NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Flash Sale at Apt2B.com Apt2B is having its first flash sale. They're clearing out summer inventory to make room for new fall arrivals. These are limited quantities and amazing deals. They will all be 30%-70% off.
• CedarWorks Indoor Playsets Sale at My Urban Child 10%-20% off on all CedarWorks indoor Playsets. When it gets cold or rainy outside just bring the party indoors.
• Pompanoosuc Mills Sale 25% off dining plus 20% off everything else.
• Comma Workshop Holiday Sale 20% off Holiday Sale. Made with love and delivered by December 15th. Comma Workshop is a company dedicated to bringing a fresh perspective to the time-honored traditions of quilting and storytelling. Crafting original poems and stories about life and adventure, our talented artisans along the Front Range of Colorado thoughtfully sew these stories into every quilt.
• Graham Brown End of the Line Sale Shop up to 85% off fabulous wallpaper and wall art.
While supplies last
• DwellStudio Upholstery Sale Modern home and lifestyle brand DwellStudio is hosting a special month-long sale on all upholstered items. All upholstered sofas, chairs, ottomans and gliders will be offered at a 20% discount both online at and at all three store locations.
Online and in stores
• Rejuvenation Chandelier Sale Get your home guest ready for the holidays with a new chandelier made just for you by Rejuvenation. Save 20% on select lighting and shades at their Chandelier Event.
Online & in stores
• Saatchi Online 100 Curators, 100 Days Discover emerging artists from around the world. Each day at 12am PST, Saatchi will reveal a new collection of 10 works, selected by top curators from the most prestigious museums and galleries.
• Greentea Design's Kitchen and Bath Sale Save up to 20% on stunning Asian-inspired kitchen and bath cabinetry.
• Design Public Steelcase & Coalesse Sale Save 15% on all Steelcase and Coalesse items.
• FLOS Annual Sale FLOS, the renowned Italian lighting manufacturer, is pleased to announce its Annual Sale, offering 20% off all decorative products (excluding outdoor).
Online and in stores
• Lightology Sale Save an additional 20% on all Flos and Axo Lights.
• Lumens The Design Event Save up to 47% on modern favorites including designs from Artemide, FLOS, Tom Dixon, FontanaArte, Vibia and more.
• AllModern October Dining Promotion Save up to 15% on dining furniture from Domitalia, Modloft, sohoConcept, Rexite, and more.
• Company C Bedding Sale Save 25% off select bedding.
• Fawn & Forest Babyletto Sale Cross the crib mattress off the list, Fawn & Forest will give you one for free. For the month of October receive a free crib mattress with every Babyletto Crib purchase.
• The Davis Flea An open-air market featuring vendors of vintage, antique, repurposed wares and produce all situated in the heart of Davis Square.
The Davis Flea | 52 Holland Street, Somerville, Massachusetts 02144
Every Sunday through 10/28
• Jayson Home Fall Flea Market The Jayson Home Fall Flea Market takes place for three days only. Shop their latest collection of vintage and antique furniture, lighting, artwork and curiosities from France, Belgium, England and all over. This annual event takes place in a large white tent in Jayson Home's garden courtyard.
Jayson Home | 1885 North Clybourn Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614
10/5 - 10/7
• Custom Cubed Join Unison for Custom Cubed, a unique event showcasing the craft work of three local companies in the West Town neighborhood: Unison, Eli Wyn Upholstery and Furniture Revival. Learn about each company's process, discuss your own custom upholstery and restoration project, plus view and purchase one-of-a-kind finished furniture pieces and upholstered cubes. RSVP
Unison | 2000 West Fulton Street F-109, Chicago, Illinois 60612
10/11: 6pm - 9pm
• Sawbridge Studios' Idea Tree Exhibit A single local tree, downed during a violent storm which struck Chicago in 2011, lives on in Idea Tree, an inspired exhibit of fresh ideas in furniture and accessories design. The Idea Tree exhibit is organized and sponsored by Sawbridge Studios, in collaboration with Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), Chicago and Horigan Urban Forest Products of Skokie. Following a successful 1-month run earlier this summer at Chicago's Inland Steel Building, the entire exhibit now moves to the Chicago Center for Green Technology.
Chicago Center for Green Technology | 445 North Sacramento Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 60612
• Gregory Jacobsen: "Overwhelming Acrid Odor of Potential Paramour" Chicago artist, Gregory Jacobsen will present new paintings and works on paper in his sixth solo show at Zg Gallery. Inspired by the Chicago Imagists and Harry Who, Gregory Jacobsen's paintings explore the fringes of society, shining a spotlight on the beautiful freaks and geeks that populate his world as he seeks to reverse the insider/outsider societal roles to the point that "normal" is no longer the norm.
Zg Gallery | 300 West Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
Opening Reception: 9/7: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Exhibition: Through 10/13
• Vintage Garage Chicago With space for at least 100 dealers, Vintage Garage Chicago is the city's newest venue for buying and selling vintage and antique merchandise.
Vintage Garage Chicago | 5051 North Broadway, Chicago, Illinois 60640
10/21: 9am - 4pm
• Interior Express Outlet Warehouse Sale Shop this 120,000 square foot warehouse filled with furniture that's been marked down for one reason or another. Some stuff is overstock, some returns, some damaged, some just display models. Furniture varies in condition, ranging from perfect condition to damaged, and all priced accordingly.
Interior Express Outlet | 794 Golf Lane, Bensenville, Illinois 60106
• Hawkins/Hawkins: One Saw Everything, One Saw Nothing This exhibition brings together two masters of self-taught art who share a name and a talent for using simple materials to create compelling images: William Hawkins and Hawkins Bolden. The creations of these two artists, one possessing a keen sense of touch and the other a unique vision of the world around him, have a powerful impact when viewed side by side in this exhibition.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• LA Printer's Fair This one-day event showcases the art of printing and paper in historical and contemporary forms. Vendors will be exhibiting book arts, letterpress printing, paper, bookmaking, posters and more. The fair also features the largest letterpress swap meet in the West with letterpress supplies, wood and metal type, ink and presses.
The International Printing Museum | 315 Torrance Boulevard, Carson, California 90746
10/6: 9am - 5pm
• "Enduring Beauty" at Artspace Warehouse "Enduring Beauty" Artist Reception featuring Jessika Cardinahl's colorful and playful paintings of birds inspired by Maya Angelou's "Caged Bird". The artist remarks "The journey of realization is an emotional response to the fabric of life. My technique of expression is truthfully direct. Colours flow, lines delineate, form and shapes blossom out beyond the height and breadth of the paper. To the viewer perhaps an emotional understanding beyond color, shape and stroke evolves. Stimulus and response are my favorite playmates."
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard; Los Angeles, California 90036
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and international reputation for unrestrained creativity.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
• Artemide Moving Sale Iconic lighting fixtures are up to 90% off.
Artemide | 277 Giralda Avenue, Coral Gables, Florida 33134
• The Fine Furnishings Show Join premiere craftsmen, furniture makers and artisans from around the Midwest – and around the county – as they converge on The Garage of the Harley-Davidson Museum. Now in its 7th year, this annual show has established itself as the preeminent source for heirloom-quality, hand-crafted furniture, accessories, art and more, becoming the largest show of its type in the Midwest. Located just 90-minutes from Chicago, the Fine Furnishings Show continues to attract discerning audiences, and makes for a perfect fall day trip destination.
Harley-Davidson Museum | 400 West Canal Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53203
10/5: 4pm - 8pm
10/6: 10am - 6pm
10/7: 10am - 5pm
• City Modern City Modern, presented by Audi, is a joint venture celebrating design, co-created by the Dwell and New York editorial teams, led by Amanda Dameron and Wendy Goodman respectively. TICKETS & SCHEDULE
• Room & Board Fall Accessories Open House Get the first look at Room & Board's exceptional new assortment of handcrafted accessories. Discover unique lighting, luxurious pillows, limited-edition wall art and more. You'll find inspiration for every room. Light refreshments will be served as you browse the showroom and enter to win a $1,000 Room & Board gift card.
Room & Board | 105 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10012
10/6: 11am - 7pm
10/7: 11am - 6pm
• Artek USA Sale Alvar Aalto, Eero Aarnio, Shigeru Ban, Naoto Fukasawa, Enzo Mari, Juha Leiviska, Jorn Utzon, Ville Kokkonen and Ilmari Tapiovaara products, discontinued items and showroom floor samples up to 80% off the retail price.
Artek USA | 199 Lafayette Street, Suite 5D, New York, New York 10012
10/5: 10am - 5pm
10/6: 10am - 6pm
10/7: 12pm - 4pm
• Design Spree Columbus Day Event Take 60% off all upholstery. Excludes special orders and Ralph Lauren collection.
Design Spree | 29 West Essex Street, Maywood, New Jersey 07607
Design Spree | 4 Litho Road, Lawrenceville, New Jersey 08648
10/5 - 10/8
• My Century (An Illustrated Guide for Aliens) Mike Weiss Gallery is pleased to present My Century (An Illustrated Guide for Aliens), the gallery's second solo exhibition by Marc Séguin. The title, like his latest body of work, is rich with cynicism, melancholia, and sarcastic humor. Unabashedly tackling hot-button issues such as economic disparity, human rights, and environmental exploitation, Séguin's large-scale paintings are deceptively beautiful reflections of the era in which they were produced.
Mike Weiss Gallery | 520 West 24th Street, New York, New York 10011
• ABC Carpet & Home Custom Upholstery Sale ABC Carpet & Home's annual Special Order Sale offers up to 25% off custom upholstery orders on various collections, including Ralph Lauren, Dwell, Cobble Hill, Arper, Barbara Barry and Gus*.
ABC Carpet & Home | 888 Broadway, New York, New York 10003
• Smoke and Mirrors at Porter Contemporary Porter Contemporary is pleased to announce Smoke and Mirrors, a solo exhibition of paintings by Jason Bryant. Bryant explores loneliness, vulnerability and frailty through these beautifully photo-realistically rendered film stills coupled with either Bryant's signature skateboard graphics which have become so popular or his pixelated characters.
Porter Contemporary | 548 West 28th street, 3rd Floor, New York, New York 10001
Exhibit through 10/20
• Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition's Annual Fall Exhibit Brooklyn – the name itself summons up an array of responses that can range from the prosaic to the whimsical: some in image, some in words; some in memories and associations of family and of history; or of architecture and neighborhoods, artists, galleries and restaurants; or of ethnicity, cobblestone streets and trolleys; of a time long past and a vibrant present; of sweeping waterfront views and of, course, bridges, harbors, skylines and baseball. Brooklyn means something to everybody. This year over 200 artists will express through painting, sculpture, photography, installation and assemblage what this experience of arrival has meant to them. In addition to a visual exploration, each artist is asked to write a narrative, a contemplation of process, emotion, or intent -- a window into each artist's thoughts -- of the meaning of this theme.
BWAC | 499 Van Brunt Street, Brooklyn, New York 11231
Weekends through 10/21
• Robert Martin Designs Fall Showroom Sale Robert Martin is having a special sale in his Brooklyn Navy Yard showroom/studio. This sale includes both indoor and outdoor furniture – dining tables, sideboards, shelving units, coffee tables, dining chairs and more.
Robert Martin Designs | 63 Flushing Avenue, Building 280, Suite 223, Brooklyn, New York 11205
Weekends through 10/28
• Jeffrey Maron: Devotion Affirmation Arts presents Jeffrey Maron: Devotion, a retrospective of Maron's sculptural work that spans 16 years (1976--2012). Jeffrey Maron's work is self-described as "contemporary animism," drawing on spiritual experiences to transform metals and other materials into works of art. His creative process comprises mind, body and spirit, producing pieces that have their own intrinsic energy and animistic themes. Maron's work is characterized by paradoxes; it is tough and beautiful, religious and sensual, reminiscent of familiar symbols, yet unique.
Affirmation Arts | 523 West 37th Street, New York, New York 10018
10/11 - 12/8
• 1st Friday at 20th Century by HKFA Stop by during October's First Friday and receive a 15% discount on everything in the store. 20th Century by HKFA has an important selection of well curated 20th century finds. Industrial, vintage and antique.
20th Century by HKFA | 1311 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19125
10/5: 12pm - 10pm
• Clover Market Over 100 carefully selected vendors with antiques & collectibles, original art, vintage clothing and jewelry, and finely handcrafted items will convene in downtown Ardmore, Pennsylvania at this open-air market. Recently named a "Best Vintage Sale" by Flea Market Style Magazine, Clover is free and open to the public and a popular local event, drawing customers and vendors from all around the region.
Clover Market | 12 East Lancaster Avenue, Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003
10:14: 10am - 5pm
11/4: 10am - 5pm
• Flea Bites Bite Into Maine and Portland Flea-for-All present Flea Bites, a night market and coming out party for street food in Portland. Enjoy amazing food provided by Bite Into Maine, a DJ set by Uptown Vinyl and three floors of Portland's best vintage and handmade vendors.
Portland Flea-for-All | 125 Kennebec Street, Portland, Maine 04101
10/5: 6pm - 9pm
• Furniturea Columbus Day Weekend Sample Sale Rural Modern design for your home. Take 25% off all furniture floor samples with additional discounts on select warehouse items.
Furniturea | 75 Market Street, Portland, Maine 04101
10/5 - 10/8
• Salvage Tour: Design + Build + Decorate Founded on the principles of environmental respect, historic preservation and embracing the idea that the most sustainable building is the one that already exists is the core of what Rejuvenation, Arciform and Shannon Quimby Designs represent. They have joined forces to bring to Portland the first annual Salvage Tour: Design + Build + Decorate. Ticket holders have the opportunity to learn more about working with salvage and tour five residences that exemplify the use of salvage materials. TICKETS
Rejuvenation | 1100 SE Grand Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97214
• Hoot Judkins One Night Stand Hoot Judkins closes the store all day on Friday to reprice the store with amazing anniversary sale discounts. They open that evening for the annual annual One Night Stand sale.
Hoot Judkins | 1269 Veterans Boulevard, Redwood City, California 94063
10/5 - 10/8
• "The Painted Home" Book Party Meet Dena of Dena Designs, and enjoy cupcakes and iced tea in the garden to celebrate the launch of Dena's book, "The Painted Home." The book features simple DIY projects, useful design tips, colorful photographs and personal stories from Dena's home and how she finds inspiration in everything around her.
The Lazy K House at Orchard Nursery | 4010 Mt. Diablo Boulevard, Lafayette, California 94549
10/7: 2pm - 4pm
• Nantucket Home Fall Home Sale Save up to 30% off all special order furniture, upholstery, casegoods, area rugs, bedding, fabrics, and window treatments. Save up to 60% on many in-stock items as well. This Fall Home Sale is customized to fit your needs - you choose the style, fabric, color, finish, and size.
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway Street, Chico, California 95928
• Garza Marfa at Heath Designer/makers Jamey Garza and Constance Holt-Garza are coming to Heath San Francisco and bringing they're bringing with them the designs of Marfa, Texas. This event also marks the Bay Area launch of Garza's leather furniture line, available exclusively in California at Heath's Los Angeles and San Francisco locations. Recent highlights for the furniture include a new bar stool design as well as three new color options for the vibrant powder-coated bases of his pieces: magenta, yellow and blue/green.
Heath San Francisco | 2900 18th Street, San Francisco, California 94110
Opening: 9/29: 5pm - 8pm
Exhibit: Through 11/11
• 12 Nights of Anniversary Celebration for Ligne Roset San Francisco Ligne Roset, the renowned French furniture and lifestyle brand, will celebrate theSan Francisco showroom's 10th anniversary with a 12-night celebration. Ligne Roset will open its doors after hours to the Bay Area community and industry leaders in the areas of design, architecture, technology, politics and sports over four successive weekends. The showroom will transform to an evening craft bar featuring the best mixologist bar team on the West Coast creating one-of-a-kind drinks, featuring music and complimentary hors d'oeuvres. Paid parking access will be available.
Ligne Roset | 162 King Street, San Francisco, California 94107
10/4 - 10/6: 7pm - 11pm
• FLOR in Toronto Grand Opening Event Join FLOR for the Grand Opening Event celebrating their newest retail store (and first outside of the US!) in Toronto. Experience the beauty and flexibility of this premium modular floorcovering system. Designed for real life, FLOR squares let you replace squares, not rooms, and are an environmentally-responsible choice for modern lifestyles. FLOR is simply smart design, squared. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres will be served.
FLOR | 162 Cumberland Street, Toronto, Ontario M5R 1A8
10/11: 6pm - 8pm
• Washington Design Center Sample Sale The tenants of the Washington Design Center are holding their Fall Sample Sale. Select furniture, accessories, rugs, lighting and more will be offered at discounts up to 80% off list prices.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
10/6: 10am - 3pm
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
Send it to us. We publish every week:
(Images: AllModern, 20th Century by HKFA, Lumens, Design Public