With Halloween (and a huge hurricane) behind us, it's time to start fluffing up our nests for the coming winter holidays. From dining room furniture to art and a little bit of everything in between, there's a wide selection of sales in this week's guide. And if you're not in the mood for shopping, there are non-retail events as well. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your own sale or event.
Shown, clockwise from top left: American Indian Arts Marketplace at The Autry, Courtney Timmermans' Urban Herd at SOFA Chicago, Urban Oasis Sales Event at Lekker Home, Greentea Design's Bedroom Sale
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• First Fridays At Pip & Estella Pip & Estella offer the top four finds from each of their buying trips, with a huge chunk off the price tag. Four coveted one-of-a-kind finds to make your home shine -- at forty percent off, plus lots of other vintage goodies. Shop furniture. Shop accessories. Shop holiday. You can choose from all of the coming finds and even buy the cart too!
• Rejuvenation Period Basics Event Save 20% on select lighting and shades from Rejuvenation's most versatile collection of lighting.
Online & in stores
• LampLust All American Lantern Sale LampLust is helping you gear up for the election. Their 3-light All American Lantern Set, in red, white and blue, is only $14.
• Blu Dot 20/20 Sale Take Advantage of the 2012 Blu Dot 20/20 Sale. For 20 days all Blu Dot products in their extensive line are 20% off.
• MatthewIzzo Fall Sale Matthew Izzo Fall online sale up to 40% off select items. Home fragrance, furniture, lighting and rugs.
• West Elm Dining Furniture Sale Save 15% off west elm dining furniture including chairs, buffets, dining tables, and more.
• Tell Tale Art Auction Need some new art for your apartment? Tell Tale Art Auction featuring spooky art by your favorite illustrators, inlcuding: Dav Pilkey, Mo Willems, Matthew Myers, Lane Smith, Peter Brown, Dave Shannon, Adam Rex, Brian Floca, Fiona Robinson, Paul O. Zelinsky, Frank Viva, Scott C., Steven Weinberg, Stephen Savage, Sara Varon and Tony DiTerlizzi.
• Blueprint Modern Hurricane Relief Blueprint Modern will donate fifteen percent of proceeds from Rover sales to the Human Society of the United States for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.
• Design Public/Spot on Square Save 15% on Spot on Square items from the Roh and Hiya Collections. Fabulous modern bedroom furniture for babies and toddlers - there's also a piece or 2 for the grownups!
• Lightology November Sale Save 30% on the brand-new Eva Zeisel collection from Leucos, along with Sonneman, Hudson Valley and Many other brands, exclusively at Lightology.
• Greentea Design's Bedroom Sale Save 20% on Asian-inspired bedroom pieces.
• Urban Oasis Sales Event Quench your thirst for savings and fun at the Urban Oasis Sales Event. Join Lekker for drinks and flavorful fare while taking advantage of 20% off on all Urban Oasis design products. Choose from dinnerware, serving pieces and decorative accessories bringing contemporary style to your table and home just in time for the holidays. Also, enter your name in our drawing to win lux gifts with multiple chances to win.
Lekker Home | 1317 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
11/3: 1pm - 6pm
• Mariposa Artist Signing Event at Rose & Dove Join Mariposa artist Michael Updike at Rose & Dove Specialty Gift Shop in as he shares the inspiration behind his whimsical designs and signs Mariposa pieces. Spend $125 or more on Mariposa merchandise and receive a "live. laugh. Love." Frame.
Rose & Dave Specialty Gift Shop | 579 Chickering Road, North Andover, Massachusetts 01845
11/8: 5pm - 8pm
• Anna Joelsdottir "Flying Through the Cuckoo's Nest" Originally from Iceland, Anna Jóelsdóttir now calls Chicago home. Drawing inspiration from nature and the landscape of both Iceland and the Midwest, Anna Jóelsdóttir uses various mixed media such as paint, ink, graphite, sticks, mylar and now three dimensional forms to translate her thoughts into what she calls "visual writing". Anna Jóelsdóttir's works have been collected and exhibited in museums and galleries internationally - in China, Iceland, New York City, and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago. She received her MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, this will be her third solo show at Zg Gallery.
Zg Gallery | 300 West Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
Artist Reception: 11/2: 5pm - 8pm
Exhibit: Through 12/1
• SOFA Chicago 2012 The 19th Annual Exposition of Sculpture Objects & Functional Art Fair is a gallery-presented, international art exposition dedicated to bridging the worlds of design, decorative and fine art. Works by emerging and established artists and designers are available for sale by premier galleries and dealers. TICKETS
Festival Hall at Navy Pier | 600 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611
11/2: 11am - 7pm
11/3: 11am - 7pm
11/4: 11am - 6pm
• Unison Fall Warehouse Sale Join Unision for their annual Fall Warehouse Sale! Get the best of sale bedding and blankets, B-quality pillows and unique samples up to 80% off! Shop A-quality quilts, pillows, duvets and sheets up to 75% off, plus enjoy additional discounts on select housewares and accessories up to 50% off. Bring 10 cans or packages of nonperishable foods for the Greater Chicago Food Depository and get an extra 10% off your purchase.
Unison | 2000 West Fulton Street, Studio F-109, Chicago, Illinois 60612
11/2 - 11/4
• Urban Craft Lab Fall Workshops Urban Craft Lab is a workshop and party company offering relaxing, communal crafting for anyone who wants to make something beautiful and cool. SCHEDULE & LOCATIONS
Weekends through 12/16
• Hawkins/Hawkins: One Saw Everything, One Saw Nothing This exhibition brings together two masters of self-taught art who share a name and a talent for using simple materials to create compelling images: William Hawkins and Hawkins Bolden. The creations of these two artists, one possessing a keen sense of touch and the other a unique vision of the world around him, have a powerful impact when viewed side by side in this exhibition.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• Classic Concepts Warehouse Sale Twice a year Classic Concepts opens up their warehouse to the public to sell slightly damaged items, floor samples, and overstock product. Customers can save up to 80% off retail prices.
Classic Conepts | 4505 Bandini Boulevard, Vernon, California 90058
11/3: 7am - 4pm
• American Indian Arts Marketplace The Autry National Center presents a weekend celebration of Native American arts and culture centered around its annual American Indian Arts Marketplace. Featuring over 185 Native American artists selling their works direct to the public, the weekend will also host performances, children's activities, informative talks, and theatre performances by the Autry's world-renowned theatre company, Native Voices at the Autry.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
11/3 - 11/4: 10am - 5pm
• Mariposa Trunk Show at Bloomingdale's Join Mariposa Artist in Residence Shelly Bradbury at a trunk show at Bloomingdale's South Coast Plaza. She will share the inspiration behind her designs and sign Mariposa pieces. Receive a free Sueno Napkin Box with Blossom Weight when you purchase $150.00 worth of Mariposa merchandise.
Bloomingdale's | 3333 South Bristol Street, Costa Mesa, California 92626
11/8: 2pm - 5pm
• Cloud Noir Dining Table Sale Take 20% off all floor model dining tables.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Patchwork Indie Arts & Crafts Festival Patchwork Indie Art & Craft Festival showcases emerging local artists, crafters & designers alongside artisan food, DIY craft workshops and indie music. This year marks Patchworks six year and 23rd festival of spreading its 'Buy Local, Buy Creative' philosophy across Southern California. This holiday season Patchwork debuts with its first Bay Area event in Oakland. Vendors are selected through a jury and feature clothing for men, women & kids, handbags, accessories, jewelry, art, ceramics, garden finds, home goods, plushies, crochet & knit items, pet gear, kits & patterns, bath & body goodies and more!
Helms Bakery | 8711 West Washington Boulevard, Culver City, California 90232
11/4: 11am - 5pm
• Dwell Silicon Valley Home Tours Modernism is not a new concept for Silicon Valley. With pioneers such as Richard Neutra carving out a footprint in the '30s and Joseph Eichler and other modernist visionaries building prolifically in the '60s, the associated architectural style predates the widespread use of the area's now well-known name. Join Dwell magazine for what promises to be one night and two days full of interesting architecture and people during the Dwell Home Tour. TICKETS
11/3 - 11/4
• Midcentury LA Annual Dining Sale Up to 25% off all dining tables and chairs.
Midcentury LA | 5333 Cahuenga Boulevard, North Hollywood, California 91601
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and international reputation for unrestrained creativity.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
• DwellStudio Urban Tag Sale The DwellStudio Urban Tag Sale will feature over 250 pieces, including one-of-a-kind treasures from the personal collections of top design and style experts each of whom will be selling a mix of their own personal collections, vintage and one-of-a-kind treasures. The selection will include one-of-a-kind furniture items, artwork, fabric, designer clothing, and much more. Proceeds from the tag sale will benefit Jessica Seinfeld's amazing charity Baby Buggy, which helps mothers and families in need.
DwellStudio Urban Tag Sale | 72 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10012
11/10: 11am - 4pm
• Kids Food Fest The Kids Food Festival is a weekend event focusing on educating families about making balanced food choices through fun and flavorful activities. The exciting and engaging programming of the Kids Food Festival helps to establish wholesome lifelong habits, while working to avert childhood obesity.
Citi Pond at Bryant Park | 41 West 40th Street, New York, New York 10018
11/3 - 11/4
• DwellStudio Warehouse Sale Hundreds of DwellStudio products - including furniture, decorative accessories, textiles, baby and kids items, fabrics, rugs, lighting, artwork, etc. will be available.
DwellStudio Warehouse | 72 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10012
11/7 - 11/11, from 10am - 7pm
• The Salon of Art & Design Preview Gala Kips Bay Boys & Girls Club will be the beneficiary organization of the Preview Party for The Salon of Art & Design. Sanford L. Smith & Associates will collaborate with the Syndicate National des Antiquaires, the largest and most prestigious association of art and design dealers in France and producer of the renowned Paris Biennale. All proceeds from this event benefit the Kips Bay Boys & Girls Club. TICKETS
Park Avenue Armory | 960 Park Ave, New York, New York 10028
11/7: 5pm - 9pm
• Chilewich Sample Sale Chilewich presents its 2012 Sample Sale at the ClothingLine showroom. Shoppers will enjoy savings of 50-75% off regular retail prices on a wide variety of Chilewich designs, including placemats, floormats, floor tiles, shag mats, pet mats, bags, wall textiles and much more (please note some items will be irregulars). Plus, Chilewich will donate 10% of net profits from the sale to Free Arts NYC, who provides under-served children and families with unique educational arts and mentoring programs.
ClothingLine | 261 West 36th Street, 2nd floor, New York, New York 10018
11/7 - 11/9
• SOUK: And You Shall Find Inspired by the chaotic bazaars of Morocco, "SOUK: And You Shall Find" explores the intersection between texture, color, and form in a variety of media, from vintage textiles to contemporary painting. While reconsidering the interplay between fabric and visual art, the exhibition will also challenge traditional modes of exhibition curation by reconfiguring the gallery space into a modern facsimile of the Moroccan souk. Maintaining the marketplace's historical significance, physically and economically, as a site of commerce and counterpoint to the present-day art fair, "SOUK" will transform the conventional art-viewing experience into a sense-intensive encounter, through private booths, curatorial collaborations, and an unorthodox presentation of artworks, objects, and wares.
Underline Gallery | 238 West 14th Street, New York, New York 10011
• Clutter Cowgirl's Professional Organizing Sale Save 25% on Clutter Cowgirl's professional organizing and personal shopping services.
• Karen Nicol Solo Show: Imaginary Menagerie During the month of November, UK artist and well-known textile designer Karen Nichol will be exhibiting at Rebecca Hossack Gallery NYC. Her exhibition Imaginary Menagerie is an exploration of the hundreds of sewing techniques and vintage finds that influence Nicol's highly textured and tactile work.
Rebecca Hossack Gallery | 262 Mott Street, New York, New York 10012
Opening Reception: 11/7: 6:30 - 8:30
Exhibit: Through 11/30
• Jeffrey Maron: Devotion Affirmation Arts presents Jeffrey Maron: Devotion, a retrospective of Maron's sculptural work that spans 16 years (1976--2012). Jeffrey Maron's work is self-described as "contemporary animism," drawing on spiritual experiences to transform metals and other materials into works of art. His creative process comprises mind, body and spirit, producing pieces that have their own intrinsic energy and animistic themes. Maron's work is characterized by paradoxes; it is tough and beautiful, religious and sensual, reminiscent of familiar symbols, yet unique.
Affirmation Arts | 523 West 37th Street, New York, New York 10018
• Tufenkian Artisan Carpets Create Your Own Nook: One-of-a-Kind 2'x3' Carpet Sale
Tufenkian Artisan Carpets | 919 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• PEDINI's Display Kitchens For Sale PEDINI NY is making room for new displays. PEDINI NY has all new Italian Display Kitchens for Sale! Shop the PEDINI NY annual Display Kitchens Sale and save up to 70% on high-quality Italian designed, award-winning, contemporary kitchen cabinetry. Drop by our Tribeca showroom and let us show you around. Time is of the essence! If you stop in soon you can score a great deal on not only cabinetry, but also counter-tops, appliances and plumbing fixtures. Since we are making room for new collections, it is the most opportune time to buy one of our elite Contemporary Display Kitchens at half of the normal price.
PEDINI | 40 Lispenard Street, New York, New York 10013
• Forgotten Shanghai Sample Sale Everything in the showroom is discounted 25%-75%. Many silk personal accessory and gift items $5-$20. All furniture between 25% and 75% off.
Forgotten Shanghai | 245 Kansas Street, San Francisco, California 94103
• Clover Market Over 100 carefully selected vendors with antiques & collectibles, original art, vintage clothing and jewelry, and finely handcrafted items will convene in downtown Ardmore, Pennsylvania at this open-air market. Recently named a "Best Vintage Sale" by Flea Market Style Magazine, Clover is free and open to the public and a popular local event, drawing customers and vendors from all around the region.
Clover Market | 12 East Lancaster Avenue, Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003
11/4: 10am - 5pm
• This is My World by Lisa Congdon at Rare Device This is my World is a glimpse inside the brain of San Francisco artist and illustrator, Lisa Congdon. Congdon, long obsessed with the fusion of color, shape and pattern on unlikely surfaces, brings us a show of of small works, painted objects, zines and hand made books. Congdon has combined hand lettering, hand-drawn pattern, and her usual dose of bold color onto paper, vintage ephemera and wood to create an array of pieces that will dazzle even the most sullen observer.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, California 94117
Opening: 11/2: 6pm - 8pm
Exhibit: Through 12/21
• Susan Goldstick Annual Holiday Studio Sale Noted for unique paint finishes bejeweled accents, and meticulous workmanship, take advantage of 20 - 50% savings on cabinet knobs and pulls, drapery hardware, table lamps, furniture and switch covers.
Susan Goldstick | 465 Coloma Street, Sausalito, California 94965
11/3: 10am - 5pm
11/4: 11am - 4pm
• Dwell Silicon Valley Home Tours Fans of modern design are invited to
explore some of the most notable modern residences in Silicon Valley this fall when the
Dwell Home Tourscome to the Silicon Valley for the first time. The Silicon Valley Home Tours will be showcasing ten amazing modern homes that demonstrate the most forward-thinking approaches to site planning and sustainability.
Dwell Silicon Valley Home Tours | Locations upon ticket purchase
11/3 - 11/4
• Connect:Homes Silicon Valley Home Tour Founders of Connect:Homes, Jared Levy and Gordon Stott, announce the second installation of their revolutionary prefab home - modern, green, and affordable. The prototype will be part of the Dwell Silicon Valley Home Tour November 3 - 4 and will remain open to the public until November 11.
Connect:Homes Installation | 97 Hillview Avenue, Los Altos, California 94022
• Lecture by Luther Price Luther Price studied sculpture and media/performing arts at the Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt), where he currently teaches. His films, shot primarily on Super-8, often include controversial subject matter, found footage, the artist performing in a variety of personae, and physical interventions into the actual material of the film, sometimes incorporating live performance. His work was in the 2012 Whitney Biennial and the 2012-13 exhibition Second Nature: Abstract Photography Then and Now at the DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum in Lincoln, Massachusetts. He has previously had exhibitions, screenings and performances at the San Francisco Cinematheque; the Institute of Contemporary Arts, London; and in New York at the Museum of Modern Art, Thread Waxing Space, PARTICIPANT INC., and Light Industry.
California College of the Arts | 1111 Eighth Street, San Francisco, California 94107
• Garza Marfa at Heath Designer/makers Jamey Garza and Constance Holt-Garza are coming to Heath San Francisco and they're bringing with them the designs of Marfa, Texas. This event also marks the Bay Area launch of Garza's leather furniture line, available exclusively in California at Heath's Los Angeles and San Francisco locations. Recent highlights for the furniture include a new bar stool design as well as three new color options for the vibrant powder-coated bases of his pieces: magenta, yellow and blue/green.
Heath San Francisco | 2900 18th Street, San Francisco, California 94110
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
(Images: American Indian Arts Marketplace at The Autry, Courtney Timmermans' Urban Herd at SOFA Chicago, Urban Oasis Sales Event at Lekker Home, Greentea Design's Bedroom Sale