Clockwise: Odegard Rug Sale, The Shade Store, LA Modern Auction, C.W. Flea
The month of June is quickly coming to a close. Take this opportunity to get out and enjoy some summer sales and events. From the annual Dwell on Design in LA to the Makers Market in New York, here's a list of events from coast to coast. Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event
.NATIONAL & ONLINE
• CB2's The Trevor Project Giveback CB2 is proud to announce its commitment as a National Corporate Partner of The Trevor Project, the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth. To kick off the partnership, CB2 will donate 5% of all sales online, in stores, and through the catalog.
Online and in stores.
6/25 - 6/26
• Anichini's Get Down Sale Whether you’re looking to replace your pillows, switch to a summer-weight down blanket, or treat yourself to the penultimate in luxury down, now's the perfect time to get down. Save 20% on the finest European Goose Down and get free ground shipping on orders over $300.
• Serena & Lily's Bazaar Art Gallery Serena & Lily reopens its exclusive, art only Bazaar. This seasonal online pop-up shop typically features an ever-changing assortment of distinctive and one-of-a-kind treasures in several categories such as furniture, lighting, rugs, wall decor, textiles and objets d'art. However, this uniquely different Bazaar will solely showcase artwork from prominent artists, in addition to vintage art pieces. The Bazaar will feature works from the portfolios of Serena & Lily Bazaar favorites, including Karen Smidth, Sarah Westover, and Rachel Teannalach, as well as welcomed newcomers like Wayne Pate, Elisabeth Lecourt, Elaine Coombs, and Paul Norwood. For the first time ever, the Serena & Lily Bazaar will also feature four exclusive works by artists of San Francisco's Creativity Explored, a non-profit visual arts center where artists with developmental disabilities create, exhibit and sell art.
6/24 - 6/29
• Lightology Norwell Sale 10% off all Norwell Lighting, including bath bars, bathroom wall sconces, outdoor lighting and wall sconces.
• The Shade Store's Solar Materials Sale All solar materials are 10% off. This summer sale includes Solar Shades, Solar Roman Shades, and Solar Vertical Systems. All Solar Shade materials are energy efficient and environmentally friendly. Customers can choose from a selection of GreenGuard Certified materials.
• The Garden Conservancy’s Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Home Anthology's Summer Sale Save 10-50% throughout Home Anthology's 5,000 square foot mid century modern warehouse. We carry classics from Knoll and Herman Miller as well as vintage teak and rosewood pieces direct from Denmark.
Home Anthology | 91 Mellor Avenue, Catonsville, Maryland 21228
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Circle Furniture Comfort Plus Promo Choose a free recliner accessory with the purchase of any Stressless recliner and ottoman. Plus, save $300 on the Stressless Sunrise in select color.
All Circle Furniture locations
• Odegard Rug Sale Up to 70% off hand knotted rugs, furniture and accessories. Odegard quality hand knotted and crossed carpets are made from lanolin rich Himalayan wool. All Odegard products are made completely by hand using sustainable raw materials and human resources.
Odegard Rugs | 2831 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60657
Through 6/26: 10am - 6pm
• Fly Bird Sidewalk Sale Fly Bird and their retailing buddies will be out in full force flipping deals like flapjacks. Stop by to chat and to take advantage of the sweet summer savings. Take 50% off all of our pavement worthy merchandise! From Baggallini to Jonathan Adler, the Bird will be representing stellar stock all weekend long. Use this opportunity to get all of your summer gift giving taken care of in one shot.
Fly Bird Boutique | 719 Lake Street, Oak Park, Illinois 60301
6/24: 12pm - 7pm
6/25: 9am - 5pm
6/26: 12pm - 5pm
• C.W. Flea Collier West is holding its annual flea market event with 25- 80% off home decor, jewelry, one of a kind finds, curiosities, antiques and more, including in-store stock of John Derian Decoupage and Juliska Tableware.
Collier West | 787 North High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215
6/24 - 6/26: 9am - 5pm
• MAM Resale Store Sale The resale store at Memorial Assistance Ministries is having its quarterly sale. New furniture is arriving daily in a mixture of styles: traditional, contemporary, mid-century, victorian, retro. Also find great deals on apparel, toys, home goods, and accessories.
MAM Resale Store | 1625 Blalock Road, Houston, Texas 77080
6/24: 10am - 6pm
6/25: 10am - 5pm
• Dwell on Design 2011 Curated by the editors of Dwell Magazine, the three-day celebration of modern design will feature over 200 brands on the exhibition floor, numerous design competitions, home tours across Los Angeles, and over 80 presentations and panels by industry leaders and influencers. This year's keynote speaker, renowned architect and groundbreaking visionary William McDonough, FAIA, Int. FRIBA, will also share his ideas that have made a lasting impression in the design landscape. TICKETS
Los Angeles Convention Center | 1201 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, California 90015
6/24 - 6/26
• LA Modern Auctions Check out the offerings at this modern art and design auction. Highlights include custom William "Billy" Haines furniture, Robert Rauschenberg Untitled (Combine) 1958, an Alexander Calder painting, a collection of Sam Maloof designs, a selection of Rufino Tamayo prints, and a Richard Anuskiewicz painting.
Los Angeles Modern Auctions | 16145 Hart Street, Van Nuys, California 91406
PREVIEW: 6/24 - 6/25: 10am - 6pm
AUCTION: 6/26: 12pm
• Annual Storewide Clearance Sale It's time for the annual storewide clearance sale at Grace Home Furnishings. All floor merchandise and warehouse inventory will be discounted up to 75% to make room for the new fall inventory.
Grace Home Furnishings | 11632 Barrington Court, Los Angeles, California 90049
• COME IN! 2: Surf.Skate.Bike. A+D Museum presents the 2011 installation of COME IN! The hottest of Los Angeles’ young design talent take over the museum’s galleries, offices, storage closets and bathrooms. COME IN! fuses this year with the L.A. themes of Surf, Skate and Bike. A pop-up shop will sell limited edition works created by the exhibit’s designers.
Architecture and Design Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Artspace Warehouse/CITY and SOCIETY Show Artist reception for new show CITY and SOCIETY, featuring European and US artists. Museum quality affordable art by Edith Konrad, Barbara Kolo, Brad Reyes, Clara Berta, Marco Pittori, Ashleigh Sumner. New works by LA artists Lucinda Luvaas, Hilary Bond, Ashleigh Sumner, Judy Zimbert, Courtney Raney plus new artworks from our European artists.
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Donald Judd Exhibition David Zwirner is pleased to present an exhibition of works by Donald Judd drawn from the artist’s seminal 1989 exhibition held at the Staatliche Kunsthalle Baden-Baden, Germany. Spanning both of the gallery’s viewing spaces, the works on view will be re-installed in accordance to the artist’s original intentions, and the exhibition will comprise a focused investigation of the key concerns within Judd’s body of work.
David Zwirner | 525 West 19th Street, New York, New York 10011
• Makers Market An open air marketplace featuring a curated selection of skillfully crafted products. Also check out the workshops for adults and children and the panel discussion throughout the weekend.
Socrates Sculpture Park | 32-01 Vernon Boulevard, Long Island City (Queens), NY 11106
6/24: 11am - 7pm
6/25: 11am - 7pm
6/26: 11am - 5pm
• Stephen Burks: Man Made Stephen Burks: Man Made is The Studio Museum's first-ever industrial design exhibition and Stephen's first solo show in New York City, and features a unique project that furthers the industrial designer's ongoing exploration of the global economy of artisanal craft.
The Studio Museum | 144 West 125th Street, New York, New York 10027
• Wonk Moving Sale Wonk will be moving from its current location in Williamsburg to Clinton Hill. Leases come and go and unfortunately we were unable to renew our lease, but we did find the perfect spot in Clinton hill and are excited to set up shop. In the meantime, we are having a killer moving sale, with 15-35% off all floor models, and 10% off all standard furniture orders so stop by and grab a floor model before it's gone!
Wonk NYC | 160-A North 4th Street, Brooklyn, New York 11211
• Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World) This first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman features a selection spanning thirty years of 100 original paintings, drawings, and sketches shown along with the many ways Kalman's work has entered contemporary culture - in books and magazines, and on commercial products, from clothing to watches. Less widely seen works in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance are also included. Kalman illuminates contemporary life with a profound sense of joy and unique sense of humor. As a context for this survey, Kalman has created a special installation to reveal some source material she has gathered as collector, walker, traveler, reader and maker of lists. Furnished with chairs, ladders and "many tables of many things," this installation offers a view of how she sees the world, both in and outside the studio.
The Jewish Museum | 1109 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10128
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum’s Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
• Human Failure - Illustrations by artist Michael Hsiung Hairy drunken Siamese twins, mystical beasts and mustaches ... they're all present in the very creative work of Michael C. Hsiung. Of Chinese-American descent, Michael is known for his black-and-white ink drawings depicting oddly realistic tales from a time long past. His art features imaginary characters and fantastical creatures; protagonists include mermen in precarious and questionable situations, Victorian athletes and fancy men with dead prey, or imaginary and real animals struggling with their environment.
The Slingluff Gallery, 11 W. Girard Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Nursery Style 101 with Serena & Lily Serena & Lily, the premier linens and homewares company, will be hosting a nursery 101 event at their Sausalito showroom to view the vast array of beautiful crib bedding collections and furnishings. Serena Dugan and Lily Kanter will be present to provide design tips and advice for creating your dream nursery. Plus, save 20% on baby gifts and get a free copy of Nursery Style with any purchase.
Serena & Lily | 10 Liberty Ship Way, Suite 350, Sausalito, California 94965
6/27: 4pm - 7pm
• Greentea Design's Steps and Storage Sale 20% off on all step chests and bookshelves.
Greentea Design | 388 Carlaw Avenue, Suite 200, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4M 2T4
• Designing Tomorrow: America’s World’s Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world’s fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum’s upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America’s World’s Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• Free Summer Saturdays at the Corcoran Join the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design for FREE Summer Saturdays – back by popular demand! This summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend, enjoy free admission to the Gallery, including special exhibitions Chris Martin: Painting Big and Washington Color and Light. Enjoy special programs, Gallery tours, workshops, demonstrations, and performances for all ages.
Corcoran Gallery of Art | 500 17th Street NW, Washington DC 20006
Images: Odegard Rug, The Shade Store, LA Modern Auction, Collier West