This being the last weekend of September, we can soon expect the leaves to start changing colors, the temperatures to start dipping and the run-up to Halloween and the other fall and winter holidays to kick off in earnest. Before you totally immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of autumn, check out the sales and events in this edition of the Weekend Guide. Then, pass it on and send us your own sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Oeuf Robin Crib Sale at DesignPublic Ever popular Oeuf Robin Crib is available for a limited time for $499.
• Blu Dot + Fab The companies are coming together to create several Blu Dot designed furniture pieces in exclusive custom Fab colors for the first time ever, building a brand-new inventory of products to be sold on Fab.com. The sale products will include special new colors of Strut, Real Good Chair, Cant Desk, and the LilyPad coffee table.
• Jayson Home Fall Upholstery Sale 20% off all upholstered furniture, including all sofas, chairs, beds and ottomans. Includes in stock items and custom orders. Sale includes the new fall line.
• Jensen-Lewis Comfort Sleeper Sale Save $300 on any Comfort Sleeper at this one-a-year event.
• Lightology Overstock Sale Up to 55% off overstock and floor models.
• loll Designs Sale at Clever Tomato Save 15% and get free shipping with the loll Designs Annual September Sale at Clever Tomato.
• Knoll 15% Off Annual Sale at AllModern Save 15% and get free white glove delivery on all Knoll products.
• YLighting LZF Lamps Sale Save 30% on all Lzf Lamp designs, handmade in Spain using wood veneer.
• Design Public/Loll Designs September Sale 15% off ALL Loll products plus free shipping.
• Vermont Woods Studios' Annual Fall Shaker Sale Take 10% off any single piece, 15% off any two pieces, or add more to save 20% all fine wood Shaker style furniture made in Vermont with your choice of natural cherry, maple, oak or walnut wood.
• CedarWorks Indoor Playsets Sale at My Urban Child 10%-20% off on all CedarWorks indoor Playsets. When it gets cold or rainy outside just bring the party indoors.
• Pompanoosuc Mills Sale 25% off dining plus 20% off everything else.
• DwellStudio Upholstery SaleModern home and lifestyle brand DwellStudio is hosting a special month-long sale on all upholstered items. All upholstered sofas, chairs, ottomans and gliders will be offered at a 20% discount both online at and at all three store locations.
Online and in stores
• Saatchi Online 100 Curators, 100 Days Discover emerging artists from around the world. Each day at 12am PST, Saatchi will reveal a new collection of 10 works, selected by top curators from the most prestigious museums and galleries.
• Greentea Design's Kitchen and Bath Sale Save up to 20% on stunning Asian-inspired kitchen and bath cabinetry.
• The Davis Flea An open-air market featuring vendors of vintage, antique, repurposed wares and produce all situated in the heart of Davis Square.
The Davis Flea | 52 Holland Street, Somerville, Massachusetts 02144
Every Sunday through 10/28
• Design Harvest Check out Chicago's street festival celebrating the home. Peruse the best local furniture and accessory makers, vintage dealers, antique collectors and local retailers of home design.
Design Harvest | Grand Avenue, Between Damen and Wood, Chicago, Illinois
9/29 - 9/30: 11am - 8pm
• Sawbridge Studios' Idea Tree Exhibit A single local tree, downed during a violent storm which struck Chicago in 2011, lives on in Idea Tree, an inspired exhibit of fresh ideas in furniture and accessories design. The Idea Tree exhibit is organized and sponsored by Sawbridge Studios, in collaboration with Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), Chicago and Horigan Urban Forest Products of Skokie. Following a successful 1-month run earlier this summer at Chicago's Inland Steel Building, the entire exhibit now moves to the Chicago Center for Green Technology.
Chicago Center for Green Technology | 445 North Sacramento Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 60612
• Gregory Jacobsen: "Overwhelming Acrid Odor of Potential Paramour" Chicago artist, Gregory Jacobsen will present new paintings and works on paper in his sixth solo show at Zg Gallery. Inspired by the Chicago Imagists and Harry Who, Gregory Jacobsen's paintings explore the fringes of society, shining a spotlight on the beautiful freaks and geeks that populate his world as he seeks to reverse the insider/outsider societal roles to the point that "normal" is no longer the norm.
Zg Gallery | 300 West Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
Opening Reception: 9/7: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Exhibition: Through 10/13
• Vintage Garage Chicago With space for at least 100 dealers, Vintage Garage Chicago is the city's newest venue for buying and selling vintage and antique merchandise.
Vintage Garage Chicago | 5051 North Broadway, Chicago, Illinois 60640
10/21: 9am - 4pm
• Hawkins/Hawkins: One Saw Everything, One Saw Nothing This exhibition brings together two masters of self-taught art who share a name and a talent for using simple materials to create compelling images: William Hawkins and Hawkins Bolden. The creations of these two artists, one possessing a keen sense of touch and the other a unique vision of the world around him, have a powerful impact when viewed side by side in this exhibition.
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art | 756 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642
• She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II The Pritzker Military Library is pleased to announce its latest exhibit, She's a WOW: Women's Service Organizations in World War II, a retrospective that celebrates women and the critical role they played in the Allied victory of World War II. The exhibit gives credence to accomplishments during the war period and addresses a little known chapter of the conflict - a historical omission that the Pritzker Military Library hopes to correct. Curated by the librarians and collections staff, the multimedia exhibit includes prints, recruiting posters, photographs, and other media – and allows women who served their country to share stories in their own words, with printed first-person accounts and an audio tour featuring the voices of the women themselves.
Pritzker Military Library | 104 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603
Through April 2013
• Bonhams 20th Century Decorative Arts A prominent selection of Hollywood inspired and owned early and mid-century furniture and decorative arts will be featured in this auction. Highlights include works from George Maitland Stanley, sculptor of the Oscar statuette; set, furniture and costume designer Paul Iribe; the personal collection of actor, comedian and writer Cheech Marin featuring René Lalique pieces from the Oviatt building, downtown LA's first Art Deco structure; legendary director John Huston and the estates of noted film producer and talent agent, Charles Feldman and his wife, actress and photographer Jean Howard.
Bonhams | 7601 West Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90046
Preview: 9/28 - 9/30
Auction: 10/1: 10am
• Design Intersects Everything Made City of West Hollywood's celebrated Avenues of Art, Fashion and Design District is pleased to present, DIEM - Design Intersects Everything Made, an innovative, one-day symposium to inspire, educate and encourage good design. Captains and enthusiasts of the design industries are invited to engage with one another and mix, through a series of events that will combine the intelligence and beauty of good design. Culturally resonating discussions, interactive forums, trade presentations and keynotes from leaders in the fields of design, fashion, architecture, fine arts and culinary arts, redefine the rapidly changing design and luxury goods industries.
See website for locations
10/5: 10am - 6pm
• "Enduring Beauty" at Artspace Warehouse "Enduring Beauty" Artist Reception featuring Jessika Cardinahl's colorful and playful paintings of birds inspired by Maya Angelou's "Caged Bird". The artist remarks "The journey of realization is an emotional response to the fabric of life. My technique of expression is truthfully direct. Colours flow, lines delineate, form and shapes blossom out beyond the height and breadth of the paper. To the viewer perhaps an emotional understanding beyond color, shape and stroke evolves. Stimulus and response are my favorite playmates."
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard; Los Angeles, California 90036
• California's Designing Women, 1896-1986 The Autry National Center presents California's Designing Women, 1896-1986, an unprecedented exhibition that honors forty-six women designers and includes more than 200 examples of textiles, ceramics, furniture, lighting, jewelry, clothing, and graphics. These functional and decorative objects--from Arts and Crafts to Art Deco to Mid-century Modern and beyond--exemplify California's national and international reputation for unrestrained creativity.
Autry National Center | 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California 90027
• Artemide Moving Sale Iconic lighting fixtures are up to 90% off.
Artemide | 277 Giralda Avenue, Coral Gables, Florida 33134
• Exhibition A Pop-Up Gallery Online contemporary art venture Exhibition A – known for partnering with the biggest names in contemporary art like Richard Prince, Nate Lowman, Aurel Schmidt, and Kim Gordon to create exclusive, accessible editions of their work – will stage a rare offline opportunity to preview, view and collect a range of prints, including new works launching on the site later this year. The Exhibition A Pop Up Store will take over Half Gallery.
Half Gallery | 208 Forsyth Street, New York, New York 10002
9/29: 12pm - 6pm
• Elliot Kreloff at the MoMA Design Store Next up in the MoMA Design Store's book series is Elliot Kreloff, an illustrator and a designer. Kreloff will hold a reading of his biggest titles, "Bigger Than Daddy," "Flip-A-Color," "Flip-A-Face," and "Mighty Max" and answer questions from the audience.
MoMA Design Store | 81 Spring Street, New York, New York 10012
9/29: 11am - 12:30pm
• Cassina, Poltrona Frau, & Cappellini 3-Day Warehouse Sale Up to 70 percent off showroom samples, overstock and selected items from the three premier Italian furniture makers of the Poltrona Frau Group. Shuttle bus service available from train station. Major credit cards accepted. Delivery available.
Cassina USA | 200 McKay Road, Huntington Station, New York 11746
9/28: 10am - 6pm
9/29: 10am - 6pm
9/30: 11am - 5pm
• Vitra Sample Sale Join The Vitra Store in the Meatpacking District for its annual Sample Sale. A wide selection of design classics, modern favorites and task chairs by designers such as Jean Prouvé, Hella Jongerius, Alberto Meda will be up to 60% off retail prices. Plus, the first person in line on Saturday can purchase the Hella Jongerius XS Polder Sofa in anthracite for $ 1,000 - a retail value of $ 9,305.
The Vitra Store | 29 Ninth Avenue, New York, New York 10014
9/29: 8am - 6pm
9/30: 8am - 6pm
• Juliska Annual Warehouse Sale This year Juliska's annual warehouse sale is moving under a big top tent and is not to be missed with huge new deliveries and prices like never before - 50%-75% off everything! Juliska's 5,000 square foot tent will be filled with second quality and retired Juliska ceramics, glass, lighting, linens and more -and as an extra bonus, fabulous home and women's accessories from luxury brands you know and love will also be for sale.
Juliska | 465 Canal Street, Stamford, Connecticut 06902
• Tiger Lily's Home Hamptons Pop Up Tiger Lily's Greenwich is bringing their full-service design studio to the Hamptons for the summer. With 1,500-square-feet of studio space on Highway 27, Tiger Lily's Home will offer beachside sophistication with custom creative ranging from pillows and bedding to furnishings and home accents. The studio boasts signature pieces approved by mother-daughter team, Betsy and Samantha Knapp. From antique to mid-century modern, each piece of furniture has been hand-touched and refinished.
Tiger Lily's Home | 103 Hayground Road, Water Mill, New York 11976
• City Modern City Modern, presented by Audi, is a joint venture celebrating design, co-created by the Dwell and New York editorial teams, led by Amanda Dameron and Wendy Goodman respectively. TICKETS AND SCHEDULE
10/1 - 10/7
• My Century (An Illustrated Guide for Aliens) Mike Weiss Gallery is pleased to present My Century (An Illustrated Guide for Aliens), the gallery's second solo exhibition by Marc Séguin. The title, like his latest body of work, is rich with cynicism, melancholia, and sarcastic humor. Unabashedly tackling hot-button issues such as economic disparity, human rights, and environmental exploitation, Séguin's large-scale paintings are deceptively beautiful reflections of the era in which they were produced.
Mike Weiss Gallery | 520 West 24th Street, New York, New York 10011
• ABC Carpet & Home Custom Upholstery Sale ABC Carpet & Home's annual Special Order Sale offers up to 25% off custom upholstery orders on various collections, including Ralph Lauren, Dwell, Cobble Hill, Arper, Barbara Barry and Gus*.
ABC Carpet & Home | 888 Broadway, New York, New York 10003
• Smoke and Mirrors at Porter Contemporary Porter Contemporary is pleased to announce Smoke and Mirrors, a solo exhibition of paintings by Jason Bryant. Bryant explores loneliness, vulnerability and frailty through these beautifully photo-realistically rendered film stills coupled with either Bryant's signature skateboard graphics which have become so popular or his pixelated characters.
Porter Contemporary | 548 West 28th street, 3rd Floor, New York, New York 10001
Exhibit through 10/20
• Clover Market Over 100 carefully selected vendors with antiques & collectibles, original art, vintage clothing and jewelry, and finely handcrafted items will convene in downtown Ardmore, Pennsylvania at this open-air market. Recently named a "Best Vintage Sale" by Flea Market Style Magazine, Clover is free and open to the public and a popular local event, drawing customers and vendors from all around the region.
Clover Market | 12 East Lancaster Avenue, Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003
10:14: 10am - 5pm
11/4: 10am - 5pm
• Urban Photo Safari # 3: Ducking Locals This Urban Photo Safari series is all about taking back touristy spots with local attitude. Why should out-of-towners be the only ones to visit scenic postcard points around the city? This week, ride the Ducks and hit the historic 'hoods around town on that ubiquitous boat on wheels. You'll hit 20 different stops total - including Lombard Street, Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, Coit Tower, and various other places on land - but we'll also hit the water, going around Pier 52 and the two large Cape Horn ships and then into McCovey Cove.
Duck Central | 2766 Taylor Street, San Francisco, California 94133
9/29: 3pm - 5pm
• Nantucket Home Comfort Sleeper Sale Don't miss the lowest prices of the year during the National Comfort Sleeper Sale! Can a sleeper be comfortable as a sofa and as a bed? Yes. Not only is the Comfort Sleeper by American Leather the most comfortable sleeper sofa as rated #1 in America, but it is also a space saver. With no bars and no springs, each rest will actually be RESTFUL! Choose between 6 bed sizes (sofa or sectional layout), 13 styles, and over 300 fabric and leather options.
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway Street, Chico, California 95928
• Nantucket Home Fall Home Sale Save up to 30% off all special order furniture, upholstery, casegoods, area rugs, bedding, fabrics, and window treatments. Save up to 60% on many in-stock items as well. This Fall Home Sale is customized to fit your needs - you choose the style, fabric, color, finish, and size.
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway Street, Chico, California 95928
• Garza Marfa at Heath Designer/makers Jamey Garza and Constance Holt-Garza are coming to Heath San Francisco and bringing they're bringing with them the designs of Marfa, Texas. This event also marks the Bay Area launch of Garza's leather furniture line, available exclusively in California at Heath's Los Angeles and San Francisco locations. Recent highlights for the furniture include a new bar stool design as well as three new color options for the vibrant powder-coated bases of his pieces: magenta, yellow and blue/green.
Heath San Francisco | 2900 18th Street, San Francisco, California 94110
Opening: 9/29: 5pm - 8pm
Exhibit: Through 11/11
• 12 Nights of Anniversary Celebration for Ligne Roset San Francisco Ligne Roset, the renowned French furniture and lifestyle brand, will celebrate theSan Francisco showroom's 10th anniversary with a 12-night celebration. Ligne Roset will open its doors after hours to the Bay Area community and industry leaders in the areas of design, architecture, technology, politics and sports over four successive weekends. The showroom will transform to an evening craft bar featuring the best mixologist bar team on the West Coast creating one-of-a-kind drinks, featuring music and complimentary hors d'oeuvres. Paid parking access will be available.
Ligne Roset | 162 King Street, San Francisco, California 94107
9/27 - 9/29: 7pm - 11pm
10/4 - 10/6: 7pm - 11pm
• Accent European Floor Model Sale Accent European, an Italian kitchen and bath cabinet store located in downtown Walnut Creek is moving and selling all of its showroom models. Products range between 40-70% off and are from the Italian Karol, Miton and Composit lines. The cabinetry is gorgeous, modern, sleek, smart and environmentally friendly. Appliances where present, are included, as well as countertops, interior drawer accessories, and faucets. Additional coordinating modules can be ordered, also at a greatly reduced cost.
Accent European | 1571 Botelho Drive, Walnut Creek, California 94596
• Ludlow Market Fabulous vintage and antique furniture and furnishings for all classic and fun design styles from many great merchants with unique and varied design styles. There will be something for everyone that loves vintage style. Featured vendors will be Ludlow, Seabold Vintage Market, The Weekender, OddCloth and Petit and Olson, plus many more.
Seabold Community Hall | 14450 Komedal Road NE, Bainbridge 98110
9/29: 2pm - 6pm
• Creative Classics Comfort Sleeper Sale Save $300 on the American Leather Comfort Sleeper.
Creative Classics | 906 King Street, Alexandra, Virginia 22314
• Ekster Antiques Barn Sale Event Ekster Antiques is filling their historic 8,000-square-foot former dairy barn from top to bottom (literally!) with a fantastic selection of European, Belgian and Scandinavian-style antiques,both old and vintage furniture, home accessories and garden decor. Lots of amazing vintage and antique merchandise from recent buying trip to Europe too.
Ekster Antiques | 38532 Pheasant Hill Lane, Hamilton, Virginia 20158
9/28 - 9/30: 10am - 5pm
• Washington Design Center Dream Home The Washington Design Center is throwing open the doors to the 2012 DreamHome themed Design Craft. Celebrating the next generation of design in Washington, D.C., eight emerging interior designers have been selected to create rooms inspired by the works featured in the exhibition "40 Under 40: Craft Futures," opening this summer at the Renwick Gallery.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
• Detroit is No Dry Bones: Photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara Sociologist Camilo Jose Vergara has documented Detroit's decline for over 25 years. His photographs illustrate the tension between Detroit's industrial ruins and its surviving communities as the city has continued to shrink and reinvent itself.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
9/30 - 2/18/13
• The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art Just as the brands of today strive to do--from political candidates to consumer products--the Ottoman Empire represented itself at home and abroad through a single, instantly recognizable visual aesthetic. This exhibition at The Textile Museum chronicles how one of the world's most powerful empires adopted a singular artistic style and how that style gained lasting influence in the region.
The Textile Museum | 2320 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
Send it to us. We publish every week:
(Images: Garza Marfa at Heath; Cassina, Poltrona Frau & Cappellini 3-Day Warehouse Sale; Ekster Antiques Barn Sale Event; Knoll 15% Off Annual Sale at AllModern