It seems like just yesterday that we were talking about year-end sales and now it's already June! With this dawning of the summer season comes a new array of outdoor activities — from show houses to street fests. Along with these fun events, you'll also find an assortment of great sales to keep your home looking fresh this summer. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your own sale or event
Shown, clockwise from top left: AllModern Herman Miller Sale, Lumens Fan Sale, Home & Garden Tour of Southwestern Michigan's Harbor Country, Urban Woods Loading Dock Sale
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Baker Furniture's May Soiree Save 10% on all Baker Upholstery and the Milling Road Collection.
• Vermont Woods Studios Fine Dining Room Furniture Sale Save up to 20% on Vermont made dining room furniture. Includes a lifetime guarantee and free shipping.
• AllModern Herman Miller Sale 15% off Herman Miller pieces, plus free shipping and no sales tax on most orders.
• Wexel Art's Go Big Sale Large Frames are discounted 20% off. Wexel Art Frames dad's favorite posters, team jerseys and kids art - in a way he can change up easily and often. In case mom doesn't care to see that Sports Illustrated Model on Display all year long.
• Greentea Design's Steps and Storage Sale Save up to 30% on all Step Chests and bookshelves.
• Lumens Fan Sale Free gift with fan purchase from top brands including Fanimation, Minka Aire, Matthews and Emerson. Plus, save up to 55% on select fan styles.
• My Urban Child Sale All Babyletto furniture and all Nurseyworks cribs are on Sale 10%-15% off.
• Do Division Street Fest The 6th annual Do-Division Street Fest & Sidewalk Sale has expanded to three days. This signature Chicago street fest mixes great shopping, live music and family entertainment together under the sun! Spanning a lengthy 10-city blocks on Division from Ashland to Leavitt, the bash features the always popular Family Fun Fest as well as the best food, music, crafts and local vendors from the surrounding 'hood. The Do-Division Street Fest & Sidewalk Sale will give the estimated 60,000-plus attendees a taste of what makes West Division one of the hottest destination streets in Chicago.
Do-Division | Division Street between Ashland & Leavitt, Chicago, Illinois 60622
6/1: 5pm - 10pm
6/2: 12pm - 10pm
6/3: 12pm - 10pm
• Home & Garden Tour of Southwestern Michigan's Harbor Country Join Heartland Alliance for a tour of splendid, professionally designed private homes and gardens in southwest Michigan's Harbor Country. Spend a leisurely day in the country exploring exquisite homes and the spectacular work of the Midwest's acclaimed interior designers, architects, and horticultural enthusiasts. This spring tradition benefits the work of Heartland Alliance and its supportive and affordable housing programs that move individuals from harm to hope and into homes. TICKETS
Lovell & Whyte | 14950 Lakeside Road, Lakeside, Michigan 49116
6/9: 10am - 6pm
• Idea Tree Exhibit A single, storm-felled tree lives on in the center of downtown Chicago, reborn into 40+ new design ideas. Idea Tree sprouts in a 5,000-square-foot gallery within the landmark Inland Steel Building. The exhibit is the culmination of a design project spearheaded by Chicago's Sawbridge Studios in collaboration with Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), and Horigan Urban Forest Products. The Idea Tree exhibit features dozens of furniture and home accessories from over 80 individual, one-of-a-kind craftsmen, and furniture makers from around the country pieces, all made from a single storm-felled tree.
Inland Steel Building | 77 South Dearborn Street, Chicago, Illinois 60602
• New Works by Matt Adrian at Henry Road 'Murmuration' features 40 new works by Matt Adrian. Also known as 'The Mincing Mockingbird', Matt creates lush acrylic paintings of birds from his home base on the central coast of California. His work ranges from the beautiful and sweet to the intimidating and sinister and is collected worldwide.
Henry Road | 3949 Laurelgrove Avenue, Studio City, California 91604
Opening: 6/2: 5pm - 8pm
• Layered Works Opening Reception New art exhibition Layered Works is opening at Artspace Warehouse. The artists' works on display in this nicely balanced, cohesive exhibition embrace the layering of images and materials in artworks. The exhibition focuses on the complexity and synthesis of layered works by artists Hilary Bond, Kati Elm, Paul Kirley and Raul de la Torre.
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
Opening: 6/2: 5pm - 7pm
Exhibition: Through 7/31
• Urban Woods Loading Dock Sale It's time to clear out the warehouse to make room for new product. Take advantage of Urban Woods' excesses! Chose from tables, dressers, beds, coffee tables and more. Some with blemishes, some perfect. Crafted from reclaimed wood, salvaged locally in Los Angeles, Urban Woods creates gorgeous pieces for your home and office.
Urban Woods | 7765 Lemona Avenue, Van Nuys, California 91405
6/2: 10am - 2pm
• Mortise & Tenon Floor Model Sale May is the month to bring in lots of new designs so Mortise & Tenon are discounting many of their floor model furniture and accessories up to 50% off.
Mortise & Tenon | 446 South La Brea, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Great Homes of Long Beach Tour Once a year, Long Beach Heritage invites the public to get a closer look at some of the unique homes that make up the city's rich architectural history. For the 2012 Great Homes Tour, five distinguished homes of distinctive architectural character and one remarkable garden will take the spotlight. Docents will highlight the interior and exterior features and the history of the homes. Tickets required.
Long Beach Heritage | addresses given with ticket purchase
6/3: 12pm - 5pm
• Jeff ZImmerman at Duke & Duke Duke & Duke is pleased to announce the exhibition of master glass artist and lighting designer Jeff Zimmerman. The exhibition explores a variety of Zimmerman's glass sculpture along with new light works, all which convey organic details and natural forms.
Duke & Duke | 8527 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, California 90069
• Michael Boyd "PLANEFurniture - types + prototypes" Edward Cella Art + Architecture presents its first exhibition of contemporary furniture that advances the gallery's unique focus on 20th and 21st century architects and designers. The exhibition also represents the debut of PLANEfurniture, an innovative suite of modern furniture created by noted designer and collector Michael Boyd. Inspired by the pioneers of modern design, from Gerrit Rietveld and Rudolph Schindler to Jean Prouvé and Donald Judd, the PLANEfurniture collection attains perfect proportions and a simple, functional beauty.
Edward Cella Art+Architecture | 6018 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• DwellStudio Flagship Store Opening DwellStudio is opening their first brick and mortar store. The 2,700-square-foot SoHo space will be stocked with the company's furniture, including chairs, sofas and beds available in a wide range of upholstery fabrics.
DwellStudio | 77 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10012
Grand Opening: 6/1
• Estate of Arthur Laurents Auction Roland Antiques is offering items from the estate of Tony award winning playwright Arthur Laurents. Included in the auction: antique furniture, various awards, notable artwork. ONLINE CATALOG
Roland Antiques | 80 East 11th Street, New York, New York 10003
Exhibition: 5/30 - 6/1: 10am - 7pm
Auction: 6/2: 11am
• Bucks County Designer House & Gardens Premier designers and landscapers have revitalized an 1850s Dutch Colonial house, barn and pool into a timeless Bucks County estate. The project benefits Doylestown Hospital and select V.I.A. community causes. The major portion of the profits is dedicated toward construction and expansion of a new state-of-the-art Emergency Department at the hospital.
Bucks County Designer House & Gardens | 3864 Spring Valley Road, Furlong, Pennsylvania 18925
• Liz O'Brien "Editions" Known for her keen eye and expertise when it comes to 20th-century art and design, this is your last week to see Liz O'Brien's staging of an exhibition of high-style vintage and new seating, tables and lighting.
1st Dibs at New York Design Center | 200 Lexington Avenue, New York, New York 10016
• The Designer Showhouse of New Jersey Now in its sixth year, the Designer Showhouse of New Jersey is a showcase for America's premier design talent. Approximately 25 top interior and landscape designers from New York and New Jersey will transform a luxurious New Jersey home into a decorating masterpiece. Additional attractions include the Showhouse Boutique and Personal Touch Caterers Café.
Designer Showhouse of New Jersey | 27 Denison Drive, Saddle River, New Jersey 07458
• Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition More than 200 artists will be exhibiting 1000 works in every medium, from the traditional to the cutting edge. Special events are planned for every day of the show - including the Sunday acoustic performance series, UnPlugged in Red Hook; as well as free professional development classes in Photoshop and figurative drawing. There will also be a "Show within the Show" featuring the private collection of BWAC artists' work accumulated over the course of twenty years by a single individual, a true patron of the artsCelebrate this spring with the artists of the Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition, who are marking twenty consecutive years of exhibitions in their magnificent venue, a 25,000 square foot Civil War era building, poised on the tip of Red Hook and overlooking New York Harbor.
BWAC | 499 Van Brunt Street, Brooklyn, New York 11231
Weekends through 6/16: 1pm - 6pm
• Rummers of Bohmann Park Home Tour The Historic Preservation League of Oregon has organized the second annual Mid-Century Marvelous Home Tour. The tour will once again feature homes by Robert Rummer, this time in the Bohmann Park tract in the Garden Home district, the largest development of contiguous Rummer Homes ever concentrated in one neighborhood. This neighborhood of 63 mid century modern homes on four streets is unique. Originally built in the mid to late 1960s, the neighborhood is enjoying a period of revitalization as welcome attention is paid to these gems. TICKETS
Historic Preservation League of Oregon | Addresses given at check-in
6/2: 10am - 4pm
• Sunset Celebration Weekend Sunset magazine invites the public to Celebration Weekend 2012. At its 15th annual Celebration Weekend, Sunset will open its beautiful seven-acre Menlo Park campus to celebrate the freshest flavors, home and garden ideas, and travel inspiration that the West has to offer. Join Sunset editors, celebrity chefs, including Guy Fieri, and other renowned experts from the worlds of food, wine, travel, garden and home as they share tips, tastings, demonstrations and inspiration that brings the fearless spirit of the West to life. TICKETS
Sunset Celebration Weekend | 80 Willow Road, Menlo Park, California 94025
6/2 - 6/3: 10am - 5pm
• Ekster Antiques Barn Sale Event Ekster Antiques' historic 8,000-square-foot former dairy barn will be filled from top to bottom with fantastic European, Belgian and Scandinavian-style old and new furniture and home accessories.
Ekster Antiques | 38532 Pheasant Hill Lane, Hamilton, Virginia 20158
6/1 - 6/3: 10am - 5pm
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
Images: Clockwise from top left: AllModern Herman Miller Sale, Lumens Fan Sale, Home & Garden Tour of Southwestern Michigan's Harbor Country, Urban Woods Loading Dock Sale