Our weekly list of carefully curated sales and events can help you no matter where you live. Click below for our massive list of craft and art fairs, deals at national retailers, local floor sample and warehouse sales, holiday gift marts, seasonal flea markets, not-to-be-missed museum exhibitions, showhouses and home & design-centric lectures and discussions. Pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Knoll Classics Sale The leading designer and manufacturer of branded furniture products and textiles has announced that its iconic collection of furniture will be available at a 15% discount at over 100 stores in both the United States and Canada including YLiving, DWR and Vastu.
2/28 - 3/6
• Studio North Design Winter Sale Save 20% off shelf boards from the Block and Boards Shelving Collection. Plus, enjoy free shipping on orders over $150.
• Spring Cleaning Sale Shelfwire.com is having a spring cleaning and organizing sale with 20% off store wide. Design your own chrome shelving and storage furniture with the interactive shelving designer.
• Lightology Venetia Studium Sale 10% off Venetia Studium, a line of handmade glass and silk chandeliers, wall sconces and floor lamps inspired by Mariano Fortuny and crafted in Italy.
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• John Brooks: A Collaboration with Nature An exhibition of forty works by the nationally recognized New Hampshire sculptor and furniture maker.
Currier Museum of Art | 150 Ash Street, Manchester, New Hampshire 03104
3/19 - 6/12
• Apartment Therapy Design Evening Kristin FitzGerrell with Studio 22 RSVP
Design Within Reach | 2049 Broadway, Boulder, Colorado 80302
• Chicago Flower and Garden Show See what's new in the world of flowers, hang around for a "potting party", or attend one of the education seminars at this annual event.
Navy Pier | 600 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611
3/5 - 3/13
• Outdoor Living: Creating a Garden Room Now that spring is approaching, it's time to plan for outdoor living. Your garden, deck or patio may lack the elements that make it comfortable and inviting. To get more use from your outdoor spaces, learn the basic steps to create a garden room using landscape materials that represent the elements of a room such as walls, windows and doors. The characteristics of the space, coupled with your style and physical and emotional preferences, will suggest how you can create a garden room that invites you outdoors and creates a space for a private retreat or a welcoming place to entertain. REGISTER
Chicago Architecture Foundation | 224 S. Michigan Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60604
3/12: 10am - 12pm
• Jayson Home & Garden Sale Save 20% on all upholstered furniture, including customer orders and all the new spring sofas, chairs, ottomans, and beds.
Jayson Home and Garden | 1885 North Clybourn, Chicago, Illinois 60614
• Organic Fruit & Vegetable Gardening Class Learn to grow fruits and vegetables organically! This class focuses on Spring Crops and Companion Planting, Spring Weeds and Insects, Spring Disease ID, Treatment and Prevention, Planting Bare Root Fruit Trees and Grape Vines, Wrangling Wild Potatoes, Soil Fertility and Cover Crops, Organic Labeling, Sustainability in the Kitchen.
The Arboretum | 301 North Baldwin Avenue, Arcadia, California 91007
3/5: 12pm - 4pm
• Modern Art & Design Auction Los Angeles Modern Auctions presents this auction featuring Ettore Sottsass designs from the Estate of Max Palevsky. Additional highlights will include important sculpture by Harry Bertoia, Reg Butler, Tony Rosenthal, Vasa, and Man Ray.
Los Angeles Modern Auctions | 16145 Hart Street, Van Nuys, California 91406
PREVIEW 2/25 - 3/5: 10am - 6pm
AUCTION 3/6: 12pm
• Cloud Noir Spring Sale Take 25% off all farmhouse dining tables and benches.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Exhibition and Sale of Treasures from the Personal Collections of Jack Lenor Larsen Jack Lenor Larsen is a world-renowned innovator in fabric design and its technologies whose colors, materials and weaves established the standards for superlative modern textiles and have become synonymous with modern 20th century design at its pinnacle of style and sophistication. The event will showcase exceptional tribal rugs, ethnographic textiles, decorative arts, pottery, modern crafts, basketry & books chosen by Mr. Larsen himself. There will be 50+ items available ranging from $400 to $13,000 in price.
The Wild Horses of Sable Island Gallery | 13 Crosby Street, New York, New York 10013
PREVIEW 3/10: 6pm - 9pm
SALE 3/11 - 3/12: 12pm - 6pm
• Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen Counter Space explores the twentieth-century transformation of the kitchen and highlights MoMA's recent acquisition of an unusually complete example of the iconic "Frankfurt Kitchen," designed in 1926–27 by the architect Grete Schütte-Lihotzky.
MoMA | 11 West 53rd Street, New York, New York 10019
• Patrick Jouin: From Kitchen to Table @ MAD The first solo exhibition at an American museum of the work of this prolific 42-year-old French designer.
Museum of Arts & Design | 2 Columbus Circle, New York, New York 10019
• Tim Groen Solo Exhibition Ivy Brown Gallery is pleased to announce artist/designer Tim Groen's second solo exhibition with the gallery. Using captions that clarify illustrations in books, Tim Groen has been creating an ongoing series of collages, titled "Captions." Hand cutting each letter, using a font based on a 19th century wood type, he mounts the descriptive texts on identically sized boards.
Ivy Brown Gallery | 675 Hudson Street, New York, New York 10014
3/3 - 4/22
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
• Back Home to the Future Exposition ModVic's Back Home To The Future Exposition is an exhibition of some of the finest and most talented artists, builders, craftspeople and innovative companies in the world who offer Modern Victorian Functional Appliances, Victorian and Industrial Decor, Steampunk Art, Infused Technology, Invention and Design for your period or newer home.
Philadelphia Expo Center | 100 Station Avenue, Oaks, Pennsylvania 19456
3/4 - 3/6
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• SFDC Sample Sale The San Francisco Design Center in conjunction with some of the Bay Area's most talented designers and antique dealers are holding their annual sample sale. Get up to 70% off from participating showrooms as well as shop from over 12 Bay area designers and antique dealers who will set up shop in the Atrium for the weekend.
San Francisco Design Center | 101 Henry Adams Street, San Francisco, California 94103
3/12: 10am - 5pm
3/13: 10am - 4pm
• Apartment Therapy Design Evening At St. Louis' premiere Design Evening, Phil Durham, architect and founder of Studio/Durham Architects will present, "Beyond Cookie Cutter Design: Using Custom Made Furniture To Create Spectacular Spaces." RSVP
Centro Modern Furnishings | 4727 McPherson Avenue Saint Louis, Missouri 63108
• Philbrook Museum of Art's American Streamlined Design Exhibition Philbrook Museum of Art will open American Streamlined Design: The World of Tomorrow, focusing on a design era that emerged during the 1930s and 1940s, characterized by curving forms, and smooth, clean silhouettes. Over 185 objects in diverse new materials, from Bakelite to stainless steel, are organized thematically around the spheres of American life in the 1930s-50s: the office and workroom, the living room, kitchen, and bath, recreation and transportation. A final section, Streamlining Now, looks at how streamlining still affects design today.
Philbrook Musuem of Art | 2727 South Rockford Road, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74114
• Apartment Therapy Design Evening Lauren Liess of The Pure Style RSVP
Sukio Design Co. | 1712 14th Street NW, Washington DC
• Washington Color and Light @ Corcoran Showcasing significant works by artists associated with the Washington Color School of the 1950s-1970s and their contemporaries. Drawn exclusively from the Corcoran's collection, the works showcase the museum's extensive collection of Color School paintings and sculpture including galleries devoted to monumental paintings by Gene Davis and Thomas Downing.
Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design | 500 Seventeenth Street NW, Washington DC 20006
• Orchids: A View From the East Orchids have been a part of Chinese culture for many centuries, permeating Chinese history, legends, literature and art. Since ancient times, orchids have been celebrated in China for their beauty and fragrance, and appreciated as symbols of nobility, friendship and refinement. The exhibition reflects
these themes and introduces visitors to long-standing traditions and contemporary trends in Chinese orchid culture.
Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History | 10th Street and Constitution Avenue, Washington, DC 20560
1/29 - 4/4
• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world's fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum's upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
Send it to us. We publish every week: