If you're short on plans for the weekend, take a look at this week's guide! From pop-up shops and vintage/craft shows to home tours and lectures, there's plenty to choose from this week's list. And of course there's no shortage of sales, either! Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Clever Tomato's Ayers Promotion Package With every purchase of the Ayres Twin bed, trundle, nightstand and guard rails, receive a savings of $291.00. This offer is available in three finishes: birch, ebony and white.
• The "That's So Potted" Contest Show off your favorite container planting and you could win a $500 Shopping Spree at Potted. If you shop at Potted, you know how much they love to plant containers. They thought it would be cool to see what you all came up with so they are holding their first contest ever. Open to anyone in the Continental US.
• Mizzonk Multiples Sale Mizzonk, an award winning design studio in Canada, is offering discounts when you buy in multiples. Close to 50% savings!
• Lightology Leucos Sale 30% off entire Leucos line of pendants, chandeliers, floor and table lamps, wall sconces and more!
• Baker Furniture More is More Sale Baker Furniture stores, showrooms, and dealers are having a "more is more" sale. The more you spend on upholstery and the Milling Road Collection, the higher the savings! Spend $3,000 and save 5%, spend $5,000 and save 10%, and spend $10,000 to save 15%.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• FLAIR & One Kings Lane Tastemakers Tag Sale
SoHO home store FLAIR is partnerning with One Kings Lane next week for a Tastemakers tag sale. This is the first time FLAIR's famous sales have been available nationally.
Starts 5/17 at 8pm through 5/22
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• John Brooks: A Collaboration with Nature An exhibition of forty works by the nationally recognized New Hampshire sculptor and furniture maker.
Currier Museum of Art | 150 Ash Street, Manchester, New Hampshire 03104
• Circle Furniture Comfort Plus Promo Choose a free recliner accessory with the purchase of any Stressless recliner and ottoman. Plus, save $300 on the Stressless Sunrise in select color.
All Circle Furniture locations
• Merchandise Mart Outdoor Furniture Sample Sale The Merchandise Mart is opening its doors to the public and designers for the three-day Outdoor Furniture Sample Sale filled with outdoor home furnishings and accessories at up to 75% off. Find samples of outdoor dining sets, seating groups, lounge chairs, accessories and more. Plus, work with many showrooms to place custom orders at a reduced price through the Designer On Call program. With summer quickly approaching, take advantage of this extraordinary shopping experience featuring quality outdoor furnishings and accessories to enhance your outdoor living space!
The Merchandise Mart | 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza, Chicago, Illinois 60654
5/12 - 5/14
• Revision Home May Vintage Event Revision Home presents its May vintage event with a warehouse full of new vintage inventory for the home. From Mad Men chic to farmhouse industrial, and everything in between. Featuring a pop-up shop from online fashion boutique twentythirtyforty.net and a new locally-designed line of wallpaper from Urban Source.
Revision Home | 2132 West Fulton, Chicago, Illinois 60612
5/13 - 5/14
• The Vintage Bazaar The Vintage Bazaar returns for another year of shopping fun. This pop-up, curated urban flea market features modern vintage home decor, furniture, clothing and accessories from 50 Midwestern dealers. Plus, enjoy DJ entertainment by the Chicago Independent Radio Project (CHIRP) and concessions by Bleeding Heart Bakery and Goose Island Catering.
The Vintage Bazaar | 2229 South Halsted Street, Chicago, Illinois 60608
5/14: 12pm - 6pm
• Casting for New Kitchen Makeover Show Flesh-colored countertops, outdated cabinets, dingy, cracking flooring. If that's your kitchen, you may just be the perfect candidate for a new kitchen makeover television program from Emmy-winning production company Magnetic Productions, the team behind shows such as the Travel Channel's "Relic Hunter" and "BATHtastic!" on the DIY Network. Producers are looking for "fun, outgoing, enthusiastic homeowners" who want to have their kitchen remodeled for free on the show. INFORMATION
• Eichler Home Tour and Lecture Enjoy a rare opportunity to tour 6 Eichler homes in the San Fernando Valley's Balboa Highlands area. TICKETS
Balboa Highlands, San Fernando Valley, California
• Living Room's Staying in Business Sale Help this purveyor of locally custom-made and vintage furniture and accessories stay in business and save a little money at the same time! All merchandise, including custom orders, will be 20% - 50% off.
Living Room | 3531 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90026
5/14 - 5/15
• Patchwork Indie Arts and Crafts Festival The popular Southern California indie arts & crafts fair Patchwork is returning for it's fifth year. The brainchild of local designers and store owners Nicole Stevenson and Delilah Snell, Patchwork celebrates local handmade goods and gives Orange County residents a place to sell and shop for unique goods. Shop booths brimming with creations from nearly 100 local independent arts, designers, crafters, restaurants and more, including clothing for men, women & kids, accessories, home goods, pet items, jewelry, soaps, candles and much more!
Marine Stadium | 5255 Paoli Way, Long Beach, California 90803
5/15: 11am - 5pm
• Brick + Haus Vintage Modern Sale It's a Brick House + Modernhaus + Terri Planty pop-up shop extravaganza! There will be mid century, Danish, regency, retro, vintage and modern furniture & accessories — plus custom terrariums galore to make your home a little more full of awesome stuff.
Elephant | 3325 Division Street, Los Angeles, California 90065
5/15: 12pm - 5pm
• Ve ≠ SaMo: Architectural Juxtapositions The American Institute of Architects, Los Angeles Chapter, invites you to explore two cities and come up with your own conclusions, at least in regard to architecture and design, about Venice and Santa Monica in the next edition of their Spring 2011 Home Tours: Ve=/SaMo (Venice is not Santa Monica). Featuring beautiful homes in Venice and Santa Monica by Los Angeles's leading architects and designers, highlights include visits to minimalist modern beach homes, homes on the cutting edge of sustainable technology and a beautiful Santa Monica home built around the clients spiritual needs. TICKETS
AIA|LA | 3780 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90010
5/15: 11am - 4pm
• Cloud Noir Spring Table Sale Take 25% off all dining room tables.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Mortise & Tenon Floor Model Sale Giant floor model sale to make room for the new summer collections. Save 15% to 50% on handcrafted furniture.
Mortise & Tenon | 446 South La Brea, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Frank Lloyd Wright: Organic Architecture for the 21st Century Experience over 150 objects designed by "America's greatest architect," Frank Lloyd Wright. Featuring thirty-three never-before-shown drawings by the Wisconsin legend, as well as rare home movies, see the man you thought you knew in a whole new light.
Milwaukee Art Museum | 700 North Art Museum Drive, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
• A Printmaking Workshop + Book Signing West Elm presents a printmaking workshop and book signing with DIY savvy designer Christine Schmidt of the San Francisco Design Studio Yellow Owl Workshop. Join us for a hands-on stamp carving and hand-printing class. Afterwards, Christine will sign copies of her new book, Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques + Truly Original Projects.
West Elm | 1870 Broadway, New York, New York 10023
5/14: 4pm - 7pm
• Michael Hennessy Home Anniversary Sale In celebration of one year in business, Michael Hennessy Home is offering 20-40% off floor model furniture. Select art and design accents will also be marked down during this special celebration sale. Many solid wood, one-of-a-kind floor model dining tables, desks, chairs, and consoles are significantly reduced. Select pillows, art, vases, decorative items and jewelry are also marked down for major savings.
Michael Hennessy Home | 207 West 18th St., New York, NY 10011
• The DwellStudio Sample Sale Save up to 70% on baby gear, kid stuff, bedding, accessories and more.
DwellStudio | 60 Grand Street, New York, New York 10013
5/12 - 5/15
• Madeline Weinrib NY Sample Sale Madeline Weinrib will host a rare New York City sample sale this year at ABC Carpet & Home. The sale boasts 40-70% off original prices on the designer's collection of carpets, pillows, and accessories from current and previous seasons. The wide selection of Madeline Weinrib's highly-coveted carpet designs, will include the designer's iconic Mandala, Brooke, and Megan patterns all produced in one-of-a-kind and/or archived colorways. In addition, Weinrib's vibrant ikat and blockprint pillows as well as fabric yardage will be available, providing a unique opportunity to pick up her most sought-after, limited edition textile motifs.
ABC Carpet & Home | 888 Broadway, New York, New York 10003
5/12 - 5/16
• Gandia Blasco New Showroom Preview Gandia Blasco is opening in SoHo with a preview party weekend. Check out the new Na Xemena Special Edition collection, including new colors: white, bronze, sand and tobacco.
Gandia Blasco | 52 Greene street, New York, New York 10013
5/13 - 5/16
• Jensen-Lewis Spring Clearance Event Jensen-Lewis is heavily discounting new and old stock and floor model samples to allow space for the introduction of new collections. Products from American Leather, Gamma, Incanto, Calligaris, Natuzzi Italy, Creative Elegance, Jesse and more will be on display and priced to move between 30 and 70% off. Over 50 pieces will be available at a deep discount for this limited time clearance event at the 7th Avenue location.
Jensen-Lewis | 89 7th Avenue, New York, New York 10011
• Design Destinations Event at Property Property invites you to join the celebration and exploration of new design destinations. Enjoy cocktails and music by DJ Brion as you are presented the designs of London, Milano, New York and Vienna.
Property | 14 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10013
5/16: 6pm - 9pm
• SFERRA Luxury Linens Sample Sale Save up to 70% off retail on down comforters and pillows, blankets, sheets, duvet covers, matelasse, decorative throws, decorative pillows, table linens, towels, bathrobes, and more.
The Prive @ Chelsea Market | 75 9th Avenue, New York, New York 10011
5/18 - 5/22
• Kips Bay Decorator Show House The most high profile renovation project in the country will take up residence in an Upper East Side mansion. The striking, neo-Federalist style residence was once owned by John Hay "Jock" Whitney and boasts unique historic details acquired during his travels abroad. Each of the 16 rooms in the four-story, 10,000-square-foot mansion will delight design enthusiasts and anyone looking for decorating inspiration. TICKETS
Whitney Residence | 163 East 63rd Street, New York, New York 10065
• Vitsoe Exhibition: 60's 606 is 50 Designed back in 1960 by a 28-year-old Dieter Rams, the 606 Universal Shelving System has achieved an important milestone: 50 years of continuous production by Vitsoe. In celebration, the NY Vitsoe Shop will have a month long exhibition on display called "60's 606 is 50". The exhibition includes rare examples of the shelving system and how it has evolved over time. These piece are juxtaposed with the shelving system of today to show differences of detail but also that it is very much the same species.
Vitsoe Shop | 33 Bond Street, New York, New York 10012
5/2 - 5/28
• Kalatay Closing Clearance In celebration of the retirement of Mirza A. Kalaty, Kalaty Rug Corp. will open its private showroom to the public for the first time. You'll find savings between 50% and 75% off original prices of the company's vast collection of the finest quality Oriental rugs.
Kalatay | 443 Park Avenue South, New York, New York 10016
• Donald Judd Exhibition David Zwirner is pleased to present an exhibition of works by Donald Judd drawn from the artist's seminal 1989 exhibition held at the Staatliche Kunsthalle Baden-Baden, Germany. Spanning both of the gallery's viewing spaces, the works on view will be re-installed in accordance to the artist's original intentions, and the exhibition will comprise a focused investigation of the key concerns within Judd's body of work.
David Zwirner | 525 West 19th Street, New York, New York 10011
• Stephen Burks: Man Made Stephen Burks: Man Made is The Studio Museum's first-ever industrial design exhibition and Stephen's first solo show in New York City, and features a unique project that furthers the industrial designer's ongoing exploration of the global economy of artisanal craft.
The Studio Museum | 144 West 125th Street, New York, New York 10027
• Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World) This first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman features a selection spanning thirty years of 100 original paintings, drawings, and sketches shown along with the many ways Kalman's work has entered contemporary culture - in books and magazines, and on commercial products, from clothing to watches. Less widely seen works in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance are also included. Kalman illuminates contemporary life with a profound sense of joy and unique sense of humor. As a context for this survey, Kalman has created a special installation to reveal some source material she has gathered as collector, walker, traveler, reader and maker of lists. Furnished with chairs, ladders and "many tables of many things," this installation offers a view of how she sees the world, both in and outside the studio.
The Jewish Museum | 1109 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10128
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Introducing Asian Contemporary Arts Consortium Asian Contemporary Arts Consortium San Francisco, a not-for-profit coalition of curators, designers, museum directors, gallery owners, educators and collectors, will have its public launch at artMRKT San Francisco. San Francisco based artist Imin Yeh has created DIY Corporate Conference Swag, a limited edition downloadable project, to kick off the launching of ACAC-SF. During the fair hours, please join us to make your own conference souvenirs which are composed of a pen and pencil set, a bottle opener keychain and a mug.
Concourse Exhibition Center | 620 7th Street, San Francisco, California 94103
5/19: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
5/20: 11am - 7pm
5/21: 11am - 7pm
5/22: 11am - 6pm
• Philbrook Museum of Art's American Streamlined Design Exhibition Philbrook Museum of Art will open American Streamlined Design: The World of Tomorrow, focusing on a design era that emerged during the 1930s and 1940s, characterized by curving forms, and smooth, clean silhouettes. Over 185 objects in diverse new materials, from Bakelite to stainless steel, are organized thematically around the spheres of American life in the 1930s-50s: the office and workroom, the living room, kitchen, and bath, recreation and transportation. A final section, Streamlining Now, looks at how streamlining still affects design today.
Philbrook Musuem of Art | 2727 South Rockford Road, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74114
• Ekster Antiques Barn Sale Event Ekster Antiques will open their historic 8,000 square-foot former dairy barn in Hamilton, Virginia to sell European, Belgian and Scandinavian-style antiques, furniture, & home accessories.
Ekster Antiques | 38532 Pheasant Hill Lane, Hamilton, Virginia 20158
5/13 - 5/15
• Bravos Groundbreaking Spanish Design Bravos introduces American audiences to new works by some of the most talented and successful young Spanish industrial designers living today. The exhibition features 21 designers from throughout Spain, including internationally renowned Jaime Hayon and Patricia Urquiola, experimental and innovative Curro Claret and Nacho Carbonell, as well as established designers Martin Azua, Marti Guixe and Antoni Arola. The works portray a remarkable diversity of styles and techniques representing the best product design from the Spanish Design Boom.
American University Art Museum at the Katzen Center | 4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20016
• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world's fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum's upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
Send it to us. We publish every week: