With Halloween (and a huge hurricane) behind us, it's time to start fluffing up our nests for the coming winter holidays. From dining room furniture to art and a little bit of everything in between, there's a wide selection of sales in this week's guide. And if you're not in the mood for shopping, there are non-retail events as well. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your own sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• First Fridays At Pip & Estella Pip & Estella offer the top four finds from each of their buying trips, with a huge chunk off the price tag. Four coveted one-of-a-kind finds to make your home shine -- at forty percent off, plus lots of other vintage goodies. Shop furniture. Shop accessories. Shop holiday. You can choose from all of the coming finds and even buy the cart too!
• LampLust All American Lantern Sale LampLust is helping you gear up for the election. Their 3-light All American Lantern Set, in red, white and blue, is only $14.
• Blu Dot 20/20 Sale Take Advantage of the 2012 Blu Dot 20/20 Sale. For 20 days all Blu Dot products in their extensive line are 20% off.
• MatthewIzzo Fall Sale Matthew Izzo Fall online sale up to 40% off select items. Home fragrance, furniture, lighting and rugs.
• West Elm Dining Furniture Sale Save 15% off west elm dining furniture including chairs, buffets, dining tables, and more.
• Tell Tale Art Auction Need some new art for your apartment? Tell Tale Art Auction featuring spooky art by your favorite illustrators, inlcuding: Dav Pilkey, Mo Willems, Matthew Myers, Lane Smith, Peter Brown, Dave Shannon, Adam Rex, Brian Floca, Fiona Robinson, Paul O. Zelinsky, Frank Viva, Scott C., Steven Weinberg, Stephen Savage, Sara Varon and Tony DiTerlizzi.
• Blueprint Modern Hurricane Relief Blueprint Modern will donate fifteen percent of proceeds from Rover sales to the Human Society of the United States for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.
• Design Public/Spot on Square Save 15% on Spot on Square items from the Roh and Hiya Collections. Fabulous modern bedroom furniture for babies and toddlers - there's also a piece or 2 for the grownups!
• Lightology November Sale Save 30% on the brand-new Eva Zeisel collection from Leucos, along with Sonneman, Hudson Valley and Many other brands, exclusively at Lightology.
• Greentea Design's Bedroom Sale Save 20% on Asian-inspired bedroom pieces.
• Urban Oasis Sales Event Quench your thirst for savings and fun at the Urban Oasis Sales Event. Join Lekker for drinks and flavorful fare while taking advantage of 20% off on all Urban Oasis design products. Choose from dinnerware, serving pieces and decorative accessories bringing contemporary style to your table and home just in time for the holidays. Also, enter your name in our drawing to win lux gifts with multiple chances to win.
Lekker Home | 1317 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
11/3: 1pm - 6pm
• Mariposa Artist Signing Event at Rose & Dove Join Mariposa artist Michael Updike at Rose & Dove Specialty Gift Shop in as he shares the inspiration behind his whimsical designs and signs Mariposa pieces. Spend $125 or more on Mariposa merchandise and receive a "live. laugh. Love." Frame.
Rose & Dave Specialty Gift Shop | 579 Chickering Road, North Andover, Massachusetts 01845
11/8: 5pm - 8pm
• Anna Joelsdottir "Flying Through the Cuckoo's Nest" Originally from Iceland, Anna Jóelsdóttir now calls Chicago home. Drawing inspiration from nature and the landscape of both Iceland and the Midwest, Anna Jóelsdóttir uses various mixed media such as paint, ink, graphite, sticks, mylar and now three dimensional forms to translate her thoughts into what she calls "visual writing". Anna Jóelsdóttir's works have been collected and exhibited in museums and galleries internationally - in China, Iceland, New York City, and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago. She received her MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, this will be her third solo show at Zg Gallery.
Zg Gallery | 300 West Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
Artist Reception: 11/2: 5pm - 8pm
Exhibit: Through 12/1
• SOFA Chicago 2012 The 19th Annual Exposition of Sculpture Objects & Functional Art Fair is a gallery-presented, international art exposition dedicated to bridging the worlds of design, decorative and fine art. Works by emerging and established artists and designers are available for sale by premier galleries and dealers. TICKETS
Festival Hall at Navy Pier | 600 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611
11/2: 11am - 7pm
11/3: 11am - 7pm
11/4: 11am - 6pm
• Unison Fall Warehouse Sale Join Unision for their annual Fall Warehouse Sale! Get the best of sale bedding and blankets, B-quality pillows and unique samples up to 80% off! Shop A-quality quilts, pillows, duvets and sheets up to 75% off, plus enjoy additional discounts on select housewares and accessories up to 50% off. Bring 10 cans or packages of nonperishable foods for the Greater Chicago Food Depository and get an extra 10% off your purchase.
Unison | 2000 West Fulton Street, Studio F-109, Chicago, Illinois 60612
11/2 - 11/4
• Urban Craft Lab Fall Workshops Urban Craft Lab is a workshop and party company offering relaxing, communal crafting for anyone who wants to make something beautiful and cool. SCHEDULE & LOCATIONS
Weekends through 12/16
• Hawkins/Hawkins: One Saw Everything, One Saw Nothing This exhibition brings together two masters of self-taught art who share a name and a talent for using simple materials to create compelling images: William Hawkins and Hawkins Bolden. The creations of these two artists, one possessing a keen sense of touch and the other a unique vision of the world around him, have a powerful impact when viewed side by side in this exhibition.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• Classic Concepts Warehouse Sale Twice a year Classic Concepts opens up their warehouse to the public to sell slightly damaged items, floor samples, and overstock product. Customers can save up to 80% off retail prices.
Classic Conepts | 4505 Bandini Boulevard, Vernon, California 90058
11/3: 7am - 4pm
• American Indian Arts Marketplace The Autry National Center presents a weekend celebration of Native American arts and culture centered around its annual American Indian Arts Marketplace. Featuring over 185 Native American artists selling their works direct to the public, the weekend will also host performances, children's activities, informative talks, and theatre performances by the Autry's world-renowned theatre company, Native Voices at the Autry.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
11/3 - 11/4: 10am - 5pm
• Mariposa Trunk Show at Bloomingdale's Join Mariposa Artist in Residence Shelly Bradbury at a trunk show at Bloomingdale's South Coast Plaza. She will share the inspiration behind her designs and sign Mariposa pieces. Receive a free Sueno Napkin Box with Blossom Weight when you purchase $150.00 worth of Mariposa merchandise.
Bloomingdale's | 3333 South Bristol Street, Costa Mesa, California 92626
11/8: 2pm - 5pm
• Cloud Noir Dining Table Sale Take 20% off all floor model dining tables.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Patchwork Indie Arts & Crafts Festival Patchwork Indie Art & Craft Festival showcases emerging local artists, crafters & designers alongside artisan food, DIY craft workshops and indie music. This year marks Patchworks six year and 23rd festival of spreading its 'Buy Local, Buy Creative' philosophy across Southern California. This holiday season Patchwork debuts with its first Bay Area event in Oakland. Vendors are selected through a jury and feature clothing for men, women & kids, handbags, accessories, jewelry, art, ceramics, garden finds, home goods, plushies, crochet & knit items, pet gear, kits & patterns, bath & body goodies and more!
Helms Bakery | 8711 West Washington Boulevard, Culver City, California 90232
11/4: 11am - 5pm
• Dwell Silicon Valley Home Tours Modernism is not a new concept for Silicon Valley. With pioneers such as Richard Neutra carving out a footprint in the '30s and Joseph Eichler and other modernist visionaries building prolifically in the '60s, the associated architectural style predates the widespread use of the area's now well-known name. Join Dwell magazine for what promises to be one night and two days full of interesting architecture and people during the Dwell Home Tour. TICKETS
11/3 - 11/4
• Midcentury LA Annual Dining Sale Up to 25% off all dining tables and chairs.
Midcentury LA | 5333 Cahuenga Boulevard, North Hollywood, California 91601
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and internat