Labor Day weekend may mean the end of summer (boo!) but it also means a three-day weekend (hooray!). And, as with any three-day weekend, our list of sales is a little longer than usual. While you're taking a break from your labors this weekend, check out some of the sales and events we've rounded up for you.
Check our Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Home Remedy Super Summer Clearance Sale Home Remedy is commemorating the almost-end-of-summer with a sale that includes new items marked to 30% off as well as previously marked home accessories from Jonathan Adler, Thomas Paul, Roost, and more now up to 75% off.
• Modani Labor Day Sale Check out Modani Furniture for a chance to save up to 70% on some of the most popular items. Some items in The Big Labor Day Sale are rarely discounted, so stop by one of the showrooms or shop online.
Online and in stores
• Vermont Woods Studios Fine Dining Furniture Sale All Vermont Handcrafted Wood Dining Furniture is on Sale with savings up to 15% plus Free Shipping!
• Greentea Design's Summer Sale Greentea Design is holding its Summer Sale! Save up to 60% on clearance items, and up to 25% on all pieces in our collections.
• The Thousand Words Project Receive a signed 8x10" print for every $50 you donate. For $200, get a set of four PLUS a bird made just for you by the art center children! All proceeds benefit Art Creation Foundation for Children Inc, a nonprofit arts organization created for education and personal growth of children in need in Jacmel, Haiti, which currently supports 95 children and their friends and families.
• Studio North Design Labor Day Sale Save 25% off all pieces of the Block and Board Shelving Collection, including the very cool Stuff Block which lets you clear the clutter and sort your stuff.
• Ethan Allen Style Workshops Join Ethan Allen for a style workshop that's all about you. Their pros will lead you through a fun session of activities and discussions designed to give you the answer to the question: "What's My Signature Style?" Check online for the workshop nearest you.
• Clever Tomato Outdoor Annual Fall Sale Save 10% off Loll kids outdoor furniture.
• Lightology Alico Sale Save 20% off all Alico fixtures, bathroom, pendants, Ceiling lights, wall sconces and more.
• YLighting End of Summer Lighting Sale Save 30-40% on designer lighting, including LZF Lamps, Le Klint and Illuminating Experiences. Plus, get free Shipping.
• Baker Season of Style Event Celebrate the bounty of the season with storewide savings. 5% off casegoods; 10% off dining tables and chairs; 15% off upholstery.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Cuddledown Annual Pillow Sale Save 25% off on all pillows. Choose from the quality Maine-made down and down alternative pillows, in addition to specialty neck and back support pillows, latex, cotton, and silk fill pillows.
• Waterdream: The Art of Bathroom Design Duravit's partnership with design powerhouse Philippe Starck has been recognized with accolades and awards across the globe. Duravit Starck will be on display as part of a popular exhibit entitled WaterDream: the Art of Bathroom Design, mounted at the newly relocated Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA). Visitors will learn how Philippe Starck in collaboration with manufacturers Duravit, Axor and Hoesch, revolutionized the bathroom in the early nineties when he transformed the entire bathroom from a small obscure room into a relaxing retreat drenched in natural light, warm materials and uncompromising modernity. Starck's approach signaled a turning point in bathroom design in his creation of rooms that expressed a spectrum of moods, emotions and expressions, rather than just creating a rational and utilitarian space."
MODA | 1315 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30309
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Portland Symphony Orchestra Designer Show House The Portland Symphony Orchestra presents the 13th biennial Designer Show House. Seventeen top local designers will renovate fifteen distinct spaces in an historic house on Portland's picturesque Western Promenade. The PSO Show House combines old and new in coastal design, showcasing the designers' innovative talents and the classic beauty of Portland, Maine.
PSO Designer Show House | 149 Western Promenade, Portland, Maine 04102
9/9 - 10/2
• Branca Warehouse Sale Take 30-50% of antiques, home furnishings, and accessories.
Branca | 17 East Pearson Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611
9/8 - 10/1
• Roy's Furniture Labor Day Sale Take 10% off your purchase and also scope out the discounted furniture - some by up to 70%. Plus, take advantage of 6-months interest free financing.
Roy's Furniture | 2455 North Sheffield, Chicago, Illinois 60614
• Cloud Noir Dining Sale Take 25 % off all floor model dining tables.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Potted's End of Summer Sale Potted's semi annual sale has everything in the entire store at 20% off and many things are reduced even more — up to 75%. They still have lots of inventory of Circle Pots, Hoop Chairs, Fermob Bistro Sets, Gainey Ceramics and much, much more.
Potted | 3158 Los Feliz Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90039
• The 2011 Hampton Designer Showhouse The Hampton Designer Showhouse, now in its eleventh year, is a showcase for America's premiere design talent. Approximately 25 top interior designers and decorative artists will turn a lavish shingle style home into a decorating masterpiece. TICKETS
Hampton Designer Showhouse | 1224 Scuttle Hole Road, Bridgehampton, New York 11976
• Fashion's Night Out Fashion's Night Out is an unprecedented global initiative created to celebrate fashion, restore consumer confidence, and boost the industry's economy. In the United States, the program is a collaboration between American Vogue, the Council of Fashion Designers of America, NYC & Company, and the City of New York.
Bloomingdale's | 1000 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10022
• Gracious Home's Décor & More Celebration Enjoy delicious food & beverages and stay fashion-forward with the latest and greatest at Gracious Home. Featuring exciting new collections from Bungalow 5, Sivaana, Mike + Ally, Garnier Thiebaut, Schott Zwiesel and Fortessa. Enter to win a 10-Piece Cuisinart Chef's Classic Cookware Set and enjoy free gifts with purchase.
Gracious Home | 1992 Broadway and 1220 3rd Avenue, New York, New York 10021
9/8: 6pm - 8pm
• ABC Carpet Sale Furniture, rugs, lighting, tabletop items and decorative accessories will be up to 75 percent off during the Bronx Warehouse Sale at ABC Carpet & Home
ABC Carpet & Home | 1055 Bronx River Avenue, Bronx, New York 10472
• Clary Antiques End of Summer Sale All merchandise is discounted by 35%.
Online and in store by appointment
Clary & Co. Antiques | 139 Franklin Street, 6th Floor, New York, New York 10013
• M&M Design International Sale Designer, one-of-a-kind, first edition and showroom sample rug sale. All rugs on sale, including many First Edition pieces from designers such as Missoni, Niba, Dakota Jackson and Adam Tihany. All Tibetan rugs are GoodWeave certified.
M&M Design International | 226 Westbury Avenue, Carle Place, New York 11514
• Point Pleasant Village Designer House Point Pleasant Village Designer House—the Ultimate Before and After. Tour this historic canal home and grounds to see how a team of talented designers, landscape designer, contractors, painters, and volunteers have transformed an 1850's parsonage into a charming, livable abode.
Point Pleasant Designer House | 34 River Road, Point Pleasant, Pennsylvania 18950
9/1 - 9/25
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people's needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
9/8 - 11/30
• New Work by Alex Duke at The Slingluff Gallery Alex Duke is a freelance designer based in Brooklyn, specializing in illustration, graphic design, and web design primarily working within the skateboard industry creating screen print ready artwork. The Slingluff Gallery is excited to host a solo show with Mr. Duke.
The Slingluff Gallery | 11 West Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
9/3 - 9/25
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Gravel & Gold Scack to Bhool Sale Save 25% at this cleverly titled back-to-school sale.
Gravel & Gold | 3266 21st Street, San Francisco, California 94110
9/2 - 9/4
• Past Perfect Labor Day Weekend Sale Past Perfect is having a big 3-day Labor Day weekend sale with discounts on their antique and Mid Century furnishings.
Past Perfect | 2246 Lombard Street and 2224 Union Street, San Francisco, California 94123
9/3 - 9/5
• Retro@Home Super Sidewalk Sale Retro@Home is celebrating the last days of summer by kicking off Labor Day with a super sidewalk sale. All vintage items are 20% off (excludes A.P by Vessel and periodicals) and Dexter Seating Collection is up to $250.00 off.
Retro@Home | 3811 San Pablo Avenue, Emeryville California 94608
9/3 - 9/11
• Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris The de Young hosts an extraordinary exhibition of more than 100 masterpieces by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881–1973) from the permanent collection of Paris's world-renowned Musée National Picasso. The once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, made possible only because of the temporary closure of the Musée Picasso until 2012 for extensive renovations, comprises paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints drawn from every phase of the artist's career.
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, California 94118
• Ekster Antiques Barn Sale Event Ekster Antiques opens their 8,000-square-foot former dairy barn several times a year for weekend sales events and fills it from top to bottom with fantastic European, Belgian and Scandinavian-style old and new furniture and home accessories. Lucky us, it's that time again!
Ekster Antiques | 38532 Pheasant Hill Lane, Hamilton, Virginia 20158
9/2: 10am - 5pm
9/3: 10am - 5pm
• Free Summer Saturdays at the Corcoran Join the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design for FREE Summer Saturdays – back by popular demand! This summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend, enjoy free admission to the Gallery, including special exhibitions Chris Martin: Painting Big and Washington Color and Light. Enjoy special programs, Gallery tours, workshops, demonstrations, and performances for all ages.
Corcoran Gallery of Art | 500 17th Street NW, Washington DC 20006
Send it to us. We publish every week:
Images: As credite above.