Taking your kids to the White House this summer? If you can't make the trip, many books and online resources make it easy to explore the White House from home. Shown here is the Zweifel family's 50-foot replica of the White House in 1:12 scale. The miniature White House has working televisions, hand-carved chairs and tables, crystal chandeliers, accurate portraits, and is constantly updated to reflect the current White House decor. More on the White House replica and our list of White House resources for kids below the jump...
You can take a peak into the process for making the miniature White House in The White House in Miniature: Based on the White House Replica by Gail Buckland and find out about other White House replicas. AT LA also covered the Zweifel house: Zweifel's Mini Model of the White House
More Resources on the White House:
• The White House website has been recently revamped and has many info sources including White House 101, a slide show of First Pets, and a section dedicated to First Ladies
• A Kid's Guide To The White House: Is George Washington Upstairs?
by Betty Debnam
• The White House: An Illustrated History by Catherine O. Grace
• The President's House: 1800 to the Present The Secrets and History of the World's Most Famous Home by Margaret Truman
• Our White House: Looking In, Looking Out by David McCullough
• AT has been covering White House decor (this is probably more for you than for your kids!)
Do you have any good White House recommendations for kids?
(Images: the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum, Bill Clinton's cat Socks from the White House website)