If you love the visual interest that woven textures add to a space, and are looking for unique seating, here's a roundup of dynamite chairs that incorporate the woven aesthetic, whether it's using cord, leather, or heavy-duty cotton straps.The iconic red Risom chair above (designed by Jens Risom for Knoll in 1941) was originally made of a birch frame and surplus parachute straps. Nowadays, the woven pieces are heavy-duty cotton, providing just enough give that a cushion isn't needed. Likewise, the teak-and-leather Evon chair from Weylandts will stretch and give over time. The tightly woven cord of Wegner's gorgeous CH25 easy chair gives it a lively textural personality. Patricia Urquiola's outstanding woven specimen, from her Tropicalia line, incorporates thermoplastic polymer threads, leather, or polyester double-plaited cords, depending on the model. The Trennza chair, intended for outdoor use, seems interesting enough to place in a living room. Whether they're perched next to a coffee table or grouped in the dining room, these stunning pieces manage to bring a woven texture to seating in superbly eye-catching ways.
1. Risom Side Chair, from DWR.com
2. Patricia Urquiola's Tropicalia seating available at Unica home; more info at Moroso.it
3. Hans Wegner CH25 Easy Chair, from DanishDesignStore.com
4. Evon dining chair made with woven leather from Weylandts
5. The Trennza Side Chair (spied in a recent issue of Dwell), made by JANUS et Cie
Images: As linked above