It's the second weekend of October and we're starting to see a lot of great fall sales and events. The Weekend Guide is chock full of wonderful sales this week, both online and regional. Plus, there are a few events across the country worth checking out — from Docomomo US Tour Day to Brooklyn Night Bazaar. Check out the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Pompanoosuc Mills Fall Sale Enjoy 25% off any standard Pompy furniture order. Everything you need to refresh your home — dining room, living room, bedroom and kitchen. Fully customizable furniture, handcrafted in Vermont.
Online and in showrooms
• Room Juice Columbus Day Sale Room Juice will be offering 10% off all single design packages and 20% if you buy two.
• MGBW Special Order PLUS Event It's ON! Save 20% on all special order upholstery, tables/storage, rugs, lighting & accessories at Mitchell Gold Bob Williams.
• Vermont Woods Studios Bedroom Furniture Sale Fall savings up to 15% on the entire line of Vermont handcrafted wood bedroom furniture. Plus, get free shipping.
• Nest Living Vitra Sale Save 15% + free shipping on all Vitra products. This is a great opportunity to get your hands on a piece originally designed by George Nelson, Charles + Ray Eames, Verner Panton, Jasper Morrison, and more.
• Docomomo US Tour Day The modern architecture advocacy organization, Docomomo US, is hosting the fifth annual Docomomo US Tour Day. With 34 tours in 21 states and new tours are posting weekly, Tour Day has become the nation's largest annual architecture event.
10/8 - 10/16
• Bambeco's Annual Rug Sale Receive 20% off all styles and colors. Includes everything from Bamboo Silky Shag Rugs (chenille inspired shag rugs in bold colors) to Jute Rugs, Jute & Wool Rugs, Natural Blend Rugs (Jute, Abaca, Hemp, Coir), Sisal Grass Rugs, Villager and Mountain Bamboo Weave Rugs, Wood Chair Mats (natural or dark cherry wood) and Doormats. Plus get free shipping on orders over $100.
10/3 - 10/17
• YLighting's Artemide Lighting Sale Save 15% on Artemide Lighting and get free shipping.
• Lumens' The Design Event Save up to 40% on modern favorites from 28 top brands including designs from Artemide, Cerno, David Trubridge, Roll & Hill, Tom Dixon + more.
• Modani Furniture Anniversary Sale Modani Furniture is celebrating in style with big sales across every department, from outdoor furniture to bedroom and living room designs.
Online and in showrooms
• The Shade Store Woven Woods Sale All Woven Woods at The Shade Store are on sale 10% off. The Shade Store's Woven Wood Shades are a natural design option for any stylish interior. All are hand-made using the finest environmentally responsible materials available.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• CB2's Unlock Affordable Modern Modern furniture brand CB2 is kicking off "Unlock Affordable Modern," a unique multi-city initiative that will run from October 1 through December 18. CB2 street teams dressed in signature CB2 orange will travel to 11 urban markets across the U.S. and Canada, giving away $100,000 in total prizes via 95,000 uniquely coded orange keys, which customers can bring into stores for a chance to win CB2 Shop Cards ranging in value from $10 to $1000. INFORMATION & LIST OF CITIES/DATES
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object International Poster Gallery proudly presents "Proto-Pop: The Elegant Object", a first-of-its-kind exhibition of original vintage Object Posters from the 1920s to the 1940s, offered as precursors to the controversial and explosive Pop Art movement of the 1960s and 1970s. The exhibition features 30 posters from Object Poster masters like Herbert Leupin, Otto Baumberger and Peter Birkhauser.
International Poster Gallery | 205 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116
• An Orange Moon Moving Sale To make room in the new showroom, AOM is hosting a Moving Sale! Everything in the store is 50% off!
An Orange Moon | 2436 West 59th, Chicago, Illinois 60629
10/7 - 10/9
• Thomasville of Oak Brook Grand Opening Visit the newest Chicago location in Oak Brook Promenade and to enter to win a $1,000 gift card and tour the beautiful showroom.
Thomasville | 3011 Butterfield Road, Suite 110, Oak Brook, Illinois 60523
• Jayson Home Upholstery Sale Take 20% off all upholstery, both in stock and custom order, at the Jayson Home Fall Upholstery Sale. Sale includes all upholstered sofas, sectionals, chairs, beds, chaises, and ottomans.
Jayson Home & Garden | 1885 N Clybourn Ave, Chicago IL 60614
• Hydrology's hSale This luxury sample sale is Hydrology's solution to make room to update its showroom with new contemporary 2012 designs and more transitional and traditional designs, while also offering high-end "nowhere else" designs at remarkable discounted prices. Hydrology's hSale will reflect up to a 70 percent savings on fine European designs, most of which can be found nowhere else, including bathtubs, vanities, consoles, porcelainware, medicine cabinets, accessories, spa equipment, shower systems and mirrors.
Hydrology | 435 North LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
• Casting: Interior Design Series Authentic Entertainment (Bravo's Flipping Out; TLC's Toddlers & Tiaras) is seeking charismatic, upscale, sophisticated couples and families in the greater Los Angeles area for a new network makeover series for a free home interior re-design by our celebrity home designer. Apply with recent photos of you and your partner/spouse/family, photos of the room(s) you would like redesigned, why you need these rooms redesigned, and your contact info to email@example.com.
• Collecting in Los Angeles 1945 - 1980 A three week exhibit that explores the collecting practices of Mr. Richard Dorso, a native Californian, who at age 101 left behind a unique art collection spanning much of the 20th century. LAMA will produce a special one-owner catalogue that will feature photographs of the collection in-situ by Grant Mudford and a special introduction by Norman Lear.
LA Modern Auctions & YHBHS Interior Showcase | 16145 Hart Street, Van Nuys, California 91406
Exhibit: 9/19 - 10/8
• Eames Words at A+D Musuem For the first time, the words of Charles and Ray Eames will be the lens of an exhibit, enveloping the visitor in a 21st century typographic "surround". Their philosophy of design and life will be explored through Eames' quotes, shown graphically (as well as live on film), and complemented by the display of unexpected everyday objects, ranging from food to a keg of nails, to an inter-active digital experience.
A+D Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Brooklyn Night Bazaar The inspiration for the event comes from the night markets across Asia. On this night we will be showcasing local artists, vendors and musicians from Brooklyn and beyond. Food, music, art, and a beer garden for one night only.
Dekalb Market | 138 Willoughby Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201
10/9: 5pm - 12am
• Michael Hennessy Home A store closing sale, featuring 25%-60% off merchandise.
Michael Hennessy Home | 207 West 18th St., New York, New York 10011
• 5th Annual Designer Visions: Cinema Style New York has served as the backdrop for some of cinema's most stylish movies. Now, House Beautiful, Town & Country and Veranda magazines - along with some today's most celebrated designers - have created three spectacular residences, inspired by 3 classic films. A donation of $35 provides admission to tour the Designer Visions: Cinema Style residence.
Designer Visions | 1212 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10029
10/9: 11am - 4pm
10/15: 11am - 4pm
10/16: 11am - 4pm
• Pratt Pop Up Designing Hope launches their new design collaboration with Tilonia, fusing contemporary design with traditional
craftsmanship. Come see and shop the new collection, and join in celebrating this design collaboration with the artisans of Tilonia.
Dekalb Market | 138 Willoughby Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201
10/4 - 10/16
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people's needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• The Marble Soul ABC Stone is pleased to present an exhibition of sculptural artist: Oriano Galloni , Rogerio Timoteo and Stephen Shaheen. The works of these remarkable sculptors will be displayed against a backdrop of ABC's precious onyx, historic marble, and Santamargherita's agglomerate stone, Through this juxtaposition We hope to give viewers a better understanding of the sculptural process by showcasing carved masterworks alongside the raw materials from which they were derived.
ABC Stone | 234 Banker Street, Brooklyn, New York 11222
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
9/8 - 11/30
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris The de Young hosts an extraordinary exhibition of more than 100 masterpieces by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) from the permanent collection of Paris's world-renowned Musée National Picasso. The once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, made possible only because of the temporary closure of the Musée Picasso until 2012 for extensive renovations, comprises paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints drawn from every phase of the artist's career.
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, California 94118
• Urban Country 20th Anniversary Sale 20% off storwide, including special orders.
Urban Country | 7117 Arlington Road, Bethesda, Maryland 20814
10/6 - 11/6
Send it to us. We publish every week:
Images: As credited above.