The kids have gone back to school, the temperatures are starting to shift to the lower end of the thermometer, and there's no denying that we're marching steadily toward fall. Along the way, stop to check out some of the sales and events we've gathered in our Weekend Guide. From the ever-popular Renegade Craft Fair in Chicago to Potted's End of Summer Sale in Los Angeles, there's something for everyone in this week's list. Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• The Thousand Words Project Receive a signed 8x10" print for every $50 you donate. For $200, get a set of four PLUS a bird made just for you by the art center children! All proceeds benefit Art Creation Foundation for Children Inc, a nonprofit arts organization created for education and personal growth of children in need in Jacmel, Haiti, which currently supports 95 children and their friends and families.
• Arhaus Store Wide Sale Save during the Arhaus Furniture annual Storewide Sale! Seasonal accessories, upholstery, dining tables and chairs, and bedroom and office furniture is all discounted.
Online and In stores
• Nest Living Cherner Sale Enjoy 15% off + get free shipping on all Cherner products at Nest Living. Designer Norman Cherner, a midcentury icon, can be found in design collections worldwide and his work is now available to a new generation of furniture collectors. All Cherner Products are made to order in the USA.
• Studio North Design Labor Day Sale Save 25% off all pieces of the Block and Board Shelving Collection, including the very cool Stuff Block which lets you clear the clutter and sort your stuff.
• Ethan Allen Style Workshops Join Ethan Allen for a style workshop that's all about you. Their pros will lead you through a fun session of activities and discussions designed to give you the answer to the question: "What's My Signature Style?" Check online for the workshop nearest you.
• Clever Tomato Outdoor Annual Fall Sale Save 10% off Loll kids outdoor furniture.
• Lightology Alico Sale Save 20% off all Alico fixtures, bathroom, pendants, Ceiling lights, wall sconces and more.
• YLighting End of Summer Lighting Sale Save 30-40% on designer lighting, including LZF Lamps, Le Klint and Illuminating Experiences. Plus, get free Shipping.
• Baker Season of Style Event Celebrate the bounty of the season with storewide savings. 5% off casegoods; 10% off dining tables and chairs; 15% off upholstery.
In North American showrooms
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
• Cuddledown Annual Pillow Sale Save 25% off on all pillows. Choose from the quality Maine-made down and down alternative pillows, in addition to specialty neck and back support pillows, latex, cotton, and silk fill pillows.
• Waterdream: The Art of Bathroom Design Duravit's partnership with design powerhouse Philippe Starck has been recognized with accolades and awards across the globe. Duravit Starck will be on display as part of a popular exhibit entitled WaterDream: the Art of Bathroom Design, mounted at the newly relocated Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA). Visitors will learn how Philippe Starck in collaboration with manufacturers Duravit, Axor and Hoesch, revolutionized the bathroom in the early nineties when he transformed the entire bathroom from a small obscure room into a relaxing retreat drenched in natural light, warm materials and uncompromising modernity. Starck's approach signaled a turning point in bathroom design in his creation of rooms that expressed a spectrum of moods, emotions and expressions, rather than just creating a rational and utilitarian space."
MODA | 1315 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30309
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Portland Symphony Orchestra Designer Show House The Portland Symphony Orchestra presents the 13th biennial Designer Show House. Seventeen top local designers will renovate fifteen distinct spaces in an historic house on Portland's picturesque Western Promenade. The PSO Show House combines old and new in coastal design, showcasing the designers' innovative talents and the classic beauty of Portland, Maine.
PSO Designer Show House | 149 Western Promenade, Portland, Maine 04102
9/9 - 10/2
• Renegade Craft Fair The Renegade Craft Fair returns for its 9th Annual Chicago Fair, held outdoors on Division Street between Damen and Paulina in Wicker Park. Expect to find a wide variety of incredible handmade goods at the Fair – ranging from jewelry, clothing, ceramics and stationery, to bath products, posters, housewares, comics, plush objects and more.
Renegade Craft Fair | Division Street between Damen and Paulina, Chicago, Illinois
9/10: 11am - 7pm
9/11: 11am - 7pm
• An Orange Moon's Or Best Offer Sale Bring your best negotiating skills to An Orange Moon's O.B.O. Sale. Give them your best reasonable offer on everything in the entire store!
An Orange Moon | 2436 West 59th, Chicago, Illinois 60629
• Branca Warehouse Sale Take 30-50% of antiques, home furnishings, and accessories.
Branca | 17 East Pearson Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611
• Potted's End of Summer Sale Potted's semi annual sale has everything in the entire store at 20% off and many things are reduced even more — up to 75%. They still have lots of inventory of Circle Pots, Hoop Chairs, Fermob Bistro Sets, Gainey Ceramics and much, much more.
Potted | 3158 Los Feliz Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90039
• A Night in Havana Join the AIA|LA Interior Architecture Committee for A Night in Havana! The annual Design Meets Los Angeles (DMLA) event will take place this year at The Annenberg Beach House in Santa Monica. Dress Code: Cuban Chic. TICKETS
The Annenberg Beach House | 415 Pacific Coast Highway, Santa Monica, California 90402
9/15: 6pm - 10pm
• ABC Carpet Sale Furniture, rugs, lighting, tabletop items and decorative accessories will be up to 75 percent off during the Bronx Warehouse Sale at ABC Carpet & Home
ABC Carpet & Home | 1055 Bronx River Avenue, Bronx, New York 10472
• Clary Antiques End of Summer Sale All merchandise is discounted by 35%.
Online and in store by appointment
Clary & Co. Antiques | 139 Franklin Street, 6th Floor, New York, New York 10013
• M&M Design International Sale Designer, one-of-a-kind, first edition and showroom sample rug sale. All rugs on sale, including many First Edition pieces from designers such as Missoni, Niba, Dakota Jackson and Adam Tihany. All Tibetan rugs are GoodWeave certified.
M&M Design International | 226 Westbury Avenue, Carle Place, New York 11514
• Point Pleasant Village Designer House Point Pleasant Village Designer House—the Ultimate Before and After. Tour this historic canal home and grounds to see how a team of talented designers, landscape designer, contractors, painters, and volunteers have transformed an 1850's parsonage into a charming, livable abode.
Point Pleasant Designer House | 34 River Road, Point Pleasant, Pennsylvania 18950
9/1 - 9/25
• Artists of the East End Spanierman Gallery is pleased to announce the opening of Artists of the East End, featuring works created from the mid-twentieth century to the present by artists who have lived and worked on eastern Long Island.
Spanierman Modern | 45 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022
• Jensen-Lewis Sale Enjoy sale pricing on all Comfort Sleepers from American Leather. Rated a "Best-Buy" by Consumer Digest, this revolutionary Sleeper Sofa is one of a kind. Available in a full array of sizes in fabric and leather as well as options such as a Tempur-Pedic mattress. This manufacturer sponsored annual event is the only discount of the year.
Jensen-Lewis | 89 7th Avenue, New York, New York 10011
• BMW Guggenheim Lab The BMW Guggenheim Lab is a mobile laboratory that will travel to nine major cities worldwide over six years. Led by international, interdisciplinary teams of emerging talents in the areas of urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will address issues of contemporary urban life through programs and public discourse. Its goal is the exploration of new ideas, experimentation, and ultimately the creation of forward-thinking solutions for urban life. The theme for Cycle 1 is Confronting Comfort. In New York, Berlin, and Asia, the BMW Guggenheim Lab will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people's needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment, and how to find a balance between notions of modern comfort and the urgent need for environmental and social responsibility.
BMW Guggenheim Lab | 33 East First Street, New York, New York 1003
• Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture Pratt Institute School of Architecture and Latin Pratt, a student research organization, will present "Breaking Borders: New Latin American Architecture," an exhibition highlighting contemporary architecture of the past 10 years from 45 firms representing more than 10 countries in Latin America. The work exhibited includes both built and proposed projects whose scope has been influenced by a history of political and social instability, invasive use of environmentally sensitive regions, rapid urbanization, social displacement, unique climate conditions, and the preservation of vast natural resources.
Hazel and Robert H. Siegel Gallery | 61 Saint James Place, Brooklyn, New York 11238
9/8 - 11/30
• New Work by Alex Duke at The Slingluff Gallery Alex Duke is a freelance designer based in Brooklyn, specializing in illustration, graphic design, and web design primarily working within the skateboard industry creating screen print ready artwork. The Slingluff Gallery is excited to host a solo show with Mr. Duke.
The Slingluff Gallery | 11 West Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
9/3 - 9/25
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Retro@Home Super Sidewalk Sale Retro@Home is celebrating the last days of summer by kicking off Labor Day with a super sidewalk sale. All vintage items are 20% off (excludes A.P by Vessel and periodicals) and Dexter Seating Collection is up to $250.00 off.
Retro@Home | 3811 San Pablo Avenue, Emeryville California 94608
• JOBY | Peter Stathis Design Event Join an evening of conversation with award winning designer Peter Stathis whose most recent lighting project, the JOBY | Peter Stathis Venture Collection, will be on display. RSVP
Propeller | 555 Hayes Street, San Francisco, California 94102
9/15: 7pm - 9pm
• San Francisco Living: Home Tours The American Institute of Architects, San Francisco chapter, and Center for Architecture + Design present the ninth annual San Francisco Living: Home Tours, a two-day open house event featuring a select number of modern residences. The popular weekend showcases modernism at its finest and is the first tour series in the Bay Area to promote residential architectural design from the architect's point of view. Projects are showcased with the designer(s) via an open house format, and tour participants have the opportunity to see some of the latest residential projects from the inside out, meet design teams, explore housing trends, and discover design solutions that inspire unique San Francisco living. INFORMATION & TICKETS
9/17 - 9/18: 10am to 4pm
• Nantucket Home Comfort Sleeper Event Nantucket Homes is having their annual American Leather Comfort Sleeper Event. Comfort, style, fashion and function blended together to make the most stylish and most comfortable sleeper sofa available. Space saving, no bars, no springs, and many fabric, leather and finish options. Lowest prices of the year and in-home by the holidays!
Nantucket Home | 603 Broadway, Chico, California 95928
• Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris The de Young hosts an extraordinary exhibition of more than 100 masterpieces by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881–1973) from the permanent collection of Paris's world-renowned Musée National Picasso. The once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, made possible only because of the temporary closure of the Musée Picasso until 2012 for extensive renovations, comprises paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints drawn from every phase of the artist's career.
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, California 94118
• Dine & Design at Jipsi Boho Dine & Design For Kids is aimed at kids 6 – 9 yrs. old (but also open to adults who are young at heart!). Chef Jonathan Kraft will whip up a fun meal, we'll have a great art project and a brief talk with a Designer Jenny B about the wild and wonderful world of design!
Jipsi Boho, 2008 Marconi Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63110
9/11: 5pm - 7pm
Send it to us. We publish every week: