The first real taste of summer is here - it just feels like time to let off a little steam and get out there and enjoy. In today's calendar, we've got a full roster of ways to make the most of the weekend AND possibly pick up a few goodies for your home at the same time. Happy (finally!) May, everyone!
Image above, clockwise: De-Cor
, Ligne Roset
, Judy Ross
NATIONAL & ONLINE
- BrickBox Sale at ModMobili This is the only time BrickBox items will be in sale this year. Place your order and receive 10% cash back.
- Vermont Woods Studios Spring Shaker Furniture Sale Spring time savings of up to 20% on fine Vermont made Shaker Style furniture for every room in the home.
- Twofold Mother's Day Promotion 20% off all items.
- Greentea Design's Rustic Collection Launch Sale It's Greentea Design's 15th anniversary. To celebrate, they're giving customers 20% off on the newly launched Rustic Collection.
- Ankasa Introduction Sale Ankasa, the home décor line from Sachin + Babi Ahluwalia, launched e-commerce on their website and to celebrate they're offering 20% off sitewide.
- Comma Workshop Limited Edition Collection Sale Comma Workshop's Limited Edition Quilt Collection designed with award winning writer, Jody Jenkins, is coming to an end! Enjoy 40% off these special typography quilts before they retire the collection forever.
- SOBU Fifteen Sale The entire SOBU Spring collection is 15% off. SOBU's eclectic, modern bohemian styling adds a little special something to every room of the house. Reclaimed, recycled, formaldehyde-free and absolutely no flame retardants used in the any of SOBU's designs.
- Hivernage Moroccan Wedding Blanket Sale Hivernage, an online marketplace for exotic finds from Marrakech, is offering 10% - 50% off all Moroccan Wedding Blankets and related accessories. These coveted pieces are sought after by interior designers and collectors and are a versatile piece in any style interior.
- Lightology "May Blooms" Sale With spring in full bloom and summer just around the corner, May is the perfect time to brighten up indoor and outdoor spaces, with up to 42% savings at Lightology. Edge Outdoor Lighting & Wall Sconces are 30% off list price, and all Access Outdoor lighting is 28% off list.
Online and in store
- Ligne Roset Togo Sale In honor of the 40th anniversary of their popular and iconic Togo, all products in the Togo collection, in any of their 899 fabrics and leathers, are 20% off.
- An Orange Moon Turns 4 There will be tequila, cake, music, dancing and a stage show in celebration of An Orange Moon's 4th birthday. Get your Chakra cleansed by Chiara Snowdancer, and vibe as AOM features Chicago's own Brandon Markell Holmes onstage in the "Orange Room."
An Orange Moon | 2418 W North ave. Chicago, IL 60647
5/3: 6pm - 10pm
- AIA Chicago Small Projects Awards The American Institute of Architects Chicago (AIA Chicago) will announce its 2013 Small Projects Awards winners at this evening event. The winners range from penthouse apartments and ultra-cool office spaces to historic transformations and Dadaesque tables. The third annual program is helping raise public awareness of the value architects bring to even the smallest works — and to promote small architectural firms as a resource for design excellence.
Architectural Artifacts | 4325 North Ravenswood Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60625
5/3: 5pm - 8:30pm
- Humboldt House Furniture Shop Grand Opening Party Humboldt House offers a thoughtful collection of furniture and goods from all eras that focus on beauty and smart design. In addition to a retail space, Humboldt House has a workshop in back. They make a lot of their own furniture on site and always welcome custom projects and build outs.
Humboldt House | 1045 North California, Chicago, Illinois 60622
5/3: 6pm - 11pm
- Chicago Flea MKT One of a kind, independent artists, designers and culinary talent - coupled with curated vintage and re-furbished collections. Some of the Midwest's most talented artisans, all in one place, all in open-air.
A.N. Pritzker School | 2009 West Schiller Street, Chicago, Illinois 60622
5/5: 10am - 5pm
- Berwyn Bikes & Bungalows The City of Homes Organization and the Berwyn Active Transportation Committee announce the second annual Berwyn Bikes and Bungalows bike ride event. The bike ride will highlight several of Berwyn’s kit homes and Chicago-style bungalow homes and seek to educate the community about new bike lanes and paths. Berwyn Bikes and Bungalows, the first event of its kind in the Chicagoland area, also will coincide with Bungalow Appreciation Week. The family friendly event, which begins and ends at Cigars and Stripes on historic Route 66, will feature two separate rides. The first ride is a leisurely six-mile bike ride with intermittent stops to discuss the rich history of several bungalows as well as the Berwyn Active Transportation Plan, which aims to improve the city’s walking and biking environment. The second, concurrent ride, is a 25 mile self-guided tour of the Chicago area bungalow belt, stretching from Berwyn to Portage Park on Chicago’s northwest side. A post-tour celebration, including food and entertainment, will conclude the event. Tickets required.
Berwyn Bikes & Bungalows | 6715 W Ogden Avenue, Berwyn, Illinois 60402
5/4: 8:30am - 1pm
- Land of Nod Chicago 10th Birthday Party Celebrate the Chicago store's 10th birthday with a day full of events, including magicians, Tattly temporary tattoo station, performances and food trucks.
Land of Nod | 900 West North Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
5/4: 10:30am - 5pm
- Outdoor Furniture Sample Sale at The Merchandise Mart More than 25 Outdoor Furniture showrooms at the Design Center at The Merchandise Mart will open its doors to the public for the latest in outdoor furniture and accessories at up to 75% off. Shop hundreds of products including Outdoor Dining Sets, Seating and Accessories from world renowned brands. Plus, work with many showrooms to place custom orders through the Designer-On-Call program.
The Merchandise Mart | 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza, Floors 14, 15, 16, Chicago, Illinois 60654
5/8 - 5/10
- Stark Home Warehouse Sale Take advantage of this opportunity to shop at America’s finest “to the trade” home furnishings showroom. Save up to 75 percent off regular prices on carpets, area rugs, fabric and wallcoverings. Shop over 100,000 square feet of designer merchandise. A percentage of the proceeds are donated to DIFFA – the Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS of Chicago which is known for their annual Dining by Design dinner and Garden Gala.
Stark Home | 225 West Hubbard Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
- Chicago Luxury Bed + Hastens' "Let Nature In" Event Chicago Luxury Beds' popular Hästens trade up event is back. In celebration of spring and their all-natural materials, the theme of this year's promotion is "Let Nature In." Shoppers can trade in their old bed for and will receive a 10% credit on an all-natural handcrafted Hästens continental bed.
Chicago Luxury Bed | 440 North Wells Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
- Estate Liquidation Sale Two Amazing estates will be liquidated. Club chairs, sofas, outdoor seating, lamps, lounge furniture, paintings, chandeliers, deco figurines and sculpture, coffee tables, mirrors, ottomans and more.
Estate Sale | 1051 1/2 South Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90019
5/4 - 5/5: 10am - 5pm
- De-cor Spring Sale The chill of winter is now gone so welcome the sweetness of spring at De-cor with a Spring sale. Featuring up to 50% off beautiful and colorful lighting fixtures and up to 30% off luxurious textiles.
De-cor | 30 South San Gabriel Boulevard, Pasadena, California 91107
- Legends of La Cienega 2013 Time Capsule: The Past, Present & Future of Design Join top national shelter editors, bloggers and interior designers for the West Coast's premier annual design event. The La Cienega Design Quarter's 5th annual Legends of La Cienega will feature more than 40 top interior designers from around the country designing showroom windows, as well as book signings, keynote and panel discussions, and parties. Registration for most events is free and open to the public.
LCDQ | North La Cienega Blvd & Melrose Place, Los Angeles, California 90069
5/8 - 5/10
- Madeline Weinrib + The Society of MSKCC Charity Sample Sale Madeline Weinrib will transform The Society of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Thrift Shop into a buzzing design destination for her first-ever Charity Sample Sale, benefiting The Society of MSKCC’s leading patient care, education and research programs. Madeline Weinrib pillows, carpets, accessories and more will be available at 40 to 70 percent off retail prices.
The Society of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Thrift Shop | 1440 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10028
5/3 - 5/5
- Oliver Jeffers at MoMA Design Store Oliver Jeffers presents This Moose Belongs to Me, The Hueys, and Lost and Found at the MoMA Design Store. Jeffers is an artist, designer, illustrator, and writer from Northern Ireland. His work employs mixed media and is recognized for its subtle narrative and use of space in composition. His book Lost and Found was made into an animated film by London-based studio AKA and was screened on Channel 4, a British public-service television broadcaster. Ages 4 to 8.
MoMA Design Store | 81 Spring Street, New York, New York 10012
5/4: 11am - 12pm
- Judy Ross Sample Sale 40% - 70% off pillows, rugs and fabric by the yard.
Judy Ross Textiles | 22 East 17th Street, Suite 536, New York, New York 10003
- Spring Crafts at Lyndhurst The Hudson Valley's most popular craft show returns to Tarrytown for its 29th year. Discover the unique designs and creative artistry of over 275 leading artists and craftspeople, from across the country, as they exhibit, sell and talk about their contemporary handcrafted works of art. The show includes one-of-a-kind and limited edition jewelry, fashion and accessories, furniture, and home décor pieces, as well as functional and sculptural work in ceramics, glass, metal, painting, photography, wood and mixed media.
Spring Crafts at Lyndhurst | 635 South Broadway, Tarrytown, New York 10591
5/3 - 5/5
- Doris Leslie Blau Annual Spring Rug Sale 40% off all luxurious and rare antique and vintage area, runner and room-sized rugs that include Persian: Tabriz, Kirman, Sultanabad; Indian: Agra and Amritsar Turkish: Oushak; Chinese, and Samarkand.
Doris Leslie Blau Gallery | 306 East 61st Street, 7th Floor, New York, New York 10065
- Counter Editions Pop-Up Shop at the New Museum Counter Editions, the leading UK affordable online art retailer, is to launch in the US with a dedicated US website and a new series of limited editions by renowned New York based artists. Counter Editions will promote the New York launch with a pop-up shop at the New Museum Store, where all the new editions will be on display and available for purchase.
New Museum Store | 235 Bowery, New York, New York 10002
5/8 - 5/12
- Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers Making Room: New Models for Housing New Yorkers features a full-scale, 325-square-foot micro-unit with architecture by Amie Gross Architects. Organized in conjunction with Citizens Housing & Planning Council (CHPC), Making Room explores how New York City's changing social, economic, and cultural demographics—especially the rise of single adults—are dramatically changing urban households, and how architecture can help re-shape the city's housing stock for New Yorkers at all phases of their lives.
Museum of the City of New York | 1220 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10029
- Mentoring Courtney Love: David LaChapelle and Courtney Love The concept of mentoring is one not often associated with the contemporary art world. Yet artist Courtney Love, best known as a musician, credits artist and photographer David LaChapelle with mentoring her as a visual artist. Love's work, featured in this exhibition, are all works on paper. They are executed in a combination of pastel, watercolor, graphite, colored pencil, charcoal, acrylic, and marker. The works on view are all portraits, including some self-portraits, and this is where we see the relationship between her work and that of her mentor David LaChapelle.
Lyman Allen Art Museum | 625 Williams Street, New London, Connecticut 06320
Exhibit: Through 8/10
- Mid-Century Furniture Warehouse Public Sale Over 5,000 square feet of Mid-Century and Scandinavian furniture, art, and lighting at below wholesale prices. Open to the public for 3 hours only.
Mid-Century Furniture Warehouse | 1701 North 2nd Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122
5/5: 12pm - 3pm
- San Francisco Botanical Garden’s 46th Annual Spring Plant Sale Looking for something uncommon for your garden? Having a hard time finding plants that thrive in your microclimate? San Francisco Botanical Garden’s Annual Spring Plant Sale is back for its 46th year with over 20,000 plants representing 2,500 different varieties, many of which are rare and hard to find.
San Francisco Botanical Garden | 1199 9th Avenue, San Francisco, California 94122
5/4: 10am - 2pm
- Urban Air Market Returning for a triumphant ninth year, Urban Air Market rolls into the Hayes Valley neighborhood of San Francisco for a day of design, shopping and community connection. Featuring over 130 designers, many of them vending at a fair for the first time, Urban Air Market is on the cutting edge of design trends and eco-friendly goods. Urban Air's mission is to bring truly sustainable, local, and well designed products to the people of San Francisco.
Urban Air Market | Hayes and Octavia, San Francisco, California 94102
5/5: 11am - 6pm
- Kiss That Frog Spring Warehouse Sale Annual spring public sale of European theme ceramics, glassware, home linens and French Cutlery 50% to 80% off retail.
Kiss That Frog | 2310 4th Street, Berkeley, California 94710
5/4 - 5/5
- Nantucket Home Spring Sale Stop by Nantucket Home and save up to 30% on all special order furniture, upholstery, area rugs, fabrics, window treatments & bedding.
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway, Chico, California 95928
- "Photographs" at March March presents "Photographs," an exhibition of Paulette Tavormina's still lifes - lush photographs of food and flora, reminiscent of 17th century Old Master paintings.
March | 3075 Sacramento Street, San Francisco, California 94115
- David Iatesta Annual Sample Sale Save 50% - 85% off showroom samples, including antiques, accessories, furniture, lighting and textiles.
David Iatesta | 216 Log Canoe Circle, Stevensville, Maryland 21666
5/3: 10am - 5pm
5/4: 10am - 1pm
- Lucketts Design House Open House Tour a century old farmhouse completely redecorated each month where everything is for sale. Tons of new finds, including furniture lighting, & new accessories for spring.
Lucketts Design House | 42350 Lucketts Road, Leesburg, Virginia 20176
5/3 - 5/5: 10am - 5pm
- Smart Growth: A Perspective on Urban Transformation in the Digital Age How do we power a community’s transformation from mediocrity to excellence, from surviving to thriving, or from apathy to engagement? Ed Walker, founder and CEO of ReGeneration Partners, LLC, and CityWorks, LLC, outlines the roles of design, real property, capitalism, and interdisciplinary social entrepreneurship in evaluating our built and natural environments. Registration required.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
5/6: 12:30pm - 1:30pm
- Talk & Book Signing: The Just Right Home Designer and author of The Just Right Home, Marianne Cusato explores the evolution of the American dream home−past, present, and future. Cusato will look at the variables that influence the decisions we make regarding our homes and communities in our effort to balance the function, cost, and delight of where we live. A book signing follows the talk. Registration required.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
5/6: 6:30pm - 8pm
- Out of Southeast Asia: Art That Sustains Out of Southeast Asia: Art That Sustains — the last exhibition presented in The Textile Museum's historic location before the museum's 2014 reopening — promises to be a beautiful pairing of tradition and innovation. Out of Southeast Asia demonstrates how four artists are reinventing traditional Southeast Asian textile techniques, designs, and ideology in new and meaningful ways.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street NW, Washington, DC 20008
(Images: Judy Ross, De-Cor, SOBU, Ligne Roset)