We may be a few days out from Thanksgiving but the holiday sales and events are starting to kick into gear. This week's list is full of indie designer sales – from coast to coast and cities in between. In addition, we have a number of online sales to get you prepped for the holidays. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your own sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Wexel Art Frames Eva Zeisel Sale Take 25% off the Eva Zeisel Gift Set (now $89.99). Last weekend to save on a limited edition collector's set of the only frames ever designed by the legendary Zeisel (at age 104!). Plus, 5% of all sales are being donated to the American Red Cross this month.
• Rutherford Papers Sale Free shipping on all orders (no minimum, no code needed) + 15% off holiday cards.
• Vermont Woods Studios Shaker Style Furniture Sale Save up to 20% on American-made Shaker style furniture pieces.
• Ligne Roset: Alcantara Sale Ligne Roset is offering a 15% discount on any product upholstered in Alcantara, an innovative, luxurious material that is the result of a unique and proprietary technology. Please note that this discount is only applicable to items upholstered in Alcantara® and is not applicable with any other promotion or sale.
• Plywerk Procrastination Prevention Promotion Get your holiday gifts early and save! 11/9 - 11/15: 25% off; 11/16 - 11/22: 20% off; 11/23-11/29: 15% off
• CoolChairz.com/Hurrican Sandy Relief Effort CoolChairz.com will donate $5 for every chair that is sold on its website during the month of November to the American Red Cross Hurricane Sandy Relief Effort.
• Lightology November Sale Save 30% on the brand-new Eva Zeisel collection from Leucos, along with Sonneman, Hudson Valley and Many other brands, exclusively at Lightology.
• Spot On Square Fall Sale Save 15% off Spot On Square's Roh and Hiya Collections for the month of November. Modern furnishings for baby and the whole home – sustainable, eco-friendly and made in the USA.
• Greentea Design's Bedroom Sale Save 20% on Asian-inspired bedroom pieces.
• Viva Terra's Home for the Holidays On November 12, VivaTerra kicked off "Home for the Holidays," a 25-day/25-products half-off shopping spree featuring some of their top-selling items from 2012. Every week will feature a new theme, such as Seasonal Décor and Get Ready for Guests, highlighting a different product each day. From Moroccan Tea Glasses, and Giant Gold Temple Bells to Cashmere Ruffled Scarves, and Fleecy Silk Fringed Throws to shown below the Temple Bell and Quartz Crystal Ornaments and the Root of the Earth Bowls there is something sure to delight almost everyone!
• Indie Craft Experience Holiday Spectacular The Indie Craft Experience are hosting their annual holiday shopping event. An added twist at this year's event is the return of Salvage: a curated vintage marketplace. The Holiday Shopping Spectacular will not only offer wares from the country's top handmade crafters but also vintage, mid-century, and upcycled home furnishings & decor.
Ambient Plus Studio | 585 Wells Street SW, Atlanta Georgia 30312
11/17 - 11/18: 11am - 6pm
• Our Cups Runneth Over Our Cups Runneth Over is a biannual exhibition and sale of contemporary ceramic cups featuring the work of 33 artists from around the country. The exhibition attracts the attention of regional and national collectors and has become an important educational destination for students to learn about the various formal, conceptual and technical approaches that ceramics allows. For the exhibition, Sanam Emami, Head of the Pottery Department at Colorado State University, Fort Collins has conceived a site-specific installation that further explores her interest in the patterns of Iranian and Islamic art and architecture.
Society of Arts & Crafts | 175 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
Opening Reception: 11/16: 6pm - 8pm
Show: Through 1/13/13
• Holiday Art Sale and Preview Party This not-to-miss event is a wonderful opportunity to purchase one-of-a-kind gifts created by SAIC students. Do some holiday shopping while supporting up-and-coming artists.
SAIC Ballroom | 112 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
11/16: 11am - 7pm
11/17: 10am - 5pm
• 10th annual DIY Trunk Show The Chicago Craft Mafia, a collaborative organization of independent crafting business owners, celebrates its 10th annual DIY Trunk Show with 150+ vendors and 15 Sponsors. This year's event is themed "10 years of Craft, Sweat, and Tears."
Broadway Armory | 5917 North Broadway, Chicago, Illinois 60660
11/17: 10am - 5pm
• Anna Joelsdottir "Flying Through the Cuckoo's Nest" Originally from Iceland, Anna Jóelsdóttir now calls Chicago home. Drawing inspiration from nature and the landscape of both Iceland and the Midwest, Anna Jóelsdóttir uses various mixed media such as paint, ink, graphite, sticks, mylar and now three dimensional forms to translate her thoughts into what she calls "visual writing". Anna Jóelsdóttir's works have been collected and exhibited in museums and galleries internationally - in China, Iceland, New York City, and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago. She received her MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, this will be her third solo show at Zg Gallery.
Zg Gallery | 300 West Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Urban Craft Lab Fall Workshops Urban Craft Lab is a workshop and party company offering relaxing, communal crafting for anyone who wants to make something beautiful and cool. SCHEDULE & LOCATIONS
Weekends through 12/16
• Hawkins/Hawkins: One Saw Everything, One Saw Nothing This exhibition brings together two masters of self-taught art who share a name and a talent for using simple materials to create compelling images: William Hawkins and Hawkins Bolden. The creations of these two artists, one possessing a keen sense of touch and the other a unique vision of the world around him, have a powerful impact when viewed side by side in this exhibition.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• Rustic Modern Estate Sale This estate sale looks like it could be out of the pages of Elle Decor. f you like wood, antiques, Chinoiserie, pottery, mid-century modern, modern and high-end designers like Le Corbusier and Milo Baughman.
Succor Estate Sales | 2608 North Beachwood Drive, Los Angeles, California 90068
11/16 - 11/18: 9am - 3pm
• Heath Ceramics November Sale This is the traditional fall event at Heath Los Angeles with all in-store purchases at 20 percent off. Plus, during the weekend of 11/17, visitors can explore Adam Silverman's studio space and also experience the making process with a tile glazing activity. Food and coffee will be offered, as well as a Heath raffle.
Heath Ceramics | 7525 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
11/16 - 11/25
• "Work and Non Work" by Susie Ghahremani Susie Ghahremani of Boygirlparty presents "Work and Non Work," a new art show with over 100 new paintings and a new mural installation. This exhibition emphasizes the experimentation and play of Ghahremani's miniatures and drawings that she'll be showing juxtaposed with the framed pieces.
Giant Robot | 2062 Sawtelle Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90025
Opening Reception: 11/17: 6:30pm - 10pm
Exhibit: Through 12/5
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and international reputation for unrestrained creativity.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
• MCAD Art Sale Now in its 15th year, the Minneapolis College of Art and Design Art Sale is a Minn. tradition with all proceeds going to individual artists and the MCAD Art Sale Scholarship Fund. The show features exclusive art pieces created by MCAD students and recent graduates at unbeatable prices. More than 6,000 pieces will be shown, all priced at less than $1000 for current students and less than $1500 for alumni, with the average art piece priced at less than $100.
MCAD | 2501 Stevens Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55404
11/15 - 11/17
• Waterworks Warehouse Sale Up to 80% off fixtures, fittings and furnishings.
Waterworks Warehouse | 595 Federal Road, Brookfield, Connecticut 06804
11/16: 10am - 4pm
11/17: 9am - 4pm
• UNIQUE NYC UNIQUE NYC is a two-day shopping event that is curated to showcase the best made-in-America goods out there. Just in time for the holiday shopping season, this modern 'alternative to the mall' brings together over 100 of the best American designers, artists and merchants - making it easy to buy local and support USA's economy while discovering great design. 10% of the proceeds going to non-profit organization World Up.
Center 548 | 548 West 22nd Street, New York, New York 10011
11/17 - 11/18
• ABC Carpet & Home Bronx Warehouse Sale Just in time for the holidays, ABC Carpet & Home in Bronx, New York is hosting a sale. Furniture, rugs, lighting, decorative pillows and accessories have been reduced up to 75% off, including savings on select items from Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, John Reeves and Cobble Hill.
ABC Carpet & Home Bronx Warehouse | 1055 Bronx River Avenue, Bronx, New York 10472
• West Elm Sarah Campbell Lecture at F.I.T. Hear professor and textile designer Rena Sussman speak with British textile designer and West Elm collaborator Sarah Campbell as part of the "Faces & Places in Fashion" lecture series.
Katie Murphy Amphitheater | Seventh Avenue at 27 Street, New York, New York 10001
11/19: 4pm - 5pm
• SOUK: And You Shall Find Inspired by the chaotic bazaars of Morocco, "SOUK: And You Shall Find" explores the intersection between texture, color, and form in a variety of media, from vintage textiles to contemporary painting. While reconsidering the interplay between fabric and visual art, the exhibition will also challenge traditional modes of exhibition curation by reconfiguring the gallery space into a modern facsimile of the Moroccan souk. Maintaining the marketplace's historical significance, physically and economically, as a site of commerce and counterpoint to the present-day art fair, "SOUK" will transform the conventional art-viewing experience into a sense-intensive encounter, through private booths, curatorial collaborations, and an unorthodox presentation of artworks, objects, and wares.
Underline Gallery | 238 West 14th Street, New York, New York 10011
• Clutter Cowgirl's Professional Organizing Sale Save 25% on Clutter Cowgirl's professional organizing and personal shopping services.
• Karen Nicol Solo Show: Imaginary Menagerie During the month of November, UK artist and well-known textile designer Karen Nichol will be exhibiting at Rebecca Hossack Gallery NYC. Her exhibition Imaginary Menagerie is an exploration of the hundreds of sewing techniques and vintage finds that influence Nicol's highly textured and tactile work.
Rebecca Hossack Gallery | 262 Mott Street, New York, New York 10012
Opening Reception: 11/7: 6:30 - 8:30
Exhibit: Through 11/30
• Jeffrey Maron: Devotion Affirmation Arts presents Jeffrey Maron: Devotion, a retrospective of Maron's sculptural work that spans 16 years (1976--2012). Jeffrey Maron's work is self-described as "contemporary animism," drawing on spiritual experiences to transform metals and other materials into works of art. His creative process comprises mind, body and spirit, producing pieces that have their own intrinsic energy and animistic themes. Maron's work is characterized by paradoxes; it is tough and beautiful, religious and sensual, reminiscent of familiar symbols, yet unique.
Affirmation Arts | 523 West 37th Street, New York, New York 10018
• Tufenkian Artisan Carpets Create Your Own Nook: One-of-a-Kind 2'x3' Carpet Sale
Tufenkian Artisan Carpets | 919 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• PEDINI's Display Kitchens For Sale PEDINI NY is making room for new displays. PEDINI NY has all new Italian Display Kitchens for Sale! Shop the PEDINI NY annual Display Kitchens Sale and save up to 70% on high-quality Italian designed, award-winning, contemporary kitchen cabinetry. Drop by our Tribeca showroom and let us show you around. Time is of the essence! If you stop in soon you can score a great deal on not only cabinetry, but also counter-tops, appliances and plumbing fixtures. Since we are making room for new collections, it is the most opportune time to buy one of our elite Contemporary Display Kitchens at half of the normal price.
PEDINI | 40 Lispenard Street, New York, New York 10013
• Let It Glow Artisan Fair Wrap up your holiday shopping and support American art and craft in one day and one stop. During this special event, you'll find unique art and handcrafted gifts from local artisans and craftspeople. See Rejuvenation's new assortment of colorful Mid-Century Modern Blenko glass lamps and rugged O.C. White Industrial task lamps. Plus, enter for a chance to win a Blenko table lamp. 10% of store and artist sales will be donated to ear, a Portland non-profit that creatively mentors homeless youth.
Rejuvenation | 1100 SE Grand Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97214
11/17: 10am - 5pm
• Fall Together Handmade Market Fall Together is a curated gathering of independent shops and artisans specializing in everything required to celebrate the winter season.
The Cleaners at the Ace Hotel | 403 NW 10th Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97205
11/17: 11am - 7pm
11/18: 12pm - 6pm
• Tina Frey Designs Annual Open Studio Visit Tina Frey's new studio and get 50% - 75% off discontinued designs and colors and 15% off regular merchandise.
Tina Frey Designs Studio | 1278 Minnesota Street, San Francisco, California 94123
11/16: 9:30am - 5pm
11/17: 10am - 4pm
• Succulence Life and Garden Grand Re-Opening Succulence is pleased to announce the Grand Re-Opening of it's newly expanded life and garden shop in the Bernal Heights neighborhood. Join them in celebrating the growth and cultivation of Succulence, and partake in their mission to offer necessities for succulent living. At the Grand Re-Opening Event you will also have the opportunity to contribute your personal wish to our Wishing Tree, which will remain in the shop as a symbolic, collaborative, testament to our continued commitment to our community, and our hope for peace and prosperity for all.
Succulence | 402 Cortland Avenue, San Francisco, California 94110
11/17: 10am - 6pm
• Patchwork Indie Arts & Crafts Festival Patchwork Indie Art & Craft Festival showcases emerging local artists, crafters & designers alongside artisan food, DIY craft workshops and indie music. This year marks Patchworks six year and 23rd festival of spreading its 'Buy Local, Buy Creative' philosophy across Southern California. This holiday season Patchwork debuts with its first Bay Area event in Oakland. Vendors are selected through a jury and feature clothing for men, women & kids, handbags, accessories, jewelry, art, ceramics, garden finds, home goods, plushies, crochet & knit items, pet gear, kits & patterns, bath & body goodies and more!
Jack London Square | 98 Broadway, Oakland, California 94607
11/18: 11am - 5pm
• Glass Art PopUP Sale Glass artists Jess Wainer and Heather Palmer will be introducing new designs and unseen, luscious color palettes just in time for the holidays.
Marion and Rose's Workshop | 461 9th Street, Oakland, California 94607
11/18: 12pm - 3pm
• This is My World by Lisa Congdon at Rare Device This is my World is a glimpse inside the brain of San Francisco artist and illustrator, Lisa Congdon. Congdon, long obsessed with the fusion of color, shape and pattern on unlikely surfaces, brings us a show of of small works, painted objects, zines and hand made books. Congdon has combined hand lettering, hand-drawn pattern, and her usual dose of bold color onto paper, vintage ephemera and wood to create an array of pieces that will dazzle even the most sullen observer.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, California 94117
Exhibit: Through 12/21
• Shana Astrachan Holiday Glamour Boutique Local designer and metalsmith, Shana Astrachan, presents A Holiday Glamour Boutique at Rare Device. Shana's love of vintage crafts and glamorous interiors have shaped the objects she created exclusively for this holiday seasons annual pop-up shop. She brings you unique collaborations and works of other designers along with her handcrafted line of jewelry, accessories, paper goods and beauty products. Come visit and experience Shana's crafty nod to eras gone by.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero St., San Francisco, California 94117
11/17 - 1/6/13
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
Send it to us. We publish every week:
(Images: Herman Miller Sale at Room & Board, Heath Ceramics November Sale, West Elm Tabletop Sale, "Work and Non Work" by Susie Ghahremani