Looking for something to do this weekend? How about the 43rd Annual South End House Tour in Boston? Or maybe the Albany-Carroll Arts Building Open House in Chicago? You could also check out Room & Board's New Accessories Event in New York. Or, you could just stay in and shop the many online sales we've rounded up. Check out the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Docomomo US Tour Day The modern architecture advocacy organization, Docomomo US, is hosting the fifth annual Docomomo US Tour Day. With 34 tours in 21 states and new tours are posting weekly, Tour Day has become the nation's largest annual architecture event.
• Bambeco's Annual Rug Sale Receive 20% off all styles and colors. Includes everything from Bamboo Silky Shag Rugs (chenille inspired shag rugs in bold colors) to Jute Rugs, Jute & Wool Rugs, Natural Blend Rugs (Jute, Abaca, Hemp, Coir), Sisal Grass Rugs, Villager and Mountain Bamboo Weave Rugs, Wood Chair Mats (natural or dark cherry wood) and Doormats. Plus get free shipping on orders over $100.
• Conversation Pieces Pillow Sale Pillow talk priced right! 50% off sale on Conversation Pieces Pillows by artist Heather Lins.
• YLighting's Artemide Lighting Sale Save 15% on Artemide Lighting and get free shipping.
• Lumens' The Design Event Save up to 40% on modern favorites from 28 top brands including designs from Artemide, Cerno, David Trubridge, Roll & Hill, Tom Dixon + more.
• Modani Furniture Anniversary Sale Modani Furniture is celebrating in style with big sales across every department, from outdoor furniture to bedroom and living room designs.
Online and in showrooms
• Fall Furniture Sale Vermont Woods Studios has extended their bedroom sale. There's still time to save up to 15% on the entire line of Vermont handcrafted wood bedroom furniture. Plus, get free shipping.
• The Shade Store Woven Woods Sale All Woven Woods at The Shade Store are on sale 10% off. The Shade Store's Woven Wood Shades are a natural design option for any stylish interior. All are hand-made using the finest environmentally responsible materials available.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• CB2's Unlock Affordable Modern Modern furniture brand CB2 is kicking off "Unlock Affordable Modern," a unique multi-city initiative that will run from October 1 through December 18. CB2 street teams dressed in signature CB2 orange will travel to 11 urban markets across the U.S. and Canada, giving away $100,000 in total prizes via 95,000 uniquely coded orange keys, which customers can bring into stores for a chance to win CB2 Shop Cards ranging in value from $10 to $1000. INFORMATION & LIST OF CITIES/DATES
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• DwellStudio Furniture Launch Party DwellStudio Furniture Collection Launch Party at dane decor downtown in Old City. Christiane Lemeiux, founder of DwellStudio and author, will be on hand to sign her new book Undecorate: The No-rules Approach to Interior Design (limited quanity available). Join the wine and cheese reception for this DesignPhiladelphia event.
Dane Decor | 315 Arch Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106
10/14: 6pm - 9pm
• 43rd Annual South End House Tour The South End Historical Society presents a self-guided walking tour of homes in Boston's South End. TICKETS
The South End Historical Society | 532 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
10/15: 10am - 5pm
• Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object International Poster Gallery proudly presents "Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object", a first-of-its-kind exhibition of original vintage Object Posters from the 1920s to the 1940s, offered as precursors to the controversial and explosive Pop Art movement of the 1960s and 1970s. The exhibition features 30 posters from Object Poster masters like Herbert Leupin, Otto Baumberger and Peter Birkhauser.
International Poster Gallery | 205 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• Albany-Carroll Arts Building Open House 25+ artists and designers participate in a building-wide open studio in one of Chicago's most creative corridors.
Albany Carrol Arts Building | 319 North Albany, Chicago, Illinois 60612
10/15 - 10/16: 12pm - 6pm
• Susan Fredman at Home Grand Opening Join Chicago-based Susan Fredman Design Group as they celebrate the grand opening of the new design studio and store (Susan Fredman at Home) in Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, a suburb of Milwaukee. Enjoy presentations from design and building experts, a Michael Aram trunk show and shop with an exclusive discount. RSVP
Susan Fredman at Home | 401 East Silver Spring Drive, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin 53217
10/22: 11am - 5pm
• Thomasville of Oak Brook Grand Opening Visit the newest Chicago location in Oak Brook Promenade and to enter to win a $1,000 gift card and tour the beautiful showroom.
Thomasville | 3011 Butterfield Road, Suite 110, Oak Brook, Illinois 60523
• Jayson Home Upholstery Sale Take 20% off all upholstery, both in stock and custom order, at the Jayson Home Fall Upholstery Sale. Sale includes all upholstered sofas, sectionals, chairs, beds, chaises, and ottomans.
Jayson Home & Garden | 1885 N Clybourn Ave, Chicago IL 60614
• Hydrology's hSale This luxury sample sale is Hydrology's solution to make room to update its showroom with new contemporary 2012 designs and more transitional and traditional designs, while also offering high-end "nowhere else" designs at remarkable discounted prices. Hydrology's hSale will reflect up to a 70 percent savings on fine European designs, most of which can be found nowhere else, including bathtubs, vanities, consoles, porcelainware, medicine cabinets, accessories, spa equipment, shower systems and mirrors.
Hydrology | 435 North LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• MAK Center Fall Fundraiser 2011 In conjunction with the exhibition Sympathetic Seeing: Esther McCoy and the Heart of American Modernist Architecture and Design, the MAK Center for Art and Architecture at the Schindler House is pleased to open the Lovell Beach House (R.M. Schindler, 1926) in Newport Beach for public tours. TICKETS
Lovell Beach House | 1242 West Ocean Front, Newport Beach, California 92661
10/16: 10am - 6pm
• Anisotropy/Anisotropie SCI-Arc is pleased to announce the exhibition Anisotropy/Anisotropie by Paris-based architecture firm Odile Decq Benoît Cornette. Constructed of mirror-clad walls that create a series of unique geometric spaces, the installation invites visitors to make their way through these spaces while experiencing a constant play of reflection and illusions. Decq's exhibition aims to induce a sensory experience, both vivid and discomforting, one that pulls the human mind in various directions simultaneously. The primary geometry of each space is the triangle, but by inclining the walls at different angles, the architect forces visitors to perceive the space as something different. Furthermore, due to the reflective quality of the walls, as visitors move through the space, they experience each of its sections as being infinite. Each is dis-functional--as to alter and obscure the perception we construct of the space--and each places the mind in a constant state of disorientation: first in time, then in place, and finally in person.
SCI-Arc Gallery | 960 East 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90013
10/14 - 12/4
• Eames Designs: The Guest Host Relationship This exhibit uses Eames words to focus on the lesser-known aspects of their lives, revealing their appreciation of the value of humble objects and useful tools. Their insights about the simple pleasures of daily life will be illustrated with objects and materials available during their lifetimes and contemporary examples from the world around us. TICKETS
A+D Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Artek Fall Sample Sale Artek, the renowned Finnish furniture and lighting design company, is hosting its first ever sample sale. Designs from Alvar Aalto, Eero Aarnio, Shigeru Ban, Naoto Fukasawa, Enzo Mari, Juha Leiviska and Ilmari Tapiovaara, as well as discontinued items and showroom floor samples will be discounted up to 60%.
Artek | 199 Lafayette Street, New York, New York 10012
10/14 - 10/16
• PS 11 Fall Festival A fundraiser event for a Chelsea school with over 100 Etsy vendors selling crafts. Food, fun for the kids and baked goods as well!
PS 11 | 320 West 21st Street, New York, New York 10011
10/15: 10am - 5pm
• 5th Annual Designer Visions: Cinema Style New York has served as the backdrop for some of cinema's most stylish movies. Now, House Beautiful, Town & Country and Veranda magazines - along with some today's most celebrated designers - have created three spectacular residences, inspired by 3 classic films. A donation of $35 provides admission to tour the Designer Visions: Cinema Style residence.
Designer Visions | 1212 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10029
10/15: 11am - 4pm
10/16: 11am - 4pm
• Pratt Pop Up Designing Hope launches their new design collaboration with Tilonia, fusing contemporary design with traditional
craftsmanship. Come see and shop the new collection, and join in celebrating this design collaboration with the artisans of Tilonia.
Dekalb Market | 138 Willoughby Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201
• Brooklyn Vintage Crawl Brooklyn Vintage Crawl will feature a designated bargain hunt through the best vintage shops in Williamsburg and Greenpoint. Participating shops are featuring special pieces from their collections, as well as promotional discounts on various items. Local bars along the path are also teaming with the group to offer drink specials or appropriately themed "Vintage Cocktails". Sunday's crawl will culminate in an after-party at Union Pool in Williamsburg starting at 6pm.
10/16: 12pm - 6pm
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people's needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• Flos Customer Appreciation Night Flos, the renowned Italian lighting design company, will hold Customer Appreciation Night in their showroom. All merchandise will be discounted 20% on the evening of the event, excepting the Hooo!!! and Haaa!!! lamps designed by Philippe Starck. Pre-orders will be taken prior to the event for pickup that evening, and orders taken at the event will drop ship as product availability allows. RSVP
FLOS | 152 Greene Street, New York, New York 10012
10/18: 6pm - 8pm
• Room & Board: New Accessories Event Be among the first to see the new collection of handcrafted accessories. Explore the latest looks in rugs, pillows, wall art, bedding, lighting and more. Browse the store while you enjoy light refreshments and enter to win one of our new accessories. Bring in photos or questions about your home's design challenges and their expert Design Associates will show you how to transform your space.
Room & Board | 105 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10012
10/15 - 10/18
• The Marble Soul ABC Stone is pleased to present an exhibition of sculptural artist: Oriano Galloni , Rogerio Timoteo and Stephen Shaheen. The works of these remarkable sculptors will be displayed against a backdrop of ABC's precious onyx, historic marble, and Santamargherita's agglomerate stone, Through this juxtaposition We hope to give viewers a better understanding of the sculptural process by showcasing carved masterworks alongside the raw materials from which they were derived.
ABC Stone | 234 Banker Street, Brooklyn, New York 11222
• Design Like You Give a Damn Architecture for Humanity hosts a Panel and Discussion Series: "Design Like You Give a Damn: LIVE!" — a practitioners' forum of innovative panel discussions and workshops. This event brings together designers, architects, philanthropists, media and business representatives under one roof to talk about the collective challenges, goals and lessons learned in humanitarian design and how to move the field forward. A Design Open Mic lets emerging and established designers and architects take the stage to present their projects to an audience hungry to soak up new ideas. One-on-one workshops with community development experts ensures participants go away with real lessons learned.
Architecture for Humanity | 536 Laguardia Place, New York, New York 10012
10/22: 12pm - 6pm
• Tools at Schools Exhibition The collaborative vision of the classroom today, designed by forty-four 8th graders from The School at Columbia University, exhibited as a full-scale conception opening at The Museum of Arts and Design. The exhibit immerses audiences in the entire Tools at Schools program - experiencing the process of design, from ideation to modeling, first hand. Attendees will walk away recognizing the role design plays in early education, and it's role in everyday problem solving.
Museum of Arts and Design | 2 Columbus Circle, 6th Floor Classroom Space, New York, New York 10019
10/15 - 11/6
• Jensen-Lewis Grand Opening Calligaris Sale With the Grand Opening of their new 10,000 sqft. showroom in New York's Design District, Jensen-Lewis is offering 30% off in stock and special order Calligaris items. Most items in stock for 1 week delivery. Most items in stock for 1 week delivery.
Jensen Lewis | 969 3rd Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
9/8 - 11/30
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Professional Organizers Conference Do you wish you were more organized in your home or small business? The San Francisco Bay Area chapter of the National Association of Professional Organizers is holding its annual conference and tips and techniques for greater effectiveness in your personal or professional life are sure to be flowing freely! The event promises an inspiring and energizing program of speakers, with plentiful organizing and small business advice for anyone who would like to make their life more efficient and productive.
Berkeley City Club | 2315 Durant Avenue, Berkeley, California 94704
10/14: 6pm- 7:30pm
10/15: 8am - 5:30pm
• Modernism Through the Ages - The Junior League of San Francisco (JLSF) is proud to present its 17th Annual Home Tour – Modernism Through the Ages – sponsored by Dwell magazine and featuring their first-ever Showhome. Inspired by the union of classic San Francisco architecture with modern and contemporary design, the prominent fundraising tour will spotlight a collection of private homes throughout the Sea Cliff neighborhood. Attendees will enjoy spectacular private tours and will be able to view the 2011 Dwell Showhome. TICKETS
Modernism Through the Ages Showhome | Sea Cliff, San Francisco, California
Preview Gala: 10/22: 5pm - 11pm
Main Event: 10/23: 9am - 4pm
Show House Tours: 10/28 - 10/30
• Pinkalicious Book Event Meet Victoria Kann, author of the award-winning Pinkalicious children's book series, as she reads and signs her book Pinkalicious and the Pink Pumpkin. RSVP
Room & Board | 1840 14th Street NW, Washington DC 20009
10/15: 11am - 1pm
Send it to us. We publish every week:
Images: As credited above.