With all the hustle and bustle already underway, our bedroom is going to be a haven when the going gets tough this holiday season. And while our current bedroom doesn't have all the traditional Zen decor qualities, there are certain things we can do to make our space feel calm and relaxed.
- Introducing blues and greens will cool off the space, giving the bedroom more of a calming vibe.
- Make it a goal to pick up clothes at the end of every day. Return belongings to their proper homes so you'll awake to a non-cluttered environment. An easy way to ensure this will happen is using hooks in the bedroom or an S-hook in the closet.
- Just by making the bed everyday, your bedroom will appear larger (and cleaner) without lifting a cleaning product.
- Move a plant (or two) into the space for cleaner air and an overall charm factor.
- Most Feng Shui experts will tell you to skip under-the-bed storage. To keep the flow, purge the space for a lighter feeling bedroom. Not to mention, it'll be easier to keep the space underneath the bed clean when you've got nothing stored below.
- It seems that most of these Zen bedrooms practice using symmetry in the space. Two matching lamps or even mismatched bedside tables feels harmonious.
- If you can swing it without compromising privacy, sheer curtains go a long way in opening up a cramped space and allows tons of light to ooze in.
Apartment Therapy Readers, how do you keep a Zen vibe alive in your bedroom?
(Images: 1. Chocolate à chuva, 2. Karla's Moody Blues Bedroom, 3. NY House Tour: Jashiki and Philip's Urban Flow, 4. House Tour: Matt's Eclectic Luxury, 5. Flickr Find: Moxiesinclair's Green Serene Bedroom, 6. Look! A New Bedroom, 7-8, Kendra's 'Stone' & 'Onyx' Zen Bedroom)