As summer casually drifts by and we try to get the most out of every weekend, it's important to set aside some fun time. So after checking items off the to-do list, check out some of the cool stuff on this week's sales and events list! Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Modani Furniture Fourth of July Sale This Fourth of July, add some more sizzle to your celebration with up to 40 percent off (or more in some cases!) on some of Modani Furniture's hottest summer accessories and lighting. Shop Modani's Red, White and Blue Fourth of July Sale designed to save you lots of green!
Online and in stores
• YLiving's Kartell Sale Save 15% on all Kartell furnishings, lighting and accessories at YLiving. Also enjoy free shipping and no sales tax.
7/11 - 7/17
• Lightology's FDV Sale 30% off all FDV brands, including Murano Due, Aureliano Toso, Gallery and Alt Lucialternative.
• The Shade Store's Wood Blinds Sale All wood blinds at The Shade Store are discounted by 10%. The exclusive collections of wood blinds suit both modern and traditional decor. All orders ship free in 3 days.
• The CubeMarketplace.com Summer Clearance Sale Save up to 60% off top handcrafted brands for kitchen, home, and garden, including Bookhou, Caroline Swift, Girlscantell, Latini Pastas, Moretti Polentas, Nudo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Perch!, Plover Organic Textiles, Reynoldsware by Daniel Reynolds, Robert Lambert Fruit Syrups, and Whitney Smith!
• Garnet Hill Summer Sale Save 20-60% on home and fashion items during the Summer Sale and Clearance Event. Save 20-30% on all bedding basics, including Garnet Hill's bestselling comforters, pillows and mattress pads and Eileen Fisher Bedding Essentials.
• Messy Room Makeover Contest Has entering your kid's cave suddenly turned into an Olympic event? Navigating the slopes of smelly socks that have piled up on the floor, leaping over the mountains of books and toys and dashing towards the exit as the stench of forgotten food overwhelms the senses. If so, g.u.s. wants to see it! Submit photos for a chance to win a $400 makeover of your kid's room.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Circle Furniture's Summer Sale Save on select floor models and discontinued styles.
• Constructor Craft Fair Bad-ass crafters unite under one roof to overthrow the Western suburbs. The folks from Fly Bird and Sheriff Peanut have collected over 45 of the most talented crafters in the Chicagoland area for this one-day event. Shop from the crafty vendors, enjoy snacks from local food trucks, and have a good time!
Fitzgerald's | 6615 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn, Illinois 60402
7/9: 10am - 6pm
• Indego Africa 3rd Annual Chicago Benefit Indego Africa is an innovative social enterprise with a fair trade approach to ending systemic poverty in Africa. The fundraiser will be held in the Green Home Chicago showroom and will feature L'Orchestre Super Vitesse, an open bar, light fare, and a silent auction. This year's premier silent auction item is a private shopping experience with designer Nicole Miller. TICKETS
Green Home Chicago | 213 North Morgan Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607
7/14: 6pm - 10pm
• Discount Classes at The Needle Shop All classes at The Needle Shop's DIY Sewing School and Fabric Shop are discounted by 20%. CLASS SCHEDULE
The Needle Shop | 2054 West Charleston Street, Chicago, Illinois 60647
• Granville Summer Market Days The empty storefronts on the corner of Granville and Broadway are getting a little boost with this weekends only pop up market. Vendors are setting up shop, offering everything from antiques to baked goods, very Saturday and Sunday.
Granville Summer Market Days | Broadway and Granville, Chicago, Illinois 60660
Through 7/31: 10am - 3pm
• Bauer Pottery Showroom Sale Get great deals on Bauer Pottery and Russel Wright American Modern seconds.
Bauer Pottery | 3051 Rosslyn Street, Los Angeles, California 90065
7/9: 10am - 5pm
7/10: 10am - 4pm
• COME IN! 2: Surf.Skate.Bike. A+D Museum presents the 2011 installation of COME IN! The hottest of Los Angeles' young design talent take over the museum's galleries, offices, storage closets and bathrooms. COME IN! fuses this year with the L.A. themes of Surf, Skate and Bike. A pop-up shop will sell limited edition works created by the exhibit's designers.
Architecture and Design Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Artspace Warehouse/CITY and SOCIETY Show Artist reception for new show CITY and SOCIETY, featuring European and US artists. Museum quality affordable art by Edith Konrad, Barbara Kolo, Brad Reyes, Clara Berta, Marco Pittori, Ashleigh Sumner. New works by LA artists Lucinda Luvaas, Hilary Bond, Ashleigh Sumner, Judy Zimbert, Courtney Raney plus new artworks from our European artists.
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Irma Boom Book Signing To celebrate the release of Knoll Textiles, 1945-2010 join the Bard Graduate Center for a special book signing with Irma Boom. Knoll Textiles, 1945-2010 provides an in-depth analysis of textiles of one of the world's leading design companies, Knoll. The book also makes a major contribution to modern design history by resurrecting the stories of over 80 designers who created textiles for Knoll from 1942 to the present in an extensive biography section, which provides previously unpublished and critical information.
Bard Graduate Center Gallery, 18 West 86th Street, New York, New York 10024
7/13: 6pm - 8pm
• Steuben Glass Sale Iconic American crystal company Steuben Glass announces an extremely rare sale at their Madison Avenue flagship boutique. An extensive selection of their superb tabletop collections, barware and decorative accessories will go on sale, for a limited time, for up to 30% off. Sale items include some of Steuben's classic glass pieces, like the "Bamboo Bud Vase", the "Heavy Cut Old Fashioned Glasses" and the "Petal Cut Ice Bucket." In addition, many of their iconic animal designs, such the "Bluebird" and the "Curious Cat" will be among the sale items.
Steuben Glass | 667 Madison Avenue, New York, New York 10065
7/13 - 7/16
• The Future Perfect's Summer Tabletop Shop at Cynthia Rowley Cynthia Rowley Montauk is excited to host stylish summer tabletop and homewares from Brooklyn's inimitable design store The Future Perfect. The "Shack in the Back" will be stocked with a collection of unique and charming tabletop products to suit every entertaining need.
Cynthia Rowley | 696 Montauk Highway, Montauk, New York 11954
• (Not A) Lemonade Stand Join (Not A) Gallery this weekend for (Not A) Lemonade Stand, a performance installation by Justin Belmont. Stop by to meet the artist and enjoy free lemon/vodka cocktails at our Summer 2011 pop-Up art space.
(Not A) Gallery | 91 Main Street, Southampton, New York 11968
Through 7/24: 2pm - 6pm
• Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World) This first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman features a selection spanning thirty years of 100 original paintings, drawings, and sketches shown along with the many ways Kalman's work has entered contemporary culture - in books and magazines, and on commercial products, from clothing to watches. Less widely seen works in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance are also included. Kalman illuminates contemporary life with a profound sense of joy and unique sense of humor. As a context for this survey, Kalman has created a special installation to reveal some source material she has gathered as collector, walker, traveler, reader and maker of lists. Furnished with chairs, ladders and "many tables of many things," this installation offers a view of how she sees the world, both in and outside the studio.
The Jewish Museum | 1109 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10128
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
• New Paintings by Ex-Weezer Bassist Mikey Welsh The Slingluff Gallery presents new paintings by Ex-Weezer Bassist, Mikey Welsh. Self-taught and influenced by playing in bands his entire adult life, Mikey Welsh started painting with his hands, which unconsciously lead to getting that aggressive and immediate feeling he had while playing. For him, this is a necessity. Welsh's new work perfectly combines his figurative work with his abstract into paintings that pop off of the canvas.
The Slingluff Gallery | 11 West Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
7/2 - 7/30
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Gump's EQ Show The beauty of horses is undeniable. They are an amazing creature, a gift that has graced our world for thousands of years. They have inspired chariots, sewn fertile soils, served on ceremony, raced to every finish line and carried early San Franciscans through treacherous terrain safely to the shores of the Pacific. We celebrate the seductive and powerful character of horses through the many mediums that are available to our artisans. Fine oils, wood, bronze, glass, leather and clay all shape our desire to capture the essence of this most beautiful creature. Join us and explore an installation of equestrian delight.
Gump's | 135 Post Street, San Francisco, California 94108
7/7 - 8/17
• Greentea Design's Steps and Storage Sale 20% off on all step chests and bookshelves.
Greentea Design | 388 Carlaw Avenue, Suite 200, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4M 2T4
• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world's fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum's upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• Free Summer Saturdays at the Corcoran Join the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design for FREE Summer Saturdays – back by popular demand! This summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend, enjoy free admission to the Gallery, including special exhibitions Chris Martin: Painting Big and Washington Color and Light. Enjoy special programs, Gallery tours, workshops, demonstrations, and performances for all ages.
Corcoran Gallery of Art | 500 17th Street NW, Washington DC 20006
Send it to us. We publish every week: