Summer doesn't officially start until next week but there's no reason to wait until then to get the season started. Many retailers have already started their summer sales and, now that the weather is heating up, we're seeing more and more outdoor events – like the South End Garden Tour in Boston and the Vintage Garage Sale in Chicago. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your own sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• 20x200 Ridonk 20% Sale 20x200 is having their twice a year 20 percent off everything sale.
• Graham Brown 3-Day Sale Save 25% on all regularly priced products.
• Lumens Nelson Bubble Lamp Sale Save up to 25% on all Nelson Bubble Lamps by Modernica.
• Wexel Art's Go Big Sale Large Frames are discounted 20% off. Wexel Art Frames dad's favorite posters, team jerseys and kids art - in a way he can change up easily and often. In case mom doesn't care to see that Sports Illustrated Model on Display all year long.
• Greentea Design's Steps and Storage Sale Save up to 30% on all Step Chests and bookshelves.
• Designer Fluff Summer Sale 30% off purchases of $300 or more.
• AllModern Babyletto Sale 10% Off all Babyletto products plus get a free mattress with every standard crib.
• Lightology Sale Save 20-50% off the Lightology Collection and 15% off ZIQI Home to celebrate the brand-new, redesigned Lightology.com.
• Lumens Fan Sale Free gift with fan purchase from top brands including Fanimation, Minka Aire, Matthews and Emerson. Plus, save up to 55% on select fan styles.
• One Sydney Road Paris Pop Up Shop One Sydney Road just launched the Paris online Pop-Up Shop, a new, city based online feature that will change every two monhs. Items are hand-picked from OSR's favorite artists and shops from around the world. This shop is all about Paris and includes items inspired by Paris, photographs and stories about Paris.
• My Urban Child Sale All Babyletto furniture and all Nurseyworks cribs are on Sale 10%-15% off.
• Boston's South End Garden Tour This year's walk encompasses the city's answer to SoHo – the SoWa district. There's also the Berkeley Gardens, with its Asian gardener community and the Harrison Urban Garden, an imaginative and green use of a parking garage rooftop. But best of all are the Artists in the Garden. Debuting just last year, area artists are returning to create new works on site, then sell the pieces to the public at a day's end reception. TICKETS
Boston Center for the Arts | 539 Tremont Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
6/16: 10am - 4pm
• Crewel Embroidery Workshop at The Needle Shop Katherine Shaughnessy, author of New Crewel: A Motif Collection, is swinging through Chicago on a book tour. She'll be teaching a one time workshop on the subject. Crewel embroidery is hand embroidering with wool yarns on linen fabric and has a lush, 3D effect. Great for wall art, pillows, linens, etc.
The Needle Shop | 2054 West Charleston, Chicago, Illinois 60647
6/16: 3pm - 5pm
• Vintage Garage Chicago With space for at least 100 dealers, Vintage Garage Chicago is the city's newest venue for buying and selling vintage and antique merchandise.
Vintage Garage Chicago | 5051 North Broadway, Chicago, Illinois 60640
6/17: 9am - 4pm
7/15: 9am - 4pm
8/19: 9am - 4pm
9/16: 9am - 4pm
10/21: 9am - 4pm
• Idea Tree Exhibit A single, storm-felled tree lives on in the center of downtown Chicago, reborn into 40+ new design ideas. Idea Tree sprouts in a 5,000-square-foot gallery within the landmark Inland Steel Building. The exhibit is the culmination of a design project spearheaded by Chicago's Sawbridge Studios in collaboration with Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), and Horigan Urban Forest Products. The Idea Tree exhibit features dozens of furniture and home accessories from over 80 individual, one-of-a-kind craftsmen, and furniture makers from around the country pieces, all made from a single storm-felled tree.
Inland Steel Building | 77 South Dearborn Street, Chicago, Illinois 60602
• Ligne Roset Houston Store Opening Ligne Roset, the renowned French furniture and lifestyle brand, is proud to open a new 5,242 square-foot showroom in Houston. This exclusive Ligne Roset showroom will be open to both retail and trade customers and will offer free design services. To welcome its new customers, the store is offering 15% off new orders.
Ligne Roset | 2800 Kirby Drive, Suite #A210, Houston, Texas 77098
6/15 - 7/15
• Michael Boyd "PLANEFurniture - types + prototypes" Edward Cella Art + Architecture presents its first exhibition of contemporary furniture that advances the gallery's unique focus on 20th and 21st century architects and designers. The exhibition also represents the debut of PLANEfurniture, an innovative suite of modern furniture created by noted designer and collector Michael Boyd. Inspired by the pioneers of modern design, from Gerrit Rietveld and Rudolph Schindler to Jean Prouvé and Donald Judd, the PLANEfurniture collection attains perfect proportions and a simple, functional beauty.
Edward Cella Art+Architecture | 6018 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• TREBOR/NEVETS Quarterly Sale TREBOR/NEVETS' 4th Street store in Long Beach is a hub for all things home furnishings and décor. From custom home furnishings to vintage one-of-a-kind finds, they offer an ever-changing selection of things for your life and lifestyle. But all the goodies that won't fit in the store on any given day are housed in their offsite annex, which is currently brimming full of finds from recent trips back East and abroad. This weekend they're throwing open the doors to their Daisy Avenue Annex to offer a first-glimpse and Quarterly Sale on everything — vintage and new home furnishings, sofas, chairs, tables, lighting, area rugs, pillows, and more!
TREBOR/NEVETS | 1350 Daisy Avenue, Long Beach, California 90813
6/16 - 6/17
• Dwell Los Angeles House Tours Join Dwell magazine for what promises to be three days full of interesting architecture and people during the annual Dwell Home Tour. A portion of the Home Tour ticket proceeds will go to our non-profit partner, Architecture for Humanity. TICKETS
Meet the Architects: 6/15
East Side Tour: 6/16
Prefab Home Tour: 6/17
• Designing the Dream Outdoor Kitchen Homeowners and design professionals have the opportunity to learn how to create the dream outdoor kitchen from leading Los Angeles area landscape architects, Lisa Gimmy, Russ Cletta and Mark Scott. Along with Russ Faulk, vice president of product development for Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet, they will participate in a panel discussion hosted by Jaime Gillin, deputy editor of Dwell magazine. RSVP
Snyder Diamond showroom, 1399 Olympic Boulevard, Santa Monica, California 90404
6/20: 6:30pm - 8pm
• Environment Furniture Rough Luxe Reception Davide Berruto cordially invites you to meet Kahi Lee at a cocktail reception for the presentation of Roug Luxe Design, designing with sustainable, reclaimed, and vintage pieces.
Environment Orange County | 3333 Bear Street, Suite 225, Costa Mesa, California 92626
6/20: 6pm - 9pm
• Madeline Weinrib Sample Sale Madeline Weinrib will host her first ever sample sale event this week. Best known for her artisanally-crafted carpets, iconic Ikats and East meets West aesthetic, Madeline will bring her coveted collections to LA at 40-70% off retail prices. The wide selection of carpet and pillow designs will be available in Madeline's signature colorful and graphic patterns including the Daphne, Brooke and Mandala. This unique pop-up sample sale will also include the designer's fabric, one-of-a-kind furniture and assorted home accessories.
Madeline Weinrib | 8473 Melrose Place, Los Angeles, California 90069
6/21 - 6/24
• 2012 Dwell on Design Join Dwell Magazine in the West Coast's Largest Design Show. The theme this year is Modern Beyond Expectations, and we definitely anticipate that the show will exceed all expectations. Highlights include home tours, green car test drives, over 70 presentations by and conversations with leading design experts and tastemakers, Dwell Design Week, and much more. REGISTRATION
Dwell on Design | 1201 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, California 90015
6/22 - 6/24
• Italian Summer Sale by WalkOn Tile Check out this Italian Summer Sale hosted by WalkOn Tile.
Walk On Tile | 12353 Wilshire Boulevard, West Los Angeles, California 90025
• Layered Works Opening Reception New art exhibition Layered Works is opening at Artspace Warehouse. The artists' works on display in this nicely balanced, cohesive exhibition embrace the layering of images and materials in artworks. The exhibition focuses on the complexity and synthesis of layered works by artists Hilary Bond, Kati Elm, Paul Kirley and Raul de la Torre.
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition More than 200 artists will be exhibiting 1000 works in every medium, from the traditional to the cutting edge. Special events are planned for every day of the show - including the Sunday acoustic performance series, UnPlugged in Red Hook; as well as free professional development classes in Photoshop and figurative drawing. There will also be a "Show within the Show" featuring the private collection of BWAC artists' work accumulated over the course of twenty years by a single individual, a true patron of the artsCelebrate this spring with the artists of the Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition, who are marking twenty consecutive years of exhibitions in their magnificent venue, a 25,000 square foot Civil War era building, poised on the tip of Red Hook and overlooking New York Harbor.
BWAC | 499 Van Brunt Street, Brooklyn, New York 11231
Weekends through 6/16: 1pm - 6pm
• MoMA Design Store Summer Sale The MoMA Design Store is having a summer sale on select items throughout their New York stores and online. Save up to 50% on selected tabletop, desk and personal accessories, home furnishings, books and stationary.
Moma Design Store | 81 Spring Street, New York, New York 10012
• Going Green II at Crossing Art Gallery Going Green II is an annual exhibition that supports not only an eco-friendly environment but raises issues about the current trends and future fate of urban landscapes.
Crossing Art Queens | 136-17 39th Avenue, Flushing, New York 11354
Opening Reception: 6/16: 3pm - 6pm
Exhibition: Through 8/14
• ABC Carpet & Home Summer Sale Everything will be on sale at all store locations, including furniture, rugs, lighting, linens, accessories and more, reduced up to 60% off their original prices. In addition, select items from the Conran Shop, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Timothy Oulton, Barbara Barry, Frette, Pratesi, Theodore Alexander, and Gary Graham have been marked down exclusively for this special event.
All ABC Carpet & Home Locations
• Chronicle Books Spring Warehouse Sale Save up to 65% on select titles only at the Chronicle Books Corporate Headquarters.
Chronicle Books | 680 Second Street, San Francisco, California 94107
6/20: 9am - 7pm
6/21: 9am - 7pm
6/:22: 9am - 7pm
• Master Gardeners Present: 2012 Educational Garden Tour The tour will feature six beautiful examples of sustainable, water-wise gardens in Atherton, Menlo Park, Redwood City and San Carlos.Master Gardeners will be available throughout the gardens to answer your questions and demonstrate sustainable gardening practices.
Master Gardener Demonstration Garden | 1968 Old County Road, Redwood City, California 94063
6/23: 10am - 4pm
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
Send it to us. We publish every week:
Images: Clockwise from top left: Graham Brown 3-Day Sale, Lumens Nelson Bubble Lamp Sale, Designer Fluff Summer Sale, Las Venus New York Summer Sale