Tomorrow marks the first day of December and that means the holidays are going to close in on you before you know it. It also means that holiday sales and events are kicking off in earnest. From online sales to community events, we've rounded up some of the best around the country. Check it all out in the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your own sale or event
Shown, clockwise from top left: Artemide Lighting Sale at AllModern, Kate's Diner at Rebecca Hossack Gallery, Winter Wanderlust Holiday Poster Show, Marimekko Kitchen & Dining Sale
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Marimekko Kitchen & Dining Sale All Marimekko kitchen and dining on sale. Choose from your favorite glassware, aprons, serving trays, dinnerware, table linens, oven mitts and more.
• Greentea Design's Bedroom Sale Save 20% on Asian-inspired bedroom pieces.
• iittala Holiday Sale Huge iittala Holiday Sale. All iittala at 20% off: glassware, dinnerware, home decor, kitchen and more. Everything you need to entertain guest + great gift items.
• Design Public Fatboy Sale Just in time for holiday giving save 20% on all Fatboy items.
• Modani Black Friday Sale Save up to 60% off modern furniture at Modani's sale of the year.
Online and in stores
• Rutherford Papers Platter Sale 10% off personalized platters plus FREE shipping on all orders.
• Jayson Home Flea Sale All "Flea" merchandise is 20% off with free shipping on orders over $75. Curated personally by the Jayson Home buyers, choose from a huge selection of vintage and antique furniture, accessories, curiosities, artwork and more, from all over the world.
12/3 - 12/9
• Viva Terra's Home for the Holidays On November 12, VivaTerra kicked off "Home for the Holidays," a 25-day/25-products half-off shopping spree featuring some of their top-selling items from 2012. Every week will feature a new theme, such as Seasonal Décor and Get Ready for Guests, highlighting a different product each day. From Moroccan Tea Glasses, and Giant Gold Temple Bells to Cashmere Ruffled Scarves, and Fleecy Silk Fringed Throws to shown below the Temple Bell and Quartz Crystal Ornaments and the Root of the Earth Bowls there is something sure to delight almost everyone!
• Lumens.com Jonathan Adler Sale Save 20-30% on all lighting, gifts and home decor designed by Jonathan Adler.
• Herman Miller Sale at Room & Board Customers can save 15% off all designs by Herman Miller at any of Room & Board's locations.
Online & in stores
• DenHaus December Sale Take 15% off all stylish dog crates.
• FLOS Black D'E-light Sale FLOS, the renowned Italian lighting manufacturer has a special holiday sale, offering almost 50% off the Black D'E-light task lamp, designed by Philippe Starck.
• My Sweet Muffin Holiday Sale Free shipping on all orders over $25.
• Judy Ross Textiles Christmas Stocking Sale All Christmas stockings are 50% off the retail price.
• Artemide Lighting Sale at AllModern Save 25% on the Artemide Tolomeo collection – table lamps, floor lamps, wall lights, pendants, and more.
• Craft O Rama at Ugly Gallery A yearly pop-up shop bringing you the best in local hand-made gifts.
Ugly Gallery | 246 Union Street, New Bedford, Massachusetts 02740
• Winter Wanderlust Holiday Poster Show International Poster Gallery presents "Winter Wanderlust," its 19th annual holiday show. The exhibit focuses on vintage travel posters advertising destinations both foreign and domestic, but also includes a striking selection of other works by renowned poster artists such as Jean d'Ylen, Leonetto Capiello, Herbert Leupin, Roger Broders, and many more.
International Poster Gallery | 205 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• Our Cups Runneth Over Our Cups Runneth Over is a biannual exhibition and sale of contemporary ceramic cups featuring the work of 33 artists from around the country. The exhibition attracts the attention of regional and national collectors and has become an important educational destination for students to learn about the various formal, conceptual and technical approaches that ceramics allows. For the exhibition, Sanam Emami, Head of the Pottery Department at Colorado State University, Fort Collins has conceived a site-specific installation that further explores her interest in the patterns of Iranian and Islamic art and architecture.
Society of Arts & Crafts | 175 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• Lillstreet Holiday Art Fair Lillstreet's third floor classrooms will transform into a vibrant marketplace filled with artisan gifts all handmade by our students and teachers. The fair takes place during the annual holiday party, this year featuring the "Let There Be Light," ceramics exhibition in the gallery, live music, cocktails and food. Don't miss any of the holiday cheer, all three floors of the building will be open and together will feature more than 100 artists.
Lillstreet Art Center | 4401 North Ravenswood Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60640
11/30: 6pm - 10pm
• Pearl, A Pop Up Art Boutique Pearl is once again appearing in Andersonville! Pearl is a pop uP art boutique that aims to put a consumer spin on the fine arts. In other words, Pearl sells affordable, accessible arts and crafts that are always decorative and often functional.
George's Ice Ceam and Treats | 5306 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60640
11/30 - 12/1
• Anna Joelsdottir "Flying Through the Cuckoo's Nest" Originally from Iceland, Anna Jóelsdóttir now calls Chicago home. Drawing inspiration from nature and the landscape of both Iceland and the Midwest, Anna Jóelsdóttir uses various mixed media such as paint, ink, graphite, sticks, mylar and now three dimensional forms to translate her thoughts into what she calls "visual writing". Anna Jóelsdóttir's works have been collected and exhibited in museums and galleries internationally - in China, Iceland, New York City, and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago. She received her MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, this will be her third solo show at Zg Gallery.
Zg Gallery | 300 West Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• 7th Annual Renegade Craft Fair Holiday Market The Chicago Holiday Market is always an especially festive affair, with hundreds of today's greatest indie makers along with tasty local food and booze, workshops, a photobooth, DJs and more.
Pulaski Park Fieldhouse | 1419 West Blackhawk Street, Chicago, Illinois 60642
12/1 - 12/2: 11am - 6pm
• Vernacular Spectacular Craft, vintage, art, jewelry ... something for everyone at one day sale of all things funky at Intuit. Take a break from shopping with the best BBQ in Chicago available from the Brand BBQ Market food truck.
Intuit | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
12/2: 10am - 4pm
• WPA Chicago/Poltrona Frau Anniversary Celebration WPA Chicago is hosting a series of events to celebrate Poltrona Frau 100th Anniversary. Each weekend they'll be hosting a particular designer or product line for the holiday shopper; including a special discount promotion for that particular weekend and designer's goods.
WPA Chicago | 314 West Superior, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Urban Craft Lab Fall Workshops Urban Craft Lab is a workshop and party company offering relaxing, communal crafting for anyone who wants to make something beautiful and cool. SCHEDULE & LOCATIONS
Weekends through 12/16
• Hawkins/Hawkins: One Saw Everything, One Saw Nothing This exhibition brings together two masters of self-taught art who share a name and a talent for using simple materials to create compelling images: William Hawkins and Hawkins Bolden. The creations of these two artists, one possessing a keen sense of touch and the other a unique vision of the world around him, have a powerful impact when viewed side by side in this exhibition.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• Fabulous Frames & Art 2012 Charley Harper Show Everything Charley Harper at this show! Unveiling of 4 new Harper giclee prints, available as a portfolio or individually. Also check out the new Todd Oldham-Fishs Eddy dishware line.
Fabulous Frames & Art | 10817 Montgomery Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
12/1: 11am - 5pm
• Ligne Roset Sample Sale Ligne Roset, the renowned French furniture and lifestyle brand, is hosting a sample sale. The discount will be up to 60% below retail price. The sale is valid only at the Houston Ligne Roset location.
Ligne Roset | 2800 Kirby Drive, Houston, Texas 77098
• Unique LA Holiday Show The largest made-in-America shopping event in the country, Unique LA is a two-day event that is curated to showcase the best made-in-America goods out there. Just in time for the holiday shopping season, this modern 'alternative to the mall' brings together over 350 of the best American designers, artists and merchants - making it easy to buy local and support USA's economy while discovering great design. On top of shopping there is free fun for all including DIY workshops, a photo booth, free drinks and more.
California Market Center | 110 East Ninth Street, Los Angeles, California 90079
12/1 - 12/2: 11am - 6pm
• Sunja Park Ceramics Seconds Sale Sunja Park continues the mid-century California pottery tradition with this 3rd annual sale. Cracked, chipped and loney stoneware vessels, plus odds n' ends.
Resource LA Office, 1607 Angelus Ave., Silverlake 90026
12/1: 12pm - 3pm
• "Work and Non Work" by Susie Ghahremani Susie Ghahremani of Boygirlparty presents "Work and Non Work," a new art show with over 100 new paintings and a new mural installation. This exhibition emphasizes the experimentation and play of Ghahremani's miniatures and drawings that she'll be showing juxtaposed with the framed pieces.
Giant Robot | 2062 Sawtelle Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90025
Opening Reception: 11/17: 6:30pm - 10pm
Exhibit: Through 12/5
• Holiday Crawl Fundraiser This charity event and toy drive benefiting LA Orthopaedic Hospital Foundation features over a dozen interior design showrooms in the La Cienega Design Quarter in West Hollywood are participating. Interior design enthusiasts and designers alike can participate and enjoy cocktails, hors d'ouvres and great company.
Holiday Crawl | 200-1000 Blocks La Cienega Boulevard, West Hollywood CA 90211
12/6: 5pm - 10pm
• Walk On Tile 10th Anniversary Promotion Walk On Tile announces their 10th anniversary special promotion "We Love Our Neighbors @ WalkOn Tile" with 10% additional discount on In-stock tile.
Walk on Tile | 12353 Wilshire Boulevard, West Los Angeles, California 90025
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and international reputation for unrestrained creativity.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
• Brooklyn Visits Heath LA Heath is bringing the designs of Brooklyn to California for a show called Brooklyn Visits Heath. Co-curated by Heath Ceramics and Brooklyn stylist Pam Morris, this six-week show runs simultaneously in Heath's San Francisco and Los Angeles stores. Heath is highlighting exceptional craft products for the table and home by Brooklyn-based artisans and designers. A holiday-friendly show, this is the perfect opportunity to shop unique designs for holiday gifts.
Heath Ceramics | 7525 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
Opening Reception: 12/1: 5pm - 8pm
Show though 01/13
• Carroll Street Holiday Market Astoria Market teams up with Astoria-based Handcrafting Justice--a program that provides access to Fair Trade crafts and goods made by women around the world--to present the first ever Carroll Street Holiday Market. Fair Trade gifts from the 2,500 square-foot Hall at the Old First Reformed Church will provide money to artisans working to get their families out of poverty.
Old First Reformed Church | 729 Carroll Street, Brooklyn, New York 11215
12/1: 12pm - 4pm
• Mid Century Modern Design Panel In celebration of the publication of Judith Miller's Mid-Century Modern: Living with Mid-Century Modern Design, the AIA NY Interiors Committee along with Knoll, Inc. are presenting a panel discussion on the enduring impact of Mid-Century Design. Panelists include Judith Miller, Benjamin Pardo of Knoll and Aidan O'Connor of MoMA and moderated by Terry Trucco. RSVP
Knoll Studios | 76 Ninth Avenue, 11th floor, New York, New York 10011
12/3: 6pm - 8pm
• Jeffrey Maron: Devotion Affirmation Arts presents Jeffrey Maron: Devotion, a retrospective of Maron's sculptural work that spans 16 years (1976--2012). Jeffrey Maron's work is self-described as "contemporary animism," drawing on spiritual experiences to transform metals and other materials into works of art. His creative process comprises mind, body and spirit, producing pieces that have their own intrinsic energy and animistic themes. Maron's work is characterized by paradoxes; it is tough and beautiful, religious and sensual, reminiscent of familiar symbols, yet unique.
Affirmation Arts | 523 West 37th Street, New York, New York 10018
• Kartell Holiday Promotion Enjoy 20% off all Kartell accessories.
Kartell | 39 Greene Street, New York, New York 10013
• Tufenkian Artisan Carpets Create Your Own Nook: One-of-a-Kind 2'x3' Carpet Sale
Tufenkian Artisan Carpets | 919 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• Brooklyn Night Bazaar Inspired by the night markets across Asia, Brooklyn Night Bazaar brings together more than 200 of the borough's most creative independent vendors, musicians, chefs, artists, breweries and wineries.
Brooklyn Night Bazaar | 45 North 5th Street, Brooklyn, New York 11211
Friday & Saturdays through 12/22
• Rico Clearance Event Great opportunities just in time for the holidays. Major markdowns on all showroom models: sofas, sleepers, media cabinets, hardwood dining tables and chairs, coffee and end tables, and occasional pieces. Large inventory of lighting, decorative pillows, large vases and art prints. Big variety of hand-knotted area rugs. Cherry pencil post single bed, upholstered single or day bed. Large collection of antique handcrafted industrial decorative patterns, and men's vintage/resale apparel and accessories.
Rico | 546 Third Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11215
• PEDINI's Display Kitchens For Sale PEDINI NY is making room for new displays. PEDINI NY has all new Italian Display Kitchens for Sale! Shop the PEDINI NY annual Display Kitchens Sale and save up to 70% on high-quality Italian designed, award-winning, contemporary kitchen cabinetry. Drop by our Tribeca showroom and let us show you around. Time is of the essence! If you stop in soon you can score a great deal on not only cabinetry, but also counter-tops, appliances and plumbing fixtures. Since we are making room for new collections, it is the most opportune time to buy one of our elite Contemporary Display Kitchens at half of the normal price.
PEDINI | 40 Lispenard Street, New York, New York 10013
• Calligaris Holiday Sales Event Lowest prices of the year on Calligaris. Vibrant and affordable, Calligaris contemporary designs are expertly crafted in Italy.
Jensen Lewis | 89 7th Avenue New York, New York 10011
Jensen Lewis | 969 3rd Avenue New York, New York 10022
• Kate's Diner at Rebecca Hossack Gallery UK artist Kate Jenkins will be exhibiting at Rebecca Hossack Gallery NYC. Throughout her exhibition, Kate's Diner, the gallery will be transformed into an American style diner. A crocheting genius and one of the UK's most original and innovative artists, Jenkins has crafted New York pizzas, burgers and fries, American doughnuts, pretzels and many iconic famous food and drink items usually associated with eateries in New York.
Rebecca Hossack Gallery | 262 Mott Street, New York, New York 10012
12/5 - 12/31
• Mud, Sweat and Cheer Mudshark Studios has brought together the Portland art community with a month long holiday pop up shop
blending craft, clay and gallery work into one holiday shopping experience. Holiday shoppers can find Growlers from the Portland Growler Company, functional vessels of all kinds from well known clay artists like Victoria Christen, Chris Baskin, Kowkie Durst, Rabun Thompson, Jason Lee Starin, Puji Sheer, Barb Jenson, Brett Binford, Chris Pate, Joshua Kovarik, Zachary Wollert, Allie Bentley and many others, creating sculptural and decorative pieces, ornaments and more from local favorites and up and coming talent alike.
Mudshark Studios | 922 SW Yamhill Street, Portland, Oregon 97205
• CCA Holiday Fair CCA's idyllic Oakland campus becomes a bustling arts bazaar for a day. The public is invited to shop for one-of-a-kind, handmade, affordable gifts created by the CCA community: paintings, drawings, prints, cards, jewelry, ceramics, hand-blown glass, clothing, photography, textiles, ornaments, and more. Discover unique gifts while enjoying live jazz music and holiday treats.
California College of Arts | 5212 Broadway, Oakland, California 94618
12/1: 11am - 3pm
• Waterworks December Private Sale Waterworks Private Sale is a Home sale which happens only twice a year. The Sale includes all made to order textiles, wall mounted accessories, and furnishings products from Waterworks. The San Francisco showroom will also be collecting canned foods during the month of December that will be donated to the San Francisco Food Bank.
Waterworks | 235 Kansas Street, San Francisco, California 94103
12/3 - 12/8
• This is My World by Lisa Congdon at Rare Device This is my World is a glimpse inside the brain of San Francisco artist and illustrator, Lisa Congdon. Congdon, long obsessed with the fusion of color, shape and pattern on unlikely surfaces, brings us a show of of small works, painted objects, zines and hand made books. Congdon has combined hand lettering, hand-drawn pattern, and her usual dose of bold color onto paper, vintage ephemera and wood to create an array of pieces that will dazzle even the most sullen observer.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, California 94117
Exhibit: Through 12/21
• Nantucket Home Holiday Sale Save up to 60% off all rugs and lamps during the huge holiday sale.
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway Street, Chico, California 95928
• Shana Astrachan Holiday Glamour Boutique Local designer and metalsmith, Shana Astrachan, presents A Holiday Glamour Boutique at Rare Device. Shana's love of vintage crafts and glamorous interiors have shaped the objects she created exclusively for this holiday seasons annual pop-up shop. She brings you unique collaborations and works of other designers along with her handcrafted line of jewelry, accessories, paper goods and beauty products. Come visit and experience Shana's crafty nod to eras gone by.
Rare Device | 600 Divisadero St., San Francisco, California 94117
• Brooklyn Visits Heath SF Heath is bringing the designs of Brooklyn to California for a show called Brooklyn Visits Heath. Co-curated by Heath Ceramics and Brooklyn stylist Pam Morris, this six-week show runs simultaneously in Heath's San Francisco and Los Angeles stores. Heath is highlighting exceptional craft products for the table and home by Brooklyn-based artisans and designers. A holiday-friendly show, this is the perfect opportunity to shop unique designs for holiday gifts.
Heath Ceramics | 2900 18th Street, San Francisco, California 94110
Opening Reception: 11/30: 5pm - 8pm
Show though 01/13
• Fenton Street Market Holiday Market Fenton Street Market is a local handmade, vintage and import crafts market in Downtown Silver Spring that runs weekly from April to October of each year. This year they are having their first ever holiday markets. There will be over 100 vendors selling everything from handmade clothing and jewelry, ceramics, wooden toys and books to vintage housewares, bath and body products, crafts and imports. You can easily knock off everyone on your list in one trip.
Veteran's Plaza | Fenton Street and Ellisworth Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910
12/22: 10am - 4pm
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
(Images: Artemide Lighting Sale at AllModern, Kate's Diner at Rebecca Hossack Gallery, Winter Wanderlust Holiday Poster Show, Marimekko Kitchen & Dining Sale