No doubt you'll be spending your weekend bouncing around various Halloween parties dressed up like Honey Boo Boo. But if you're looking for something a little different for your weekend, take a look at our sales and events list. From online sales to in-store events, there's a little something for everyone. Check out the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your own sale or event
Shown, clockwise from top left: PEDINI's Display Kitchen Sale, The International Vintage Poster Fair, Vermont Woods Studios Bedroom Furniture Sale, Judy Ross Textiles Sample Sale
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Vermont Woods Studios Bedroom Furniture Sale Vermont Woods Studios has extended this bedroom furniture sale until Tuesday! Save up to 20% off fine hardwood bedroom furniture. Free shipping & lifetime guarantee.
• Company C Bedding Sale Save 25% off select bedding.
• Cool Chairz/Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Office Chair Sale In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, CoolChairz.com will donate $1 for every Pink Office Chair that is ordered in the month of October.
• Design Public/Rapson-Inc 15% Sale 15% off all Rapson-Inc products.
• The Pink Jalk Project Contemporary designers have given their own spin on Grete Jalk's classic chair to benefit the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
• Fawn & Forest Babyletto Sale Cross the crib mattress off the list, Fawn & Forest will give you one for free. For the month of October receive a free crib mattress with every Babyletto Crib purchase.
• MissoniHome Annual Sale MissoniHome is pleased to announce its Annual Sale, offering 15% off all products in their collection of furniture, textiles and accessories. Examples of sale items include the Nadal Throw, originally $2,185, now $1,857.25; the Noria Pouf, originally $1,345, now $1,143.25; the Nancho Pillow, originally $220, now $187 and many more.
Participating MissoniHome Retailers
• Wexel Art Displays Sale Select products on sale up to 20% off. Plus, get $10 flat rate shipping.
• AllModern October Lighting Event Save up to 20% off lighting from Zaneen, Varaluz, Qis Design, Anglepoise, Innermost, Itre, Kundalini, Rotaliana, and Absolut Lighting.
• Rejuvenation Period Basics Event Save 20% on select lighting and shades from Rejuvenation's most versatile collection of lighting.
Online & in stores
• LampLust All American Lantern Sale LampLust is helping you gear up for the election. Their 3-light All American Lantern Set, in red, white and blue, is only $14.
• Blu Dot 20/20 Sale Take Advantage of the 2012 Blu Dot 20/20 Sale. For 20 days all Blu Dot products in their extensive line are 20% off.
• MatthewIzzo Fall Sale Matthew Izzo Fall online sale up to 40% off select items. Home fragrance, furniture, lighting and rugs.
• West Elm Dining Furniture Sale Save 15% off west elm dining furniture including chairs, buffets, dining tables, and more.
• Tell Tale Art Auction Need some new art for your apartment? Tell Tale Art Auction featuring spooky art by your favorite illustrators, inlcuding: Dav Pilkey, Mo Willems, Matthew Myers, Lane Smith, Peter Brown, Dave Shannon, Adam Rex, Brian Floca, Fiona Robinson, Paul O. Zelinsky, Frank Viva, Scott C., Steven Weinberg, Stephen Savage, Sara Varon and Tony DiTerlizzi.
• The Davis Flea An open-air market featuring vendors of vintage, antique, repurposed wares and produce all situated in the heart of Davis Square.
The Davis Flea | 52 Holland Street, Somerville, Massachusetts 02144
Every Sunday through 10/28
• Interior Express Outlet Warehouse Sale Shop this 120,000 square foot warehouse filled with furniture that's been marked down for one reason or another. Some stuff is overstock, some returns, some damaged, some just display models. Furniture varies in condition, ranging from perfect condition to damaged, and all priced accordingly.
Interior Express Outlet | 794 Golf Lane, Bensenville, Illinois 60106
• Room Service Chicago Candy Spectacular Chicago's premiere destination for mid century modern furnishings and accessories will be having a candy spectacular. This is an event for children of all ages to come by the shop in costume and load up on mid-century modern favorites like Mr Goodbar, Mallo Cups, Swedish Fish, Dots and more. To reflect the contemporary product offerings of the shop (Pantone, Harry Allen and Areaware, LAFCO and Assouline) Room Service Chicago is also offering younger more hip clientele Laffy Taffy, Ring Pops, Runts, and more.
Room Service | 5438 North Clark Street, Chicago Illinois 60640
10/27: 2pm - 4pm
• Urban Craft Lab Fall Workshops Urban Craft Lab is a workshop and party company offering relaxing, communal crafting for anyone who wants to make something beautiful and cool. SCHEDULE & LOCATIONS
Weekends through 12/16
• Hawkins/Hawkins: One Saw Everything, One Saw Nothing This exhibition brings together two masters of self-taught art who share a name and a talent for using simple materials to create compelling images: William Hawkins and Hawkins Bolden. The creations of these two artists, one possessing a keen sense of touch and the other a unique vision of the world around him, have a powerful impact when viewed side by side in this exhibition.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• De-cor End of Summer Sale Visit De-cor and take advantage of their end of summer sale with discounts up to 30% off.
De-cor | 30 South San Gabriel Boulevard, Pasadena, California 91107
• "Enduring Beauty" at Artspace Warehouse "Enduring Beauty" Artist Reception featuring Jessika Cardinahl's colorful and playful paintings of birds inspired by Maya Angelou's "Caged Bird". The artist remarks "The journey of realization is an emotional response to the fabric of life. My technique of expression is truthfully direct. Colours flow, lines delineate, form and shapes blossom out beyond the height and breadth of the paper. To the viewer perhaps an emotional understanding beyond color, shape and stroke evolves. Stimulus and response are my favorite playmates."
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard; Los Angeles, California 90036
• Cloud Noir Dining Table Sale Take 20% off all floor model dining tables.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Dwell Silicon Valley Home Tours Modernism is not a new concept for Silicon Valley. With pioneers such as Richard Neutra carving out a footprint in the '30s and Joseph Eichler and other modernist visionaries building prolifically in the '60s, the associated architectural style predates the widespread use of the area's now well-known name. Join Dwell magazine for what promises to be one night and two days full of interesting architecture and people during the Dwell Home Tour. TICKETS
11/3 - 11/4
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and international reputation for unrestrained creativity.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
• Tom Slaughter Book Reading at MoMA In conjunction with the redesign, MoMA is hosting a series of book signings and readings in the space. Authors will engage children with hands-on events that encourage creativity and active exploration of art and design principles. This event features a reading of Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow? and Boat Works by author Tom Slaughter.
MoMA | 81 Spring Street, New York, New York 10012
• BoConcept New Jersey Warehouse Sale BoConcept announces its annual Warehouse Sale taking place in its New Jersey warehouse. Shoppers will save up to 70% off sofas, chairs, tables, rugs, pillows, lamps and other accessories. The Warehouse Sale will make room for the new 2013 collection, which launched this fall in conjunction with the company's 60th anniversary celebration.
BoConcept | 20 Pulaski Street, Bayonne, New Jersey 07002
10/27: 10am - 3pm
• Designers & Books Fair 2012 Designers & Books Fair 2012 is bringing together all the constituencies of the design book world in a major event in the heart of New York City — at one of the world's leading design schools. With approximately 30 publishers, booksellers, and rare and out-of-print book dealers, at this gathering we will mark the release of new Fall 2012 titles, bring renewed attention to important backlist titles, and provide opportunities for stumbling on those special antiquarian finds. We will also present interviews and panel discussions with some of the best-known and most celebrated names in the design book world.
FIT | 227 West 27th Street, New York, New York 10001
10/26 - 10/28
• Interior Inspirations 2012: A Designer Showcase Designer room vignettes, design and lifestyle speakers, and a boutique marketplace highlight this benefit event for Child & Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut. TICKETS
Lyme Art Association | 90 Lyme Street, Old Lyme, Connecticut 06371
1026 - 10/28
• Madeline Weinrib NYC Sample Sale Madeline Weinrib's coveted carpets, ikats and accessories will be available at 40 - 70% off retail prices at a rare sample sale from the designer. The sale will include a wide assortment of Madeline Weinrib's signature handmade carpets, pillows, one-of-a-kind furniture, fabrics by the yard, fashion, and accessories in colorful hues and graphic patterns.
Madeline Weinrib | 881 Broadway, New York, New York 10003
• Judy Ross Textiles Sample Sale Hand-embroidered and hand-printed pillows; hand-knotted and hand-embroidered rugs and runners; and hand-embroidered scarves - all on sale for 40-70% off retail price. Plus, for the first time, you can shop from Judy Ross' personal collection of one-of-a-kind vintage textiles found on her travels.
Judy Ross Textiles | 22 East 17th Street, New York, New York 10003
• Robert Martin Designs Fall Showroom Sale Robert Martin is having a special sale in his Brooklyn Navy Yard showroom/studio. This sale includes both indoor and outdoor furniture – dining tables, sideboards, shelving units, coffee tables, dining chairs and more.
Robert Martin Designs | 63 Flushing Avenue, Building 280, Suite 223, Brooklyn, New York 11205
• BiTTT October Event - Demons by Design BiTTT is holding a psychic fair at the Holiday House. A portion of the proceeds for the event will go to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
Holiday House NYC | 2 East 63rd Street, New York, New York 10065
10/30: 6pm - 9pm
• SOUK: And You Shall Find Inspired by the chaotic bazaars of Morocco, "SOUK: And You Shall Find" explores the intersection between texture, color, and form in a variety of media, from vintage textiles to contemporary painting. While reconsidering the interplay between fabric and visual art, the exhibition will also challenge traditional modes of exhibition curation by reconfiguring the gallery space into a modern facsimile of the Moroccan souk. Maintaining the marketplace's historical significance, physically and economically, as a site of commerce and counterpoint to the present-day art fair, "SOUK" will transform the conventional art-viewing experience into a sense-intensive encounter, through private booths, curatorial collaborations, and an unorthodox presentation of artworks, objects, and wares.
Underline Gallery | 238 West 14th Street, New York, New York 10011
• Jeffrey Maron: Devotion Affirmation Arts presents Jeffrey Maron: Devotion, a retrospective of Maron's sculptural work that spans 16 years (1976--2012). Jeffrey Maron's work is self-described as "contemporary animism," drawing on spiritual experiences to transform metals and other materials into works of art. His creative process comprises mind, body and spirit, producing pieces that have their own intrinsic energy and animistic themes. Maron's work is characterized by paradoxes; it is tough and beautiful, religious and sensual, reminiscent of familiar symbols, yet unique.
Affirmation Arts | 523 West 37th Street, New York, New York 10018
• PEDINI's Display Kitchens For Sale PEDINI NY is making room for new displays. PEDINI NY has all new Italian Display Kitchens for Sale! Shop the PEDINI NY annual Display Kitchens Sale and save up to 70% on high-quality Italian designed, award-winning, contemporary kitchen cabinetry. Drop by our Tribeca showroom and let us show you around. Time is of the essence! If you stop in soon you can score a great deal on not only cabinetry, but also counter-tops, appliances and plumbing fixtures. Since we are making room for new collections, it is the most opportune time to buy one of our elite Contemporary Display Kitchens at half of the normal price.
PEDINI | 40 Lispenard Street, New York, New York 10013
• Forgotten Shanghai Sample Sale Everything in the showroom is discounted 25%-75%. Many silk personal accessory and gift items $5-$20. All furniture between 25% and 75% off.
Forgotten Shanghai | 245 Kansas Street, San Francisco, California 94103
• Clover Market Over 100 carefully selected vendors with antiques & collectibles, original art, vintage clothing and jewelry, and finely handcrafted items will convene in downtown Ardmore, Pennsylvania at this open-air market. Recently named a "Best Vintage Sale" by Flea Market Style Magazine, Clover is free and open to the public and a popular local event, drawing customers and vendors from all around the region.
Clover Market | 12 East Lancaster Avenue, Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003
11/4: 10am - 5pm
• The San Francisco Fall Antiques Show Ahoy! Inspired by the upcoming America's Cup races, and befitting its venue with views of the Bay, The 2012 San Francisco Fall Antiques Show is focusing on nautical art and antiques. From detailed ship models to stunning jewelry featuring shells, historic brass telescopes to treasures discovered at ship wreck sites, iconic Impressionist boating paintings to Art Deco crystal used on luxury ocean liners-- a wide range of artworks relating to the sea will be on view. The related Loan Exhibition and Lecture Series will look at maritime influences in the decorative arts and design, from antiquity to the present. Olympic skier and avid sailor Jonny Moseley will be at the helm, in his role as Honorary Chair of the benefit gala. All hands on deck for what promises to be an exciting event!
Festival Pavilion | Fort Mason Center, Marina Boulevard at Buchanan Street, San Francisco, California 94123
• The International Vintage Poster Fair The International Vintage Poster Fair is the world's oldest and largest sale and exposition of original vintage posters. Thousands of posters dated from the 1890's - 1980's will be on display and available for purchase throughout the weekend. World-class exhibitors hailing from six continents will offer vintage posters of food and liquor advertisements, film, travel and transportation, and international events. Styles include the popular Art Deco and Modernism posters as well classic Art Nouveau and Victorian images.This year's Feature Exhibit, "Seven Deadly Sins," will showcase vices in poster art. Wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony will be sinfully displayed through a selection of original vintage posters.
Fort Mason Center | Conference Center Building A, San Francisco, California 94123
10/26 - 10/28
• Nantucket Home Fall Home Sale Save up to 30% off all special order furniture, upholstery, casegoods, area rugs, bedding, fabrics, and window treatments. Save up to 60% on many in-stock items as well. This Fall Home Sale is customized to fit your needs - you choose the style, fabric, color, finish, and size.
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway Street, Chico, California 95928
• Garza Marfa at Heath Designer/makers Jamey Garza and Constance Holt-Garza are coming to Heath San Francisco and they're bringing with them the designs of Marfa, Texas. This event also marks the Bay Area launch of Garza's leather furniture line, available exclusively in California at Heath's Los Angeles and San Francisco locations. Recent highlights for the furniture include a new bar stool design as well as three new color options for the vibrant powder-coated bases of his pieces: magenta, yellow and blue/green.
Heath San Francisco | 2900 18th Street, San Francisco, California 94110
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
(Images: PEDINI's Display Kitchen Sale, The International Vintage Poster Fair, Vermont Woods Studios Bedroom Furniture Sale, Judy Ross Textiles Sample Sale