It's not free, but an affordable service to pair with Google Voice is Magic Jack. It's a cheap replacement for your telephone land line. A small dongle plugs into your computer and runs software that routes your calls through the internet. The physical telephone port on a Magic Jack lets you plug in a fax machine and send/receive those odd faxes that we always seem to need now and again but can never find somewhere to do it.
MORE TELEPHONE SERVICE ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• How to Keep Your Number With Google Voice Voicemail
• Would You Say Goodbye To Your Land Line?
Box's recent offering of free 50GB cloud storage for life is changing the game (the offer was sent via the Dell Advantage Loyalty Program, but anyone can signup as a "coworker or friend" via this signup page), and we can't wait for competitors like Dropbox, Microsoft Skydrive, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive and the like to respond. With free 5-50GB of cloud storage (more with paid subscriptions), you can access your work from any computer, anywhere.
These cloud storage services makes collaborating with others significantly easier. In situations where you might want to share a set of files, it's as easy as sending a link by e-mail. The syncing features let you share all your work among multiple computers, with each user having a local copy so there's no network lag on a shared drive, or version control problems to worry about. It's free, easy, useful, and you should do it now.
MORE CLOUD STORAGE ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Pros and Cons: 5 Cloud Storage Options
• Box is Offering 50GB Cloud Storage For Life For Free!
Remote desktop websites and applications let you connect directly to a computer, showing your desktop and giving you full access as if you were sitting right in front of it. Some versions of Microsoft Windows come with Remote Desktop Connection built right in. Apple provides Remote Desktop for their Mac OS. I'm partial to LogMeIn as a free web based service to directly access any number of computers configured to the account. VNC is also a popular choice.
It's not always as blazing fast as if you were right there at your desk with your high speed connection, but when you absolutely need access to your entire computer and workflow, there's no better way than to remotely connect and just do it on your own workstation.
MORE REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTIONS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• How to Access Your Home Desktop While You're Away
• How LogMeIn Saved My Sanity From Parental Tech No-How
MORE HOME OFFICE PRODUCTIVITY ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Working At Home and Being Productive
• 10 Tips for Successfully Working from Home
• How To Increase Your Work Productivity at Home
• Improve Your Productivity With These 3 Easy Changes to Your Workflow
• 10 Steps to a Home Office You'll Love
• Home Office + Working From Home = More Productive? (Lifework)
• What's the Best Color For the Home Office? (Final Frame)