Name: The Yard
Location: Long Island City, New York
Size: 650-square-feet — 1-bedroom condo
Modern Spaces has taken brokerage and marketing of new condos at the Yard to a new level. The model apartments benefit a long list of local artists and a female furniture design duo who transform salvaged wood scraps into signature pieces!
Nightwood, the deconstructed furniture and textiles company, is very into modern rusticity. That's just the look Modern Spaces and the Yard were looking for, so they basically gave Nightwood carte blanche to furnish a couple of model units. We-Are-Familia, a local art collective, provided all the artwork. Each model unit is a Pop-Up gallery, meaning that everything on display is also for sale. As artwork and furniture is purchased, the artists and the furniture makers provide similar replacements.
The impact is tremendous. The furnishings tie together well because they originate from one aesthetic. And the natural materials make for a very homey feel — rarely the case in a model apartment. It's great exposure for the artists and designers. It's a great new approach for marketing condos. And prospective buyers see something innovative, local, and sustainably produced - a combination of ideas that is inspiring from every angle.
• Wood tables, chairs, ladder, credenza, nightstand: Nightwood
• Cigarette Girl Photo: John Grande
• Handbuilt Lamps: Doug Newton
• Pine Trees and Silo Photo: Samantha Contis
• Fake China: Nille Svensson
• Birdcage: We-Are-Familia
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.