The number of sales and events in our Weekend Guide seems to grow every week. This week, we have quite a number of national sales — Knoll, Graham & Brown, Dane Decor and more. We've got you covered regionally, too — from the Rago 20th Century Design Auction in New York to Design Harvest in Chicago and Eames Words at A+D Musuem in Los Angeles. Check out the Weekend Guide, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Knoll Space Annual Sale Knoll has announced that its iconic collection of residential furniture will be available at a 15% discount at over 100 Knoll Space retailers in both the United States and Canada.
• Graham & Brown Fall 3-Day Sale 25% off All regularly priced products.
10/1 - 10/3
• Baker Season of Style Event Celebrate the bounty of the season with storewide savings. 5% off casegoods; 10% off dining tables and chairs; 15% off upholstery.
In North American showrooms
• Dane Decor Sale Live better, right now with the Dane Decor 40% off sale.
• Pompanoosuc Mills Fall Sale Enjoy 25% off any standard Pompy furniture order. Everything you need to refresh your home — dining room, living room, bedroom and kitchen. Fully customizable furniture, handcrafted in Vermont.
Online and in showrooms
• MGBW Special Order PLUS Event It's ON! Save 20% on all special order upholstery, tables/storage, rugs, lighting & accessories at Mitchell Gold Bob Williams.
• Bambeco's Annual Rug Sale Receive 20% off all styles and colors. Includes everything from Bamboo Silky Shag Rugs (chenille inspired shag rugs in bold colors) to Jute Rugs, Jute & Wool Rugs, Natural Blend Rugs (Jute, Abaca, Hemp, Coir), Sisal Grass Rugs, Villager and Mountain Bamboo Weave Rugs, Wood Chair Mats (natural or dark cherry wood) and Doormats. Plus get free shipping on orders over $100.
10/3 - 10/17
• The Shade Store Woven Woods Sale All Woven Woods at The Shade Store are on sale 10% off. The Shade Store's Woven Wood Shades are a natural design option for any stylish interior. All are hand-made using the finest environmentally responsible materials available.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• CB2's Unlock Affordable Modern Modern furniture brand CB2 is kicking off "Unlock Affordable Modern," a unique multi-city initiative that will run from October 1 through December 18. CB2 street teams dressed in signature CB2 orange will travel to 11 urban markets across the U.S. and Canada, giving away $100,000 in total prizes via 95,000 uniquely coded orange keys, which customers can bring into stores for a chance to win CB2 Shop Cards ranging in value from $10 to $1000. INFORMATION & LIST OF CITIES/DATES
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Portland Symphony Orchestra Designer Show House The Portland Symphony Orchestra presents the 13th biennial Designer Show House. Seventeen top local designers will renovate fifteen distinct spaces in an historic house on Portland's picturesque Western Promenade. The PSO Show House combines old and new in coastal design, showcasing the designers' innovative talents and the classic beauty of Portland, Maine.
PSO Designer Show House | 149 Western Promenade, Portland, Maine 04102
• Dick: A Story of Whaling and The United States It wasn't until the X-Files' Scully drew the comparison of Mulder's obsessive nature to Captain Ahab's pursuit of the white whale, did artist Shawn Beeks feel the need to read Herman Melville's Moby Dick. Shawn Beeks painted his way through his interpretation of the Moby Dick story with two of the smallest watercolor brushes available. Beeks' newest artwork, Dick: A Story of Whaling and the United States. In Shawn's words, "The strongest message to one could take away from Melville's 1851 masterpiece is that Captain Ahab is a dick."
The Slingluff Gallery | 11 West Girard Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
10/1 - 10/30
• Branca Warehouse Sale Take 30-50% of antiques, home furnishings, and accessories.
Branca | 17 East Pearson Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611
• Design Harvest This one of a kind fest will feature Chicago's best local furniture and home accessory makers, vintage and antique collectors, and local retailers of the home design industry.Between perusing design vendors or making art, fest-goers can enjoy family hay rides or stroll hand-in-hand enjoying delicious food
Design Harvest | Grand Avenue, Between Damen and Wood Street, Chicago, Illinois 60622
10/1: 11am - 8pm
10/2: 11am - 8pm
• Fine Furnishings and Fine Crafts Show The 6th Annual Milwaukee Fine Furnishings & Fine Craft Show features handcrafted furniture, furnishings, fine art and crafts for sale, order or commission from approximately 75 exhibitors from across North America. While almost half of the exhibitors are talented Wisconsin residents, the show also features exceptional artisans from Illinois, Michigan, California, Indiana, Maryland, Maine, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Vermont.
Harley Davidson Museum | 400 West Canal Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201
• Thomasville of Oak Brook Grand Opening Visit the newest Chicago location in Oak Brook Promenade and to enter to win a $1,000 gift card and tour the beautiful showroom.
Thomasville | 3011 Butterfield Road, Suite 110, Oak Brook, Illinois 60523
• Modernica Annual Factory Sale This sales event only happens once per year. There will be some classic modern pieces available at a very reasonable cost. Items will be marked 20-80% off.
Modernica | 2901 Saco Street, Los Angeles, California 90058
10/1: 10am - 4pm
• Eames Words at A+D Musuem For the first time, the words of Charles and Ray Eames will be the lens of an exhibit, enveloping the visitor in a 21st century typographic "surround". Their philosophy of design and life will be explored through Eames' quotes, shown graphically (as well as live on film), and complemented by the display of unexpected everyday objects, ranging from food to a keg of nails, to an inter-active digital experience.
A+D Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
Opening Reception: 10/6
Exhibit: 10/1 - 1/16
• Casting: Interior Design Series Authentic Entertainment (Bravo's Flipping Out; TLC's Toddlers & Tiaras) is seeking charismatic, upscale, sophisticated couples and families in the greater Los Angeles area for a new network makeover series for a free home interior re-design by our celebrity home designer. Apply with recent photos of you and your partner/spouse/family, photos of the room(s) you would like redesigned, why you need these rooms redesigned, and your contact info to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Collecting in Los Angeles 1945 - 1980 A three week exhibit that explores the collecting practices of Mr. Richard Dorso, a native Californian, who at age 101 left behind a unique art collection spanning much of the 20th century. LAMA will produce a special one-owner catalogue that will feature photographs of the collection in-situ by Grant Mudford and a special introduction by Norman Lear.
LA Modern Auctions & YHBHS Interior Showcase | 16145 Hart Street, Van Nuys, California 91406
Exhibit: 9/19 - 10/8
• Artists of the East End Spanierman Gallery is pleased to announce the opening of Artists of the East End, featuring works created from the mid-twentieth century to the present by artists who have lived and worked on eastern Long Island.
Spanierman Modern | 45 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022
• Rago 20th Century Design Auction Over 1,000 lots of early 20th century and modern crafts and designs up for public auction.
Rago Arts | 333 North Main Street, Lambertville, New Jersey 08530
Preview: 9/30: 10am - 8pm; 10/1: 9am - 12pm
Auction: 10/1: 12pm
• Jensen-Lewis Sale Enjoy sale pricing on all Comfort Sleepers from American Leather. Rated a "Best-Buy" by Consumer Digest, this revolutionary Sleeper Sofa is one of a kind. Available in a full array of sizes in fabric and leather as well as options such as a Tempur-Pedic mattress. This manufacturer sponsored annual event is the only discount of the year.
Jensen-Lewis | 89 7th Avenue, New York, New York 10011
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people's needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
9/8 - 11/30
• Lost + F(o)und Lost + F(o)und promises to be an inspiring evening to Drink, Donate & Discover DIY Sustainable Design! Experience a one-of-a-kind creative evening — a county-fair-style event, with folk music played on upcycled instruments by local musicians of Green Strum. Step right up and donate for your tool of choice at the tool booth midway and help support Perennial's innovative programming.100% of proceeds will benefit Perennial, a new non-profit social enterprise that promotes a creative and sustainable lifestyle for all. Perennial turns trash into treasure and teaches the St. Louis community to do the same.
Bridge Tap House & Wine Bar | 1004 Locust, St. Louis, MO 63101
10/6: 6pm - 8:30pm
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Printin' in the Kitchen In this workshop you will carve your own food-inspired stamps and create projects by printing on paper and fabric. You will make recipe cards, stationery, adorable jars and a tea towel and have fun with relief printing and image transfer printing. REGISTRATION
Yellow Owl Workshop | 650 Florida Street, San Francisco, California 94110
• Propeller Floor Sample Sale A big floor model sale is going on now! Save up to 50% on floor models, over stock and assorted goodies, including sofas, tables, lighting, rugs, and accessories.
Propeller | 555 Hayes Street, San Francisco, California 94102
• Retro @ Home Last days of Summer Sale Save up to 20% on all merchandise, including sofas, tables, lighting, rugs, and accessories plus Dexter Seating Collection.
Retro @ Home | 3811 San Pablo Avenue, Emeryville, California 94608
• Nantucket Home Comfort Sleeper Event Nantucket Homes is having their annual American Leather Comfort Sleeper Event. Comfort, style, fashion and function blended together to make the most stylish and most comfortable sleeper sofa available. Space saving, no bars, no springs, and many fabric, leather and finish options. Lowest prices of the year and in-home by the holidays!
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway, Chico, California 95928
• Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris The de Young hosts an extraordinary exhibition of more than 100 masterpieces by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) from the permanent collection of Paris's world-renowned Musée National Picasso. The once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, made possible only because of the temporary closure of the Musée Picasso until 2012 for extensive renovations, comprises paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints drawn from every phase of the artist's career.
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, California 94118
• Marburger Farm Antique Show This outdoor show features more than 350 dealers from across the United States and the world. The 43 acre field boasts ten large tents and 12 historic buildings offering an extraordinary range of antiques including but not limited to: architectural, English, Continental, Asian, industrial, garden, Americana, painted furniture, fine art, early Texas, mid century modern, French, silver, jewelry, textiles, paintings and prints.
Marburger Farm | 2248 South Highway 237, Round Top, Texas 78954
• Washington Design Center Sample Sale Check out the Consumer Day of the Washington Design Center Sample Sale for discontinued floor samples in select showrooms with price reductions of up to 75 percent off. Your $5 admission benefits the children's cancer programs at Georgetown University Hospital.
Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW, Washington DC 20024
10/1: 11am - 3pm
• Barclay Butera Appearance at Urban Country As part of Bethesda Row's Boutique Week, meet internationally-renowned, Los Angeles-based interior designer Barclay Butera as he premieres his new line of home furnishings at Urban Country Bethesda Row in his only area appearance. Cocktails and hors d'oevures. RSVP
Urban Country | 7117 Arlington Road, Bethesda, Maryland 20814
10/6: 5pm - 8pm
Send it to us. We publish every week:
Images: As credited above.