Now that we're starting to feel a chill in the air, our thoughts turn to prepping our nest for a long winter's hibernation. Check out our Weekend Guide for this week's top sales and events. From Nest Living's Cherner Sale to the Cuddledown Annual Pillow Sale, there's a sale or event for almost everyone. Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Nest Living Cherner Sale Enjoy 15% off + get free shipping on all Cherner products at Nest Living. Designer Norman Cherner, a midcentury icon, can be found in design collections worldwide and his work is now available to a new generation of furniture collectors. All Cherner Products are made to order in the USA.
• Studio North Design Labor Day Sale Save 25% off all pieces of the Block and Board Shelving Collection, including the very cool Stuff Block which lets you clear the clutter and sort your stuff.
• Ethan Allen Style Workshops Join Ethan Allen for a style workshop that's all about you. Their pros will lead you through a fun session of activities and discussions designed to give you the answer to the question: "What's My Signature Style?" Check online for the workshop nearest you.
• Cassina Sale Save 20% off entire Cassina assortment including, living, dining, beds, and outdoor furnishings. Sale does not include Le Corbusier items.
• Cuddledown Annual Pillow Sale Save 25% off on all pillows. Choose from the quality Maine-made down and down alternative pillows, in addition to specialty neck and back support pillows, latex, cotton, and silk fill pillows.
• Vermont Woods Studios Shaker Furniture Sale Save up to 15% and receive free shipping!on on Vermont handcrafted Shaker style wood furniture. Plus, all 100% of the profits from the furniture sold on 9/17 will be donated to the Vermont Disaster Relief Fund to help victims of tropical storm Irene.
• The Shade Store Vertical Systems Sale Save 10% on all styles of Vertical Systems at The Shade Store through September 30th, 2011. XL Vertical and Panel Systems are unique window treatments from The Shade Store that are adept at covering both small and large windows and doors, and are also a contemporary solution for dividing a room. All orders ship free in 10 days or less.
• Clever Tomato Outdoor Annual Fall Sale Save 10% off Loll kids outdoor furniture.
• Lightology Alico Sale Save 20% off all Alico fixtures, bathroom, pendants, Ceiling lights, wall sconces and more.
• YLighting End of Summer Lighting Sale Save 30-40% on designer lighting, including LZF Lamps, Le Klint and Illuminating Experiences. Plus, get free Shipping.
• Baker Season of Style Event Celebrate the bounty of the season with storewide savings. 5% off casegoods; 10% off dining tables and chairs; 15% off upholstery.
In North American showrooms
• MGBW Special Order PLUS Event It's ON! Save 20% on all special order upholstery, tables/storage, rugs, lighting & accessories at Mitchell Gold Bob Williams.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Waterdream: The Art of Bathroom Design Duravit's partnership with design powerhouse Philippe Starck has been recognized with accolades and awards across the globe. Duravit Starck will be on display as part of a popular exhibit entitled WaterDream: the Art of Bathroom Design, mounted at the newly relocated Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA). Visitors will learn how Philippe Starck in collaboration with manufacturers Duravit, Axor and Hoesch, revolutionized the bathroom in the early nineties when he transformed the entire bathroom from a small obscure room into a relaxing retreat drenched in natural light, warm materials and uncompromising modernity. Starck's approach signaled a turning point in bathroom design in his creation of rooms that expressed a spectrum of moods, emotions and expressions, rather than just creating a rational and utilitarian space."
MODA | 1315 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30309
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Portland Symphony Orchestra Designer Show House The Portland Symphony Orchestra presents the 13th biennial Designer Show House. Seventeen top local designers will renovate fifteen distinct spaces in an historic house on Portland's picturesque Western Promenade. The PSO Show House combines old and new in coastal design, showcasing the designers' innovative talents and the classic beauty of Portland, Maine.
PSO Designer Show House | 149 Western Promenade, Portland, Maine 04102
• An Orange Moon's O.B.O. Sale Bring your best negotiating skills to An Orange Moon's Or Best Offer Sale. Give them your best reasonable offer on everything in the entire store!
An Orange Moon | 2436 West 59th, Chicago, Illinois 60629
• The Vintage Bazaar This modern pop-up flea has vintage oddments, collectibles, and more. It's like a swap meet without the socks & overstock. Plus, DJs, rockabilly barbering AND there will be beer, pie, cream puffs, ice cream, and beef jerky.
Congress Theater | 2135 North Milwaukee, Chicago, Illinois 60647
9/18: 11am - 6pm
• Branca Warehouse Sale Take 30-50% of antiques, home furnishings, and accessories.
Branca | 17 East Pearson Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611
• Trebor/Nevets Open House Warehouse Sale The design partners at Trebor/Nevets are throwing open the doors to their Daisy Avenue warehouse for this sale. Items for sale include a mix of new and vintage sofas, chairs, tables, rugs, fabrics, lamps and lighting. Some items will have been treated to a Trebor/Nevets makeover and some will need work to be restored.
Trebor/Nevets | 1350 Daisy Avenue, Long Beach, California 90813
9/17 - 9/18: 10am - 5pm
• Collecting in Los Angeles 1945 - 1980 A three week exhibit that explores the collecting practices of Mr. Richard Dorso, a native Californian, who at age 101 left behind a unique art collection spanning much of the 20th century. LAMA will produce a special one-owner catalogue that will feature photographs of the collection in-situ by Grant Mudford and a special introduction by Norman Lear.
LA Modern Auctions & YHBHS Interior Showcase | 16145 Hart Street, Van Nuys, California 91406
Exhibit: 9/19 - 10/8
• Canopy Designs Sample Sale Canopy Designs is throwing open their doors to sell off extra inventory. You'll find showroom samples, custom orders gone awry, prototypes, antique pieces, and more.
Canopy Designs | 4261 24th Street, Third Floor, Long Island City, New York 11101
9/17: 10am - 5pm
9/18: 10am - 5pm
9/18: 10am - 8pm
• Arhaus Furniture Warehouse Sale Save anywhere from 20% to 60% during the Arhaus Warehouse Sale. Save on everything from dining tables, to upholstery, bedroom and office furniture collections — floor samples, one-of-a-kind pieces and relics, and even discontinued items included.
Arhaus | 410 West 13th Street, New York, New York 10014
9/17 - 9/19
• 3rd Annual What's New, What's Next The New York Design Center celebrates the very best ideas, materials, and products that the design industry has to offer. Focusing on all things new, What's New, What Next will feature exciting panel discussions, engaging presentations, and opportunities to meet and mingle with many of the industry's most esteemed interior designers and manufacturers.
New York Design Center | 200 Lexington Avenue, New York, New York 10016
9/20: 3pm - 9pm
• Point Pleasant Village Designer House Point Pleasant Village Designer House is the Ultimate Before and After. Tour this historic canal home and grounds to see how a team of talented designers, landscape designer, contractors, painters, and volunteers have transformed an 1850s parsonage into a charming, livable abode.
Point Pleasant Designer House | 34 River Road, Point Pleasant, Pennsylvania 18950
• Artists of the East End Spanierman Gallery is pleased to announce the opening of Artists of the East End, featuring works created from the mid-twentieth century to the present by artists who have lived and worked on eastern Long Island.
Spanierman Modern | 45 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022
• Jensen-Lewis Sale Enjoy sale pricing on all Comfort Sleepers from American Leather. Rated a "Best-Buy" by Consumer Digest, this revolutionary Sleeper Sofa is one of a kind. Available in a full array of sizes in fabric and leather as well as options such as a Tempur-Pedic mattress. This manufacturer sponsored annual event is the only discount of the year.
Jensen-Lewis | 89 7th Avenue, New York, New York 10011
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people's needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
9/8 - 11/30
• New Work by Alex Duke at The Slingluff Gallery Alex Duke is a freelance designer based in Brooklyn, specializing in illustration, graphic design, and web design primarily working within the skateboard industry creating screen print ready artwork. The Slingluff Gallery is excited to host a solo show with Mr. Duke.
The Slingluff Gallery | 11 West Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Pina Zangaro Fall Warehouse Sale Pina Zangaro designs and makes presentation and storage products for artwork, photographs and documents. Thousands of portfolio books, portfolio cases, binders, boxes, sheet protectors and other presentation products, some factory seconds, others discontinued items, will be liquidated at prices ranging from 70 to 90% below retail.
Pina Zangaro | 2200 Jerrold Avenue, Unit W, San Francisco, California 94124
9/17: 9am - 12pm
• San Francisco Living: Home Tours The American Institute of Architects, San Francisco chapter, and Center for Architecture + Design present the ninth annual San Francisco Living: Home Tours, a two-day open house event featuring a select number of modern residences. The popular weekend showcases modernism at its finest and is the first tour series in the Bay Area to promote residential architectural design from the architect's point of view. Projects are showcased with the designer(s) via an open house format, and tour participants have the opportunity to see some of the latest residential projects from the inside out, meet design teams, explore housing trends, and discover design solutions that inspire unique San Francisco living. INFORMATION & TICKETS
9/17 - 9/18: 10am to 4pm
• Nantucket Home Comfort Sleeper Event Nantucket Homes is having their annual American Leather Comfort Sleeper Event. Comfort, style, fashion and function blended together to make the most stylish and most comfortable sleeper sofa available. Space saving, no bars, no springs, and many fabric, leather and finish options. Lowest prices of the year and in-home by the holidays!
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway, Chico, California 95928
• Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris The de Young hosts an extraordinary exhibition of more than 100 masterpieces by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) from the permanent collection of Paris's world-renowned Musée National Picasso. The once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, made possible only because of the temporary closure of the Musée Picasso until 2012 for extensive renovations, comprises paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints drawn from every phase of the artist's career.
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, California 94118
Send it to us. We publish every week: