It's time once again to map out your weekend and we're here to help with the Weekend Guide. This week we're seeing some really cool regional events — Unison's Fall Warehouse Sale in Chicago, the Missoni Home trunk show in Beverly Hills, and the Ligne Roset sample sale in Philadelphia, to name a few. There are also plenty of sales you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home. So check out the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Greentea Design Kitchen and Bath Sale Get 20% off on exquisite handcrafted Asian-inspired kitchen and bathroom furniture.
• Fall Furniture Sale Vermont Woods Studios has extended their bedroom sale. There's still time to save up to 15% on the entire line of Vermont handcrafted wood bedroom furniture. Plus, get free shipping.
• The Shade Store Woven Woods Sale All Woven Woods at The Shade Store are on sale 10% off. The Shade Store's Woven Wood Shades are a natural design option for any stylish interior. All are hand-made using the finest environmentally responsible materials available.
• CoolWallArt.com October Sale Check out the October sale, including discounted Paul Frank wall decals, at CoolWallArt.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Studio North Design Launch & Sale Check out the Big Table Launch and take 25% off all tabletop accessories!
• CB2's Unlock Affordable Modern Modern furniture brand CB2 is kicking off "Unlock Affordable Modern," a unique multi-city initiative that will run from October 1 through December 18. CB2 street teams dressed in signature CB2 orange will travel to 11 urban markets across the U.S. and Canada, giving away $100,000 in total prizes via 95,000 uniquely coded orange keys, which customers can bring into stores for a chance to win CB2 Shop Cards ranging in value from $10 to $1000. INFORMATION & LIST OF CITIES/DATES
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object International Poster Gallery proudly presents "Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object", a first-of-its-kind exhibition of original vintage Object Posters from the 1920s to the 1940s, offered as precursors to the controversial and explosive Pop Art movement of the 1960s and 1970s. The exhibition features 30 posters from Object Poster masters like Herbert Leupin, Otto Baumberger and Peter Birkhauser.
International Poster Gallery | 205 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• Artview in Lakeview Lakeview's best galleries and art spaces are highlighted in this free art tour. A complimentary trolley will be available to take visitors to the participating galleries and art spaces on the tour. At each venue, besides the fine art that is available for sale, tour members may enjoy refreshments and samples from Lakeview establishments.
The Leigh Gallery | 3306 N. Halsted Street, Chicago, Illinois 60657
10/21: 5pm - 9pm
• Susan Fredman at Home Grand Opening Join Chicago-based Susan Fredman Design Group as they celebrate the grand opening of the new design studio and store (Susan Fredman at Home) in Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, a suburb of Milwaukee. Enjoy presentations from design and building experts, a Michael Aram trunk show and shop with an exclusive discount. RSVP
Susan Fredman at Home | 401 East Silver Spring Drive, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin 53217
10/22: 11am - 5pm
• Unison Fall Warehouse Sale Shop first quality bedding at 50% off — returns and samples discounted up to 80% off. Also, one-time low prices on brand new bedding and blankets! Plus scrap fabric and other gifts.
Unison | 2000 West Fulton Street, Chicago, Illinois 60612
10/21 - 10/23
• Thomasville of Oak Brook Grand Opening Visit the newest Chicago location in Oak Brook Promenade and to enter to win a $1,000 gift card and tour the beautiful showroom.
Thomasville | 3011 Butterfield Road, Suite 110, Oak Brook, Illinois 60523
• Jayson Home Upholstery Sale Take 20% off all upholstery, both in stock and custom order, at the Jayson Home Fall Upholstery Sale. Sale includes all upholstered sofas, sectionals, chairs, beds, chaises, and ottomans.
Jayson Home & Garden | 1885 N Clybourn Ave, Chicago IL 60614
• Hydrology's hSale This luxury sample sale is Hydrology's solution to make room to update its showroom with new contemporary 2012 designs and more transitional and traditional designs, while also offering high-end "nowhere else" designs at remarkable discounted prices. Hydrology's hSale will reflect up to a 70 percent savings on fine European designs, most of which can be found nowhere else, including bathtubs, vanities, consoles, porcelainware, medicine cabinets, accessories, spa equipment, shower systems and mirrors.
Hydrology | 435 North LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• The Growing Experience Lecture, Tour & Lunch Join in the discussion, "The Role of Architecture in the Urban Farm", as it specifically pertains to Long Beach. Following the lecture will be a tour of the Growing Experience, an active urban farm, and food made from locally sourced produce. Hands-on kids activity will be available to children during the lecture. REGISTRATION
The Growing Experience | 750 Via Carmelitos, Long Beach, California 90805
10/22: 10am - 12:30pm
• Missoni Home Trunk Show Meet Rosita Missona at the Missoni Home collection trunk show at the Missoni Boutique on Rodeo Drive. The full Missoni Home 11 collection will be on display and available for purchase.
Missoni Boutique | 469 North Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, California 90210
10/24: 1pm - 5pm
• Anisotropy/Anisotropie SCI-Arc is pleased to announce the exhibition Anisotropy/Anisotropie by Paris-based architecture firm Odile Decq Benoît Cornette. Constructed of mirror-clad walls that create a series of unique geometric spaces, the installation invites visitors to make their way through these spaces while experiencing a constant play of reflection and illusions. Decq's exhibition aims to induce a sensory experience, both vivid and discomforting, one that pulls the human mind in various directions simultaneously. The primary geometry of each space is the triangle, but by inclining the walls at different angles, the architect forces visitors to perceive the space as something different. Furthermore, due to the reflective quality of the walls, as visitors move through the space, they experience each of its sections as being infinite. Each is dis-functional--as to alter and obscure the perception we construct of the space--and each places the mind in a constant state of disorientation: first in time, then in place, and finally in person.
SCI-Arc Gallery | 960 East 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90013
• Eames Designs: The Guest Host Relationship This exhibit uses Eames words to focus on the lesser-known aspects of their lives, revealing their appreciation of the value of humble objects and useful tools. Their insights about the simple pleasures of daily life will be illustrated with objects and materials available during their lifetimes and contemporary examples from the world around us. TICKETS
A+D Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Design Like You Give a Damn Architecture for Humanity hosts a Panel and Discussion Series: "Design Like You Give a Damn: LIVE!" — a practitioners' forum of innovative panel discussions and workshops. This event brings together designers, architects, philanthropists, media and business representatives under one roof to talk about the collective challenges, goals and lessons learned in humanitarian design and how to move the field forward. A Design Open Mic lets emerging and established designers and architects take the stage to present their projects to an audience hungry to soak up new ideas. One-on-one workshops with community development experts ensures participants go away with real lessons learned.
Architecture for Humanity | 536 Laguardia Place, New York, New York 10012
10/22: 12pm - 6pm
• Tools at Schools Exhibition The collaborative vision of the classroom today, designed by forty-four 8th graders from The School at Columbia University, exhibited as a full-scale conception opening at The Museum of Arts and Design. The exhibit immerses audiences in the entire Tools at Schools program - experiencing the process of design, from ideation to modeling, first hand. Attendees will walk away recognizing the role design plays in early education, and it's role in everyday problem solving.
Museum of Arts and Design | 2 Columbus Circle, 6th Floor Classroom Space, New York, New York 10019
10/15 - 11/6
• Jensen-Lewis Grand Opening Calligaris Sale With the Grand Opening of their new 10,000 sqft. showroom in New York's Design District, Jensen-Lewis is offering 30% off in stock and special order Calligaris items. Most items in stock for 1 week delivery. Most items in stock for 1 week delivery.
Jensen Lewis | 969 3rd Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
9/8 - 11/30
• Ligne Roset Sample Sale The Ligne Roset store in Philly is having a sample sale with up to 60% off floor samples, overstock and discontinued items. Plus, take 10% off all new orders.
Ligne Roset | 4131 Main Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19127
10/21 - 10/23
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• LIMN Once-Every-30-Year Sale For the first time in LIMN's 30-year history they will be revealing the treasures hidden in their Sacramento design enclave. Save 50-80% off everything, with progressive markdowns taken each day of the sale.
LIMN | 501 Arden Way, Sacramento, California 98515
10/20 - 10/24
• Modernism Through the Ages - The Junior League of San Francisco (JLSF) is proud to present its 17th Annual Home Tour – Modernism Through the Ages – sponsored by Dwell magazine and featuring their first-ever Showhome. Inspired by the union of classic San Francisco architecture with modern and contemporary design, the prominent fundraising tour will spotlight a collection of private homes throughout the Sea Cliff neighborhood. Attendees will enjoy spectacular private tours and will be able to view the 2011 Dwell Showhome. TICKETS
Modernism Through the Ages Showhome | Sea Cliff, San Francisco, California
Preview Gala: 10/22: 5pm - 11pm
Main Event: 10/23: 9am - 4pm
Show House Tours: 10/28 - 10/30
• Urban Country 20th Anniversary Sale 20% off storwide, including special orders.
Urban Country | 7117 Arlington Road, Bethesda, Maryland 20814
Send it to us. We publish every week:
Images: As credited above.