• Vitra, Artemide & Ruckstuhl Sample Sale
• Cassina, Alias, P.Frau & Cappellini Sale
• Phillips de Pury Latin America Auction
• John Robshaw Sale
• Steven Sclaroff's Fall Wall Sale
• Housing Works Auction
• THE DROP: Urban Art Infill
• DWR Semi-Annual Sale
• Bulb Planting Workshop
• Julius Shulman Event at DWR
• Mix & Match Brunch at DWR
• La Selva Designer Showcase
• Restoration Hardware Lighting Sale
• Container Store Shelving Sale
• YLighting Warehouse Sale LAST DAY
• Alessi "Time is Money" Sale
• Thos. Moser Sample Sale
• Metropolitan Home's Showtime House
• Conran Shop Sale
• Crate & Barrel Upholstery Sale
& 9 more below the jump...
MORE THIS WEEK
• Baker, Milling Road & McGuire Sale
• Ron Arad Retrospective
• Smith & Hawken Liquidation Sale
• Open House New York
• Baker Warehouse Clearance Sale
• A&D 3rd Thursday Late Nights
• Uptown Designer House Tour
• Jewish Museum: The Rite Stuff
• Carini Lang Annual Sale
THIS WEEK IN DETAIL
• Vitra, Artemide & Ruckstuhl Sample Sale Up to 75% off some of modern design's most celebrated pieces manufactured by Vitra, including home and contract. In addition to Vitra, we are happy to announce that products from partners Artemide and Ruckstuhl will be included in this year's sale! The first visitor to the showroom will have the opportunity to purchase Charles and Ray Eames' La Chaise for $1,000 – an $8,500 discount!
Vitra Showroom | 29 9th Avenue New York, New York 10014
10/3 - 10/4: 10am – 5pm
• Cassina, Alias, Poltrona Frau, Cappellini Warehouse Sale Up to 70% off showroom samples, overstock and selected items from four premier Italian furniture makers known for leading design and quality. Great selection of contemporary, sleek modern and classic sofas, tables & chairs, by world renowned designers. Credit cards accepted. Delivery available. Shuttle bus available from LIRR Huntington train station to warehouse.
200 McKay Road, Huntington Station, New York 11746
10/2 - 10/4: Fri 12-8, Sat 10-6, Sun 11-5
• Phillips de Pury & Company Latin America Auction The Latin American auction will feature contemporary works of art which are inspired by, reflect on and embody the spirit of the region and culture of Latin America.
450 West 15 Street New York, New York
10/3: Editions 2pm, Photographs 3pm, Design 4:30pm, Contemporary Art 5pm
• Steven Sclaroff's Fall Wall Sale 30% off all Art, Mirrors, Prints and Photography. You can see almost everything online. No holds on any sale items, and all purchased must be picked up within 7 days.
Steven Sclaroff 44 White Street New York, New York 10013
10/5 - 10/9: 11am - 6pm
• Housing Works Auction "Early American Prints," a live charity auction with Kathleen Guzman featuring 60 fine prints, including dozens by engravers Currier & Ives. Many prints feature charming scenes of 19th-century New York; they range in estimated value from $100 to $1,500. All proceeds benefit Housing Works, which provides lifesaving services to homeless and low-income New Yorkers living with HIV/AIDS.
Housing Works Gramercy Thrift Shop | 157 E.23rd Street (between Lexington and 3rd)
10/7: VIP cocktail hour with Guzman and celebrity appraisers, 6pm - 7 pm $50
10/7: Live auction, 7pm - 9pm FREE
• THE DROP: Urban Art Infill In the spirit of participation, THE DROP: Urban Art Infill is a call to urban inhabitants to interact with and contemplate the city as well as their relationship to the greater global environment through the arts. A series of planned indoor and outdoor art projects, including the best in New York's independent music, fashion, art and design, blur the boundaries of artistic creatives into collaboration, asking artists and audience to intermingle. AREAWARE will be hosting a pop up store on the fourth floor of 521 W. 25th Street alongside an exhibition of one of a kind art pieces, design objects, and furniture from The American Design Club.
Multiple locations at 25th Street between 10th and 11th Avenue and Under the High Line and at 511 and 521 W. 25th Street, NYC
Saturday 10/3: Outdoor festival Noon-9PM; Indoor exhibition Noon-5PM, Opening party 5-9pm under the Highline
• Bulb Planting Workshop Liberty Sunset Garden Center's resident Bulb expert Sebert Harper will be hosting a one-hour seminar in bulb planting techniques and bulb history in our indoor education space. Please email us with BULB WORKSHOP as the subject heading, or call 718-855-3400 to sign up. The workshop will be $35 dollars for adults, or $25 for students and seniors, which will include a 10% store-wide discount, good for the day of the seminar.
Liberty Sunset Garden Center | 204 Van Dyke Street Red Hook, Brooklyn 11231
10/4: 4pm - 5pm
• Mix & Match Brunch at DWR Please join us at DWR Princeton as we wrap up our annual Mix or Match Sale, which offers the opportunity to save 15% on a combination of four or more specially marked dining chairs, stools, credenzas and tables. Stop by on October 4 for our mix and match brunch, with pastries and savories. Let us mix you up a mimosa and the perfect dining environment for your home. RSVP by October 2 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DWR Princeton Studio | 30 Nassau Street Princeton, New Jersey 08542
10/4: 11am - 3pm
• Julius Shulman Event at DWR Narrated by Dustin Hoffman, Visual Acoustics celebrates the life and career of photographer Julius Shulman, whose striking images brought modern architecture to the American mainstream. Shulman, who passed away this year, captured the work of nearly every major modern and progressive architect since the 1930s. Join us at DWR Flatiron for a screening of clips from the film and a conversation with director Eric Bricker, who has created a testament to the evolution of modern architecture and a joyful portrait of the magnetic gentleman who chronicled it in photos.
DWR Flatiron | 903 Broadway (at 20th) NYC
Wednesday, 10/7: 7pm
• La Selva Designer Showcase '09 The estate grounds of La Selva's 25 acres provide for a resort style of living and are located in the prestigious incorporated village of Upper Brookville, Long Island. The old world craftsmanship of La Selva (circa 1915) combines beautifully with the creativity of over 35 notable interior designers who will participate in Designers' Showcase '09 showing "how yesterday's architecture is compatible with today's lifestyle".
10/3 -11/15: Closed Mondays except Columbus Day 10/12
• Restoration Hardware Lighting Sale Save 25% on all things lighting from Restoration Hardware — stores, catalog & online.
NYC Store | 935 Broadway New York, New York 10010
• YLighting Warehouse Clearance Sale Customers save up to 80% on brands like Artemide, Bruck, Flos,Foscarini, Vibia, Luceplan, Estiluz, and more. There will be a selection of over 500 products from 25 brand names— ON SALE for two weeks only (or while supplies last)! Prices are being significantly slashed- it will be that much easier to add a modern touch to your home.
9/18 - 10/2
• Alessi "Time is Money" Sale Alessi in conjunction with Seiko Instruments Inc. is pleased to announce "Time is Money," which will offer a 20% savings on all watches, clocks and timers to help you gear up for the time change!
Online and In Stores:
Alessi Flagship | 130 Greene Street New York, New York 10012
Alessi Shop | 30 E. 60th Street New York, New York 10022
9/10 - 10/10
• Thos. Moser Sample Sale Choose from a wide selection of Thos. Moser furniture at reduced prices, all available for immediate purchase. This Special Savings Event is a rare opportunity to select from a large collection of floor models, one-of-a-kinds, not-quite-perfect, and first-quality pieces...all waiting to be taken home without waiting the standard lead time for pieces to be built and delivered. All sales at this event are on a first-come, first-served cash/credit and carry basis. We'll help you load them into your vehicle, or local delivery can be arranged on site (delivery charge will be based on destination address).
83 Wooster St. (Soho), New York, New York 10012
Opens 9/18: Mon-Sat: 11am-7pm; Sun: 12pm-6pm
• Metropolitan Home's Showtime House The most unique and interactive showhome, featuring room designs inspired by six popular Showtime series (Californication, Dexter, Nurse Jackie, The Tudors, United States of Tara, and Weeds). This year's line-up of incredible design talent includes Marie Aiello, James Biber, Christopher Coleman and Angel Sanchez, Markus Dochantschi at Studio MDA, Susannah Drake, Francine Gardner, Holly Hunt and Joannah Kornak for Holly Hunt, Andrew Kotchen and Matthew Berman of Workshop/apd, Paul Latham, Piero Lissoni, Kara Mann, Richard Mishaan, and Surfacedesign. Tickets are $20 and all proceeds benefit Housing Works.
Tribeca Summit 415 Greenwich Street
9/12 - 10/18
• Conran Shop Sale 20% off USM Haller Storage custom and quick-ship orders.
407 East 59th Street, New York, NY, 10022
• Baker, Milling Road & McGuire Sale Select furniture, accessories and lighting on sale.
The New York Design Center 200 Lexington Avenue Third Floor New York, New York 10016
Baker Tribeca 129-133 Hudson Street New York, New York 10013-2333
8/21 - 10/19
• Ron Arad Retrospective The Museum of Modern Art presents Ron Arad: No
Discipline, the first major U.S. retrospective of Arad's work. See Rachael's post: Ron Arad: No Discipline The Museum of Modern Art
August 2 - October 19, 2009
• Smith & Hawken Liquidation Sale The website/catalog is shut down and the company is liquidating all their inventory directly from their 56 stores in 22 states and Washington, D.C. Find your nearest store here. See our post here.
COMING UP IN DETAIL
• Baker Warehouse Clearance Sale Baker, a premier manufacturer and designer of fine furniture, is offering consumers a large assortment of Baker and Milling Road furniture available at clearance pricing. The furniture and upholstery range from Baker's best-in-class Stately Homes Collection to its exclusive designer lines. In addition to the furniture and upholstery offered, the event will also feature a wide variety of lighting and accessories.
Metropolitan Warehouse | 2565 Brunswick Avenue, Building J, Linden, New Jersey 07036
10/9 - 10/12: 10am - 5pm
• Open House New York America's largest architecture and design celebration with
free access to over 350 sites and programs, including tours, talks, performances, and family activities in all 5 boroughs.
10/10 - 10/11
• Architects & Designers Building 3rd Thursday Late Nights For all who cannot come to the A&D Building during usual business hours to experience its top-tier showrooms featuring luxury kitchen & bath, appliances, tile & stone and home furnishings: Starting September 17th and continuing on the Third Thursday of each month through the end of 2009 the A&D Building will stay open late—until 8pm.
Architects & Designers Building | 150 East 58th Street (between Lexington & Third Avenues)
• Uptown Designer House Tour Top New York designers open glamorous private residences to the public for the 13th Annual Kips Bay Boys and Girls Club Uptown Designer House Tour, which benefits 14,000 children attending the Kips Bay Boys and Girls Club in the Bronx. Tour participants will meet at the GE Monogram Design Center in the Architects and Design building (150 East 58th Street, 10th Floor) between 10:00 and noon to pick up their tickets ($150 each with $125 tax deduction), a tour map and enjoy a light breakfast. The self-guided tour of the private homes takes place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. followed by champagne cocktail reception at Sub-Zero/Wolf showroom also in the AD building.
AD building | 150 East 58th Street, 5th Floor
• Jewish Museum: The Rite Stuff The Jewish Museum will present The Rite Stuff: Design and Modern Observance, a panel discussion about the role of design in modern life with panel that includes designer Jonathan Adler, artist Allan Wexler, writer and curator Ellen Lupton, and moderator Julie Lasky, editor of Change Observer.
The Jewish Museum
• Carini Lang Annual Sale Come shop our large selection of hand-woven carpets in all sizes – up to 70% off.
335 Greenwich Street New York, New York 10013
Thursday, 10/22: 10am – 6pm
Friday, 10/23: 10am – 7pm
Saturday, 10/24: 11am – 5pm