• David Stark's Purely Paper Flower Shoppe
• Knoll Warehouse Sale
• Design Week @ ABC
• Mike's Mid-Century Modern Sale
• Clio Sale
• Roberto Giulio Rida @ Donzella
• STRAIGHTFORWARD New Finnish Design
• Noho Design District
• Dune / "Enamored"
• Secret Shop Pop Up
• Fit City 5
• Method Goodwill Truck
• The Dreamers @ VOOS
• Emeco Sale
• George Smith Sale
• Amy Karyn Warehouse Sale
• Wendell Castle Exhibition
• Pollack Warehouse Sale
• Fornasetti Installation @ Barneys
• DWR Presents: M+D+F
• Art to the Avenue & Ken Resen
• The Pratt Show
• Cooper-Hewitt National Design Triennial
• Pierre Frey Exhibition
• 'Eames Inspiration' Online Auction
• Kips Bay Decorator Show House
details & 12 more below the jump…
scroll down for details
• BRIDES Newlywed Nest Showhome
• Dead or Alive @ MAD
• Rejuvenation Sale
• Wexel Art Sale
• Brooklyn Indie Market
• Shandell's Lamp & Lighting Workshops
• David Stark @ NYPL
• Makers Market
• BoCoCa Arts Festival
• Alvar Aalto Design Seminar
• Helsinki Design Week 2010
• Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen
• Origin: The London Craft Fair
THIS WEEK IN DETAIL
• David Stark's Purely Paper Flower Shoppe David Stark's limited edition pop-up shop of flora and gardening supplies created with old books — everything is paper!
West Elm Broadway | 1870 Broadway (at 62nd Street) NYC
5/13 - 5/16: 11am - 8pm
• Knoll Warehouse Sale Don't miss this opportunity to own authentic Knoll furniture at promotional prices. Classic Knoll designs by Florence Knoll, Mies Van der Rohe, Eero Saarinen and Harry Bertoia and others will be on sale up to 80% off the list price! The merchandise includes overstocks, customer returns and discounted products. Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards accepted ONLY. NO CASH. NO CHECKS. Delivery service available. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
156 Fifth Avenue (corner of 20th Street).
• Design Week @ ABC
ABC Carpet & Home | 888 Broadway New York, New York
Fritz Hansen Egg Tour: A Tribute to Arne Jacobsen's Egg Chair by Artist Tal R
5/12 - 5/31
Exclusive Preview of Tom Dixon's new line: "Industry"
5/13 - 5/19
John Reeves Sketch Collection
5/13 - 5/19
Good Design: A Panel on Local, Sustainable and Passionate Design with Eames Demetrios
5/16: 6pm - 8pm
Piero Lissoni Glasitalia
5/17: 6pm - 8pm
• Mike's Mid-Century Modern Sale 30% off any one piece or 20% off entire purchase (anything in the shop).
Mike's Mid-Century Modern | 161 Decatur Street, Brooklyn, New York 11233
5/15 - 5/16: 12pm - 6pm
• Clio Sale Everything in the store — plates, bowls, glasses, vases, candleholders, lamps, serving pieces and more — is all discounted from 10-75% off. Even Clio's furniture — both rustic American antiques (farm tables, hutches and benches) and mid-century and modern pieces (side boards and tables) — will be offered at a steep discount.
92 Thompson Street (between Prince and Spring Streets) SoHo
5/14 - 5/31
• Roberto Giulio Rida @ Donzella 20th Century Gallery The art, sculpture and furniture work of the Milan-based contemporary artist inspired by Fontana Arte and the Murano glass masters.
Donzella 20th Century Gallery | 17 White Street New York, New York 10013
5/13 - 7/17
• STRAIGHTFORWARD New Finnish Design A presentation of innovative solutions to matters of everyday life by individual designers and design oriented companies during Meatpacking District Design '10. The event focuses on today's interpretations of the traditional values that made Finnish Design world famous sixty years ago.
5/14 - 5/17
• Noho Design District The curatorial consultancy Sight Unseen has brought together designers, artists, local businesses and retailers to present a variety of experiences including pop-up retail shops, exhibitions, talks, open studios, parties, and performances, creating a festival-like atmosphere in a neighborhood that is a new hub for design and creativity.
KICK-OFF: 5/15: 7pm - 10pm
5/15 - 5/18
• Poetic License @ Moss For its 2010 spring exhibition, Moss presents a gallery-wide celebration of rule breaking, envelope pushing and taking chances. Poetic License includes work from Studio Job, Maarten Baas, Patrick Jouin, Fernando and Humberto Campana, Oskar Zieta and many more.
Moss | 150 Greene Street New York, New York 10012
5/16 - 6/26
• Dune / "Enamored" Dune will be debuting its 2010 Furniture Collection with all new designs by Harry Allen, Jozeph Forakis, Karim Rashid, Claesson Koivisto Rune, and Richard Shemtov.
Milk Gallery | 450 W. 15th Street New York, New York
5/16: 11am - 8pm
5/17: 11am - 4pm
• EKLA Home Sale 25% our regular retail prices for all orders on our open line collection.
Woodstock Organic Mattress | 136 W. 21st Street New York, New York 10011
Woodstock Organic Mattress | 1104 Ulster Avenue Kingston, New York 12401
Now - 5/22
• Secret Shop Pop Up Merchant no. 4 is hosting a selection of beautiful design objects and home accessories from international product designers.
52 Walker Street, 4th Floor (located near all Canal Street Subways)
5/15 - 5/18: 11am - 7pm
• Fit City 5: Promoting Physical Activity through Design The AIA New York Chapter, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, is hosting the fifth annual Fit City public conference to examine how design interventions create opportunities for increasing physical activity. This conference will bring together architects, planners, designers, developers, and public health professionals, to address how building design and policy decisions can increase physical activity, thus helping to prevent chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, some cancers and asthma. RSVP
The Center for Architecture | 536 LaGuardia Place (between Bleecker and West 3rd Streets)
5/18: 8am - 1pm
• Method Goodwill Truck Method teamed up with Goodwill Industries to offer New Yorkers an easy way to spring clean your closets for a good cause with our 'wash smart. give smart' clothing donation truck in NYC. where you can drop off clothing to donate. Come up to the truck and say "Make my Laundry Day" and you'll be rewarded with a 25-load bottle of Method Laundry!
5/13: 10am- 6pm SoHo | Broadway (between Houston & Prince)
5/14: 10am- 6pm Union Square
5/15: 10am- 6pm Herald Square | 35th Street between 6th & Broadway
• The Dreamers @ VOOS The Dreamers: An Exhibition of Off-the-Grid New York Designers showcasing the latest works of independent, local designers.
103a N3rd Street Brooklyn, New York 11211
OPENING BLOCK PARTY: 5/8: 6pm - 10pm
5/7 - 5/23
• George Smith Sale Up to 50% off original retail prices. An extensive selection of luxuriously comfortable handmade furniture. Sofas, chairs, chaises and stools covered in a wide selection of fabrics, leathers and kilims. All available for immediate delivery.
George Smith | 315 Hudson Street New York, New York 10013
5/15 - 5/22
• Amy Karyn Warehouse Sale Textile Designer Amy Karyn is opening her warehouse in Doylestown, Pennsylvania to the public for four days. Sale will include excellent prices on designer fabrics, trims, pillows, antiques, lamps, artwork, furniture, and more! Take advantage of prices at wholesale and below on everything from linen to cotton to chenilles. Cash and carry, all sales final.
Amy Karyn Warehouse | 3853 Old Easton Road, Doylestown, Pennsylvania 18901
5/13 & 5:14: 8:30am - 6pm
5/15 & 5:16: 9am - 5pm
• Wendell Castle Exhibition Wendell Castle's groundbreaking unification of sculpture and furniture are showcased in the exhibition that will feature a group of 12 unique, stack-laminated wood chairs.
Barry Friedman Ltd. | 515 West 26th Street, NYC
5/6 - 6/26
• Pollack Warehouse Sale Deep discounts on window and upholstery fabrics, natural fibers, velvets, outdoor patterns, heavy/medium duty with varying patterns such as florals, bold stripes and countless others representing a full range of the Pollack line.
Pollack | 150 Varick Street, 10th Floor (between Spring and Vandam)
• Fornasetti Installation @ Barneys Fresh characters that have been added to the family of Fornasetti vases by Bitossi Ceramiche will be on display this month at Barneys New York.
Barneys New York | Madison Avenue & Sixty-First Street in Chelsea Passage on the 9th Floor
5/15 - 6/27
• DWR Presents: M+D+F M+D+F 2010 is a juried exhibition designed to uncover and promote innovative modern original designs by emerging designers in New York.
DWR Flatrion Studio | 903 Broadway New York, New York 10010
EXHIBIT: 5/15 - 5/18
• Art to the Avenue & Ken Resen All of Greenwich Avenue is turned into a strolling gallery — over 140 artists will display their work at neighboring retailers and restaurants.
DWR Greenwich Studio | 86 Greenwich Avenue Greenwich, Connecticut 06830
KEN RESEN RECEPTION: 5/6: 5:30pm - 8pm
5/6 - 5/31
• The Pratt Show Cutting-edge work from Pratt's 2010 graduating seniors in all areas of design.
Manhattan Center | 311 West 34th Street New York, New York
5/11 - 5/14
• Cooper-Hewitt National Design Triennial
5/12/2010 - 1/9/2011
• Pierre Frey Exhibition On the eve of their 75th anniversary, Pierre Frey celebrates the birth of the company with an exhibition from the company's archives dating from 1935 to 1955.
D&D Building | 979 Third Avenue #1611 New York, New York10022
5/12- 7/20: 8:30am - 5pm
• 'Eames Inspiration' Online Charity Auction A unique collection of iconic Eames Molded Plywood Chairs as re-imagined by some of today's most celebrated graffiti and street artists will be auctioned online to benefit Operation Design, a creative mentorship program for NYC Public School students.
SEE THE CHAIRS: windows of Barneys New York | Madison Avenue and 61st Street
ONLINE AUCTION: opdesign.com
5/11 - 6/1
• BoConcept Sale Save big on multifunctional designs for small spaces like the ottoman that converts to a twin bed, expandable dining tables and functional coffee tables with storage space and rising panels.
10 New York Metro BoConcept Stores
5/1 - 6/15
• Kips Bay Decorator Show House 18 top designers and architects re-imagine every room in a six-story, 19th Century Renaissance Revival limestone mansion on the Upper West Side.
26 West 76th Street
• BRIDES Newlywed Nest Showhome BRIDES magazine comes to life and inspires pre-engaged, engaged and newlywed couples with ideas for their homes. Interior designer Inson Dubois Wood's transformation of an eco-luxury two-bedroom triplex apartment into a stylish, attainable and sustainably-chic space where you'll genuinely feel at home.
BRIDES Newlywed Nest Showhome | 311 East 11th Street PH2
4/24 - 5/22: free and open to the public on Saturdays & Sundays from 11am - 4pm
• Dead or Alive @ MAD Showcasing the work of over 30 international artists who transform organic materials and objects that were once produced by or part of living organisms — insects, feathers, bones, silkworm cocoons, plant materials, and hair — to create intricately crafted and designed installations and sculptures.
Museum of Arts & Design | 2 Columbus Circle New York, New York 10019
4/27 - 10/24
• Brooklyn Indie Market 4th grand reopening of Brooklyn Indie Market (BIM), a weekly weekend market showcasing some of the freshest names in jewelry, clothing, handbags, kidswear, bath, silk screened men's t-shirts and product design.
Located on Smith and Union Streets in Brooklyn's Carroll Gardens — take the F/G train to the Carroll station stop
Saturday: 11am - 7pm
Sunday: 11am - 6pm
COMING UP IN DETAIL
• David Stark @ NYPL In this event New York's renowned event planner and designer, David Stark of David Stark Design and Production, will inspire us with a visual tour and discussion of his firm's most public and celebrated projects. He focuses on pushing the boundaries of event design into the realm of cutting edge installation art, while also concentrating on eco-friendly approaches.
New York Public Library | Stephen A. Schwarzman Building 476 Fifth Avenue (5th Avenue and 42nd Street) New York, New York 10018
5/19: 6pm (Margaret Liebman Berger Forum Room 227 (2nd Floor))
• Makers Market Presented by Socrates Sculpture Park, in partnership with Alan Wanzenberg Architect/ Design, The Noguchi Museum and R 20th Century, Makers Market is a premier forum to experience the convergence of design and contemporary craft in an open-air marketplace. Over 50 American makers will be selling one-of-a-kind and limited production objects, including; ceramics, turned wood bowls, glassware, motorcycles, hand forged knives, tableware, jewelry, furniture, lighting, and more.
Socrates Sculpture Park | 32-01 Vernon Boulevard (at Broadway) Long Island City, New York 11106
PREVIEW BENEFIT EVENT: 6/4: 5pm - 8pm / tickets $50
6/5: 11am - 7pm
6/6: 11am - 5pm
• Shandell's Lamp & Lighting Workshops Learn how to fit a lamp with a lampshade, revamping a dated lamp with a new shade, basic construction of a shade, and different things you can make into a lamp in a working lampshade and vintage lighting studio. FREE monthly workshops on the second Saturday of each month.
RSVP: thingsthatmakeyousmile [at] gmail [dot] com, or call 518.789.6603
Shandell's | 5916 North Elm Avenue (corner of Route 22 & Route 44) Millerton, New York, 12546
6/12: 9am - 11am
• Country Living's 2010 House of the Year Developed by New World Home and designed by the Country Living editors, this historically inspired modular homes from the Country Living Collection will showcase compelling style and "green" products and features for every room. Free.
The World Financial Center | 220 Vesey Street New York, New York 10281
6/4 - 6/16: Monday-Friday 11am - 5pm; Saturday and Sunday 9am-6pm
6/17: 10am - 2pm
• Alvar Aalto Design Seminar The 6th Triennial seminar brings top names in contemporary design, featured in lectures and exhibitions to explore and discuss this year's theme of Creative Processs. The Alvar Aalto Design Seminar is arranged triennially, alternating with the Alvar Aalto Symposium and the Alvar Aalto Research Conference. 2010 seminar speakers include: Naoto Fukasawa, Ross Lovegrove, Inga Sempé, Hans Maier-Aichen, Monica Förster, Simo Heikkilä, Clemens Weisshaar and Timo Salli.
University of Jyvaskyla | Jyvaskyla, Finland
8/21 & 8/22
• Helsinki Design Week 2010
8/26 - 9/5
• Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen Counter Space explores the twentieth-century transformation of the kitchen and highlights MoMA's recent acquisition of an unusually complete example of the iconic "Frankfurt Kitchen," designed in 1926–27 by the architect Grete Schütte-Lihotzky.
MoMA | 11 West 53 Street New York, New York 10019
9/15 - 3/21/2011
• Origin: The London Craft Fair
9/23 - 9/29
Image: David Stark's Purely Paper Flower Shoppe
Send it to us. We publish every week: