Vivian Beer's Ruby Red Slipper at SOFA Chicago, Richard Schultz Warehouse Sale
This first weekend of November begins the slow and steady march toward the holidays and, before you know it, end-of-year sales. But let's not get ahead of ourselves! This week we're seeing a number of warehouse and sample sales — from Richard Schultz online to Chilewich in New York. There are also a number of fun events around the country — SOFA Chicago and Pongtopia, to name just two. Check out the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Richard Schultz Warehouse Sale Visit this online warehouse sale of classic modern outdoor furniture. Open to the public and design trade alike. Check out the selection of iconic pieces from the 1966 Collection, Topiary, Wing and Petal tables at up to 75% off list price. Merchandise includes new pieces, dealer floor samples, show house donations, and discontinued items in a variety of colors.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Cloud Noir Art Sale Take 25% off all contemporary art.
• Pompanoosuc Mills Sale Get 20% - 25% off any standard Pompy furniture order. Take 20% off your first item and 25% off each additional item. Plus, each showroom is offering sample sale pricing on Pompy floor models — up to 50% off.
Online and in showrooms
• Studio North Design Launch & Sale Check out the Big Table Launch and take 25% off all tabletop accessories!
• Living Room & Home Office Furniture Sale Savings up to 15% (plus free delivery) on all 100% American made, fine wood living room and home office furniture by Vermont Woods Studios.
• Lightology November Sale 20-35% off hundreds of fantastic holiday gifts from Koncept, Cerno, Artemide, Trend Lighting, Itre, Edge Lighting and more!
• Jack and Jill Boutique Grand Opening Take 5% off furniture purchase over $500 at this grand opening sale.
• CB2's Unlock Affordable Modern Modern furniture brand CB2 is kicking off "Unlock Affordable Modern," a unique multi-city initiative that will run from October 1 through December 18. CB2 street teams dressed in signature CB2 orange will travel to 11 urban markets across the U.S. and Canada, giving away $100,000 in total prizes via 95,000 uniquely coded orange keys, which customers can bring into stores for a chance to win CB2 Shop Cards ranging in value from $10 to $1000. INFORMATION & LIST OF CITIES/DATES
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object International Poster Gallery proudly presents "Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object", a first-of-its-kind exhibition of original vintage Object Posters from the 1920s to the 1940s, offered as precursors to the controversial and explosive Pop Art movement of the 1960s and 1970s. The exhibition features 30 posters from Object Poster masters like Herbert Leupin, Otto Baumberger and Peter Birkhauser.
International Poster Gallery | 205 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• SOFA Chicago SOFA Chicago, now in its 18th year, enjoys the prestigious position of being the largest and longest continually running art fair in Chicago, a mainstay of the city's cultural and social calendar. This year, the show will share Navy Pier's Festival Hall with The Intuit Show of Folk & Outsider Art. The show will again feature special exhibits by renowned museums, universities and arts organizations, as well as an extensive lecture series, all included in the admission price.
Navy Pier Festival Hall | 600 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611
11/4 - 11/6
• Hydrology's hSale This luxury sample sale is Hydrology's solution to make room to update its showroom with new contemporary 2012 designs and more transitional and traditional designs, while also offering high-end "nowhere else" designs at remarkable discounted prices. Hydrology's hSale will reflect up to a 70 percent savings on fine European designs, most of which can be found nowhere else, including bathtubs, vanities, consoles, porcelainware, medicine cabinets, accessories, spa equipment, shower systems and mirrors.
Hydrology | 435 North LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• 45 Three Modern Vintage Home Sale Up to 50% savings on super cool vintage modern furniture and accessories.
45 Three Modern Vintage Home | 1051 1/2 South Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90019
11/4: 10am - 5pm
11/5: 10am - 5pm
• Designer Flea Market An exclusive one day shopping event at The Cove shops in Newport Beach. Designer Flea Market is an upscale interior designer sale featuring over 12 of Orange County and Los Angeles' top designers selling items from their personal inventories including small furniture such as side-tables, lamps, rugs, pillows, art, accessories and more at discounted prices!
The Cove | 410 West Coast Highway, Newport Beach, California 92663
11/5: 9am - 2pm
• Cloud Noir Fall Sale Take 25% off all contemporary art.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Anisotropy/Anisotropie SCI-Arc is pleased to announce the exhibition Anisotropy/Anisotropie by Paris-based architecture firm Odile Decq Benoît Cornette. Constructed of mirror-clad walls that create a series of unique geometric spaces, the installation invites visitors to make their way through these spaces while experiencing a constant play of reflection and illusions. Decq's exhibition aims to induce a sensory experience, both vivid and discomforting, one that pulls the human mind in various directions simultaneously. The primary geometry of each space is the triangle, but by inclining the walls at different angles, the architect forces visitors to perceive the space as something different. Furthermore, due to the reflective quality of the walls, as visitors move through the space, they experience each of its sections as being infinite. Each is dis-functional--as to alter and obscure the perception we construct of the space--and each places the mind in a constant state of disorientation: first in time, then in place, and finally in person.
SCI-Arc Gallery | 960 East 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90013
• Eames Designs: The Guest Host Relationship This exhibit uses Eames words to focus on the lesser-known aspects of their lives, revealing their appreciation of the value of humble objects and useful tools. Their insights about the simple pleasures of daily life will be illustrated with objects and materials available during their lifetimes and contemporary examples from the world around us. TICKETS
A+D Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Pongtopia! Table tennis has catapulted out of your parents' basement and landed in the hippest hot spots in America. Pongtopia! will showcase this popular sport via world-class player battles, a Corporate Challenge for charity, the New York Metro area's most amazing players competing for the Brookfield Cup championship, top pros offering advice on topspin, and tables & paddles painted by legendary graffiti artists on display and on sale to benefit Operation Design and its work with PS/IS 276.
World Financial Center | 200 Vesey Street, New York, New York 10282
11/3: 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10pm
11/4: 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10pm
11/5: 12pm - 5pm
• Baxter & Liebchen Warehouse Sale Take 25% - 75% off all in-store items.
Baxter & Liebchen | 33 Jay Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201
• Tools at Schools Exhibition The collaborative vision of the classroom today, designed by forty-four 8th graders from The School at Columbia University, exhibited as a full-scale conception opening at The Museum of Arts and Design. The exhibit immerses audiences in the entire Tools at Schools program - experiencing the process of design, from ideation to modeling, first hand. Attendees will walk away recognizing the role design plays in early education, and it's role in everyday problem solving.
Museum of Arts and Design | 2 Columbus Circle, 6th Floor Classroom Space, New York, New York 10019
• Jensen-Lewis Grand Opening Calligaris Sale With the Grand Opening of their new 10,000 sqft. showroom in New York's Design District, Jensen-Lewis is offering 30% off in stock and special order Calligaris items. Most items in stock for 1 week delivery. Most items in stock for 1 week delivery.
Jensen Lewis | 969 3rd Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• The Perfectly Imperfect Home: Essential Elements for Decorating and Living The creative mastermind and founding editor-in-chief of Domino Magazine, Deborah Needleman, has definite ideas about the 80 items that are necessary for a livable, comfortable and undeniably stylish home. Hear Needleman's tips on choosing pieces that are classic, timeless and iconic. TICKETS
92YTribeca Lecture Hall | 200 Hudson Street, New York, New York 10013
• Chilewich Sample Sale After two years, Chilewich is announcing a sample sale.
Chilewich | 261 West 36th Street 2nd Floor, New York, New York 10018
11/8: 10am - 7pm
11/9: 10am - 6pm
11/10: 10am - 7pm
• GD Cucine Sale GD Cucine is having a sale on limited edition furniture and carpeting from the Cleto Munari Collection. Items are discounted 25% and for every piece sold GD will also donate 5% to benefit Design Trust for Public Space.
GD Cucine Flagship | 227 West 17th Street, New York, New York 10011
• Odegard Fall Rug Sale Up to 70% off samples, overstock, discontinued, and one of a kind rugs, furniture and accessories.
Odegard Temporary Sale Location | 200 Lexington Avenue, 15th Floor, New York, New York 10016
11/9 - 11/13
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Jason Lees Design Showroom Sale Stop by for a rare opportunity to get great deals on floor models, prototypes, and one-of-a-kind pieces at 50% - 75% off regular prices. There will be media cabinets, consoles, dining tables, coffee tables, occasional tables, night tables and accessories.
Jason Lees Design | 1577 East 38th Street, Oakland, California 94602
11/5: 10am - 5pm
• Propeller Nanimarquina Rug SALE Award-winning designer Nani Marquina is credited with pioneering the modernization of rug design. Stop by Propeller to see, touch and feel what the fuss is about and take advantage of a special, first-ever sale, with 20% savings on Nanimarquina rugs.
Propeller | 555 Hayes Street, San Francisco, California 94102
• Haven Sample Sale In store floor samples on sale at Haven's The Art of Nesting Fall Sample Sale. Choose from American Leather Sofa/Sleepers, Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Sofas, upholstered chairs, lighting and rugs.
Haven | 1444 Burlingame Ave, Burlingame, California 94010
• Urban Country 20th Anniversary Sale 20% off storwide, including special orders.
Urban Country | 7117 Arlington Road, Bethesda, Maryland 20814
• Creative Classics Furniture Creative Classics is excited to introduce a new line of upholstered sofas and chairs designed by Dwell Studio that have just arrived at their showroom in Old Town Alexandria. Dwell Studio is known for their signature prints, sense of color and unique, uncluttered style. Stop by and "test drive" these great new sofas and chairs!
Creative Classics | 906 King Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Send it to us. We publish every week:
Images: As credited above.