The Perfectly Imperfect Home with Deborah Needleman, Creative Classics Furniture
You may be busy chasing the ghosts and ghouls this Halloween weekend but you may want to take some time to outfit your own little castle, be it haunted or not. We've rounded up a selection of national, regional and online sales and events to keep you inspired. Check out the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• The Shade Store Woven Woods Sale All Woven Woods at The Shade Store are on sale 10% off. The Shade Store's Woven Wood Shades are a natural design option for any stylish interior. All are hand-made using the finest environmentally responsible materials available.
• CoolWallArt.com October Sale Check out the October sale, including discounted Paul Frank wall decals, at CoolWallArt.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Cloud Noir Art Sale Take 25% off all contemporary art.
• Studio North Design Launch & Sale Check out the Big Table Launch and take 25% off all tabletop accessories!
• CB2's Unlock Affordable Modern Modern furniture brand CB2 is kicking off "Unlock Affordable Modern," a unique multi-city initiative that will run from October 1 through December 18. CB2 street teams dressed in signature CB2 orange will travel to 11 urban markets across the U.S. and Canada, giving away $100,000 in total prizes via 95,000 uniquely coded orange keys, which customers can bring into stores for a chance to win CB2 Shop Cards ranging in value from $10 to $1000. INFORMATION & LIST OF CITIES/DATES
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object International Poster Gallery proudly presents "Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object", a first-of-its-kind exhibition of original vintage Object Posters from the 1920s to the 1940s, offered as precursors to the controversial and explosive Pop Art movement of the 1960s and 1970s. The exhibition features 30 posters from Object Poster masters like Herbert Leupin, Otto Baumberger and Peter Birkhauser.
International Poster Gallery | 205 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• Jayson Home Upholstery Sale Take 20% off all upholstery, both in stock and custom order, at the Jayson Home Fall Upholstery Sale. Sale includes all upholstered sofas, sectionals, chairs, beds, chaises, and ottomans.
Jayson Home & Garden | 1885 N Clybourn Ave, Chicago IL 60614
• Hydrology's hSale This luxury sample sale is Hydrology's solution to make room to update its showroom with new contemporary 2012 designs and more transitional and traditional designs, while also offering high-end "nowhere else" designs at remarkable discounted prices. Hydrology's hSale will reflect up to a 70 percent savings on fine European designs, most of which can be found nowhere else, including bathtubs, vanities, consoles, porcelainware, medicine cabinets, accessories, spa equipment, shower systems and mirrors.
Hydrology | 435 North LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Anisotropy/Anisotropie SCI-Arc is pleased to announce the exhibition Anisotropy/Anisotropie by Paris-based architecture firm Odile Decq Benoît Cornette. Constructed of mirror-clad walls that create a series of unique geometric spaces, the installation invites visitors to make their way through these spaces while experiencing a constant play of reflection and illusions. Decq's exhibition aims to induce a sensory experience, both vivid and discomforting, one that pulls the human mind in various directions simultaneously. The primary geometry of each space is the triangle, but by inclining the walls at different angles, the architect forces visitors to perceive the space as something different. Furthermore, due to the reflective quality of the walls, as visitors move through the space, they experience each of its sections as being infinite. Each is dis-functional--as to alter and obscure the perception we construct of the space--and each places the mind in a constant state of disorientation: first in time, then in place, and finally in person.
SCI-Arc Gallery | 960 East 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90013
• Eames Designs: The Guest Host Relationship This exhibit uses Eames words to focus on the lesser-known aspects of their lives, revealing their appreciation of the value of humble objects and useful tools. Their insights about the simple pleasures of daily life will be illustrated with objects and materials available during their lifetimes and contemporary examples from the world around us. TICKETS
A+D Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Poltrona Frau Group Warehouse Sale Up to 70% off showroom samples, overstock and selected items from three premier Italian furniture makers: Cassina, Poltrona Frau, Cappellini. Shuttle bus service available from train station to warehouse.
Poltrona Frau Group | 200 McKay Road, Huntington Station, New York 11746
• Pongtopia! Table tennis has catapulted out of your parents' basement and landed in the hippest hot spots in America. Pongtopia! will showcase this popular sport via world-class player battles, a Corporate Challenge for charity, the New York Metro area's most amazing players competing for the Brookfield Cup championship, top pros offering advice on topspin, and tables & paddles painted by legendary graffiti artists on display and on sale to benefit Operation Design and its work with PS/IS 276.
World Financial Center | 200 Vesey Street, New York, New York 10282
11/3: 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10pm
11/4: 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10pm
11/5: 12pm - 5pm
• Tools at Schools Exhibition The collaborative vision of the classroom today, designed by forty-four 8th graders from The School at Columbia University, exhibited as a full-scale conception opening at The Museum of Arts and Design. The exhibit immerses audiences in the entire Tools at Schools program - experiencing the process of design, from ideation to modeling, first hand. Attendees will walk away recognizing the role design plays in early education, and it's role in everyday problem solving.
Museum of Arts and Design | 2 Columbus Circle, 6th Floor Classroom Space, New York, New York 10019
• Jensen-Lewis Grand Opening Calligaris Sale With the Grand Opening of their new 10,000 sqft. showroom in New York's Design District, Jensen-Lewis is offering 30% off in stock and special order Calligaris items. Most items in stock for 1 week delivery. Most items in stock for 1 week delivery.
Jensen Lewis | 969 3rd Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• The Perfectly Imperfect Home: Essential Elements for Decorating and Living The creative mastermind and founding editor-in-chief of Domino Magazine, Deborah Needleman, has definite ideas about the 80 items that are necessary for a livable, comfortable and undeniably stylish home. Hear Needleman's tips on choosing pieces that are classic, timeless and iconic. TICKETS
92YTribeca LECTURE HALL | 200 Hudson Street, New York, New York 10013
• GD Cucine Sale GD Cucine is having a sale on limited edition furniture and carpeting from the Cleto Munari Collection. Items are discounted 25% and for every piece sold GD will also donate 5% to benefit Design Trust for Public Space.
GD Cucine Flagship | 227 West 17th Street, New York, New York 10011
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Modernism Through the Ages The Junior League of San Francisco (JLSF) is proud to present its 17th Annual Home Tour – Modernism Through the Ages – sponsored by Dwell magazine and featuring their first-ever Showhome. Inspired by the union of classic San Francisco architecture with modern and contemporary design, the prominent fundraising tour will spotlight a collection of private homes throughout the Sea Cliff neighborhood. Attendees will enjoy spectacular private tours and will be able to view the 2011 Dwell Showhome. TICKETS
Modernism Through the Ages Showhome | Sea Cliff, San Francisco, California
Preview Gala: 10/22: 5pm - 11pm
Main Event: 10/23: 9am - 4pm
Show House Tours: 10/28 - 10/30
• Propeller Nanimarquina Rug SALE Award-winning designer Nani Marquina is credited with pioneering the modernization of rug design. Stop by Propeller to see, touch and feel what the fuss is about and take advantage of a special, first-ever sale, with 20% savings on Nanimarquina rugs.
Propeller | 555 Hayes Street, San Francisco, California 94102
• Haven Sample Sale In store floor samples on sale at Haven's The Art of Nesting Fall Sample Sale. Choose from American Leather Sofa/Sleepers, Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Sofas, upholstered chairs, lighting and rugs.
Haven | 1444 Burlingame Ave, Burlingame, California 94010
• Ligne Roset Seattle Sample Sale The Ligne Roset store is hosting their October Sample Sale.
Ligne Roset | 112 Westlake Avenue North, Seattle, Washington 98109
• Trick or Treat with the Boutiques Bring your ghosts and goblins for a day of trick or treat in the Old Town Boutique District. All of the participating OTBD stores will offer treats. Some may also offer family friendly tricks. Halloween costumes are encouraged. Tricks and treats will be available during store hours.
Old Town Boutique District | 400 King Street Alexandria, Virginia 22314
10/29: 11am - 6pm
• Creative Classics Furniture Creative Classics is excited to introduce a new line of upholstered sofas and chairs designed by Dwell Studio that have just arrived at their showroom in Old Town Alexandria. Dwell Studio is known for their signature prints, sense of color and unique, uncluttered style. Stop by and "test drive" these great new sofas and chairs!
Creative Classics | 906 King Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Send it to us. We publish every week:
Images: As credited above.