chicago's Prairieland Warehouse Antiques Summer Clearance Sale in the Midwest, and LA's Good Shepherd Center Show House out West, we've got you covered from coast to coast (and online, too). Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Room & Board's Summer Clearance Enjoy up to 40% off pillows, wall art, bedding, lighting and more. Quantities are limited and go fast.
Online and in stores
• Blik Wall Graphics Weekend Flash Sale Take 20% off all wall decals at Blik. Plus, get an extra 5% off when you enter Blik's Summer Madness Sweepstakes.
7/22 - 7/24
• Seltzer Studios Grillin' & Chillin' Event Featuring backyard accessories like oven mitts and wine totes from Built, aprons, ice buckets, melamine salad bowls and serving utensils from French Bull. Plus save 15 % on the new Item of the Week.
• Serena & Lily Bazaar The premier linens and homewares company is opening a special celebratory Summer Bazaar this week. The seasonal online pop-up shop that is now open selectively ten to twelve times a year features an ever-changing assortment of distinctive and one-of-a-kind treasures in several categories such as furniture, lighting, rugs, wall décor, textiles, objets d'art, and now, outdoor living and jewelry. This season's Bazaar showcases finds reminiscent of the height of summer, including a tassled striped hammock hand-woven in Guatemala ($625) and vintage wrought-iron patio furniture, among many other unique treasures perfect for outdoor entertaining and living.
7/22 - 7/27
• Alessi "Complete Your Collection" Sale The renowned kitchen and housewares company is offering a promotional event they're calling the "Complete Your Collection" Sale. A 20% discount will apply to all items in the Michael Graves collection, the Cactus! collection, designed by Marta Sansoni, the Mediterraneo collection, designed by Emma Silvestris, and the Luis Clotet collection.
Online and in stores
• Eron Johnson Antiques Summer Storage Sale Save 20-35% off all storage case furniture. Save on all: trunks and blanket chests, chest of drawers, corner cupboards, linen and stepback cupboards, secretaire desks, sideboards and buffets, cabinets, and armoires. Organization never looked so stylish!
• Lightology's FDV Sale 30% off all FDV brands, including Murano Due, Aureliano Toso, Gallery and Alt Lucialternative.
• The Shade Store's Wood Blinds Sale All wood blinds at The Shade Store are discounted by 10%. The exclusive collections of wood blinds suit both modern and traditional decor. All orders ship free in 3 days.
• The CubeMarketplace.com Summer Clearance Sale Save up to 60% off top handcrafted brands for kitchen, home, and garden, including Bookhou, Caroline Swift, Girlscantell, Latini Pastas, Moretti Polentas, Nudo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Perch!, Plover Organic Textiles, Reynoldsware by Daniel Reynolds, Robert Lambert Fruit Syrups, and Whitney Smith!
• Garnet Hill Summer Sale Save 20-60% on home and fashion items during the Summer Sale and Clearance Event. Save 20-30% on all bedding basics, including Garnet Hill's bestselling comforters, pillows and mattress pads and Eileen Fisher Bedding Essentials.
• Gus* Modern Summer Upholstery Sale Gus* Modern is offering 20% off sofas, sectionals, chairs and ottomans at participating retailers across North America during the Summer Upholstery Sale.
• Mortise & Tenon Summer Sale Save up to 35% off urban rustic and casual modern home furnishings online. Mortise & Tenon also specializes in reclaimed dining tables — with custom sizes available.
• Messy Room Makeover Contest Has entering your kid's cave suddenly turned into an Olympic event? Navigating the slopes of smelly socks that have piled up on the floor, leaping over the mountains of books and toys and dashing towards the exit as the stench of forgotten food overwhelms the senses. If so, g.u.s. wants to see it! Submit photos for a chance to win a $400 makeover of your kid's room.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Circle Furniture's Summer Sale Save on select floor models and discontinued styles.
• Lekker Home Summer Warehouse & Sidewalk Sale Enjoy discounts up to 75% off in-store. Plus, check out the Sidewalk Sale in front of the store for discounts up to 90% off design products.
Lekker Home | 1317 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
7/23 - 7/24
• Secret Treasures Sidewalk Sale Each day Secret Treasures's sidewalk will be bustling with collector's and fun-seekers to snatch up goodies at sidewalk sale prices! New and different merchandise will be offered each day so don't miss out.
Secret Treasures | 605 Dempster, Evanston, Illinois 60201
7/22 - 7/24
• Prairieland Warehouse Antiques Check out the Summer Clearance Sale with 20% off the entire inventory of antique furniture and furnishings, fine and decorative arts.
Prairieland Warehouse Antiques | 7505 North Waukegan Road, Niles, Illinois 60714
7/23 - 8/13
• Discount Classes at The Needle Shop All classes at The Needle Shop's DIY Sewing School and Fabric Shop are discounted by 20%. CLASS SCHEDULE
The Needle Shop | 2054 West Charleston Street, Chicago, Illinois 60647
• Granville Summer Market Days The empty storefronts on the corner of Granville and Broadway are getting a little boost with this weekends only pop up market. Vendors are setting up shop, offering everything from antiques to baked goods, very Saturday and Sunday.
Granville Summer Market Days | Broadway and Granville, Chicago, Illinois 60660
Through 7/31: 10am - 3pm
• Jayson Home & Garden Floor Model & More Sale Up to 50% off huge selection of new and vintage furniture and accessories, including sofas, chairs, tables, lighting, rugs, pillows and more.
Jayson Home & Garden | 1885 North Clybourn Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614
• Good Shepherd Center Show House Check out this show house decked out in the decor of thirty interior designers. Each room is decorated with the finest of furnishings for each resident of Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children. The facility is temporary housing to help women of all ages get back on their feet. Stop by this weekend for a peak into the the house.
Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children | 1650 Rockwood Street, Los Angeles, California 90026
7/23: 11am - 3pm
7/24: 11am - 3pm
• COME IN! 2: Surf.Skate.Bike. A+D Museum presents the 2011 installation of COME IN! The hottest of Los Angeles' young design talent take over the museum's galleries, offices, storage closets and bathrooms. COME IN! fuses this year with the L.A. themes of Surf, Skate and Bike. A pop-up shop will sell limited edition works created by the exhibit's designers.
Architecture and Design Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Cloud Noir Dining Table Sale Take 20% off all floor model dining tables.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Artspace Warehouse/CITY and SOCIETY Show Artist reception for new show CITY and SOCIETY, featuring European and US artists. Museum quality affordable art by Edith Konrad, Barbara Kolo, Brad Reyes, Clara Berta, Marco Pittori, Ashleigh Sumner. New works by LA artists Lucinda Luvaas, Hilary Bond, Ashleigh Sumner, Judy Zimbert, Courtney Raney plus new artworks from our European artists.
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• (Not A) Lemonade Stand Join (Not A) Gallery this weekend for (Not A) Lemonade Stand, a performance installation by Justin Belmont. Stop by to meet the artist and enjoy free lemon/vodka cocktails at our Summer 2011 pop-Up art space.
(Not A) Gallery | 91 Main Street, Southampton, New York 11968
Through 7/24: 2pm - 6pm
• Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World) This first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman features a selection spanning thirty years of 100 original paintings, drawings, and sketches shown along with the many ways Kalman's work has entered contemporary culture - in books and magazines, and on commercial products, from clothing to watches. Less widely seen works in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance are also included. Kalman illuminates contemporary life with a profound sense of joy and unique sense of humor. As a context for this survey, Kalman has created a special installation to reveal some source material she has gathered as collector, walker, traveler, reader and maker of lists. Furnished with chairs, ladders and "many tables of many things," this installation offers a view of how she sees the world, both in and outside the studio.
The Jewish Museum | 1109 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10128
• Sentimento Antiques Summer Sale After 30 great years, Sentimento Antiques, one of New York City's preeminent antiques showrooms, is closing its doors. Sentimento's founder and owner, Toby Landey, found fabulous art, furniture, lighting and home accessories in the most unexpected places. The showroom reflected her unparalleled style and eye for the extraordinary, and was a favorite resource for interior designers and architects. Sentimento is now offering one-of-a-kind vintage and antique furniture, art, lighting and home accessories at a discount: 20% off begins now; 30% off begins July 25; 40% off begins August 1; and 50% off begins August 8.
Sentimento Antiques | 306 East 61st Street, New York, New York 10021
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
• The 2011 Hampton Designer Showhouse The Hampton Designer Showhouse, now in its eleventh year, is a showcase for America's premiere design talent. Approximately 25 top interior designers and decorative artists will turn a lavish shingle style home into a decorating masterpiece. TICKETS
Hampton Designer Showhouse | 1224 Scuttle Hole Road, Bridgehampton, New York 11976
GALA PREVIEW COCKTAIL PARTY: 7/23
OPEN TO PUBLIC: 7/24 - 9/4
• Freeman's Summer Estates Sale Exhibition This exhibition displays the Summer Estates sale items which are split between the three auctions later in the second week.
Freeman's Auction House | 1808 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19101
7/23 - 7/29
• New Paintings by Ex-Weezer Bassist Mikey Welsh The Slingluff Gallery presents new paintings by Ex-Weezer Bassist, Mikey Welsh. Self-taught and influenced by playing in bands his entire adult life, Mikey Welsh started painting with his hands, which unconsciously lead to getting that aggressive and immediate feeling he had while playing. For him, this is a necessity. Welsh's new work perfectly combines his figurative work with his abstract into paintings that pop off of the canvas.
The Slingluff Gallery | 11 West Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
• Woonwinkel Grand Opening In celebration of Woonwinkel's grand opening, enjoy a 15% discount on your first purchase.
Woonwinkel | 935 SW Washington Street, Portland, Oregon 97205
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Past Perfect Super Sidewalk Sale Both locations of Past Perfect are joining the other merchants of Union Street for Union Street's annual Super Sidewalk Sale. With big savings storewide, you should shop early for the best selection!
Past Perfect | 2224 Union Street, San Francisco, California 94123
7/22 - 7/24
• Gump's EQ Show The beauty of horses is undeniable. They are an amazing creature, a gift that has graced our world for thousands of years. They have inspired chariots, sewn fertile soils, served on ceremony, raced to every finish line and carried early San Franciscans through treacherous terrain safely to the shores of the Pacific. We celebrate the seductive and powerful character of horses through the many mediums that are available to our artisans. Fine oils, wood, bronze, glass, leather and clay all shape our desire to capture the essence of this most beautiful creature. Join us and explore an installation of equestrian delight.
Gump's | 135 Post Street, San Francisco, California 94108
• Free Summer Saturdays at the Corcoran Join the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design for FREE Summer Saturdays – back by popular demand! This summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend, enjoy free admission to the Gallery, including special exhibitions Chris Martin: Painting Big and Washington Color and Light. Enjoy special programs, Gallery tours, workshops, demonstrations, and performances for all ages.
Corcoran Gallery of Art | 500 17th Street NW, Washington DC 20006
Send it to us. We publish every week: