We marked the last day of summer this week — which means cool autumn weather and the countdown to the holiday season are right round the corner. It also means that our Weekend Guide is starting to see an increase in the number of sales. There's plenty on offer this week — from the Knoll Space Annual Sale to The Cube Marketplace Warehouse Sale — plus a number of events to get you out and about this weekend. Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Cuddledown Annual Pillow Sale Save 25% off on all pillows. Choose from the quality Maine-made down and down alternative pillows, in addition to specialty neck and back support pillows, latex, cotton, and silk fill pillows.
• Vermont Woods Studios Shaker Furniture Sale Save up to 15% and receive free shipping!on on Vermont handcrafted Shaker style wood furniture. Plus, all 100% of the profits from the furniture sold on 9/17 will be donated to the Vermont Disaster Relief Fund to help victims of tropical storm Irene.
• Alessi 90th Anniversary Event Alessi, the renowned kitchen and housewares company, will celebrate its 90th anniversary by offering a 10% discount on all Alessi merchandise at participating Alessi shops. Shoppers will also be invited to enter for a chance to win one of two limited-edition signed products by Alessi designer Karim Rashid.
9/27: 11am - 8pm
• The Cube Marketplace Warehouse Sale It's Cube Marketplace's biggest sale ever. Save up to 90% off hundreds of items from upscale and unique housewares to gourmet foods, and much more. Cube Marketplace is liquidating overstock to make room for holiday merchandise.
• The Shade Store Vertical Systems Sale Save 10% on all styles of Vertical Systems at The Shade Store through September 30th, 2011. XL Vertical and Panel Systems are unique window treatments from The Shade Store that are adept at covering both small and large windows and doors, and are also a contemporary solution for dividing a room. All orders ship free in 10 days or less.
• Clever Tomato Outdoor Annual Fall Sale Save 10% off Loll kids outdoor furniture.
• Lightology Alico Sale Save 20% off all Alico fixtures, bathroom, pendants, Ceiling lights, wall sconces and more.
• YLighting End of Summer Lighting Sale Save 30-40% on designer lighting, including LZF Lamps, Le Klint and Illuminating Experiences. Plus, get free Shipping.
• Knoll Space Annual Sale Knoll has announced that its iconic collection of residential furniture will be available at a 15% discount at over 100 Knoll Space retailers in both the United States and Canada.
• Baker Season of Style Event Celebrate the bounty of the season with storewide savings. 5% off casegoods; 10% off dining tables and chairs; 15% off upholstery.
In North American showrooms
• MGBW Special Order PLUS Event It's ON! Save 20% on all special order upholstery, tables/storage, rugs, lighting & accessories at Mitchell Gold Bob Williams.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Portland Symphony Orchestra Designer Show House The Portland Symphony Orchestra presents the 13th biennial Designer Show House. Seventeen top local designers will renovate fifteen distinct spaces in an historic house on Portland's picturesque Western Promenade. The PSO Show House combines old and new in coastal design, showcasing the designers' innovative talents and the classic beauty of Portland, Maine.
PSO Designer Show House | 149 Western Promenade, Portland, Maine 04102
• Randolph Street Market This European-style, indoor-outdoor market has earned an international reputation as one of the finest and most diverse antique markets in the world, drawing comparisons to Paris' legendary Le marché au puces de Saint-Ouen. Featuring 200 select purveyors of high quality, amazingly priced finds, it has been described as the "Market of Markets," offering an array of vintage and modern furnishings, clothing, jewelry and collectibles, as well as food and flower vendors, a full bar with wine, beer and liquor offerings and live musical entertainment.
Randolph Street Market | Plumbers Hall, 1350 West Randolph Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607
9/24: 10am - 5pm
9/25: 10am - 4pm
• Jayson Home & Garden Fall Flea Market Shop the latest collection of antique and vintage furniture, lighting, artwork, and curiosities.
Jayson Home & Garden | 1885 North Clybourn Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614
9/23 - 9/25
• ReBuilding Exchange Antique & Flea Offering food and refreshments, vintage furniture, records, art, bicycles, books, clothing, home goods, collectibles and more!
ReBuilding Exchange | 2160 North Ashland Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614
9/25: 8am - 3pm
• Bungalows and More Tour The Berwyn Historical Society is holding its 5th annual Berwyn Bungalow Tour. The 2011 tour will showcase the well-preserved Art Moderne Silhan House, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, as well as bungalows and other vintage homes. Tour goers will learn the history of each home, while gaining ideas for restoring and maintaining their own vintage homes. All proceeds benefit the Berwyn Historical Society. TICKETS
Bungalows and More Tour | 7003 West Ogden Avenue, Berwyn, Illinois 60402
9/25: 12pm - 5pm
• Anything is Possible with Maharam and Design Within Reach DWR North Ave Studio invites you to join them as they host Maharam for an exciting and interactive evening. Learn about the design and history behind its textiles from designers such as Paul Smith, Ray Eames, Alexander Girard and Hella Jongerius and discover the endless customization options available at DWR. Libations and light snacks will be served.
Design Within Reach | 1574 North Kingsbury, Chicago, Illinois 60642
9/28: 5pm - 7pm
• Fine Furnishings and Fine Crafts Show The 6th Annual Milwaukee Fine Furnishings & Fine Craft Show features handcrafted furniture, furnishings, fine art and crafts for sale, order or commission from approximately 75 exhibitors from across North America. While almost half of the exhibitors are talented Wisconsin residents, the show also features exceptional artisans from Illinois, Michigan, California, Indiana, Maryland, Maine, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Vermont.
Harley Davidson Museum | 400 West Canal Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201
9/30 - 10/2
• Branca Warehouse Sale Take 30-50% of antiques, home furnishings, and accessories.
Branca | 17 East Pearson Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611
• Thomasville of Oak Brook Grand Opening Visit the newest Chicago location in Oak Brook Promenade and to enter to win a $1,000 gift card and tour the beautiful showroom.
Thomasville | 3011 Butterfield Road, Suite 110, Oak Brook, Illinois 60523
• 6th Annual Frogtown Artwalk The sixth annual Frogtown Artwalk is a free, self guided tour of art studios and galleries in the Elysian Valley neighborhood. You can stroll the newly refurbished Los Angeles river bike/pedestrian path while enjoying an array of art, music and local food for free.
Frogtown Artwalk | Blake Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90039
9/24: 4pm - 10pm
• Collecting in Los Angeles 1945 - 1980 A three week exhibit that explores the collecting practices of Mr. Richard Dorso, a native Californian, who at age 101 left behind a unique art collection spanning much of the 20th century. LAMA will produce a special one-owner catalogue that will feature photographs of the collection in-situ by Grant Mudford and a special introduction by Norman Lear.
LA Modern Auctions & YHBHS Interior Showcase | 16145 Hart Street, Van Nuys, California 91406
Exhibit: 9/19 - 10/8
• Point Pleasant Village Designer House Point Pleasant Village Designer House is the Ultimate Before and After. Tour this historic canal home and grounds to see how a team of talented designers, landscape designer, contractors, painters, and volunteers have transformed an 1850s parsonage into a charming, livable abode.
Point Pleasant Designer House | 34 River Road, Point Pleasant, Pennsylvania 18950
• Aviva Stanoff Design Sample Sale Aviva Stanoff Design will be hosting a stoop sale in their design studio during the Dumbo Arts Fest. They have a large assortment of products, ranging from one-off pillows to antique furniture and findings from all over the globe
Aviva Stanoff Design | 25 Jay Street, Suite #101, Brooklyn, New York 11201
• The Shop at Cooper Hewitt Blowout Sale The Shop at Cooper-Hewitt will slash prices up to 80 percent in a blowout sale prior to the museum's closure for renovation. This is a unique opportunity to save on some of the world's highest quality selection of design objects, accessories and books.
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum | 2 East 91st Street, New York, New York 10128
• Wining and Dining at DWR DWR Princeton Studio invites you to celebrate the final day of The Dining Sale with a wine tasting from local vineyards. They'll showcase their newest products like Verner Panton's timeless furniture and lighting - discovered in the Panton Estate archives, brought back into production and available exclusively at Design Within Reach - while you sip wine and shop the best in modern dining design.
Design Within Reach | 30 Nassau Street, Princeton, New Jersey 08542
9/27: 5:30pm - 8pm
• Props For Today Yellow Tag Sale This is your opportunity to buy pieces from your favorite TV shows including: 30 Rock, Madmen, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sex and the City, The Sopranos and more. Movies including: Black Swan, Eat Pray Love, Adjustment Bureau, and more! Plus new merchandise added daily!
Props For Today | 330 West 34th Street, 14th Floor, New York, New York 10001
• Artists of the East End Spanierman Gallery is pleased to announce the opening of Artists of the East End, featuring works created from the mid-twentieth century to the present by artists who have lived and worked on eastern Long Island.
Spanierman Modern | 45 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022
• 4heads Governors Island Art Fair Run by artists, for artists, The Governors Island Art Fair enters its 4th year this fall as 4heads rally an exciting and diverse selection of artists from around the world. Well over 100 independent artists are selected entirely on the merit of their work and, once chosen, each is given a room of their own in which to create an exhibition environment of their own design. A selection of galleries are exhibiting in the Fair as well and, this summer for the first time, 4heads are also offering art workshops and artists' studio residencies.
4heads Governors Island Art Fair | Governors Island, New York
• Jensen-Lewis Sale Enjoy sale pricing on all Comfort Sleepers from American Leather. Rated a "Best-Buy" by Consumer Digest, this revolutionary Sleeper Sofa is one of a kind. Available in a full array of sizes in fabric and leather as well as options such as a Tempur-Pedic mattress. This manufacturer sponsored annual event is the only discount of the year.
Jensen-Lewis | 89 7th Avenue, New York, New York 10011
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people's needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
9/8 - 11/30
• Design Sponge at Home Book Party Celebrate the launch of Design Sponge at Home, Grace Bonney's first book, with a book signing and pop up shop from Cloth Paper Clay at West Elm in the Pearl District. West Elm | 1201 NW Couch Street, Portland, Oregon 97209
9/26: 6pm - 8:30pm
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Beyond Equisetum: How to Resist Your Architect's Desire to Control Nature As architects venture further into the realm of landscape design, there is an increasing need to get beyond the tired palette of equisetum and bamboo and embrace the unruly, changeable, and ultimately uncontrollable aspects of nature. Join Bonnie Bridges, AIA and Seth Boor of Boor Bridges Architecture and Flora Grubb of Flora Grubb Gardens for an interactive workshop exploring messy nature and its power to transform mood and space. Participants will have the opportunity to design their own model planting arrangement and present it to the group. A discussion and cocktails will follow.
Flora Grubb Gardens | 1634 Jerrold Avenue, San Francisco, California 94124
9/23: 3pm - 5pm
• Propeller Floor Sample Sale A big floor model sale is going on now! Save up to 50% on floor models, over stock and assorted goodies, including sofas, tables, lighting, rugs, and accessories.
Propeller | 555 Hayes Street, San Francisco, California 94102
• Nantucket Home Comfort Sleeper Event Nantucket Homes is having their annual American Leather Comfort Sleeper Event. Comfort, style, fashion and function blended together to make the most stylish and most comfortable sleeper sofa available. Space saving, no bars, no springs, and many fabric, leather and finish options. Lowest prices of the year and in-home by the holidays!
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway, Chico, California 95928
• Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris The de Young hosts an extraordinary exhibition of more than 100 masterpieces by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) from the permanent collection of Paris's world-renowned Musée National Picasso. The once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, made possible only because of the temporary closure of the Musée Picasso until 2012 for extensive renovations, comprises paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints drawn from every phase of the artist's career.
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, California 94118
• Marburger Farm Antique Show This outdoor show features more than 350 dealers from across the United States and the world. The 43 acre field boasts ten large tents and 12 historic buildings offering an extraordinary range of antiques including but not limited to: architectural, English, Continental, Asian, industrial, garden, Americana, painted furniture, fine art, early Texas, mid century modern, French, silver, jewelry, textiles, paintings and prints.
Marburger Farm | 2248 South Highway 237, Round Top, Texas 78954
9/27 - 10/1
• Avery Lawrence: Moving a Tree Heiner Contemporary is thrilled to announce its participation in (e)merge, a new art fair located in Washington, DC. The gallery's room at the fair will feature a multi-media presentation by Avery Lawrence, a Charlottesville, VA artist whose work revolves around performance-based, public interventions. Lawrence's work for (e)merge, titled Moving a Tree, documents and re-presents a performance centered on the story of a felled tree. It comprises numerous elements, including live performance, video, installation, and drawing.
Rubell Family's Capitol Skyline Hotel | 10 "I" Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
• Old Town Boutique District's Annual Scavenger Hunt The Old Town Boutique District is celebrating its fourth anniversary by giving away more than $6,000 in gift cards and gifts from participating merchants during its Annual Scavenger Hunt. When you visit a participating store, show your passports to the merchant and receive a free gift. Plus get your passport stamped by each of the participating merchants and be entered to win one of 30 $100 gift cards or the grand prize of a $3000 shopping spree.
Old Town Boutique District | Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Send it to us. We publish every week: