Goodbye, February! It's the first of March — one step closer to spring. I think we should all take some time to treat ourselves this weekend. Let's dig into the sales and events list and buy ourselves a little treat or maybe attend a gallery opening. We owe it to ourselves after surviving another winter month. Check out all the sales and events in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and be sure to send us your own sale or event for future editions of the Guide.
Shown above: Abstract Concrete at Heiner Contemporary, Open House at Lucketts Design House, Roller Shades Sale at The Shade Store, The Design Event at Lumens
NATIONAL & ONLINE
- Design House Stockholm Event at Truly Swedish Design Take 10% off all Design House Stockholm products, including custom orders. Save on their popular STEP ladder, that doubles as a piece of art when not in use. Discover their BJÖRK (Birch) Collection created from wool and leather, inviting nature into your home.
Online and in store
- Design Public Knoll Classics Sale Save 15% off select designs from Knoll.
- AllModern Emeco Sale Save 15% on all Emeco designs
- The Shade Store Roller Shades Sale The Shade Store is offering 15% off their roller shades.
- Vermont Woods Studios Winter Dining Sale Save up to 20% on Vermont made dining furniture plus free shipping and a lifetime guarantee.
- Matthew Izzo Winter Sale Get a quick fix for the winter blues with Matthew Izzo's Winter sale save up to 40% on select item. Plus, check out the new collections like the exclusive Hudson yards by Matthew Izzo collection.
- Sky Iris Winter Clearance Sky Iris has moved to a new flagship location in Bay Harbor's Marina District. Their spring cleaning means big savings for the rest of us with up 20-70% off.
- Baker Furniture Spring Sale Save on all Baker products, excluding Fall 2012 introductions.
All Baker Locations
- Lumens The Design Event Save up to 40% on modern favorites including designs from Artemide, FLOS, Tom Dixon, Fritz Hansen, Kartell + more.
- YOLO Colorhouse Paint Samples at HomeDepot.com YOLO Colorhouse paint samples - The Big Chips - are 25% off. The Big Chips are 12" x 16" of pure color; more color, less mess! YOLO Colorhouse paints are low odor and zero VOC.
- Greentea Design's Kitchen and Bath Sale Save 20% on free standing kitchens cabinets and bathroom furniture; and 10% off on custom pieces.
- FLOR Grand Opening Event Join FLOR for the Grand Opening Event celebrating their newest retail store in Texas. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres will be served.
FLOR | 209 West 2nd Street, Austin, Texas 78701
3/7: 6pm - 8pm
- Bloomingdale’s & Alessi Spring Floral Event Bloomingdale’s and Alessi are hosting a Spring Floral Event during the upcoming International Home + Housewares Show. Alessi’s numerous vases will be displayed throughout the Home Store filled with vibrant floral arrangements provided by Michael Gaffney. Alessio Alessi, CEO of Alessi S.p.A. will be present to greet guests and sign Alessi products that are purchased that day.
Bloomingdale’s Home Store | 600 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611
3/2: 1pm - 3pm
- Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Demonstration Day Stop by Nest Vintage Modern for a demonstration day using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. They'll demonstrate basic use on scraps of wood or odd pieces of furniture. If you have a specific project in mind, bring in a pic and we’ll help you with colors and ideas. No RSVP needed. Demos will run all day.
Nest Vintage Modern | 3750 Grand Boulevard, Brookfield, Illinois 60513
3/2: 10am - 6pm
- She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603Through April 2013
- Craftcation Conference 2013 Craftcation is a four-day indie business and DIY conference featuring panel discussions and DIY workshops with leading industry professionals on art, craft and food-centered small business. Craftcation features more than 50 workshops, panels, lectures and events. Workshops are led by over 30 presenters including Kathy Cano-Murillo (Crafty Chica), Cathy Callahan (Cathy of California), Kayte Terry (Applique Your Way), Kari Chapin (Handmade Marketplace), Aida Mollenkamp (The Food Network), Diane Gilleland (CraftyPod), Kelly Lynn Jones (Little Paper Planes), Evan Kleiman (KCRW), Melanie Falick (Abrams Press/STC Craft), Amy Tan (American Crafts) and Lisa Tauber (Chronicle Books).
Registration and workshop schedule
Registration Deadline: 3/1
- Bonita Interiors Grand Opening Join Bonita Interiors for the grand opening of the new independent location. Bonita Interiors features an eclectic mix of mid-century modern, traditional, and ethnic furniture, lighting and artwork.
Bonita Interiors | 16 East Holly Street, Pasadena, California 91105
3/1: 11am - 6pm
- Community Woodshop Community Woodshop is excited to announce the start of Woodworking Classes at their new do-it-yourself woodshop. Take classes taught by master craftsmen (or) become a member and have access to high quality professional tools for a fraction of what it costs to set up your own woodshop. Stop by anytime for a tour and let them help you turn your ideas into reality!
Community Woodshop | 2558 North San Fernando Road, Los Angeles, California 90065
- Glass Mosaic Sale 50% discount on inventory, over 36 colors available.
Walk On Tile | 12353 Wilshire Boulevard, West Los Angeles, California 90025
- George Hurrell: From Laguna to Hollywood Check out this exhibition of photographs from the permanent collection by noted Hollywood glamour photographer George Hurrell (1904–1992). By 1930 Hurrell was the head of the MGM portrait gallery and he was soon dubbed the “Grand Seigneur of the Hollywood Portrait.” This exhibition presents a selection of about forty works.
Laguna Art Museum | 307 Cliff Drive, Laguna Beach, California 92651
2/24 - 4/13
- Aero Winter Sale Up to 40% off rare jewels, trinkets, treasures and gilded curios. 75% off anything with a Christmas tree on it or fashioned from mercury glass. Up to 75% off select decorative accessories. Plus an opportunity to save an additional 25% of already reduced sale merchandise.
Aero | 419 Broome Street, New York, New York 10013
- MoMA Design Store Children's Author Series Amber C. Jones will present her book “New York, Phew York: A Scratch and Sniff Adventure.” The story is told through the eyes of a child on a family vacation. It's an exciting, interactive journey through all of the New York City's neighborhoods, as recommended by a hotel concierge whom the family befriends. All of the books smells are synonymous with the city - both good and bad. From fresh bagels and pizza, to garbage and sewer steam, this book ventures into 19 neighborhoods and uncovers many eclectic scratch-and-sniff scents. Attendees will receive a scratch and sniff bookmark.
MoMA Design Store | 81 Spring Street, New York, New York 10012
3/2: 11am - 12pm
- Amy Azzarito at West Elm Broadway Party down with craft-master Amy Azzarito to celebrate the release of Past & Present: 24 Favorite Moments in Decorative Arts History and 24 Modern DIY Projects Inspired By Them. Stop by West Elm Broadway for food, cocktails, and 10 DIY craft projects from designers including Grace Bonney, Erica Domesek, and Confettisystem!
West Elm | 1870 Broadway, New York, New York 10023
3/7: 6pm - 8pm
- ABC Carpet & Home Bronx Warehouse Sale Furniture, rugs, lighting, decorative pillows and accessories have been reduced up to 60% off, including savings on select items from Mobital, John Reeves and Cobble Hill.ABC Carpet & Home Bronx Warehouse | 1055 Bronx River Avenue, Bronx, New York 104723/2 - 3/17
- Film Biz Recycling Sticker Sale Film Biz Recycling recently launched a50% off sticker sale on select items every Saturday & Sunday!
Film Biz Recycling | 540 President Street, Brooklyn, New York 11215
Saturdays and Sundays: 12pm - 7pm
- East x East From the far-east to the east coast, ABC Carpet & Home is pleased to bring you “East x East,” a premiere exhibition of over 300 Chinese antique rugs dating from the mid 19th century to the early 1930’s. This collection is composed of some of the most unique rugs in the market today. Highly sought after by collectors and consumers alike, Chinese Art Deco rugs of this sort are widely appreciated for their individuality, just as any truly great work of art. For the first time, this assortment of unusual and rare Ninxghia, Peking's, Mongolians Khotans and Art Deco Chinese rugs, will be available for purchase at ABC Carpet & Home. ABC Carpet & Home Antique Rug Gallery | 888 Broadway, 6 Floor, New York, New York 10003
- Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers features a full-scale, 325-square-foot micro-unit with architecture by Amie Gross Architects. Organized in conjunction with Citizens Housing & Planning Council (CHPC), Making Room explores how New York City's changing social, economic, and cultural demographics--especially the rise of single adults--are dramatically changing urban households, and how architecture can help re-shape the city's housing stock for New Yorkers at all phases of their lives.
Museum of the City of New York | 1220 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10029
- Curated Goods Moving to Los Angeles Sale Everything online and in the store is up to 30% off. All clothing, furniture, art, home decor, jewelry and more.
Curated Goods | 421 Fairmount Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
- Bill Walton at Adams and Ollman Amy Adams, in collaboration with John Ollman of Fleisher/Ollman Gallery in Philadelphia, is pleased to announce the opening of Adams and Ollman. The gallery will specialize in 20th century self-taught American artists and contemporary artists whose practices reflect an intuitive influence. Adams and Ollman's inaugural exhibition, a solo presentation of sculptures and drawings by Bill Walton.
Adams and Ollman | 811 East Burnside #213, Portland, Oregon 97214
Opening Reception: 3/1: 6pm - 9pm
Exhibit: Through 4/27
- 4x5 Gallery Grand Opening Located in the Lower Haight and sharing a retail space with Glass Key Photo, co-founders Hung Tran and Gordon Szeto have set out to fulfill a community-based goal for the gallery – to represent Bay Area photographers through curated exhibitions, to act as a marketplace for non-exhibiting photographers and to serve as a local photo networking hub.In celebration of 4x5’s Grand Opening, Tran and Szeto are pleased to present denatured, featuring 19 chromogenic 20”x20” color prints by San Francisco-based photographer and First Exposures Director, Erik Auerbach.
4x5 Gallery | 442 Haight Street, San Francisco, California 94117
Reception: 3/2: 3:30pm - 8:30pm
- Tim Rowan at TRAX Gallery New works by talented ceramic artist Tim Rowan. These are magnificent, handcrafted wood-fired pieces. They are perfectionism from every angle. Also on view, new works by Kiyotsugu & Katsunori, Sawa, father and son artists from Japan.
TRAX Gallery | 1812 5th Street, Berkeley, California 94710
- Taramundi Furniture & Home Decor Free Shipping Free Shipping for San Francisco Bay Area. Solid Wood furniture with rustic elegance!
- Lucketts Design House Open House Imagine putting together an entire house each month — picking out new fixtures, new paint, new furniture, new accessories, and mixed with vintage finds — yes, every 30 days! That's what the girls at the Lucketts Design House do each month; and everything is for sale. All new paint colors, all new furniture, all new accessories, all styled to perfection. This month they are featuring rooms and accents styled for spring.
Lucketts Design House | 42350 Lucketts Road, Leesburg, Virginia 20176
3/1 - 3/3: 10am - 5pm
- Ekster Antiques & Uniques Barn Sale Shop the huge inventory in a beautiful 8,000 square foot 1875 Barn and adjacent buildings. All unique items, old and new from Europe.
Ekster Antiques | 38532 Pheasant Hill Lane, Hamilton, Virginia 20158
3/1 - 3/3: 10am - 5pm
- Women of Architecture: Leers Weinzapfel Associates: Connecting Forward Principals and founders Andrea Leers, FAIA, and Jane Weinzapfel, FAIA, of Boston-based Leers Weinzapfel Associates, explore physical and cultural connections at both the urban and building scales. Robert Ivy, CEO, American Institute of Architects, provides opening remarks. A signing of the firm’s book, Made to Measure: The Work of Leers Weinzapfel Associates, follows the talk. Ticket required.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
3/6: 6:30pm - 8pm
- Opening Reception: Abstract Concrete Heiner Contemporary is pleased to announce Concrete Abstract, a group exhibition curated by Matthew Smith that explores the confluence of abstraction with the everyday, featuring work by Seth Adelsberger, Lisa Dillin, Jeremy Flick, Steven Frost, Sue Johnson, Becca Kallem, Patrick McDonough, Danielle Mysliwiec, and Matthew Smith.
Heiner Contemporary | 1675 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20007
Opening Reception: 3/1: 6pm - 8pm
Exhibit: Through 4/20
- The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
- Maxalto 2013 Floor Model Sale Maxalto, part of the B&B Italia family of contemporary Italian designs, is excited to announce their new partnership with Boffi, joining their showroom in the heart of Georgetown.
Boffi | 3320 M St NW, Washington, DC 20007
- Nordic Cool 2013: Nordic Design Illustrated This exhibition, presenting a range of design, craft, and industrial products from throughout the Nordic region, aims to highlight aspects of Nordic contemporary design in all its forms, and its ubiquitous nature in daily life.
The Kennedy Center | 2700 F Street, NW Washington, DC 20566